PDA

View Full Version : Honk if you hate people honking car horns

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-08, 07:52 PM
Rant Time!:smallbiggrin::smallmad:

Cars have horns. You can honk these horns. It's very easy to do so. My, I guess we'll have to find some use for these horns! Let's see...

1) Blasting why joyriding. This one's good! I bet everyone else will love listening to us honk our horn for several minutes straight! What could possibly be more fun than that! Rev up that engine, friend, and lay on the horn!

---Okay, this is the worst, flagrant misuse of car horns I have had to endure. Seriously, what. the. expletive. What do the perpetrators of this inconsiderate madness get out of this? Do they derive some kind of pleasure from making noise pollution? Are they sadists who like causing discomfort to other people? Arrrrgh!:smallfurious:

2) Hey! Hey, buddy! Pal! Friend! Guy I know in another car/walking on the sidewalk! Oh, shoot, he can't hear me. Maybe part of the reason is because I'm only saying hey in my head instead of rolling down the window and actually calling out or something. Regardless, I know how to get my bud's attention! HONK! Now look so I can wave!

---:smallannoyed::smallmad: No. Car horns do not exist for you to randomly try to get the attention of your buddies. If they can hear you by you rolling down the window and yelling, do that. If they can't, then unless there really is a pressing reason you must contact them right then (and no, wanting to say hi does not count), don't. While this misuse isn't as much noise pollution as the previous, it is still highly problematic. First, it devalues the car horn: if you're using it for such frivolous reasons, why should someone pay attention to it when it isn't frivolous? Second, it can cause other drivers to start, which may or may not result in Bad Things TM. At the least, you've caused someone's heart to pound for no reason. Be sensitive.

3) Wait! That guy cut me off! HONK! Oh look, that guy came out of that side road in front of me! There wasn't any danger, since he actually calculated the speed right, but HEY! HONK! What's this?! Someone just passed me and then cut in front of me! That jerk! HONK!

---:smallannoyed: Look, I understand that you are Seriously Ticked Off TM. I understand that you wish to express your Supreme Displeasure TM. Guess what? Don't. The horn does not exist for you to show others how angry you are at them. This is true if the other person didn't break any laws. This is even true if the other person DID break a law. This is especially true if there was no threat of danger at all in what happened. The horn is not an ANGER:smallfurious:RAGE button.

4) What is the horn to be used for? EMERGENCIES. If someone does something from option #3 (cutting, coming out of a side road) or does anything else like suddenly braking, running a stop sign/red light, and it poses a safety hazard (and the majority of the time, doing things like running a stop sign/red light pose safety hazards if there are numerous people in the general area but might not if there is nobody there but the two of you [though it is still wrong and illegal to run the stop sign/red light]), honk the horn. It alerts not only the wrongdoer, but also others in the vicinity of the potential danger. It can prevent accidents. THAT'S WHAT IT'S FOR.

5) Along the same lines - if there is an absolute emergency (such as, say, a carjacker trying to kill you/take your car/rob you; or a sudden failure of your brakes) and you need to draw attention to yourself (such as to enlist aid or to warn others to get away from you), it is appropriate to honk the horn.

The car horn exists for emergency purposes: not for playing games, trying to get your buddy's attention, or expressing your displeasure with other drivers. Period.

Seriously, it is very frustrating. Who is with me on this? People Annoyed at Misuse of Car Horns Unite!

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-08, 07:55 PM
Not gonna lie, I honk when someone pisses me off. But mostly its if I almost hit them because they're not looking/being jerks.
Which I think totally justifies it >>
I'm telling them to look better, I swear!

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-08, 07:57 PM
I don't honk...ever. I have been tempted, though.

I'm looking at you, biker guy who cuts me off, then turns around to flip me off. Lucky for you I was paying attention, because if not, you would've been paste. -_-

Muz
2010-11-08, 07:58 PM
Along those lines: Car alarms.

By now, when I hear a car alarm I do not assume that someone's car is being broken into. When I hear a car alarm I assume that someone's car alarm is going off for no good reason, like a truck drove by or a cat sneezed or the wind changed direction ever-so-slightly.

And there's apparently a law on the books around here that outlaws honking if it's not an emergency. (I've never heard of it being enforced, though...)

TFT
2010-11-08, 08:01 PM
3) Wait! That guy cut me off! HONK! Oh look, that guy came out of that side road in front of me! There wasn't any danger, since he actually calculated the speed right, but HEY! HONK! What's this?! Someone just passed me and then cut in front of me! That jerk! HONK!

Honestly, number 3 makes you sound like your defending the cars that are suddenly merging in your lane without a blinker just when your about to speed up, meaning you had to step on the brake instead. (If you want to make assumptions about calculations of speed, I can make assumptions about not having the blinker on. :smalltongue:) I agree with you on 1 and 2, but some people need to learn that if your doing something like weaving in and out of cars at 70, which is usually when the above situations occur, that that's when accidents happen. It's being used as a warning, albeit not an immediate one like most other car accidents.(Please note that I have never actually honked my horn other then on my drivers exam, but I also haven't had the issue with merging yet)

Trog
2010-11-08, 08:17 PM
People are gonna use it for whatever they please and no ranting is gonna change anyone's behavior. I say if you want to be less annoyed by car horns loosen up about 'em. Or perhaps crank your stereo?

I use it to express displeasure, get people's attention in rare cases, and to warn other inattentive drivers. Gonna continue to too. *shrug*

Innis Cabal
2010-11-08, 08:21 PM
I use it to express displeasure, get people's attention in rare cases, and to warn other inattentive drivers. Gonna continue to too. *shrug*

And this is what they were made for. So you and everyone else should.

KerfuffleMach2
2010-11-08, 08:22 PM
I don't really use my horn much. Mostly if somebody does something that almost causes an accident, or if it's something along the lines of the light turning green and they're not paying attention.

I find it weird to see traffic jams in movies and shows and stuff where everybody is honking their horn. Because, at least around here, it's nothing like that at all.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-08, 08:24 PM
The reason I don't use my horn is usually because if the situation warranted it, I would rather focus all my energy into preventing an accident, and after that's done, the moment has passed.

Vaynor
2010-11-08, 08:30 PM
"I think we should only get 3 honks a month on the car horn. Then, someone cuts you off, you press the horn, and nothing happens. You're like, 'Crap! I wish I hadn't seen Ricky on the sidewalk!'"

~Mitch Hedburg

The only time I've had to use my car horn is when someone cut me off and almost caused an accident. I feel like that was warranted. :smalltongue:

Knaight
2010-11-08, 08:44 PM
I would agree with much of this rant, particularly regarding getting other motorists to start. What's worse is bicyclists, they will not have covered windows or other conveniences working as a shield noise. If they start and drift into the car lane, then they are paste. A relatively small movement can alter the course of a bike. But no, honking to wave is totally cool.

Eldonauran
2010-11-08, 08:50 PM
Honk if you hate people...

Oh, don't even get me started on ....

...honking car horns

Oh, darn. :smallsigh: Well, yes, that too. Had to go and limit it to one thing in particular but ok.

I completely agree with this rant. :smallamused:

But the third entry: If that driver had not used his turn signal properly (ie, signaled 100ft before he began his lane change and was one full car length ahead of me when he moved over) I might have been tempted to honk him. I usually don't unless I have to do some defensive driving to avoid 'kissing bumpers'. Blasted kids :smallmad:

KuReshtin
2010-11-08, 08:54 PM
I rarely use my car horn.
Mostly it's if I arrive at one of my friends' house to pick them up to go somewhere and I figure I want to make them aware that I'm there.

A couple of short bursts on the horn lets them know.

I don't use the horn while driving, much for the same reason as Cobra mentioned.

Jack Squat
2010-11-08, 09:00 PM
The only one I see wrong with this list is the 'joyriding' one. My dad does it when going over bridges and through tunnels just to be stupid - never really understood it, but I don't rage over it. I think everything else mentioned falls into "appropriate use" catagory, or at least it's not really a gross misuse of the horn.

Your last one doesn't make much sense. If someone's trying to carjack or otherwise attack you while you're in your car, why honk the horn rather than, say, drive off?

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 09:01 PM
So far I've only accidentally used mine and have yet to have cause to use mine. I suppose I'm just lucky. And don't seem to be made out of rage like most people when they're driving.

Very confusing how angry people get while driving. And they don't seem to notice that they're getting angry, which is the really weird thing.:smallconfused:

How do you not notice that you're grinding your teeth and audibly muttering a litany that curses the male sex while your knuckles whiten and your face flushes? Is frankly bizarre.

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-08, 09:56 PM
Regarding number three...

It's mostly a matter of whether what the person did was potentially dangerous or not, in my opinion. For example, if someone does come in front of you suddenly without a turn signal, that is a potential hazard, and honking may be warranted. But if someone is sitting at an intersection with their turn signal on, finally sees a break in traffic, and takes the opportunity, you shouldn't be honking at that person unless the break in traffic was dangerously small. Just because it was smaller than might be optimal (but still large enough that unless something really screwy happened, no accident could reasonably result), and therefore irritates you, does not mean you should honk.

(This exact scenario actually happened to me today. The situation was something like this:

===========================(traffic goes <-)
===========================(traffic goes <-)
=xX========================(traffic goes ->)
===========================(traffic goes ->)
.............................||xX||............(th is one's me)
.............................||||||............(ot her is other car)

Except multiply the distance between my car and theirs by about 6 or so. I was turning left. Shorter gap than desired, obviously, but not dangerously short. I had my turn signal on and had finally gotten a break in traffic. I took the turn and I went quickly enough that I was already settled in the other lane by the time we passed each other.)

That's what I was trying to say in the distinction between number 3 and number 4.

Also...yes, number 2 is a bad thing. The horn exists for emergencies, not for saying hello. You 1) desensitize people to car horns (think boy who cried wolf) and 2) could potentially cause accidents by startling people, especially those who have worked to not get desensitized.

As for cranking up the stereo...see desensitization above. If I make it so I can't hear frivolous honking, then I won't be able to hear emergency honking either. Furthermore, it's extremely rude to crank your stereo loud enough that it bothers people in other vehicles, which is really how loud you'd have to crank it up in order to drown out honking. I get :smallfurious: when I'm in a separate car/in a parking lot/walking on the sidewalk and I get noise pollution from someone else's stereo.

And the "Bad Person in Your Car" situation...well, that was just an example, and frankly, there are many people who wouldn't be physically capable of fighting off an assaulter inside their car (which was the scenario I was positing - that the intruder was already inside the car). Not that they shouldn't try, just that leaning on the car horn while struggling in order to draw attention to get help isn't a bad idea.

snoopy13a
2010-11-08, 10:12 PM
I rarely use my car horn.
Mostly it's if I arrive at one of my friends' house to pick them up to go somewhere and I figure I want to make them aware that I'm there.

A couple of short bursts on the horn lets them know.

I don't use the horn while driving, much for the same reason as Cobra mentioned.

That's one of my pet peeves as a couple of short bursts on the horn annoys the neighbors. I'm of the opinion that people in that situtation should:

1) Get out of the car and knock on the door
OR
2) Call the person via cell phone

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-08, 10:13 PM
So far I've only accidentally used mine and have yet to have cause to use mine. I suppose I'm just lucky. And don't seem to be made out of rage like most people when they're driving.

Very confusing how angry people get while driving. And they don't seem to notice that they're getting angry, which is the really weird thing.:smallconfused:

How do you not notice that you're grinding your teeth and audibly muttering a litany that curses the male sex while your knuckles whiten and your face flushes? Is frankly bizarre.

Oh man, I get pissed. And its usually almost always a woman driver that does something to make me so angry.
Most of the time, though, if someone else's stupidity doesn't make me go "OMGOMG PLEASE BREAKS WORK FAST" (In which case, afterwards, I'm honking), I'm cursing and screaming and flipping people off for a few seconds and then moving on in my life.
I can't stand rude people =/

Trog
2010-11-08, 10:26 PM
As for cranking up the stereo...see desensitization above. If I make it so I can't hear frivolous honking, then I won't be able to hear emergency honking either. Furthermore, it's extremely rude to crank your stereo loud enough that it bothers people in other vehicles, which is really how loud you'd have to crank it up in order to drown out honking. I get :smallfurious: when I'm in a separate car/in a parking lot/walking on the sidewalk and I get noise pollution from someone else's stereo.
Two people are exposed to the same honking. One reacts with indifference, and the other anger. Clearly since two people can react in two different ways the key difference is in the individuals, not in the stimulus which is the exact same for both of them. The honking in this experiment cannot be stopped by either party because the person doing the honking does it whenever they want to.

What can be done to decrease the annoyance of the angry person?

The only thing said angry person has control over is his own reaction to the stimulus. It is the only thing he can affect. Even if he converts over the indifferent person to his way of thinking it still will not stop the honking. The honker will do what he pleases. Therefore the only wise decision is for the annoyed person to change his mind frame to not let such little things bother him overly much to decrease his annoyed state of mind.

Or, as I said earlier:

loosen up :smalltongue:

Vorpalbob
2010-11-08, 10:27 PM
... And its usually almost always a woman driver that does something to make me so angry...

Whoa, isn't that a wee bit sexist?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-08, 10:29 PM

But...RHL is female...

Marnath
2010-11-08, 10:30 PM

Rabbit is a girl too. Does it even count as sexist if it's your own gender? :smallconfused:

Innis Cabal
2010-11-08, 10:39 PM
Rabbit is a girl too. Does it even count as sexist if it's your own gender? :smallconfused:

Yes, absolutely. Just because your part of what your discriminating against doesn't make it ok. Even if I think she said it mostly in jest.

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 10:39 PM
Oh man, I get pissed. And its usually almost always a woman driver that does something to make me so angry.
Most of the time, though, if someone else's stupidity doesn't make me go "OMGOMG PLEASE BREAKS WORK FAST" (In which case, afterwards, I'm honking), I'm cursing and screaming and flipping people off for a few seconds and then moving on in my life.

Err, I meant even just driving down the highway with no one actually even misbehaving. People are kinda scary.

But, yeah, I'd hate to be driven anywhere by you if this is your normal driving demeanor. :smalleek:

Lhurgyof
2010-11-08, 10:40 PM
Wow, it seems like everyone here is an angry driver.

I only get mad when someone does something really, really dumb on the road. (Our state is FULL of horrible drivers, I don't plan on being one of them). I've not used my horn yet, really.

But, when other people do I don't get mad.

Marnath
2010-11-08, 10:40 PM
Yes, absolutely. Just because your part of what your discriminating against doesn't make it ok. Even if I think she said it mostly in jest.

Hmm. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for saying things about their own race/gender. Maybe it's just the area I live in or something.

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 10:44 PM
Hmm. I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble for saying things about their own race/gender. Maybe it's just the area I live in or something.

Hard to chastise, but it's still generally disapproved of. Like those women who take advantage of what changes in society feminism has managed to bring about in order to... attack feminism. Considered to be bad form.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-08, 10:46 PM

...what if it's a true observation?

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 10:48 PM
...what if it's a true observation?

Ahh, but because it is merely observation is is entirely subjective and even subject to biases that are almost impossible to account for due to their subconscious nature and their effect on what things are remembered and how they're interpreted.

So, is sticky.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-08, 10:48 PM

Nah, that's the society norm around here too.

There's a lot of places where things like this is normal. Like, there are tribes in Africa which have a sort of "allowed racism" where say tribe A is known for their big noses, someone from tribe B may start a conversation with a joke like "I saw you coming from a mile away because of your nose.", but since it's accepted it's not really racism.

But I guess it's not the same for all the people on this forum, seeing as people have already set sparks at what she said.

Also, yes. I had a girl cut out in front of me through a red light without signaling. And I always see girls on their phones and stuff. Not that I don't see guys, but I mainly see women on their phones while they're driving.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-08, 10:58 PM
Not in jest.
And I didn't say women suck at driving.
I said most of the time, I've noticed, when someone's nearly crashed into me because they can't wait twentyfive seconds for their light to turn green, or they need to be where my car is RIGHT NOW OMG, its a woman.
This isn't discriminating if it just happens to be something I noticed, without prior information, and I wouldn't have said it if Coid hadn't mentioned the male gender in his.

Marnath
2010-11-08, 11:01 PM
Ahh, but because it is merely observation is is entirely subjective and even subject to biases that are almost impossible to account for due to their subconscious nature and their effect on what things are remembered and how they're interpreted.

So, is sticky.

Subjective, yes. Sticky, yes. But you can do it more readily than a person who isn't your gender/race.

Example, take some of the things Bill Cosby has said over the years. You could argue that it needs to be said(or not) but as a white man I would never dream of repeating it out loud even if I agreed(which I'm not saying I do, one way or another). It wouldn't be acceptable at all.

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 11:03 PM
Weird you have enough near misses for it to be a tally in your head at all.

Weirdest thing is, the whole cursing of the male sex is rarely, if ever actually connected in any way to the driving or other drivers. I think the wheel just brings this friend of mine's inner demons out or something.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-08, 11:05 PM
Usually, if I'm cursing a driver, I can no longer tell what gender they are. Unless they just tried to merge into me. -_-

But the MEMORABLE ones are all male. All...3 of them. =P

Haruki-kun
2010-11-08, 11:05 PM
<.<

On the topic of car horns, I hate them too. I once joked with a friend about what superpowers you'd like to have. I said "I wish I could point at a car, say a magic word, and make the horn stop working!"

I'd only use my powers for good. Seriously.

Marnath
2010-11-08, 11:08 PM
<.<

Back on the topic of car horns, I hate them too. I once joked with a friend about what superpowers you'd like to have. I said "I wish I could point at a car, say a magic word, and make the horn stop working!"

I'd only use my powers for good. Seriously.

Now I find myself wondering if one could construct an EMP based weapon to neutralize the horn device.

KuReshtin
2010-11-08, 11:14 PM
I would actually really like to have one of those video cameras mounted in my car for a week or so in order for me to be able to see my behaviour behind the wheel.

I don't see myself as an angry driver, but I realise that I curse at other drivers every once in a while if they do something that would jeopardise me and my passengers.

I have a friend, though, that's a really nervous driver, and he keeps that behaviour even when riding with me, and that grates on me every now and then. He tends to not anticipate things as much as I do, and then he gets statled by things that I've already noticed, and he expresses that by cursing ans yelling at everyone and everything around us.

Winter_Wolf
2010-11-09, 12:19 AM
For JS, the honking of a horn when going through a tunnel is because some tunnels curve, have poor visibility, and may be narrow. It's intended to let oncoming traffic know that HEY, car coming through. Where I used to live they actually post traffic signs stating, "Honk horn when entering tunnel" or something to that effect. I have no idea about on a bridge, unless it's a similar case to the tunnel thing.

Personally I can be an angry driver, but I won't honk to show my displeasure. I know full well that honking at the slow driver in front of me will solve nothing and probably make him go even slower. Also, my anger tends to be more that I'm chauffeuring around someone else when I'd rather not be on the road. I WILL honk when some idiot tries to run a stop sign or red light because he's too busy not paying attention, as well as the ones who decide to try and merge/cut me off with no warning and no space to do so. This month I've had to honk three times already, but hopefully that's it. People be crazy these days...

Oh, and honking to announce your arrival at someone's house: please don't. Even if it's your bestest buddy in the whole world, guess what. We don't like that. No, not even then.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 12:33 AM
Oh, and honking to announce your arrival at someone's house: please don't. Even if it's your bestest buddy in the whole world, guess what. We don't like that. No, not even then.

Unless they live out away from people like I do. I have two neighbors, and they're far enough away you could set off a fair sized warhead in my yard and they wouldn't hear it. It then becomes an issue of whether or not it bothers the friend in question, and his/her family.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-09, 12:43 AM
...I don't mind horns or car alarms at all. :smallconfused:

Haruki-kun
2010-11-09, 12:43 AM
...I don't mind horns or car alarms at all. :smallconfused:

I wish I had your patience, man. Seriously. :smallfrown: I'm not a big fan of noise.

Temotei
2010-11-09, 12:47 AM
I was stopped at a red light once (left turn), and this guy behind me in a big red truck kept honking his horn and making hand gestures like he was wondering what I was doing. If my girlfriend wasn't there, I think something bad would have happened with his head. :smallsigh:

Not really. I'm not violent at all, but I was pretty frustrated.

Griever
2010-11-09, 01:12 AM
I was stopped at a red light once (left turn), and this guy behind me in a big red truck kept honking his horn and making hand gestures like he was wondering what I was doing. If my girlfriend wasn't there, I think something bad would have happened with his head. :smallsigh:

Not really. I'm not violent at all, but I was pretty frustrated.

Heh, when that happens all I do is wave, gets them nice and angry. :smallamused:

Lioness
2010-11-09, 04:24 AM

You drive like me...I freely swear/yell to myself at drivers who annoy me, even if it's a minor annoyance like slowing down randomly without indicating, leaving half their car sticking out of the turning lane, or similar things.

I don't often use my horn...usually only if they've done something truly stupid/dangerous.

Dad overuses his, though. Well, I think he was trying to teach me to be an assertive driver.
Pedestrians have right of way...I was turning left (American right), and some pedestrians were crossing the road. Rather slowly, sure, but they had right of way. I waited for them to cross, and then kept going. He started ranting about how dangerous they were, and leaned across and held down the horn. For, like, 30 seconds, and I was well away from the pedestrians by the time he started.

I still don't think I've quite forgiven him. Idiot.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-09, 04:33 AM
You drive like me...I freely swear/yell to myself at drivers who annoy me, even if it's a minor annoyance like slowing down randomly without indicating, leaving half their car sticking out of the turning lane, or similar things.

I do this, too. My personal favorite are people driving minimum speed in the fast lane on the highway. =P

Lioness
2010-11-09, 04:41 AM
I hate people who drive really close to other cars when they're going 70-80...so much more space is needed...so many more ignorant people.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-09, 08:21 AM
I hate people that get really pissy at other drivers for being mad at their dumb-assedness.

Winter_Wolf
2010-11-09, 09:49 AM
Unless they live out away from people like I do. I have two neighbors, and they're far enough away you could set off a fair sized warhead in my yard and they wouldn't hear it. It then becomes an issue of whether or not it bothers the friend in question, and his/her family.

Actually the 'we' in question is the friend/family/family of friend. I have had friends honk when they've arrived and don't get out of the car. My parents didn't like it, and I don't appreciate it. Could well be your friends and their families don't mind, but I'll bet you they'd prefer you showed up at the door and properly said at least "hi".

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-09, 10:07 AM
I'm cursing and screaming and flipping people off for a few seconds and then moving on in my life.

Okay, moving on.

Me being someone who dresses in a very eccentric fashion, I get the worst brunt of this. Apparently, if you see a stranger on the street whom you want to get the attention of, you honk your horn! Nevermind that a horn indicates danger, which really isn't good for someone's nerves when you honk it from behind them while they're not really paying attention.

Honestly, if we get robots to assist driving, the first thing I want them to be able to do is detect potential collisions, so that we can give them control of the horn and take it out of control of the humans. It's one of many privileges your species should have taken away due to misuse.

Salbazier
2010-11-09, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I don't like people abusing it either. Well, admitedly i live in a country where traffic rules isn't applied consistently so there's a lot of times when it can be justified (though I seriously doubt preventing accident is what they have in mind). Still it is really annoying when people honking to say 'GET OUT OF MY WAY. NO I MEAN GIVE A WIDE, VERY WIDE SPACE'. I really hate it. What's wrong with a bit of patience?

Once I a friend of mine walks in the middle of the road (inside campus) and blocking the car behind him for quite a while and the driver do not honk (we notice the car and remind him). Small thing, but I'm seriously impressed with the driver's patience.

*sigh* God knows how many times I feel like throwing at people's cars/motors because of their rudeness.

Worira
2010-11-09, 12:37 PM
Relevant. (http://www.theonion.com/articles/your-honking-has-shown-me-the-error-of-my-ways,10746/) And no, the car horn is not intended for showing your displeasure to other drivers.

valadil
2010-11-09, 12:41 PM
I honk pretty often. At least once a week. I live and drive in Boston though, so I'm pretty sure it's warranted. Most of the time I do it if I don't think someone saw me and I'm about to get hit. Yes I can do this while swerving out of the way.

What bothers me more than the horn is the lights. Flashing your brights is one thing. Every so often though I'll meet up with someone who insists on tailgating me with his brights on. I'm normally a pretty chill guy, but high beams in the rear view makes me rage like nothing else.

Helanna
2010-11-09, 12:51 PM
I hate people who drive really close to other cars when they're going 70-80...so much more space is needed...so many more ignorant people.

Oh yeah, tailgaters! They don't seem to realize that if you're driving less than 5 feet behind me, I am only going to drive slower. You see, when you're that close to me, if I had to hit the brakes for any reason, you are going to hit me and cause an accident. Therefore, I need to drive slower so that if I do have to hit the brakes, I'll have more time and lessen the severity of the accident THAT YOU ARE ABOUT TO CAUSE IF YOU DON'T GET THE HELL OFF MY TAIL.

Myself, I don't think I've ever used my horn. Generally, the horn gets used on me - one time, I came to an intersection when I had the stop sign, looked both ways twice, and still managed to cut off a car I hadn't even seen. Another time, I was really stressed and lost in the middle of an insanely busy city street and merged into another lane without really looking (at least I had my signal on . . .)

But that's why I tend not to get too angry with people that cut me off. Chances are they weren't specifically and maliciously trying to cause an accident, they probably just weren't paying enough attention. Obviously not even remotely an excuse - I really regret both the times above, and do my best to make sure nothing like it happens again - but also not really worth getting angry over unless you came REALLY close to an accident. Just my opinion, of course, everyone has the right to get angry at stupid people who aren't paying attention.

Of course, I'll always have that one guy who, after I passed through a puddle that turned out to be on broken/rocky ground and ended up throwing up a spray of rocks, followed me to the next stoplight, parked his car, got out, came up to my car, and started screaming at me about how he nearly died because of it. :smallconfused: I wish he'd just used the horn . . .

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 01:00 PM
Ahh, people who tailgate on the interstate when there's plenty of room are always disturbing/funny.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 01:45 PM
I was riding with my dad recently in his F-350 truck, when the guy tailgaiting him was so close we couldn't see him. Then, someone cut my dad off and he had to hit the brakes. A quarter of a second later the guy hit us, he was that close. He got one of these
http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/6/3/63043_open_500.jpg
through his engine block for the trouble. We suffered no damage. :smalltongue:
*edit: It's worth nothing that ours is made of actual steel, not whatever plastic crap the pictured one is.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-09, 09:42 PM
Ah, Abercorn. Driving less than a mile to the grocery store and back, saw 4 cop cars with sirens and 3 street racers.

I think if I can drive here without road rage, I can drive anywhere. =P

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-11-09, 09:44 PM
There's one that's missing. People who honk horns at random pedestrians for no clear reason, or to get said pedestrian's attention so they can insult them as they pass. I don't know how many times I've been on a walk when some jerk has honked their horn as they pass me by even though I clearly don't know them, or done so to get my attention so they can just yell "F*CK YOU, RETARD!" at me.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 09:48 PM
Ah, Abercorn. Driving less than a mile to the grocery store and back, saw 4 cop cars with sirens and 3 street racers.

I think if I can drive here without road rage, I can drive anywhere. =P

You drive to somewhere that's less than a mile from your house? O.o

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-09, 09:50 PM
You drive to somewhere that's less than a mile from your house? O.o

I do when I'm getting groceries. =P

And it's less than a mile on the main road. I'm not on the main road.

THAC0
2010-11-09, 10:17 PM
I rarely honk.

Last Friday though, I had to honk several times. While still in my garage, doubtless to the displeasure of my neighbors.

However, it was the only way to convince the moose to stop licking my driveway and get out of the way.

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-09, 10:46 PM
I rarely honk.

Last Friday though, I had to honk several times. While still in my garage, doubtless to the displeasure of my neighbors.

However, it was the only way to convince the moose to stop licking my driveway and get out of the way.

Okay, that made me laugh. I concede that this was a valid use of your horn.:smallbiggrin:

Yeah, tailgaters and people who keep their highbeams/brights on even when they are right behind you or are going past you in the opposite direction really frustrate me as well. Really, tailgating causes accidents, and keeping highbeams on is rude when crossing paths and dangerous when directly behind someone, as they can't see properly.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 10:53 PM
I rarely honk.

O.O

I was told honking at a moose is a battle challenge, and to never do that because they'll total your car. But then, I think that only applied to bull moose.

WarKitty
2010-11-09, 11:09 PM
What *is* it with cars honking at pedestrians anyway? I usually get 3-4 of these in the walk from my house to the drugstore (about 2 miles along a 4-lane road).

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-09, 11:10 PM
What *is* it with cars honking at pedestrians anyway? I usually get 3-4 of these in the walk from my house to the drugstore (about 2 miles along a 4-lane road).

I only know of the "recognize you" honk and the "my, you are attractive" honk, but I'm sure there are others.

WarKitty
2010-11-09, 11:13 PM
I only know of the "recognize you" honk and the "my, you are attractive" honk, but I'm sure there are others.

Given the other comments I suspect it's the latter. Particularly since it goes up the more traditionally feminine my outfit is. Admittedly I don't particularly appreciate the attention...

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-09, 11:14 PM
Given the other comments I suspect it's the latter. Particularly since it goes up the more traditionally feminine my outfit is. Admittedly I don't particularly appreciate the attention...

Aaaah. *hugs*

Well, regardless of the quality of people who think so, it's always nice to know you're good looking, I guess? I wouldn't know...

Salbazier
2010-11-09, 11:56 PM
You know, after reading this thread last night and going out today, I realized (again, more stongly this time) how bad is driver's attitude in my country. As much as I hate to say this, I suggest you people with sensitivity to honks annoying driving in general stay away from the roads in my country. It will drive you crazy. No not even when you are driving. With public transport, that may even worse. :smallsigh:

*makes a solemn promise to be a good driver once he got lisence*

Now, time to go back to campus again.

Aiani
2010-11-10, 12:36 AM
I don't hear a lot of horn honking while I'm driving but I do hate to be honked at while I'm walking my dog. It's always guys. Maybe I should take it as a compliment but truthfully it's annoying because they make me jump and they make my dog jump because she has fear issues. Also who honks at a woman out in her crappiest possible clothes? I call them my dog walking clothes.

While I am driving I rarely honk at people. My horn sounds so sad and useless people would probably just laugh at it anyway. I do curse a lot in my car though.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-10, 12:38 AM
I don't hear a lot of horn honking while I'm driving but I do hate to be honked at while I'm walking my dog. It's always guys. Maybe I should take it as a compliment but truthfully it's annoying because they make me jump and they make my dog jump because she has fear issues. Also who honks at a woman out in her crappiest possible clothes? I call them my dog walking clothes.

While I am driving I rarely honk at people. My horn sounds so sad and useless people would probably just laugh at it anyway. I do curse a lot in my car though.

This thought amuses me and I would LOVE to know what your horn sounds like. =3

Coidzor
2010-11-10, 12:41 AM

You know, I got honked at when walking my dog a lot back when I lived in town.

Maybe people just like honking at people who are walking their dog?

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-11-10, 12:44 AM
Oh, there are. When I walk places it mostly seems to be the "F*CK YOU, RETARD!" honk. :smallmad:

Skeppio
2010-11-10, 12:46 AM
Oh, there are. When I walk places it mostly seems to be the "F*CK YOU, RETARD!" honk. :smallmad:

I rarely get honked at, but it's pretty much always the "Ha ha, I startled you! Oh, how witty and cool I am!" honk. Immature morons...:smallannoyed:

Aiani
2010-11-10, 12:50 AM
This thought amuses me and I would LOVE to know what your horn sounds like. =3

I wish I could describe it properly. It's just a very modest horn. Almost politely quiet really. It's as if instead of sounding like RAGE my horn is saying, "Exscuse me please, I would like to pass you."

On the dog walking, maybe they aren't honking at me at all. Maybe they are honking at my dog because she is such a cutie.:smallsmile:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-10, 12:52 AM
I wish I could describe it properly. It's just a very modest horn. Almost politely quiet really. It's as if instead of sounding like RAGE my horn is saying, "Exscuse me please, I would like to pass you."

On the dog walking, maybe they aren't honking at me at all. Maybe they are honking at my dog because she is such a cutie.:smallsmile:

*giggles* I officially love your horn.

Unlikely. More likely honking at you to express...any of the other things. *snuggles and pets puppy* =)

arguskos
2010-11-10, 01:06 AM
I've always had the urge to replace my car horn's normal sound with either Yakety Sax or the "Move Bitch, Get Outta The Way!" song, but I think that would break some local noise codes. Still, it'd amuse me terribly.

Fiery Diamond
2010-11-10, 04:20 PM
Well, since I'm male, I've never had to deal with people honking because they think I'm attractive (are there any girls/women who honk at attractive people?). Seriously, though, the very concept makes me :smallmad:. Honking at a total stranger because you think she's attractive? That's like...leering at someone. It's creepy, pervy, and disgusting.

onthetown
2010-11-10, 05:38 PM
I only honk if somebody seriously almost hurts me, which usually results from #3.

However, when I was studying for my driving test a few years ago, I noticed that (around here, anyway) it's actually illegal to pass another car without honking your horn before going out of your lane.

I was a good little girl and did it for my test, but the test was at 8am and, even though the driving instructor reminded me to do it, it just pissed a lot of people off. I think if everybody obeyed that law, there would just be too much noise pollution...

My friend had a win when somebody honked at her. We were walking on the sidewalk and some guys in a hotshot car honked at her and screamed, "SHOW US YOUR BOOBS!" She yelled back, "Well, don't drive away!" The car swerved a bit and we could just see them staring out the back window at us. It was hilarious.

Edit: Oh, wedding parties. When the guests follow the limousine in their cars and honk repeatedly as they drive through town. It's a bit of an older tradition... I actually enjoy it, and it makes me smile when I see it being practised (despite how bloody loud it is). :smallsmile:

kc0bbq
2010-11-10, 06:01 PM
I would agree with much of this rant, particularly regarding getting other motorists to start. What's worse is bicyclists, they will not have covered windows or other conveniences working as a shield noise. If they start and drift into the car lane, then they are paste. A relatively small movement can alter the course of a bike. But no, honking to wave is totally cool.There is no such thing as a 'car lane' except on roads that don't allow non-motorized vehicles (pretty much just interstates in most of the US). A lane is a lane is a lane and the cyclist has as much right to it as the car does, with very little in the way of exceptions.

Marnath
2010-11-10, 06:32 PM
There is no such thing as a 'car lane' except on roads that don't allow non-motorized vehicles (pretty much just interstates in most of the US). A lane is a lane is a lane and the cyclist has as much right to it as the car does, with very little in the way of exceptions.

Unless there is a dedicated bike path alongside the road, in which case, no you don't have the right to enter vehicle traffic.

Aiani
2010-11-10, 07:46 PM
Well, since I'm male, I've never had to deal with people honking because they think I'm attractive (are there any girls/women who honk at attractive people?). Seriously, though, the very concept makes me :smallmad:. Honking at a total stranger because you think she's attractive? That's like...leering at someone. It's creepy, pervy, and disgusting.

It can be creepy if there are any words or gestures to go along with the honking but mostly it's just startling. This reminds me of a joke Jerry Seinfeld told about guys honking at women. I can't remember exactly what he said but it was something about a man honking at a woman is a man who is out of ideas. He thinks to himself, "Oh she's attractive. Maybe I'll honk at her." Much funnier when you actually hear Seinfeld saying it.

WarKitty
2010-11-10, 09:13 PM
On that note, I really hate cars that honk at a bike to tell you they're right behind you. I mean, seriously, it's not like you're completely silent. I know you're right there.

Eon
2010-11-10, 09:17 PM
I've never honked my horn. Ever.

Then again, only driven on roads once, and it was pretty empty :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-10, 09:18 PM
On that note, I really hate cars that honk at a bike to tell you they're right behind you. I mean, seriously, it's not like you're completely silent. I know you're right there.

People do that? What jerks...

WarKitty
2010-11-10, 09:23 PM
People do that? What jerks...

To be fair I think that one is more from a lack of thinking things through. It's *intended* to be a warning so the bicyclist is aware of the vehicle and doesn't swerve out or something. The drivers just don't think that, you know, I can hear you coming just fine.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-10, 09:29 PM
To be fair I think that one is more from a lack of thinking things through. It's *intended* to be a warning so the bicyclist is aware of the vehicle and doesn't swerve out or something. The drivers just don't think that, you know, I can hear you coming just fine.

Having someone honk at me unexpectedly probably WOULD make me end up swerving. >.<

Salbazier
2010-11-10, 10:02 PM

Yeah, that happens to me as well. Don't like it either