PDA

View Full Version : A monster that eats spell slots? [D&D 3.5]

Kantolin
2010-11-17, 10:48 PM
Uh. I need a monster that eats spell slots!

To be more specific, I'm playing in a game where the DM would like a living entity that more or less absorbs spell levels from the PCs. I'm going to then suggest that it eats power points as well.

Does a monster that does this exist somewhere, though? Preferably a passive ability to an active one, and preferably an AOE to a single-target.

...I am aware that the spellthief exists.

Sinfonian
2010-11-17, 10:56 PM
I remember a monster called a nishruu from the Baldur's Gate games, it (and its upgraded form) did something along the lines of what you ask. They were immune to magic and drained 1 or 2 spells from the highest level prepared (or unused slots for sorcerors). I'm not sure about stats, but I'm sure you can find some. Just giving some kind of idea of what to look for.

Last Laugh
2010-11-17, 10:58 PM
erm, Spellthief from Complete adventurer can steal spell slots on a sneak attack
Kobold Spellthief1/Wizard X with Master spellthief can steal any spell slot that he can cast levels of.
Combine this with AoE sneak attacks (invisibility + bloodwind gives you 3 ranged natural attacks. if Whirling Blade can sneak attack combine it with sculpt spell for 60ft cone of sneak attacking)

Kantolin
2010-11-17, 10:59 PM
I will look into the Nishru.

And I am indeed aware of the spellthief. Was looking for other things.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-17, 11:05 PM
There's the infernal, but that's from the Epic Level Handbook.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-11-17, 11:26 PM
Essence Reaver, a Secrets of Sarlona monster, behaves much like a spellthief.

Runestar
2010-11-17, 11:28 PM
Level drain would cause casters to lose their highest lv spells or slots.

randomhero00
2010-11-17, 11:29 PM
I know there's *something* devilish or template (it was used on us) IIRC but I don't remember the name.

But don't use it. Its worse than using mordicains disjunction.

(unless I misread and its not permanent spell slot loss)

Psyren
2010-11-17, 11:33 PM
For Psionics, Thought Eaters and Brain Moles eat points. (The latter indirectly through power leech.)

Dexam
2010-11-17, 11:54 PM
I remember a monster called a nishruu from the Baldur's Gate games, it (and its upgraded form) did something along the lines of what you ask. They were immune to magic and drained 1 or 2 spells from the highest level prepared (or unused slots for sorcerors). I'm not sure about stats, but I'm sure you can find some. Just giving some kind of idea of what to look for.

The Nishruu was statted in Monsters of Faerun (3.0 though, not 3.5) . I'm away from my books at the moment, so I can't give you any more details than that.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-17, 11:59 PM
I second the essence reaver, common just look at this guy, he says you are SCREWED!!!! (besides IIRC it is just CR 9 so somewhat usable)

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/sarlona_gallery/103011.jpg

mabriss lethe
2010-11-18, 12:22 AM
*AFB at the moment, so I don't know if the combination would work, but how about a Living Spell made from Symbol of Spell Loss.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-18, 12:28 AM
Shadowcasters's have a Mystery named Warpspell that acts is used to counterspell (its better at it then Greater Dispel actually) and when it succeeds it gives you a free mystery use. The best part is it casts as an immediate action instead of a readied spell, so it can simply fill up on them and cast away.

Or use the Spell-warped template on something with crazy high SR. The templated creature gains status boosts whenever a spell fails against them.

Finally spellthief lets you steal spell slots on a sneak attack, as well as buffs and immunities. A medium level spellthief/Wraith would be freakishly difficult to fight.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-18, 12:33 AM
Arcane Ooze, MM3:

Spell Siphon (Su): An
arcane ooze exerts a strange pull
on arcane spell energy. Any time
an arcane spellcaster begins his turn
within 60 feet of an arcane ooze, he must make
a DC 25 Fortitude save or lose a random spell of the
highest spell level that he has available. For every spell lost
by a victim in this manner, the arcane ooze gains temporary
hit points equal to 5 × the level of the lost spell. These
temporary hit points are lost after 1 hour.
Line of effect between the spellcaster and the arcane ooze
is necessary in order for this ability to work. The save DC is
Constitution-based.

Old Man NPC
2010-11-18, 12:33 AM
Arcane ooze from complete mage (I think)

Kantolin
2010-11-18, 12:49 AM
Arcane Ooze is perfect. O_o

The game itself is epic, so tweaks will have to be made, but these ideas are all wonderful. Thank you, that's plenty ^_^

herbe
2010-11-18, 12:51 AM
A forgotten realms fluffed:
There are gazneths from Cormyr Saga, too. They are demons and eat really lots of magic. but i dont find any fluff but there is some.

hamishspence
2010-11-18, 05:38 AM
The Nishruu was statted in Monsters of Faerun (3.0 though, not 3.5) . I'm away from my books at the moment, so I can't give you any more details than that.

The Player's Guide to Faerun web enhancement provided a 3.5 restat for all 3.0 Faerun book monsters.

And Lost Empires of Faerun also provided a 3.5 restat for the Nishruu.

Zeta Kai
2010-11-18, 06:35 AM
Arcane Ooze is perfect. O_o

The game itself is epic, so tweaks will have to be made, but these ideas are all wonderful. Thank you, that's plenty ^_^

Well, if it's epic, then I'd think that the Infernal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#infernal) would be an easier fit than the Arcane Ooze, but that's just me.

grimbold
2010-11-18, 09:27 AM
or a a humanoid with levels in spellthief

Leon
2010-11-18, 10:32 AM
Thrullg

Large Magical Beast from Iron Kingdoms - Feeds off magic and has a magic draining attack.

It is found in Monsternomicom One

JeminiZero
2010-11-18, 11:05 AM
There is a feat in Libris Mortis called Spell Drain. Basically, it can be tagged onto any creature with Energy Drain (although there are some requirements).

If the monster with this feat Energy Drains a caster, and causes the caster to lose a prepared spell, the Monster gains the ability to cast the spell once within the next hour.

Danin
2010-11-18, 11:57 AM
Essence Reaver from Secrets of Sarlona. If you can possibly get a chance to look at this thing, do so an be amazed. Not only does it drain spells from people (and can use them as a supernatural ability before a minute passes) but it also drains magic items, reducing them to mundane and applying the benefits to him.

For example, if you drain a +2 flaming great-sword, he has +2 flaming claws. If you then drain a +1 frost burst great axe, he has +2 (because enhancement bonuses don't stack) flaming frost burst claws. This makes him a challenge for non casters too!

Not to mention, that the draining of items and spells works if he is hit by them, while his DR 15? / magic suddenly becomes a whole lot more useful. Also, he can drain divine spells. Like heal. Or divine power. Mine was an unhappy cleric-zilla.

Finally, a host of other cool abilities (detects magic in a huge area, some spell like abilities, a climb speed) ensures that this is an encounter most people will wish they could forget.

grimbold
2010-11-18, 12:13 PM
Essence Reaver from Secrets of Sarlona. If you can possibly get a chance to look at this thing, do so an be amazed. Not only does it drain spells from people (and can use them as a supernatural ability before a minute passes) but it also drains magic items, reducing them to mundane and applying the benefits to him.

For example, if you drain a +2 flaming great-sword, he has +2 flaming claws. If you then drain a +1 frost burst great axe, he has +2 (because enhancement bonuses don't stack) flaming frost burst claws. This makes him a challenge for non casters too!

Not to mention, that the draining of items and spells works if he is hit by them, while his DR 15? / magic suddenly becomes a whole lot more useful. Also, he can drain divine spells. Like heal. Or divine power. Mine was an unhappy cleric-zilla.

Finally, a host of other cool abilities (detects magic in a huge area, some spell like abilities, a climb speed) ensures that this is an encounter most people will wish they could forget.

whats the CR on that bad boy?

Psyren
2010-11-18, 12:23 PM
whats the CR on that bad boy?

9... with 18 Aberration HD, wth?

Thurbane
2010-11-18, 07:10 PM
Level drain would cause casters to lose their highest lv spells or slots.
Indeed - there's also a feat in Libris Mortis, Spell Drain, that allows a level drainer to actually gain the spells that it's victoms lose from level drain.

For extra giggles, throw the Soul Eater PrC (BoVD) onto one of the above creatures, and give it the Spell Drain feat. Maybe levels of Spellthief as well, if you want the ultimate "spell sucker". :smalltongue: