PDA

View Full Version : Trapping Teleporters ?

Damionte
2010-11-14, 12:09 AM
Hey gang, I could use a hand.

I'm about to run a small game where I have a party of 24th level characters setting an ambush for another high level caster.

They need ways to keep the target caster from teleporting out when the ambush is sprung.

The porter will be on an unfamiliar plane so won't be able to teleport to any predetermined locations. She'll only be able to port to places she can see.

That could be enough though if she gets a glimpse at open sky.

So how would you trap a teleporter? The PC's will have pretty much the entire 3.5 library to pull from. I have no idea what classes they've chosen yet. I imagine one will likely be a primary arcane caster, and one other may be psionic.

A little help here?

Thanks in Advance

Lhurgyof
2010-11-14, 12:23 AM
Hey gang, I could use a hand.

I'm about to run a small game where I have a party of 24th level characters setting an ambush for another high level caster.

They need ways to keep the target caster from teleporting out when the ambush is sprung.

The porter will be on an unfamiliar plane so won't be able to teleport to any predetermined locations. She'll only be able to port to places she can see.

That could be enough though if she gets a glimpse at open sky.

So how would you trap a teleporter? The PC's will have pretty much the entire 3.5 library to pull from. I have no idea what classes they've chosen yet. I imagine one will likely be a primary arcane caster, and one other may be psionic.

A little help here?

Thanks in Advance

I believe there's a psionic power Divert Teleport or something, maybe a spell in the spell compendium too. Hopefully the caster you're trapping doesn't have contingencies.

Callista
2010-11-14, 12:32 AM
Anticipate Teleport and Greater Anticipate Teleport. Complete Arcane.

Godskook
2010-11-14, 01:04 AM
Dimensional anchor(core) and its psionic equivalent seem likely starters.

Uncertainty
2010-11-14, 01:15 AM
Divert Teleport (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/divertTeleport.htm) into the magma chamber of a volcano seems like a good place to start.

Psyren
2010-11-14, 01:40 AM
Use the area version of Dimensional Anchor, Dimensional Lock. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/dimensionalLock.htm) You will have to activate it before around the caster before he can flee however.

Akal Saris
2010-11-14, 04:10 AM
Stabilize the inertial dampeners!

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-14, 06:22 AM
Dimensional anchor. Either that or Antimagic Field. Either one will suffice.

Though I like the "divert teleport into volcano" idea. Makes for a poor adventure HOOK, but as a defense for the BBEG's lair at 24th level, its kind of awesome!

WinWin
2010-11-14, 07:52 AM
I can recall an aventure that featured a Githyanki teleport trap.

They set it up and then ganked unsuspecting mages that teleported in by accident. The placed was rigged with a forbiddence-like efects that prevented teleportation out of the place as well as planar travel in the vicinity.

I am sure that an epic mage may be able to do something along those lines...Just give them a McGuffin that allows it. It all depends on the NPC and how long they have to prepare when it comes to things like epic spells.

Damionte
2010-11-14, 12:12 PM
They have a little less than two days to secure and prepare the battlefield. they won't be given any mcguffins. They'll have only the resources their characters have on them.

No armies of henchmen, or plot device traps or items they can use. If they can't actually build it or prepare it themselves in that amount of time they won't have access to it.

Cogidubnus
2010-11-14, 12:20 PM
I'd use Greater Anticipate Teleport, so you know they're coming, then Dimensional Anchor (quickened with a rod) + Prismatic Sphere around the primary arcanist, the target and as many of the party's meleers as can fit. Then you just grapple the caster and hold their head in the pretty lights until it explodes.

Susano-wo
2010-11-14, 12:26 PM
you don't even need it to be quickened. with aniticipate teleport and readied actions to cast hightened (the one that raises spells effective level) dimensional anchors, surely one of them can land it. And if not, then the quickened hightened dimensional anchors go off :smallamused:

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-14, 01:09 PM
you don't even need it to be quickened. with aniticipate teleport and readied actions to cast hightened (the one that raises spells effective level) dimensional anchors, surely one of them can land it. And if not, then the quickened hightened dimensional anchors go off :smallamused:

If they really want to ensure they hit, they can use limited wish to make their next attack auto-hit. With high-level wizards, there's more danger of dimensional anchor missing due to miss chances and AC buffs than too low of a spell level.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-11-14, 01:14 PM
Also, if target is using Scry and Die techniques, you can use Fool Scry to trick the target into wanting to teleport into a given location. This was one of the major tricks my Joker Bard uses to get a leg-up on Batman Wizard types.

Anticipate Teleport + Forbiddance (or simply DimLock, if you prefer)

So you lure him in with Fool Scry, then use Anticipate Teleport so that you can ready an action to cast Forbiddance or DimLock as soon as Target arrives.

Now you've got him, unable to port back out. Now ya just gotta bag him.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-14, 01:42 PM
So you lure him in with Fool Scry, then use Anticipate Teleport so that you can ready an action to cast Forbiddance or DimLock as soon as Target arrives.

Now you've got him, unable to port back out. Now ya just gotta bag him.

Forbiddance has a 6-round casting time and a material component of at least 3,000gp, so you'd probably want to stick with dimensional lock. :smallwink:

Damionte
2010-11-14, 02:31 PM
Forbiddance has a 6-round casting time and a material component of at least 3,000gp, so you'd probably want to stick with dimensional lock. :smallwink:

lol yeah, 6 rounds is a long time. If they can't lock her down in the first round or two they'll lose her. Unless they can cast it from a hidden point. If she doesn't know she's in any danger when she first arrives she's not likely to teleport right away.

ShiningStarling
2010-11-14, 02:45 PM
I would suggest find a hiding spot, then cast wall of stone followed by a quickened in someway antimagic field, instant wizard in a box! :smallbiggrin:
Then the usual readied action stuff for more careful capture. Also might want to work a disintegrate and a dimensional anchor readied spells or psion powers for when the field ends.

Synapse
2010-11-14, 03:02 PM
Can you think of a spell of mcguffin that blocks entrance to the astral plane? All teleportations must go through it. Call a favor from giths or something...

Radar
2010-11-14, 03:13 PM
Readied Dimensional Lock is much better then Dimensional Anchor, since it can't fail (no save, but no attack roll as well). Combined with True Sight, it will strip the wizard from most miss-chances. Commence with Chained Greater Dispell.

LOTRfan
2010-11-14, 03:53 PM
Can you think of a spell of mcguffin that blocks entrance to the astral plane? All teleportations must go through it. Call a favor from giths or something...

Isn't that only planeshifting and other planar teleportation magic?

Andion Isurand
2010-11-14, 05:48 PM
Greater Anticipate Teleport delays their arrival and informs you where they will arrive
Reverse Gravity at the arrival point.
Prismatic Sphere just above arrival point. (the mage must fly to get this in position)

The moment they appear, they fall upwards into the sphere.

Synapse
2010-11-14, 06:07 PM
Isn't that only planeshifting and other planar teleportation magic?

No. All teleport spells go through it, including the Doors. It's part of the teleportation basics.

Road_Runner
2010-11-14, 06:15 PM
Greater Anticipate Teleport delays their arrival and informs you where they will arrive
Reverse Gravity at the arrival point.
Prismatic Sphere just above arrival point. (the mage must fly to get this in position)

The moment they appear, they fall upwards into the sphere.

Lol very nice :)

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-14, 11:55 PM
Readied Dimensional Lock is much better then Dimensional Anchor, since it can't fail (no save, but no attack roll as well). Combined with True Sight, it will strip the wizard from most miss-chances. Commence with Chained Greater Dispell.

Hell, have one caster ready a disjunction and one the dimensional lock. No buffs, no contingencies, no items, no chance whatsoever of escape before the dimensional lock kicks in.

Lev
2010-11-14, 11:58 PM
Dust of sneezing and coughing, or aboleth mucus.

jumpet
2010-11-15, 12:20 AM
Unhallow/Hallow with dimensional anchor attached.

Because unhallow is an emanation, the dimensional anchor spell won't activate until they are in line of effect. Thus they can teleport in, but not out (assuming the PCs have no SR to defeat the spell).

Radar
2010-11-15, 05:03 AM
Hell, have one caster ready a disjunction and one the dimensional lock. No buffs, no contingencies, no items, no chance whatsoever of escape before the dimensional lock kicks in.
The problem with Disjunction is, it's the tactical nuke - the only way to win, is not to play with it.

Unhallow/Hallow with dimensional anchor attached.

Because unhallow is an emanation, the dimensional anchor spell won't activate until they are in line of effect. Thus they can teleport in, but not out (assuming the PCs have no SR to defeat the spell).
This is great! There's no room for Celerity -> Teleport stuff, that could happen with the readied action scenario.

Cicciograna
2010-11-15, 05:16 AM
There's a spell from Manual of the Planes (3rd Edition), called Zone of respite (Clr 3, Sor/Wiz 4): basically this spell precludes the use of spells that call upon other planes, including Etheral, Shadow and Astral plane.
In 3.5 Ed. the reference to Teleport using Astral plane has been dropped, but you could rule that it still works this way and use Zone of respite to prevent it.

FelixG
2010-11-15, 05:43 AM
Good caster casts anti magic field
Good meat shield moves in and Nets the Evil caster or grapples
Evil caster cant escape antimagic field because the net is controlled
Everyone in party proceeds to try to bust the pinata?

Myth
2010-11-15, 09:06 AM
Interesting. Not to divert this topic in another "how do i slayed Batman?" but they have to figure out how to beat Celerity, Timetop and any Contingency effects especially if he has the Craft Contingent Spell feat.

You can draw from the old "Slaying Elminster" thread that floated around in the WOTC forums. They used layered AMFs via some seeds, mindswitching etc. and using high speed and a distraction.

You could also let them research an Epic spell for this particular occasion.

Or they could go for the good ol' undetectable sneaky type who pops an AMF right on the guy's head.

Moglorosh
2010-11-15, 09:46 AM
You guys are forgetting an important point: whatever they do, the evil caster already divined it last week, and he has probably already set up an ambush for their ambush.

ShiningStarling
2010-11-20, 09:03 AM
You guys are forgetting an important point: whatever they do, the evil caster already divined it last week, and he has probably already set up an ambush for their ambush.
Very true, unless he doesn't know the party and they weren't there when he scryed it, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have Teevo.:smallsmile:
Anywho, they should have been planning in some sort of anti-scrying thing for a while for planning, and they should be ready now.

I also had another idea, which is to have crafted a contingent anti-magic field for when the spot the caster, then make a wall of iron around the field, with rungs on the party's side (which might take a craft check.. idk, but its only like dc15 if there is one) so the meatshield and rogue can get in there and subdue/kill the interloper.