PDA

View Full Version : How do you get input?

Jallorn
2010-11-17, 12:32 AM
I've been working on a homebrewed world, and I've gotten very little input despite placing a link in my sig and periodically bumping when I add new stuff.

What do you guys think is the secret to getting people interested in giving out input?

Jota
2010-11-17, 12:43 AM
Run an e-campaign. See how players react.

Or, try somewhere other than GitP. Someone else can help you get help on GitP is that's what you really care about.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-17, 12:43 AM
Ask nicely and hope? I've got one homebrew I'm working on (based on something a friend gave me years ago), and I plugged that sucker several times without anyone saying anything.
Now I keep a bookmark to go back to and work further on editing the class. Occasionally when someone asks for help on creating a character from a show, where I think my homebrew would help out, I send them the link.
Last time I did that, I started getting responses, over a year after first putting the class into the thread.
The internet is fickle.

As far as placing stuff in your sig and hoping people will click on it...
Well I glanced at your sig, nothing jumped out at me that made me want to click on it. If you hadn't mentioned a link in your sig, I probably wouldn't even have glanced at it.
On a given thread, there's close to two dozen links, I can't/won't bother checking them all out.

When you bump your homebrew world, what do you say? "Here's my world, whatchya think?" Isn't really going to get any attention. If you open it up with an epic (as in awesome, not [epic] ) story, people will be more interested.

DracoDei
2010-11-17, 12:54 AM
Well, some people have "if your 'brew is not getting any responses, PM me and I will review it" links in their sigs.

And forget about me. Campaign worlds put me to sleep like a jock in history class... unless your world has a REALLY interesting game-play twist that is...?

Jallorn
2010-11-17, 01:10 AM
Well, it's got several twists on some of the basic expectations of DnD, but no, it's not really that different mechanically (basic low-mid power world mechanically.)

BelGareth
2010-11-17, 12:17 PM
I have the same problem, I post something and get no responses...
I think maybe it is an unofficial quid pro quo system, as in you need to get your name out there and critique other peoples work and maybe they will do the same. You can even ask people who seem to be veterans of boards. Like DracoDei....

akma
2010-11-17, 12:29 PM
And from my personal observations, threads that get the most comments, from big amount of comments to a small number:
Pointless threads that encourage little feedback (birthday threads are the exception)
Topics that become a debate.
Topics that encourage posters to make up stuff.
Homebrew that is broken mechanically, but the fluff is nice+.
Homebrew that is mechnically ok.

Also, the more words a thread got the less likely someone will go read it. I haven`t checked your homebrew world (I`ll glance at it later), but I`m sure it got a lot of words, which will put off people.

P.S. Maybe I should have switched the places of debate topics and make up stuff topics.

AugustNights
2010-11-17, 02:57 PM
I have the same problem, I post something and get no responses...
I think maybe it is an unofficial quid pro quo system, as in you need to get your name out there and critique other peoples work and maybe they will do the same. You can even ask people who seem to be veterans of boards. Like DracoDei....

I can't speak for other playgrounders, but this is only true in that when I know I like what someone else has done before I'm more likely to open the thread, even if the title is unappealing to me.
Other than that, I don't think there is any Quid Pro Quo system, at least not of that sort.

Cleaner posts tend to get more responses.
Innovative and interesting ideas tend to get more responses.
Compelling new ideas that may or may not be broken get loads of responses.
Humorous and well built classes seem to be fairly popular.
Also flavor. Build something juicy and the thread will fill up like crazy. Build something bland, and fairly simple, and one shouldn't be surprised to see it passed up.

One more thing about the veterans is that they've had more experience playing to the playground's audience. That's the nature of being a veteran.

If you need to plug a class, or want feedback This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167327)thread is a good one to turn to.

That's just this Chump's 2 wooden bits painted gold.