PDA

View Full Version : Is there a large template?

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-20, 06:38 PM
Silly question I know.

But I'm looking for a template for simply making a creature large? or maybe just one step larger? I want to make one of my characters (a human) large without turning into something less human. I suppose I could do it with magic but I don't want to have to worry about it getting dispelled or disjunction'ed or removed or whatever.

Chrono22
2010-11-20, 06:45 PM
Well, there is powerful build. I don't know about any templates that wouldn't make you less human, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me to impart some drawbacks to help make up for the benefit. Such as, a -4 to dexterity and a lower base land speed.

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 06:47 PM
The Pathfinder SRD has a simple template for enlarging a creature one size (+1 to LA).

Might do.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-20, 07:46 PM
There's also the feat Jotunbrund from Races of Faerun but it must be taken at 1st level. It's similar to Powerful Build.

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-20, 07:47 PM
There's a feat out of RoF called "Jotenbrud". It gives you powerful build, limited to humans only.

Edit: Ninja'd.

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 07:50 PM
Actually, it's slightly weaker than Powerful Build.

You get most of the things (count as Large for opposed checks, swallow whole attempts, improved grab attempts, and so on, whenever it would be advantageous to you.)

But you don't get the ability to wield Large weapons.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-20, 07:53 PM
Isn't there a feat somewhere, I think it's called Willing Deformity: Tall, or somesuch, that makes you large sized?

hamishspence
2010-11-20, 07:56 PM
It's in Heroes of Horror- and doesn't change your size, but grants you an additional 5 ft of Reach.

Urpriest
2010-11-20, 10:45 PM
Dragon magazine half-ogre will arguably make you more monstrous, but will do it. And then of course there's Titanic. But I think skipping large and going directly to gargantuan might not be your cup of tea.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-21, 12:18 AM
Half-Minotaur in Dragon 313 grants some obscene bonuses including a size increase for only a +1 LA, it must be a typo but there's no errata for any articles. Probably only available in a high-powered campaign.

A variant Half-Fiend (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) based on any Huge or larger fiend will increase your size category. Half-Goristro (FC1) would give Str +8, Con +8, +5 natural armor, and a size increase, plus you could probably exchange the claws and bite for its two slam attacks which each count as two-handed attacks. It wouldn't grant wings and some of the spell-like abilities may change, but it's probably the best choice for a melee character if you're going to take the half-fiend level adjustment.

Edit: those two can be combined on a single character as well. A Water Orc Half-Minotaur Half-Goristro would be huge size, and get Str +32, Dex -4, Con +20, Int -4, Wis -2, Cha -2, +12 natural armor, 40 ft. land speed, 40 ft. swim speed, 2 powerful slams and a gore attack, Scent, Darkvision, Track, DR/Cold Iron or Good, SR, resistances, immunities, spell-like abilities, etc. all for only a +5 LA.

Felhammer
2010-11-21, 12:26 AM
Half-Minotaur in Dragon 313 grants some obscene bonuses including a size increase for only a +1 LA, it must be a typo but there's no errata for any articles. Probably only available in a high-powered campaign.

The Half-Minotaur is a lot of fun but it IS quite powerful for a +1 LA.