PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a ranged Gish.

Xephalo
2010-11-11, 08:31 PM
Basically what the title says. I need ideas for a ranged gish type character (i.e. feats, classes, the whole shebang). Something akin to an Arcane Archer, but with less suck. And yes, I realize that i could probably accomplish this with a Cleric 20, but i want to stick with arcane/psionics with this character. Assume all official sources besides dragon mags and ToB. This is 3.5 by the way. Thanks very much in advance.

Urpriest
2010-11-11, 08:34 PM
Psionics has the delicious Telekinetic Boomerang. I've seen some very fun-looking throwing gishes involving that power, Illithid Slayer, and various boomerang feats for battlefield control and lots of attacks.

Thurbane
2010-11-11, 08:48 PM
You don't really need all that much "gish" to be a competent arcane ranged attacker.

Basically, ranged touch spells are almost always going to be a better option than bow & arrow...you might just want to grab some Abjurant Champion, Ruathar and other full casting PrCs with better than poor BAB, and you should be set. You could always carry around a bow for the rare occasions when your spells are running low. Maybe some ranged reserve feats, too.

Xephalo
2010-11-11, 08:56 PM
Yes yes, while spells are more efficient than using a weapon in just about all cases, a wizard doesn't remotely fit the concept i have in mind. I'm thinking something more like an Amazon from Diablo 2.

Morbis Meh
2010-11-11, 09:05 PM
this class is not really a gish char but...ever try using a warlock? Your eldritch blast deals decent damage and it is a ranged touch attack. If you take a dip into binder you can go into the prestige class hellfire warlock which allows you to deal a lot more damage without the CON penalty. There are also plenty of fun feats that allow you to change you invocations (you can also change the shape of you blast to make it look like a spear). There is also a feat you can take later that will allow you to rapid shot your eldritch blasts.

Kylarra
2010-11-11, 09:13 PM
Soulbow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060403a&page=2) is pretty cool, imo. You can get Lucky on your mind arrows so each one gets a reroll if you miss. :smallsmile:

Coidzor
2010-11-11, 09:14 PM
Hmm, Sword of the Arcane Order shooting star substitution levels Ranger/Scout swift hunter might be up your alley. Potentially problematic though, due to the rate of the ranger's spell progression without Mystic Ranger changing it.

Hmm...

Prestige Ranger on some other base in order to get the ranger spell list on a better casting chassis?

Khatoblepas
2010-11-11, 09:23 PM
How about a buffmonkey bard, focused on ranged combat?

Something like Bard 8/Arcane Archer 2/Sublime Chord 2/Usual Bard PrCs 8

The Bard Handbook has the specifics, but you could get 6-12d6 bonus damage on each arrow, and if you can apply the Harmonizing Crystal Echoblade to a bow, all the more power to you.

It may not seem like much, but you have some spellcasting, lots of dice to roll, and everyone else at the table gets to benefit while you hang back and pepper people with arrows.

Thurbane
2010-11-11, 09:39 PM
Yes yes, while spells are more efficient than using a weapon in just about all cases, a wizard doesn't remotely fit the concept i have in mind. I'm thinking something more like an Amazon from Diablo 2.
You could try the Pathfinder version of the Arcane Archer: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/arcane-archer

It's waaay better than the standard version.

Psyren
2010-11-11, 10:36 PM
Try an Ardent with Zen Archery. Or if 3rd-party is allowed, Marksman. (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/marksman)

Kylarra
2010-11-11, 10:43 PM
It's waaay better than the standard version.Admittedly though, that's a 0+1 situation.:smalltongue:

though to be fair the pf AA makes it at least plausibly useful since it still advances 7/10 casting

Eldariel
2010-11-11, 10:52 PM
(Star Elf) Bard 8/Arcane Archer 2/Sublime Chord 2/Abjurant Champion 4/Sacred Exorcist 4 is fairly good. You obviously use Planar Touchstone for Catalogues of Enlightenment to get Longbow Prof and Focus in one feat. Otherwise, just the normal Archery feats, Divine Might (Sacred Exorcist gives you Turning), mayhap Knowledge Devotion and Smiting Spell and you're good.

Starts off normal Bard with some Archery tendencies, really picks off with the first Sublime Chord level. Can use Inspire Courage on a decent level (+4 with equipment and Inspirational Boost, up to +10 if you invest feats) and has very Sorc-like casting with decent BAB and the ability to bind two spells on an arrow (a Smiting Spell and Imbue Arrow). Obviously Charisma>Dexterity>Constitution>everything else.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Abjurant Champion handily makes you able to sac spell slots to improve To Hit or damage regardless of the weapon; sorta like Arcane Strike for everything (swift action instead of free and one or the other instead of both tho). Which just so happens to be real nice since Arcane Strike the feat is limited to melee.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-12, 09:10 AM
An unseen seer build might be right up your alley it is a precision damage build, so getting sniper shot through advancing learning, might be a priority, yes even before getting Hunter's Eye.

Devmaar
2010-11-12, 10:36 AM
I've found that Psychic Warrior can make a decent archery build. Taking Zen Archery means WIS fuels both attack rolls and Pp, and there are powers which boost your damage roll, which is usually hard to accomplish with archery.

Ruinix
2010-11-12, 12:01 PM
Duskblade 5/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Arcane Archer 10 PF

using the AA from PF and that build u get BAB 20 CL 17.