PDA

View Full Version : Tracking Treasure by Level 3.5

Deadtissue
2010-11-08, 09:30 AM
Quick (I hope) Question:

I have been DMing for a very long time and something just donned on me;
When doing up the treasure for my group I have been using the DM's guide wealth comparison table (pg 54) to ensure they are getting an appropriate amount of loot each level. I have also been counting all goods and magic items at 1/2 value toward this total as that is what the characters get when selling them. I tend to try and ensure about half the goods they receive are appropriate for the players use.

Is this right or am I now giving them too much loot per level?

Amphetryon
2010-11-08, 09:36 AM
Quick (I hope) Question:

I have been DMing for a very long time and something just donned on me;
When doing up the treasure for my group I have been using the DM's guide wealth comparison table (pg 54) to ensure they are getting an appropriate amount of loot each level. I have also been counting all goods and magic items at 1/2 value toward this total as that is what the characters get when selling them. I tend to try and ensure about half the goods they receive are appropriate for the players use.

Is this right or am I now giving them too much loot per level?

Unless your party is always selling the majority of goods and magic items you provide and using that gold to purchase what they want, it sounds like you're providing them with more loot than the default.

Is it becoming an issue for campaign balance reasons? If not, don't worry about it. If it is, just have something happen in-game to some of their loot: sundering and thieves are the most often used options here, both of which can promote good RP when done sparingly.

Deadtissue
2010-11-08, 10:49 AM
Thanks Amphetryon,

I have always done it that way and have engineered such events if items started to imbalance things.

I have been doing it that way for so long and finally reread the section the other day and thought...oh no, I have been doing it wrong for 10 years.

I have. I am going to do it the proper way for a bit and see how things change powerwise in my campaign.

PS. I am currently running Age of Worms and after a few more sessions I may post my notes on it.

Duke of URL
2010-11-08, 10:52 AM
If you're giving them loot to keep, as opposed to sell, you should value it at full price. On the other hand, note that some of the treasure should be consumables (scrolls, potions, wands, etc.), so treasure gained should outpace WBL by some factor.