PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Soul Eater Build

Thurbane
2010-11-17, 04:55 PM
Hey all,

Looking for advice again. This time it's for a MBEG build. I'm looking for a good chassis for a Soul Eater (BoVD). It's a PrC based around bestowing negative levels by touch, and gaining benefits for yourself when you drain levels. It's full BAB, 3 good saves, 4 skill points/level. Reqs are living non-humanoid (monstrous humanoid is OK), BAB +5, evil alignment, knowledge (arcana) 2 ranks, Alertness and Weapon Focus (natural weapon).

I previously used an advanced Spellwarped Worg as a Soul Eater in my game, but this time I'm looking for a more humanoid enemy. So basically, a monstrous humanoid with a natural attack and as few RHD as possible. I'm shooting for around CR 11 or 12.

Also, what would be a good base class to get the +5 BAB? Alternatively, a montrous humanoid with 5 or so RHD. What's the rule with Prestige Classes and associated classes - are they always considered associated?

My usual exceptions apply - no psionics, Incarnum or ToB. Nothing FR or Eberron specific, and no Dragon Mag or 3rd party/homebrew.

SurlySeraph
2010-11-17, 05:38 PM
A Kobold can do it, with the alternate racial features in the Races of the Dragon web enhancement. If you want something a bit more intimidating, Lizardfolk, Poison Dusk Lizardfolk, Troglodyte, Thri-Kreen or Four-Armed Sahuagin work nicely. You can also do an Elan, using Vile feats, Aberrant feats, or other means to get natural weapon, if that doesn't trip your ban on psionics.

Since psionics and ToB are out, a Spirit Lion Totem Whirling Frenzy Barbarian is probably the strongest full-BAB option.

bannable
2010-11-17, 06:00 PM
I guess I'll just leave this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=363.msg7510#msg7510) here... and then go hide in terror.

Edit: Holy crap that was hard to find.

Akal Saris
2010-11-17, 07:41 PM
Personally, I used it with barbarian, totemist, and anthropomorphic giant squid (3RHD, 1 LA) to make a cthulthu-esque monster with ~13 to 22 level-draining attacks per round.

As a DM, it would certainly spice up some monster types that are otherwise quite boring. Four-armed sahuagin, as mentioned earlier, would be quite awesome. So would a troll or a gray render.

Thurbane
2010-11-17, 08:09 PM
Personally, I used it with barbarian, totemist, and anthropomorphic giant squid (3RHD, 1 LA) to make a cthulthu-esque monster with ~13 to 22 level-draining attacks per round.
On that note: the ability doesn't spell it out, but do you get one drain per touch, or one/round (like a vampire)?

Also note, for this build I'm specifically looking for a humanesque/humanoid creature. :smallwink:

bannable
2010-11-17, 08:12 PM
On that note: the ability doesn't spell it out, but do you get one drain per touch, or one/round (like a vampire)?

Also note, for this build I'm specifically looking for a humanesque/humanoid creature. :smallwink:

Energy Drain (Su): A soul eater gains the ability to drain energy, bestowing negative levels upon its victims. Beginning at 1st level, the
touch of a soul eater bestows one negative level on its target. At 7th level, the soul eater bestows two negative levels with a touch.

Once per touch as far as I can tell. The ability itself doesn't list any restrictions to how often it can be used beyond the requirement to touch. Though...

Do you think a Soul Eater is immune to it's own touch? I don't see a way to suppress the ability...

Callista
2010-11-17, 08:16 PM
It would have to be, or it would drain itself to oblivion. Though presumably not immune to the touches of other Soul Eaters.

Akal Saris
2010-11-17, 08:25 PM
Once per touch as far as I can tell. The ability itself doesn't list any restrictions to how often it can be used beyond the requirement to touch. Though...

Do you think a Soul Eater is immune to it's own touch? I don't see a way to suppress the ability...

Heh...worst PrC ever.

"Everything I touch turns to negative levels! Even myself and everything I've ever loved!"

Urpriest
2010-11-17, 08:44 PM
Heh...worst PrC ever.

"Everything I touch turns to negative levels! Even myself and everything I've ever loved!"

He's negative energy Midas!

Anyway, the typical argument is that Supernatural Abilities take a standard action unless otherwise specified, and Soul Eater takes a standard action and isn't specified. Your choice on that depends on how you read it. Regardless, such things generally only operate if you choose to use them, they aren't on constantly.

Zaq
2010-11-17, 08:51 PM
Hmm. I think a Warforged would qualify. They already have a natural attack, and with two feats, they can get two more, so that's cool. Also, I love the concept of a crazed Warforged desperately trying to give himself a soul through any means necessary.

Gametime
2010-11-17, 08:56 PM
If you're using Soul Eater for a villain, I'd go with the "one per touch" interpretation. Regardless of the rules involved, a standard action to bestow one negative level is pretty underwhelming for a bad guy.

Also keep in mind that if his schtick is negative levels, he'll be pretty easy to neuter, so he should have some other potent offense as backup.

CockroachTeaParty
2010-11-17, 10:12 PM
I once made a mind flayer soul eater. He was awesome. He had a crazy STR score, lower mental sats, and levels in barbarian. When my PCs fought him, they saw this crazy, beefy, frothing mindflayer with an adamantine collar around its neck, attached to a chain that four other mind flayers were holding on to. When they saw the PCs, they pointed to them and let go of the chain... good times.

Any monster that has a thematic eating theme can make a good soul eater, if you ask me. Trolls, for instance: constantly eating to fuel their freakish metabolism, yet the party faces a troll with an even darker hunger...

A fey soul eater could be pretty terrifying, and a different flavor. Think of an invisible pixie, sneaking up and draining levels... bad times.