PDA

View Full Version : Kaulesh tries avatar-ing it up

Kaulesh
2010-11-11, 05:10 PM
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r193/tdp88/Avatars/final.png
Pictured is a fairly typical gish. I saw a Mage Blade (from Arcana Evolved) in my mind while doing this, but it could just as easily be a Duskblade or anything else. He's casting a spell right before unsheathing his hand-and-a-halfer and (happily) bisecting someone.

I don't know how I feel about this one. I think I may have put the mouth too low and I'm too lazy to open up the file to fix it.

I followed Trazoi's Inkscape tutorial (http://www.trazoi.net/tutorials/inkscape/oots/introduction.html) for this.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-11, 05:42 PM
Well, if you want help and/or critique:

The mouth is fine, it's the eyes that give it away. They're a bit too small and the larger one seems like a weird shape.

The lines ends aren't smooth. You can make them smooth in the Fill and stroke menu under the stroke style tab.

The sword itself looks awkward because no one carries a sheath perpendicular to their bodies. You shoud try making it diagonal instead. There's also the problem of the sheath and the blade (it's that red part, right). The blade seems to be heading in a different direction than the sheath, which makes it look like something's off.

Also, his clothes are pure black. You should avoid the use of pure black. Make them Dark gray instead. Since we have nothing to compare them to, the dark gray is played off as black.

Kaulesh
2010-11-11, 05:52 PM
The sword itself looks awkward because no one carries a sheath perpendicular to their bodies. You shoud try making it diagonal instead. There's also the problem of the sheath and the blade (it's that red part, right). The blade seems to be heading in a different direction than the sheath, which makes it look like something's off.

I thought about that. I was trying to find a good way to get my guy's hand on the pommel of his sword and ended up placing the sword nearly perpendicular as it is now. The red thing is actually a belt. The sword is behind the guy's back. I'm going to make some changes now.

Trazoi
2010-11-11, 06:01 PM
Haruki-kun summed up most of the points I'd have made. The only other thing I'd suggest is to halve the stroke size on the magic effect. At the moment it has the same stroke size as the main body which makes it look solid.

Once you have one avatar looking appropriately OotS like in Inkscape it makes the next one a lot easier. :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2010-11-11, 10:14 PM
I thought about that. I was trying to find a good way to get my guy's hand on the pommel of his sword and ended up placing the sword nearly perpendicular as it is now. The red thing is actually a belt. The sword is behind the guy's back. I'm going to make some changes now.

Ah. Well, the new one looks a lot better. Also, unless you're doing a close-up, don't fret too much about hands. Putting them in front or behind of what they're grasping is enough for people to understand that they're holding it.

Haruki-kun summed up most of the points I'd have made. The only other thing I'd suggest is to halve the stroke size on the magic effect. At the moment it has the same stroke size as the main body which makes it look solid.

Oh, yeah, that too. And if you wanna take it a step further:

Magical "Auras" look nice if you make their stroke colored. Try making the stroke blue, but a darker shade. Another idea is to make the fill transparent and put it on top of the hand. But this is all about personal preference. Experiment with it a bit.

Once you have one avatar looking appropriately OotS like in Inkscape it makes the next one a lot easier. :smallwink:

This is true. they go from taking several hours to taking 20 minutes. :smalltongue: I'd know, I'm a student of Trazoi's guide, too.

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-12, 11:06 AM
Almost every inkscape user around here(almost every avatarist) is a student of Trazoi's guide :smallwink: Including me :smallwink:

Akrim.elf
2010-11-12, 12:59 PM
Almost every inkscape user around here(almost every avatarist) is a student of Trazoi's guide :smallwink: Including me :smallwink:

I am not...

Gulaghar
2010-11-12, 01:34 PM
If you want to put his hand on the pommel of his sword you could do it something like my avatar.

Bradakhan
2010-11-12, 02:07 PM
Speaking of hands, you should probably make the fingers longer. Also, 120x120 is the avatar size limit, which is why the bottom is being cut off.

Neither am I, I'm a student of Ceika :smalltongue:

Kaulesh
2010-11-12, 02:11 PM
Speaking of hands, you should probably make the fingers longer. Also, 120x120 is the avatar size limit, which is why the bottom is being cut off.

I didn't even notice that. I just drew a box and said export.

Anyway, this guy's finished. It's getting harder and harder to make changes. Next time, I'll use layers more intelligently.

Haruki-kun
2010-11-14, 07:08 PM
I didn't even notice that. I just drew a box and said export.

Anyway, this guy's finished. It's getting harder and harder to make changes. Next time, I'll use layers more intelligently.

Personally, I don't like using layers for avatars. When makingcomics I have layers for the background, the foreground, and speech or text. But for a single avatar, it makes navigating a bit awkward.

Just a thought, of course. You're free to do whatever works best for you.