PDA

View Full Version : The "Liza Jane" II (docked)

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Thriss
2006-11-05, 04:13 PM
Thriss takes the spike in one hand. He uses the other three to climb up after Dovis. I is called Thriss.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2006-11-05, 04:17 PM
Thriss it is then. I'm Dovis, and you'll surely get to meet the rest of the hands soon enough.

He settles in the maintop and starts unrigging the maze of stays and braces.

You know the Captain? A good feller he is, been with him for years I have.

Thriss
2006-11-05, 04:23 PM
I hasn't met him yet. Is only meeting you, Janae, and hands. Thriss assists with the unrigging as best he can.

2006-11-09, 07:34 AM
The Pirate King emerges from his cabin, followed closely by Janae.

Are you certain, sir? Our Letter of Marque does not specifically include the Northlands. In fact the Navy isn't even at war with them.

"Yes, but they trade freely with the Black Kingdoms, and the final fleets are away before the harbors ice up. Don't target the Northern fleet, Janae. But if they get in your way..."

A wicked glint fills the elf's eye. Aye, captain. Good luck in Serran.

El Jaspero shakes her hand. "Best of luck to you as well, Janae. I'll try to catch up with you when this is all over." He springs over the side as Janae gives her orders to Lothren.

All hands! All hands to unmoor and make sail! Within a few minutes the Liza Jane is again underway, bound for the frigid northern seas.

2006-11-12, 08:24 PM
A few days later the Liza glides back into port, followed by a handful of merchant ships of the Black Kingdoms. The sailors rub their hands greedily and congratulate each other on an easy fortune.

Arrrh, me buggy friend, says one as he slaps Thriss on the back. Did ye ever see so handy a piece o' work as this? An entire convoy in one afternoon. Brilliant, it was! He wanders off, already figuring his share of the voyage's profits in his head.

Thriss
2006-11-12, 08:28 PM
Thriss nods and continues to clean off his swords. It was nice piece of work, wasn't it? Showed them.

Ceika
2006-11-12, 08:31 PM
As the ship gracefully slides up to the dock, the figurehead seems to move slightly. A figure listens carefully as ropes are thrown over the side to tie to the docks, and slips carefully from her hidden perch atop the namesake of the Liza Jane. As the hands on the ship busy themselves with their duties, she scales down the bow and slips beneath the docks, trying not to be sean.

Being as stealthy as possible, she times her exit carefully, waiting for the exact moment to make her move. When all eyes are turned from her location, she slips out from under the dock and quickly heads toward the town, drawing her tattered cloak around her tightly.

((v: Thanks!))

AmberVael
2006-11-12, 08:33 PM
((Gah! Its a Ceika! Welcome back!))

Thriss
2006-11-17, 01:07 AM
Thriss decides to take a little shore leave. He jumps down from the ship and walks off along the docks, not headed anywhere in particular.

2006-11-27, 09:24 PM
The Pirate King steps aboard with a worried look on his face. He stops at the top of the gangplank and grabs Dovis's huge arm.

"Aly Falconsblood is expected aboard. Show her to my cabin, and no questions."

Dovis returns his captain's worried look, but nods. Aye, sir. Cabin and no questions it is.

El Jaspero ducks into his cabin to wait.

Ceika
2006-11-27, 09:32 PM
Aly cautiously makes her way through the docks and to the large ship. She nervously clutches her cloak around her with one hand, the other fingering one of the pistols in her belt. She walks to the base of the gangplank and looks to the deck. Her voice trembles slightly but she manages to steady it as she calls to the sailors on deck.

Permission ta speak wit' th' capt'n!

2006-11-27, 09:34 PM
A gruff tower of a half-orc steps to the gangplank. He is trying very hard not to smile. Aye, the cap'n's here. What's yer business with 'im?

Thriss
2006-11-27, 09:37 PM
[Just remembered I have yet to bring Thriss back here.]
Thriss walks along the dock below the ship, stopping when he sees Aly. He decides that this is clearly not his business, and leaps up to the ships deck, where he busies himself with some routine maintenence.

Ceika
2006-11-27, 09:39 PM
M'bus'n'ss is me'own, bu' th' capt'n said we cou'd talk...

2006-11-27, 09:40 PM
Dovis hmpfs and holds his ground. Got a name?

Ceika
2006-11-27, 09:43 PM
She holds her ground as well, her fear masked by her show of courage.

Yeah... s'Aly... Alyise Falconsblood.

2006-11-27, 09:46 PM
The half-orc raises an eyebrow, but eventually nods. Right then. He's in the cabin. He jerks his thumb in the cabin's direction, then steps aside.

Ceika
2006-11-27, 09:47 PM
Aly nods and quickly jogs up the plank and onto the deck to follow the big guy.

2006-11-27, 09:52 PM
Dovis leads the way aft to the cabin door, then knocks.

"Ahoy! Enter."

Dovis opens the door and holds it for Aly with a curious smile.

Ceika
2006-11-27, 09:57 PM
Aly slips past the big guy and quickly steps into the cabin. Her voice is quiet but she does her best to keep it steady.

Ye want'd ta talk ta me?

2006-11-27, 10:01 PM
Dovis salutes and closes the door behind Aly.

The Pirate King looks up from behind his desk. Though clearly this is a pirate captain's cabin, it is strangley adorned with double bed and a fine piece of needlework above it, showing the Liza Jane under full sail in a storm.

"So." He looks her over. "You be Alyise Falconsblood, aye?"

Ceika
2006-11-27, 10:06 PM
She swallows hard but nods once.

Aye, tha's righ'.

2006-11-27, 10:09 PM
El J nods curtly and points to a chair. "Sit."

He reaches into his desk and pulls out bottle and a glass. He splashes some rum into the glass and hands it to Aly. "Drink."

Ceika
2006-11-27, 10:13 PM
She obeys with no resistance and even less hesitation.

2006-11-27, 10:19 PM
The Pirate King makes a satisfied sound.

"So. Ye wants t' join the famed El Jaspero's crew, d' ye? See th' world, live a life o' plunder and drink? Is that why ye be here?"

Ceika
2006-11-27, 10:24 PM
I's 'ere 'cause ye tol' me ta come. Tha' ain't an off'r ya tu'n down, s'wha' I know.

Her voice is shakey, but she's trying to keep a solid image.

2006-11-27, 10:27 PM
El J nods. "Mmm, hmm, it's seein' I be. Yer proper an' due respect t' th' Pirate King. Commendable, that be."

He looks her over. "Ye knows yer way 'round a boat? How t' reef a sail, haul a rope an' tie it off?"

Ceika
2006-11-27, 10:32 PM
I knows some. I c'n le'rn more. Tha' wha' ya's talkin' ta me fer?

She is still visibly nervous in the pirate king's presence.

2006-11-27, 10:34 PM
"Nay, not hardly." El J chuckles. "Any damn fool can haul a rope. But this here ain't no cruise boat." He nods to her pistols. "You know how to use them things?"

Ceika
2006-11-27, 10:42 PM
She smiles slightly and stands then suddenly draws her pistols masterfully aiming in on El Jaspero. She tilts her head to the side.

These? Yeah, I thin' I c'n use 'em ok.

2006-11-27, 10:48 PM
The Pirate King doesn't even acknowledge the pistols aimed at him. "An' how 'bout when things get cozy?" He looks at her rusty cutlass disdainfully. "That cleaver ain't even yours, is it? 's too much bulk for a lass like you. You know how to handle a knife?"

Ceika
2006-11-27, 10:52 PM
As quickly as the guns are drawn, they're away again.

Too much fer a lass li' me? I uses wha' I c'n get. If tha's a balde, I uses it. If s'gun, I uses tha' too. I ain' n'strang'r ta fight'n

2006-11-27, 11:03 PM
"Nay." El J adjusts his eyepatch unconsciously. "I don't suppose y' are."

He pulls a ledger out of his desk and offers her a pen. "I'll sign ye on as 'n able hand, a full share, just make yer mark here. You'll be starboard watch startin' tomorrow morn, t' give ye time to bring yer kit aboard."

He looks her over again. "Ye do have a kit t' bring aboard, aye?"

Ceika
2006-11-27, 11:07 PM
Aye th'n.

She takes the pen and quickly scribbles her name where indicated.

An... n'I don'. I ain' got nuttin 'cept wha' I's got 'ere.

2006-11-27, 11:19 PM
The Pirate King scowls. "I'll not have me crew dressed in rags, 'td bring shame t' th' barky."

He tosses Aly a small pouch of coins. "Get yerself some proper clothes an'a trunk, lass. Fer th' honor o' th' ship."

El J suddenly reaches into his coat and puts a simple, but masterfully-made dagger atop the pouch. "And this, Aly...this is yours, for now. Until we get you something more suitable."

He waves to the door and turns back to the papers on his desk. "Away wit' ye now. Get yerself a bit o' rest while ye can."

Ceika
2006-11-27, 11:31 PM
Aly takes the coins and the blade somewhat reluctantly, but with a solemn nod.

Aye, sir. I'll tak' care o'it. F'rst ligh' t'morrow, I'll b'ere. Ye c'n coun' on it.

Aly mimics the salute that the big guy gave when leaving, and slips back out of the cabin, tucking the dagger in her belt and the pouch of coins beneath her cloak somewhere. She heads off the ship and dissappears into town to get some gear and some rest.

2006-11-27, 11:39 PM
El J watches the door Aly stepped through for a long time, a sad look on his face.

"Ceika...I hope you'll forgive me for this someday."

He tucks the ledger back into his desk, then rises and, after speaking a few words to Dovis, he leaves the ship.

Ceika
2006-11-28, 09:01 AM
Aly hurries down the docks to the ship, then climbs aboard without hesitation. She heads below deck to find and claim an empty hammock to store her gear with. She asks a few of the crew and finally gets directed to one in the fore of the ship, where she stuffs the bag into the chest, locks it, and lashes it down securely. Then she heads topside to take up her new post.

2006-11-28, 11:14 PM
It has been a weary, long day for Aly.

The crew is busy shifting the summer rigging for stouter winter tackle and sails. The stout winter canvas is heavy and stiff, though the crisp fall air at least sweeps the the musty odors away quickly. The sailors rub their hands and drink hot grog to keep warm aloft.

Alas, there is also a bilge to be mucked, year-old cargo to be shifted, and several hundred pounds of foul, waterlogged gravel ballast to be shifted. Who got that job? You bet. A bedraggled, stinking and sodden Aly emerges from belowdecks just as Janae is coming down to check on her.

Ahoy there, Aly. A fine mess ye are. Finished below already?

Thriss
2006-11-28, 11:18 PM
((What job did Thriss get? I'm just curious))

Ceika
2006-11-28, 11:20 PM
Aly wipes sweat off her brow, her mucky arms leaving smears in place of the sweat.

Aye, Ma'am. Wha's nex'?

She tries not to let her exhaustion show through in her voice or her movements, though clearly, every movement is an effort.

2006-11-28, 11:25 PM
A raised eyebrow is as much of a smile as Janae allows herself. Your hammock, girl. It'd ruin the ship's reputation to work a hand to death her first day.

She gives Aly a stern, but curious look. And that's orders. You'll be on duty evenings while we're in port; spend your time off how you like, it's none of my business. But the Captain has issued a special directive for you."

Ceika
2006-11-28, 11:31 PM
Aye, Ma'am... Aft'rnoon's an' ev'nin's....

She pauses, realizing what the first mate said.

Wha' d'rect've th' cap'n gots fer me?

2006-11-28, 11:37 PM
Janae nods her head to the gundeck, where the hammocks are hung. He wants you to sleep aboard, every night. I didn't realize he'd turned the boat into a dormitory, but orders are orders. Something about "not letting the hands be seen sleeping under hedges".

She shrugs. Gods know, there's plenty of our hands have slept and will again in worse places than a hedge, but there you have it, Aly. Janae heads back topside, calling Goodnight, miss. over her shoulder.

Ceika
2006-11-28, 11:45 PM
Aly's brow furrows briefly as she tries to understand the reasoning behind her orders, and looks slightly annoyed when her grassy bed is criticized, but she swallows back any comments she has and simply nods.

Aye ma'am. Rests me 'ead on th' ship only. I und'rst'nd. G'nigh', ma'am...

Aly watches the first mate walk off, then sighs and heads toward her hammock. Rest rarely sounded so good to her, as she had done far more than her fair share of the work for the day. She worked hard, and her muscles were definately letting her know it. She absently rubbed the back of her arm, which she had strained a bit while moving the cargo, but, as sore as she was, no one pain stood above the rest. She walks to her hammock and flops down, not even bothering to remove her new boots, which were already looking a bit ragged. Within moments, Aly is fast asleep.

2006-11-29, 12:03 AM
As Aly's breathing slows and deepens, a figure steps out of the gundeck's shadows. It glides across the room to stand near her hammock, gazing at her sadly. After a moment the captain turns and slips away silently.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 10:13 AM
Aly woke with a slight groan. Her muscles were stiff and aching, but she tried to stretch some of the pain out. The only thought that made her even halfway smile was the fact that she still had a few coins left... enough to get a rum. That'd loosen up the muscles for certain. She pushed herself into a sitting position, tipping the hammock enough to slip out of it. She groaned again when her feet hit the floor, igniting new pain through her legs and back. With some difficulty, she straightened her shoulders and headed for the stairs, determined not to let the rest of the crew know she was in pain... or at least, not letting them know how much pain she was in.

She was almost to the stairs when a female stepped between her and her way out, with a smile that chilled Aly's blood. An' where ya gettin off to this early in th' day, lass?

Aly swallowed hard but stood her ground. She didn't like the sound of this at all. Firs' Mate L'manderi say I cou'd g'onsh're 'till th'ev'nin's.

The gunner shook her head in mock pity. Nay, she said ye could go about on yer own time. But this... this is my time, not yers. Tessa produced a cannonball from behind her back and tossed it to Aly, who caught it, then struggled to not let it drop. The gunner watched in sadistic amusement for a few moments, then continued. Ya see, tha's what we use in battle... our weapon, so t'say. But they're all rusty... and that'd damage the guns, ye see. Can't be havin' that, now can we? So they gots to be cleaned, simple s'that. An' ye get the honor o' doin it.

Aly looked at the rusty cannonball in her hands and sighed inaudibly, then nodded and responded, through clenched teeth. Aye, ma'am. Wh're d'I star', th'n?

Tessa's grin widened. That's a good lass. Ye c'n start with wha's by th' guns. Come an' let me know when yer done wit' that, and ye can start on the shot in the hold. Tessa held out a small chisel-like tool. Here. Ye can even use this.

Aly's glare iced over, but she snatched the tool and turned back around to face the day's chores, biting her toungue to keep from mouthing off to a superior sailor. Aye. Ma'am.

2006-11-29, 11:31 AM
The Pirate King swaggers on deck, his coat buttoned against the coming cold. He casts his eye aloft and takes in the scene quickly, then hollers a few commands to the captain of the tops. He turns to walk away but pauses at the sound of a steady, metallic chipping. He gives Tessa a quick grin and heads into his cabin, calling for the carpenter as he goes.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 12:04 PM
Aly glares at the cannonball as she continues chipping away at the flecks of rust, grimacing as she slips and cuts her hand for the fifth or sixth time. Swallowing back a curse, she switches hands and keeps on working. Four done. Only several hundred more to go. She rolls her eyes, mentally swearing up a storm though she is careful not to let her thoughts out, and continues chipping at the rough metal.

2006-11-29, 04:30 PM
El Jaspero emerges from his cabin. He looks at piles of shiny, perfectly spherical cannonballs stacked neatly on deck, but frowns to see that Aly is nowhere to be seen.

"Tessa! Where the hell is she?"

Tessa saunters up. She straightens her ebony hair and chuckles. Forward magazine, of course.

The Pirate King scowls. "What the devil? She shouldn't still be chipping shot at this hour of day." His gives a malicious smile. "She's on duty, and cook says the galley stoves need cleaning. Lots of cleaning." He turns and heads back into Town, whistling merrily to himself.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 05:05 PM
The hours dragged slowly by for Aly, who was gladly taking her aggression, which was aimed primarily at the gunner, out on the cannonballs. Being under deck at this point, she had very little to judge the hour by. Furiously, she just kept chipping at the shot. Her entire body still ached, and it was looking more and more like this was the norm for her new post. She cursed under her breath and attacked the last bit of rust on one cannonball, then set that one aside and reached for another.

Ne'er ends... e's go' enough bloody shot 'ere ta tak'on a 'ole fleet...

Disgusted, sore, and angry, she set to chipping off the rust again.

__________________________________________________ ________

Aly continued chipping and cleaning until she noticed that it was getting harder to see in the room. She reached for a lamp and was about to light it when a grave realization dawned on her. If it was getting dark, then she was late to get to her post. She swore out loud and quickly set the cannonball aside, and took off, tripping over herself as her muscles screamed at her, toward top deck to get her duties for the evening. She'd not eaten since yesterday morning, and now, it looked like another hard shift awaited her. It had already been a long day... and it was getting longer all the time.

2006-11-29, 07:34 PM
Aly is interrupted halfway up by Victor, the aged ship's steward. He gives her a conspiratorial wink as she passes...and a napkin with a cut of dried beef, a hard roll, a thin wedge of cheese and a handful of dried cherries.

Careful, miss...wouldn't want to fall faint on your first day, no no.

He shuffles off and Aly is confronted with the blustering ship's cook, who promptly puts her to work cleaning the galley stoves and pots. Late or no, I expects a full eight-hours' worth o' work out of ye by the time yer shift ends. She hands Aly a few cleaning supplies and stomps off to inventory her stores.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 07:41 PM
Though surprised, she nodded thankfully at Victor, wolfing down what she can of the food and tucking the rest away before she's caught with it. When confronted by the cook, she doesn't even get a chance to stammer a response before she's put to work on the cleaning.

Aly's arms ache with the repetition of the day's tasks, but it's far from over, so she clenches her teeth and gets back to work, scrubbing the dishes with a slightly renewed vigor thanks to the boost of energy from the seemingly contraband food.

She scrubs pot after pot in the seemingly endless pile without saying a word... out loud at least. The cuts and blisters on her hands burn in the soap and grease of the cooking pots as she attacks them with as much effort as she can muster.

2006-11-29, 08:41 PM
A pair of off-duty dwarves meander into the galley. Oy there, kitchen girl! Couple pints o' grog fer the weary hands, haha!

Ceika
2006-11-29, 08:56 PM
Aly growls and ignores them, scrubbing the pots harshly, thinking they're talking to someone else. She keeps her mind on the task at hand for the moment.

2006-11-29, 09:00 PM
The dwarves take a step closer. Oy, you there. Grog fer me an' me mate, and be quick about it girly.

Aye, a lass like that should know better'n to keep a dwarf waiting for his drink, eh?

Harh, ain't it the truth.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 09:06 PM
Aly looks back over her shoulder when they persist and answers with a growl.

I's jus' 'ere ta cle'n th' gall'y. Get'ch'r own damn drinks.

She turns back to her work with a roll of her eyes and an angry grunt.

2006-11-29, 09:13 PM
The second dwarf chuckles, but the first is having none of it and takes another step forward. I seen you come aboard in rags last night, girl. Me an' Bul here 've been on this here barky for months now. I'd say the new hand owes us old salts our due respect. Now be a good girl and fetch us our grog before I has to report ye.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 09:44 PM
Aly clenches her fists and narrows her eyes, still facing the pots she's working on. The long shift, little sleep, and grind of the day had her on edge already. She could handle the work. She could handle the pain and the stresses. She couldn't handle people who get in her way when she's trying to get a job done.

She growled and wheeled around, a fire in eyes that is unmistakable, spitting on the one addressing her before she started talking.

I don' giv'a damn who ye are, and I don' giv'a damn 'ow long ye be'n 'ere. I don' owes ye nuttin, and if'n ye wan's a drink, ye's be' be gettin' it yers'lf, 'cause I ain' gonna. If'n yer gonna go'n run t'yer cap'n, go'n do it. I don' care. I ain gittin' ye n'damn grog.

She walks forward as she talks, to where she's just about shouting down at the top of his head.

2006-11-29, 09:51 PM
The first dwarf looks at the spittle on his vest, but doesn't move to brush it off. Nay. I think we'll not be headin' t' th cap'n.

He turns to the second dwarf. Come on, Bul, 'fore this goes any further.

Aye, nods his friend. Best put and end t' it before it gets out o' hand.

Aye. With that, the first dwarf spins and aims a punch straight for Aly's stomach as Bul steps up to stand behind him.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 10:05 PM
Aly takes the punch, steps back, and momentarily hunches over a bit to steady herself. She opens her mouth as if to cry out, then snaps her mouth shut and hurls herself forward into the two, trying to drive her attacker to the ground, while avoiding hitting the other one at all costs. Somehow, in the confusion, she managed to pull the dagger that the Pirate King had given her. She swings the knife at the one who attacked her, ignoring the second unless he moves to attack.

2006-11-29, 10:16 PM
The dwarves are caught off-guard by the sight of steel so early in a fight.

Vik, look out! Aly easily knocks the first dwarf to the floor; he grabs her wrist as he falls, but still takes a shallow cut on his other arm. His fingers locked around her arm, Vik tries to grab her leg with his other hand while Bul leaps over his comrade to grab a large cast-iron skillet and swing it at Aly's back.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 10:29 PM
Aly swings, with her free hand, at the dwarf's midsection, just below the ribs. The dwarf grabs her leg and manages to hold her fast, though she's writhing in his grasp. She brings a knee up to try to get some leverage in the fight, or nail a pressure point, preferrably both.

2006-11-29, 10:33 PM
Vik grunts as Aly's fist hits home, then cries out in pain as she drives her knee into him. He releases her wrist and collapses but Bul takes another swing at her head with his skillet.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 10:45 PM
As a reflex, Aly throws herself to the side when her original attacker collapses. She is hit by the swinging skillet, but her quick movement made it so that it caught in the back of the shoulder, not in the head. There is a loud crask as it connects, knocking her off balance and sending her sprawling onto the ground. She's quick to recover her feet and face her new attacker, taking an aggressive stance. She looks at the skillet and growls angerly.

Tha'd bett'r na' be on'e o'th' clean'n's.

2006-11-29, 10:50 PM
Bul grins. It ain't no more, that's fer sure. He casually licks the pan then steps forward over Vik, swiging the pan at Aly's bruised shoulder.

Somewhere above, footsteps are heard.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 11:01 PM
Aly quickly sized up the situation. She again tried to dodge the blow most of the way, getting into a better position to attack. Again, her shoulder takes the brunt of the impact and her facial muscles tense as she stifles a groan. Trying to ignore the pain in her whole body, especially in her arm, Aly lunges headfirst into the dwarf, trying to throw him into the wall. She doesn't seem to register the footsteps.

2006-11-29, 11:16 PM
Bul smiles as his skillet lands another blow, but clearly was not ready for Aly to turn on him quite so fast. Her charge knocks him back only a couple steps, but it's enough to send him into the sprawled form of Vik; Bul's feet tangle in Vik's legs and he flops backwards up against a cupboard, arms windmilling in an attempt to regain his balance.

The galley door bangs open.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 11:28 PM
Aly pushes herself back a few steps from the dwarf, readying herself for his counter-attack, once he has his balance back. She freezes, though, when the door is slammed open.

2006-11-29, 11:32 PM
Dovis barges into the galley. He is unarmed, but might as well be. Barely-controlled rage makes his burly frame even more massive.

This had better be good.

Vik drops the skillet and slumps to the floor.

Ceika
2006-11-29, 11:37 PM
Aly, one to be skittish at times, but not one to outright cower, retreated away from the dwarves, stumbling backward into a table. Her eyes were wide with terror at the display. Subconsiously, she sheathes her dagger.

2006-11-29, 11:45 PM
Dovis eyes the scene quickly, then points at the dwarves.

You two. Off my boat. Bul tries to choke out a protest but he fades quickly as Dovis takes a single, purposeful step forward. I said off. Get. Bul picks himself up, then helps Vik to his feet. They stagger out of the galley together, looking nervously over their shoulders.

Dovis gives them a dismissive snort then turns to Aly. Troublemakers. No place for 'em in a tight ship. He picks up the skillet and casually hangs it back up. Makin' trouble is one thing, sailors always fight. Shedding a fellow crewman's blood, though...that's a whole 'nother matter. He turns to Aly, suddenly looming over her. Tell me, Aly. What should I do with you, hmm?

Ceika
2006-11-29, 11:49 PM
Aly looks up at Dovis, trying desperately not to let her fear show through. She swallows hard and half shakes, half nods, her head. Her voice falters, but she tries to cover it up with a shrug and a slight cough.

2006-11-30, 12:03 AM
Dovis grunts. So, you do have some respect left in you.

He looks around at the rattled kitchen. Well then. Here's what's going to happen. Them dwarf bums are off the ship, which is no loss to the barky. You're going to finish cleaning them kettles and get all this dwarf blood out of the floorboards. And that's that. No need for the captain to hear about this, not until next time. And there won't be a next time, will there Aly?" He leans in close, looking intently into her eyes.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 12:13 AM
Aly swallowed hard again, trying to keep color in her cheeks and sweat off her brow. Her eyes nervously darted around the galley, to the blood on the floorboards. She shakes her head and answers in a timid, trembling voice.

N'sir, ain' gonna be no nex' time...

She tries to back away a bit further, but the table prevents it.

2006-11-30, 12:19 AM
Dovis gives a toothy smile. Good, good.

He turns to go. Someone made a hell of a mess down here...you'd best work fast. You'll want at least a couple hours of sleep before Tessa gets hold of you again. Then he is gone, shutting the galley door behind himself.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 12:34 AM
Aly nods and lets her breath out in a haggard sigh. With grim determination on her face, she resumes her duties, starting with cleaning the blood off the floor, before it has a chance to soak in too deep. Her shoulder is broken, and her arm's swelling hinders her somewhat in her tasks, but she works as hard as she possibly can to get things cleaned up before the cook returns. It's a good many hours before Aly finally finishes up, wiping off the counter as a final touch.

With a exhausted sigh, Aly dropped the dishtowl on the table on her way out and limped weakly back to her hammock, finishing off the food that she was given earlier along the way. She laid down, trying to get comfortable, which was proving difficult with her injuries, and tossed and turned for several more hours, finally slipping into a restless sleep an hour or so before dawn.

2006-11-30, 07:00 AM
When Aly wakes, she'll find that her battered shoulder has been set and tied in a sling. It still rages with pain, but at least it'll heal properly now. Presumably she did the job herself just before drifting off, for it's absurd to think that someone could be so nimble as to have done it as she slept.

Isn't it?

Ceika
2006-11-30, 08:47 AM
Aly awakes with a startled jolt and grinds her teeth against the pain in her arm. She reactively brings the other arm up to protect her wounded shoulder and freezes when she feels the sling. She doesn't remember bandaging her arm, but then again, yesterday was a bit of a blur. She rubbed her burning eyes with the back of her hand, which didn't help much, as filthy as her hands were. She blinks a few times to clear her vision and slowly gets out of her hammock. This time, though, instead of heading to the top deck, she goes back to cleaning the rust from the cannonballs, the task she failed to complete yesterday.

She picks up where she left off, her old method made nearly impossible by the use of only one arm, but she manages to figure out a new strategy. Rhythmically, she sets to chipping away at the shot, not daring to think of how much she has left to do, but determined to get it done.

After a little while, Tessa walked by, pausing to smile cruely as she passed the room in which Aly was working. With a satisfied nod, she went on her way as swiftly as she came. Aly didn't even notice the gunner's brief stay, her mind equally divided on blocking out the pain and chipping away the rust.

2006-11-30, 10:48 AM
Far above Aly's head, the Pirate King returns to his ship. A glance is all it takes, and all his senior officers immediately head for the cabin.

"So," El Jaspero begins as Gaelon, late as usual, scurries into the room. "How's the new hand coming along?" A chorus of quiet chuckles break out as the halfling shuts the door behind himself.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 11:05 AM
Aly remains oblivious to the Pirate King's commings and goings. She keeps on at her job, stacking the cleaned shot to the side as she finishes one pile and starts on another in the apparently never-ending supply. To say her spirits were grim is to give her entirely too much credit. At this point, she had no spirits left. Her body ached, her arm sent bolts of pain through her every time she jostled it, her eyes burned, and her mind was just about numb. The only reality of which she was constantly aware was the soft clanging of her own work.

2006-11-30, 01:01 PM
The cabin door opens and the Liza's officers file out again, ready for their lunch. "Tessa," the captain calls out. "She's had enough for today, don't you think?"

The gunner grins and nods. Aye, that she has.

"Good. Let her go for the afternoon...and send me Alilyn."

Aye, ship's clerk it is.

Tessa makes her way to the forward magazine and stops in the doorway, aghast. Stacks of gleaming, beautiful shot greet her gaze...but no Aly. What the devil? She turns and heads aft to make her report to the captain but is distracted by a rhythmic clanking...from the aft magazine. She opens the door and quickly does her best to hide her surprised grin.

Finished the for'ard shot, I see. Not bad, 'specially with the one arm and all. She eyes Aly carefully. You know how to fire and load a ship's gun? She gives her a wry smile. I seem to have lost a couple hands from portside number three, Willful Murder, last night and decent gunners are hard to find.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 01:07 PM
Aly sighs slightly, cringing as she readjusts her position to turn and look at the one addressing her. Her expression would be of hatred, if she only had the energy to manage one. Instead she stares blankly at the gunner and nods slightly.

Aye, ma'am. I ain' th' bes' on th' bi'guns, bu' I c'n man'ge. Bu' I ain' don' 'ere....

She turns back to her work.

2006-11-30, 03:10 PM
((Sorry, got dragged away.))

Tessa chuckles. No, not done with it all. But you've chipped enough shot to last us months. Hell, it'll be rusty again before we get around to using it. Sweep up your mess here and stack what you've done. You're finished down here. I'll inform the rest of Willful Murder's crew that you're joining them.

She nods, then spins on her heel and leaves.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 03:39 PM
((That's perfectly fine, I understand!))

Aly nods slightly and sets the cannonball aside, using her good arm to push herself to her feet.

Aye, ma'am.

As the gunner leaves, Aly reaches for a broom and clumsily sweeps up the mess she's made, though she figures more is probably on her than on the floor. Her new clothes have been put through the ringer over the past two days. She tries to straighten her shirt out, but her shoulder prevents her from doing much. She shakes her head and starts toward portside to get aquiainted with her new position.

Supagoof
2006-11-30, 04:21 PM
((This is simply the best rp dialogue I've have ever read on these forums. I'd ask to join in, but I don't think I could keep up. Kudos to you two.))

2006-11-30, 04:52 PM
((Thanks, goof! It takes two to tango, and I am lucky enough to be consistently blessed with brilliant dance partners.))

Willful Murder's crew is a scruffy, seasoned lot. They're all humans, a rare thing on this polyglot ship. Their captain tosses a silvery braid over her shoulder as she steps up and offers her hand. I'm Kate, captain of ol' Willful here. Rumor has it you know something about Vik and Bul getting cast ashore.

She gives Aly's sling a significant look.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 05:13 PM
((Thanks, Goof, it's good to know people other than myself and El J are enjoying this particular dance step! And I'd like to say, on the record, it's an honor to dance with the best, El J!))

Aly doesn't have the energy to feel out of place among the old salt crew of the the gun, so she takes Kate's hand, shaking it firmly.

Aly. I guess I's work'n wit' ya fer now?

Aly shirks off the latter part of the question by shrugging her good shoulder.

McBish
2006-11-30, 05:14 PM
((I am also enjoying your guy's posts. Makes me wish I was a pirate.))

2006-11-30, 05:44 PM
Kate's grip is hard as iron. At least it evens out the pain in her arms. Aye, yer one o' mine now. She winks. One o' the Willfuls as they like t' call us. She gives the rune-encrused barrel of her beloved gun a pat. You're lucky, lass. Willful's a lucky gun. They say if he don't get you killed, he'll get you promoted, maybe even make you a captain. She shrugs. Let 'em say what they want, there ain't a better 18-pounder afloat.

She proceeds to introduce the other members of the gun's crew; two twin brothers, the shortest, burliest woman Aly's ever met, and a handful of fairly typical sailors. With that bum arm o' yours you'd best not be hauling on no ropes too hard for a while. You'll swab, at least for now. But when things get close, you'll board and repel. Any questions?

Ceika
2006-11-30, 05:54 PM
Aly tries not to visibly wince at the pain of Kate's handshake, looking over the gun and the people who worked it. She nods to the crew as they're introduced. Promoted sounded like a decent fate to Aly, then again, at the moment, killed didn't sound too bad either. Willful... Aly pondered the name. She's been called willful before... or was that stubborn? Aly figured it was close enough either way.

Arm'll 'eal. I'll m'ke do. Swab fer th' now, b'rd an' r'pel l'ter on. I c'n 'andle it.

2006-11-30, 06:53 PM
Kate grins wolfishly. I'm sure you will. She claps Aly on her good shoulder and nods her head. Us Willfuls are headed into Town for a spot o' dinner. Care t' join us? She turns to the rest of the crew with a chortle. First round's on me, Aly. Anybody gets rid o' Vik and Bul, I'll gladly buy a drink.

Xerillum
2006-11-30, 07:37 PM
A large container galley, carrying lots of precious spices, sails through the fog, blind. it is heading in the direction of the Willful Murder.

2006-11-30, 07:57 PM
((You do realize that Willful Murder is a cannon, right? And the gun's crew is headed to dinner? And that the ship said cannon is mounted on is presently docked at the Town's wharf?))

Ceika
2006-11-30, 08:06 PM
Aly nods slightly, a slight smile on her face due to their acceptance. Her stomach gumbled it's agreeance as well.

Yeah, arrigh'. Soun's li' a deal. Tho' I ain' sur' I shu'd get th' cred't fer it...

2006-11-30, 08:11 PM
The sailors smile, an honest welcome to their tight little family. Deserved or not, we'll give you the credit anyway. Step lively, now. The sailors head into Town, the flow of talk and stories already beginning as they take in a new member of the Willfuls.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 08:14 PM
She followed with the group, not exactly stepping lively, but keeping up to the best of her ability.

Xerillum
2006-11-30, 08:27 PM
((ummm, errr, ummm, gotta run!))

Flabbicus
2006-11-30, 08:36 PM
(( And trying to destroy the ship gets old after the 2nd time. Try fighting the FSM temple. ))

Xerillum
2006-11-30, 08:55 PM
((who said I was destroying the ship? You think that I'm just a warmonger who feeds off of destruction. shame on you.))

AmberVael
2006-11-30, 08:56 PM
((You aren't? Thats news))

Wukei
2006-11-30, 09:04 PM
(See? Lots of people keeping up. I was almost tempted to hop in when El J was actually on his ship earlier...but I decided against it and left you two alone.)

Alarra
2006-11-30, 09:28 PM
(So was I)

Ceika
2006-11-30, 09:34 PM
((thanks for the support guys! I hope it's even half as entertaining for you guys as it is for me))

Aly walks back on board the ship, tired and sore, but in a far better mood than she's been in a while. Even the pain in her arm seems quite a bit less after some laughs, some rum and some food. For the first time since she came on board, she's actually somewhat smiling.

Thriss
2006-11-30, 09:37 PM
[Well, here goes.]
Thriss has, for the last while, been busy with splicing some ropes together. He's the only person on the deck at the moment, and is justifiably curious when someone else shows up. Hellos. The hello is directed at Aly.
[Thriss doesn't speak common too well. Let me know if it gets confusing]

Ceika
2006-11-30, 09:41 PM
Aly glances around her, and, finally spotting the insect thing addressing her. She nods at him.

'ello there.

Thriss
2006-11-30, 09:44 PM
Thriss stands up, dropping the rope. I think I sees you before. Is new hand? I is new not so long ago.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 09:50 PM
She looks him over. Since he doesn't seem too threatening, she nods again and heads over toward him.

Yea', I guess. Bro't onbo'rd a few days ago. Name's Aly. You?

Thriss
2006-11-30, 09:53 PM
I is Thriss. Thriss seems rather pleased that he knows his own name. Is sign up with crew. Go take other ship. Get paid.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 09:57 PM
She nods, smiling.

G'd ta meetcha, Thriss. Ye like's it 'ere s'far?

Thriss
2006-11-30, 10:00 PM
Is fine. Gets to practice skills other than fight sometimes. Splice ropes, fit rigging. What does you get to do?

Ceika
2006-11-30, 10:05 PM
She chuckles to herself at his question.

S'far, I gets ta muck th' bilge, clean th' gall'y, an chip th' shot.

Thriss
2006-11-30, 10:07 PM
Made I do that when get here first. Is not fun job. Needs done though, so I does it.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 10:10 PM
Aly nods.

Yea... tha's w'rk fer th' new 'ands, I guess. C'ld b' worse, I guess. C'ld b'bett'r, tho.

Thriss
2006-11-30, 10:13 PM
Be better once go get more ships. Get fight then, use practice. Thriss clicks his mandibles in a non-threatening manner. I is good at fight.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 10:18 PM
Aly grins, draws her pistols, flips them around stylishly and tucks them back away as quickly as she drew them.

Yea.. I ain' ha'f bad mes'lf. Bu' I thin' I bes' b'gett'n som' res...

She yawns, proving her point. She smiles a bit, remembering the Willfuls words earlier.

An a bath...

Thriss
2006-11-30, 10:23 PM
I go aloft now then. I doesn't sleep. Goodnights. Thriss turns and jumps up into the rigging, his initial leap easily taking him more than half-way up the maintopmast. He pushes off and flips onto the top of one of the smaller masts and stands there like a sentinel, somehow keeping his balance in that precarious position.

Ceika
2006-11-30, 10:31 PM
Aly nods and watches him jump, then she turns and heads back down the docks to bathe in the ocean water. She scrubs her clothes until they're clean, then focuses on herself. It's a bit difficult to swim with the sling on, but she manages without too much trouble. She even manages to undress and redress herself underwater. No small feat with a bum arm. Once she's cleaned up a bit, she heads back onto the ship to get some rest. It doesn't take too much to get comfortable enough to slip into slumber this time, and she's soon sleeping better than she has in a while.

__________________________________________________ ________

Aly wakes and stretches, momentarily forgetting about her bad arm. She winces, though the pain wasn't as bad as it has been before. She gets up and heads for the deck, nodding to some of the other Willfuls as she does. She heads down the plank and off toward the town.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 10:50 AM
((Reading the story of Aly and El J's crew is just shy of reading a good book. And the only reason I say shy is because if it was in a book and published, I'm certain it'd be the next kid craze like Harry Potter, selling out everywhere. The descriptions and detail invite the reader into a world of sea-faring and piracy. It's like getting glimpses of a masterpiece, or hearing Mozart as he practices a sympathy in the works. Nothing short of magnificent can describe it.))

Graklok comes wandering by the ships, a smile on his face, wearing his Eat @ Sneak's sandwhich sign. To an on-looker wanting to have some fun, it's almost too easy an invitation for causing trouble. Graklok bellows Bes' Resran' in da town. as he traverses by.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 10:52 AM
NPC #56781s9-0 sticks his leg out to try and trip Graklok.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:00 AM
Graklok falls over, flat on his face. He gets back up, shaking his head. Sorry, Graklok not see ya der. he says to NPC #56781s9-0, brushing the dust off of himself.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:03 AM
NPC #56781s9-0 glares at Graklok.

Why don't you watch where you're going you stupid ugly orc!

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:13 AM
Why you call Graklok ugly? Graklok say sorry. You not nice. Graklok replies, now with a frown forming on his face, and his temper starting to rise.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:14 AM
You stupid ugly freak! You're lucky I don't have my sword with me, or I'd cut you up, though I don't think you could get any uglier!

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:22 AM
You take dat back. Graklok not ugwee. Graklok says, now removing the sign from around him and getting into the face of NPC #56781s9-0

2006-12-01, 11:25 AM
The Pirate King appears on deck with his first mate.

"Call the hands back in. We unmoor tomorrow, then a few days puttering about the harbor before we sail early next week."

Janae gives a piratical smile. Aye, sir. Unmoor tomorrow morning it is. She begins barking orders to the few hands that are actually on duty, rousing them to prepare the ship as El J turns to the 3-foot high woman at his side.

"And you, miss Loreweaver. Go find my wife and, well...do whatever she tells you to do. She needs a research assistant and you're a natural for the job."

The faen stammers, clinging tightly to a battered journal. But...but don't you want a proper record of the unmooring of your proud and noble vessel? Think of the stories that could be told!

"Alilyn, we've done this hundreds of times, and will do hundreds more. There is, however, only one woman I love and you are going to go help her."

Fine, fine. Alilyn heads up into Town to find Alarra as the Pirate King heads back into his cabin.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:26 AM
No you big ugly waste of breath. NPC #56781s9-0 tries to push Graklok, but is nowhere near strong enough.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:30 AM
Graklok feels the push in his chest. GRAKLOK....NOT....UGWEE! His temper now raised, he attempts a push back.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:33 AM
NPC #56781s9-0 falls back, and gets up, drawing a hidden dagger. He cries out and thrusts the dagger at the orc.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:35 AM
Graklok sees the dagger, and attempts to step aside. The dagger hits Graklok, and makes a nice cut into his abdomen skin as Graklok moves. He attempts to grab the hand with the dagger.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:38 AM
Ow ow ow ow. He squirms.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:40 AM
Graklok attempts to grab the knife and chuck it into the sea. He then (attempts) to lift the NPC and throw him into a building.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:43 AM
The knife and NPC each fly their seperate ways. Bleeding pretty badly, the NPC gets up and tries to run.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:47 AM
((Is Graklok angry enough to kill, yep he's in a barbarian rage.....))
Graklok attempts to grab th NPC again, and this time lift him over his head and bring his body down across Graklok's knee. ((Backbreaker wrestling move...))

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:48 AM
There is a loud snap and the NPC cries out in pain.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 11:53 AM
Graklok drops the body, and (attempts to) start kicking it repeatedly until his anger subsides. (Npc will probably lose consciousness before Graklok stops.)

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 11:57 AM
After just a couple of kicks, the NPC lays unconcious, bleeding, and dying.

Graklok
2006-12-01, 12:01 PM
Graklok finally calms down. He looks at his feet, now covered in blood, and at the body lying there. Panic grips him, and he runs off in the direction of Trog's, tears forming in his eyes. He repeatedly says Graklok sorry, Graklok sorry...

((Thanks Kyrian! This will turn out to be...interesting.))

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 12:03 PM
((Not a problem!))

The NPC continues to lie bleeding and dying on the docks.

Tantolian
2006-12-01, 12:41 PM
As Jesthik approaches the docks, and the bleeding body, he looks around to see if anyone else has noticed a bleeding body lying out in the open.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 12:42 PM
((I'm not sure. Feel free to do whatever you'd like))

Ceika
2006-12-01, 01:17 PM
Aly heads down the docks toward the Liza Jane, but stops when she sees the dead body. She walks over to it for a closer look.

Dark Saiyans
2006-12-01, 01:17 PM
It's dead. Very dead.

Ceika
2006-12-01, 01:19 PM
With a furtive glance around, she checks for other people in the area. If nobody's around, she checks for anything of value on the body.

Kyrian
2006-12-01, 01:20 PM
Nothing's found. His only worthwile item was tossed out to sea by Graklok.

Ceika
2006-12-01, 01:21 PM
With half of a shrug, Aly gets up and continues on her way, heading aboard the ship and dissappearing below decks.

She goes to get acquainted with Willful Murder and its surrounding area, cleaning up the area a bit and helping out where she can.

Tantolian
2006-12-01, 01:41 PM
Noticing the ships in port, he approaches the "Liza Jane". In as loud of a voice as he can muster (which still isn't too loud, but still strangely carries quite a ways) he calls out: Any'on vail'bl on dis ship?

Kyrian
2006-12-01, 01:43 PM
The man continues to be dead, and considers yelling some obsenities, but Mike kindly reminds him he's dead, so he stays that way.

2006-12-01, 02:16 PM
A cheerful halfling steps up to the rail at Jesthik's call.

What can we do for you, friend?

Tantolian
2006-12-01, 02:22 PM
I's lookin fer a sail'r, an' pos'bly a ship ta sail on. Jesthik calls back. An' wit' de name on dis here ship, I's was fig'rin dis here ship mi' be a fitt'n fer both.

2006-12-01, 03:02 PM
Gaelon grins. That's quite possible, we do have rather a lot of sailors on this ship. Who're you looking for?

Tantolian
2006-12-01, 03:09 PM
Fer tha' part, I's got's'ta speak ta yur Capt'n. If'n tha's poss'bl. Jesthik pulls the hood of his cloak back a bit so his face is almost visible. It's ben while Gaelon. Capt'n Jaspero still hold'n 'is own?

2006-12-01, 03:39 PM
Jesthik...a while indeed. The captain is quite well; he's recently been named Pirate King, you know. He's in his cabin. Let me see if he's busy.

Gaelon steps away from the rail and returns after a few moments.

He'll see you, of course. Step on up.

((If you could PM me some things about who Jesthik is and how he'd know the Liza Jane that'd be good.))

Tantolian
2006-12-01, 03:50 PM
Jesthik walks up the plank and onto the ship. Lead on. He says, barely audibly.

2006-12-01, 04:01 PM
Gaelon heads back to the cabin and opens the door. Captain, your visitor.

The Pirate King's cabin is decorated with simple elegance; a cutlass or two hung on the walls, a banjo mounted over the window. Definitely most unusual is the double bed flanked by crowded bookshelves; a masterfully-crafted needlepoint of the Liza Jane under full sail hangs above it.

El Jaspero stands and extends his hand; the living rose in his lapel is bright crimson flecked with white. "Jesthik. Good to see you again."

Tantolian
2006-12-01, 04:27 PM
Jesthik crosses the room and shakes the offered hand. D' honor be mine, Capt'n. I's just wish'n tha things coulda ben difr'n't. S'pose you know wha happen'd out der, ... we wasn't mean'n ta... He falls silent, not being able to meet El Jaspero's eyes.

2006-12-01, 04:34 PM
((The Pirate King has but one eye. And Jesthik certainly knows why; he was there.))

El Jaspero shakes Jesthik's hand firmly, but looks at him carefully. "What happened out there?" He taps his eyepatch with a grin. "This? That was just business, and the price of a valuable lesson. Bad things happen to good people, and bad things happen to bad people too."

He waves to a chair and sits down. "Care for something to drink, Jesthik? And what can I do for you, anyway?"

Graklok
2006-12-01, 05:11 PM
NPC #56781s9-1 comes and grabs his brother NPC #56781s9-0 and carries him away.

2006-12-01, 07:09 PM
((I'm taking off for D&D night; let's just assume that El Jaspero and Jesthick spend a while catching up before the Pirate King heads home. We can P/IM about the details.))

Balthor
2006-12-02, 12:25 AM
(Runs up along side the ship)
Hey! Wheres the directions to the Llama feast?
(upon recieving no answer, runs back toward shore)

2006-12-02, 12:03 PM
All through the morning, clusters of sailors have been returning to the Liza Jane. Their grumbling about heading back to sea is clearly a mere ritual, dumbshow for the townsfolk watching them pass. It's obvious they're already counting their shares of the haul to come.

With a cry of All hands to unmoor ship! Dovis sets in motion the work that, after an hour, finds the Liza cruising about the Town's harbor. Janae is professional and efficient, putting the frigate through her paces as she tests the new hands.

((Any and all who are playing various Lizas, feel free to assume you either made it aboard or didn't; there will be boats ferrying people and supplies between ship and shore until further notice so it'll be quite easy to get aboard, albeit late. I would, however, appreciate either a post or a PM so I know who is and isn't aboard.))

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 12:22 PM
On the beach Gwen picks up Bolt (with a little help) and casts a spell, they fly out to the Liza Jane and lightly land on the deck.

2006-12-02, 12:35 PM
Jo-Ligh steps to Gwen's side, grinning massively. My dear Gwen, it's wonderful to see you again, and welcome once again to the Liza Jane. To what do we owe the pleasure of this visit?

Kyrian
2006-12-02, 12:35 PM
Bolt sniffs at Jo-Ligh

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 12:43 PM
Saw that you left dock and .. well, wondered where you were going?

2006-12-02, 12:52 PM
The giant reaches down to pet Bolt. Despite his massive size, his touch is amazingly gentle. Aye, Gwen, that's the question of the day. Most of the hands think we're out for a cruise against the northern kingdoms before it gets too icy. But nobody quite knows for sure, or if they do they're being awfully quiet about it.

He shrugs. For now, it's just a few days of cruising around the harbor to get a sense of the new hands. I imagine there'll be some target practices at some point...an exciting show, though it annoys the nature spirits if I forget to warn them beforehand.

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 12:54 PM
Do you mind if I come aboard again? I really enjoyed the last time.

2006-12-02, 12:58 PM
Jo-Ligh's laugh booms across the harbor and the startled hands turn to smile. My dear Gwen, you are of course always welcome aboard this ship, and I'm delighted to have the chance to spend more time talking about the wonders of nature and the Green with you. I believe your previous cabin is still free, will that suffice again?

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 01:00 PM
Gwen smiles Thanks Jo-Ligh, it'll just be Bolt with me this time. My previous cabin was just fine. Thank you.

2006-12-02, 01:25 PM
Jo-Ligh beams and looks around to grab any of Gwen's baggage. Finding none, he shrugs and escorts her belowdecks Come along, then! We'll get you settled back in, and once you're comfortable perhaps we'll have a chat with the harbor's spirits. They've grown quite tolerant of the comings and goings of ships, but flying cannonballs do still rather surprise them.

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 01:27 PM
Gwen just has her usual bag (which of course has everything she needs inside :-) ) She follows Jo-Ligh down to her cabin.

2006-12-02, 01:40 PM
Jo-Ligh holds open the familiar door. Here you are, my dear druid. I'll let you get settled, but I shall be up in the air if you'd like to join me later.

He smiles and heads back up on deck.

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 01:43 PM
Gwen enters and puts her stuff away. She decides to rest for a bit and lies down.

wxdruid
2006-12-02, 08:47 PM
Gwen comes back on deck and finds an out of the way spot to observe the stars. Bolt comes over and settles down next to her.

Tantolian
2006-12-03, 05:06 PM
Jesthik runs the riggers though a thorough check of the conditions of sails and lines as well as checking the proficiencies of all riggers aboard ship. Its been awhile, and he wants to know who he's got, as well as what they can all do.

He makes a complete listing of the status of sails and lines for Gaelon as a report.

wxdruid
2006-12-03, 05:18 PM
Gwen stands and stretches. She wildshapes into a hawk and flies upwards to enjoy the sun and wind.

Kyrian
2006-12-03, 05:46 PM
Bolt watches Gwen from the deck.

2006-12-04, 07:48 AM
((Just a quick post here to remind us what's happening on the Liza today. Anybody aboard the ship, please feel free to improvise whatever sort of activity you'd like.))

Janae Lamanderi stands on deck reading a piece of paper. The early-morning air ruffles her black hair and she gives a wry smile.

Captain won't be joining us today, Gaelon. Some sort of trouble last night, but we're to press on with the drills.

The halfling at her side grins. Excellent. I don't suppose now is too soon?

Janae returns his grin. No such thing as too soon.

With Gaelon's cry of All hands to battle stations! Make sail, lads, make full sail! the Liza Jane is set to life. Sailors swarm up from belowdecks and soon the frigate is underway, her day of drill and target practice started before dawn even strikes her topmasts.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 08:24 AM
Gwen lands on deck and changes back into herself.

For today she will practice her weather spells. :-)

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 08:52 AM
Bolt nudges Gwen's leg with his head.

Ceika
2006-12-04, 08:57 AM
Hearing the call, Aly is out of her hammock, into her boots and at the Willful Murder in a matter of seconds. Though she isn't as able-bodied as the other Willfuls, she soon gets into a rhythm with them and matches their pace. After all, battles require rhythm as well as precision. Within the hour, Aly is humming a sea shanty to keep the beat in her mind, though she doesn't really notice that she's doing it.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 09:14 AM
Gwen looks down, Yes Bolt? Are you hungry?

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 09:14 AM
Yes. Bolt purrs.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 09:15 AM
Gwen pulls out some breakfast for him and pets him.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 09:16 AM
Bolt purrs as he quickly eats the food.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 09:29 AM
Gwen smiles and pulls out a brush. She starts brushing him down.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 09:30 AM
Bolt purrs and leans into Gwen.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 09:40 AM
You're a silly cat, Bolt. Roll over and let me get your stomach.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 09:41 AM
Bolt does as he's told, with a smile. He rolls onto his back, laying on Gwen's feet.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 09:42 AM
Gwen smiles down at him and scratches under his chin while she keeps brushing with the other hand.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 09:46 AM
Bolt purrs and enjoys the brushing.

2006-12-04, 10:19 AM
Alright, alright, that's enough for now. Kate smiles as Willfiul's crew heave the swabbed and reloaded cannon back against the ship's side as the debris of Liza's final target floats past. The hands grin and flex tired muscles as the roar of her last broadside finishes echoing across the bay. Kate nods top Aly.

Fine work this morning, lass. Take yerself a rest, there'll be more to come before long. She smiles and heads off to the water barrel.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 10:21 AM
Gwen finishes brushing Bolt and leans against him to watch the waves.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 10:22 AM
Bolt licks Gwen's cheek.

Ceika
2006-12-04, 10:26 AM
Aly beams proudly at the compliment. She had managed to work as hard as they had for the length of the first drill, and that in itself was noteworthy. She may have been tired and a bit sore, but she had held her own.

Thank ya, ma'am. She smiles a bit. I'll be re'dy. She wipes some sweat from her brow and sits down, her back against an empty barrel, to rest.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 10:28 AM
She hugs him, I'm glad you're here Bolt. I really like the open water, but I love having you or Jesion here to keep me company.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 10:29 AM
I love being with you too. Bolt rubs his cheek against Gwen's, and purrs.

Tantolian
2006-12-04, 10:31 AM
Jesthik continues to run the riggers through the ropes for faster speeds at getting the sails out or stored as quickly as possible. Then spurring them on to greater speeds than before. On thin th' orda did teach, tha's how impor'nt it is fo' th' rigga's to be fas' as th orda's giv'n. He says during a rest to one of the riggers he used to work with.

Can' say as twas much els tho'. Jesthik is also running the riggers through to find out which ones work best with each other, and where everyone works best. Most seem to be in the spot best suited for them, and on the best crew, though a few are switched up for different positions or shifts.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 10:59 AM
Well Bolt, I'm going to go fly, you go and investigate the ship or lay somewhere and nap. Gwen stands and wildshapes into a hawk and takes off to soar in the wind.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 11:00 AM
Bolt lays down, watching Gwen.

Tantolian
2006-12-04, 11:05 AM
Watching the druid fly around, Jesthik hopes that it doesn't get caught in the lines or anything. He doesn't want his men damaging the bird/ druid to free up the lines.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 11:10 AM
Gwen flies higher than the rigging, she flies high enough that the ship looks like a tiny dot on the water.

Altharis
2006-12-04, 03:17 PM
A friendly were-walrus swims up to the side.

"Ahoy! Is there a Were-party being held here?"

2006-12-04, 05:55 PM
'vast firing there! 'vast firing!

Janae leans over the rail with a mixture of concern and annoyance on her face as she addresses the walrus. Her gunnery practice is disturbed...but at least the critter survived.

No, there's no were-party here, this is a sloop of war. Party's up in Town. She turns from the rail and barks the orders that will the Liza back underway.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 06:05 PM
Gwen lands lightly on deck and turns back into herself. She goes over to Bolt and pulls out some dinner for him.

Kyrian
2006-12-04, 06:11 PM
Bolt purrs as he digs into the food

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 06:52 PM
Gwen munches on some snacks as she watches the crew and the waves.

2006-12-04, 08:17 PM
The guns are at last housed, and the crew is allowed to go below for their dinner. Janae calls the officers to a hushed conference on the quarterdeck after ordering the Liza anchored for the night.

wxdruid
2006-12-04, 09:48 PM
Gwen and Bolt go down to their cabin for the night.

2006-12-05, 11:02 AM
Ahoy there you swabs, step lively now!

Though the ship is anchored, it will be anything but a day of rest for her crew. Boats begin flowing out from the docks to the Liza Jane, carrying a vast amount of supplies and mutitions to be stored in her holds of holding. The sailors get to work quickly enough, but curious rumors bubble beneath the surface; clearly the captain has more than a quick cruise in mind.

Thriss
2006-12-05, 07:46 PM
Thriss, of course, is helping with the filling of holds. Having four arms is handy for this sort of work. He tries to strike up a conversation with a nearby crewman. So, what does you think all this supplies is for?

2006-12-05, 08:12 PM
Hyar, me buggy friend. That be's a good question. Flint over here,

Hyar.

He says we'm bound for the south seas, t'cruise the warm waters o'er the winter season. I says the cap'n's got a babe on the way, bless his heart, an' his missus ain't 'bout to let him go that far fer so long, so I thinks he mus' be plannin' ta support a army o' some kind wit' all these here stores.

Hyar.

What's yer thought, Thriss?

Thriss
2006-12-05, 08:16 PM
Thriss thinks for a couple seconds. When I works on cargo ships, always took more stores for longer trips. I thinks a long trip coming soon, maybe be gone for while. Would need this many stores just for crew if gone long enough, isn't I right? Thriss puts down the crates he's carrying next to several similar crates.

2006-12-05, 08:21 PM
Aye, could be that.

Hyar.

Guess we can only wait an' see, eh?

The sailors resume their work, slowly filling the ship's holds of holding with crates, barrels, and sacks of an innumerable variety of things.

Thriss
2006-12-05, 08:24 PM
Yes, just has to wait. Thriss jumps down to one of the boats and then back up with four sacks. He hasn't been using the ladders all day.

Tantolian
2006-12-05, 10:09 PM
Jesthik has been working hard along side everyone else, making sure that his riggers do their share as well. He has also been listening to all the rumors of the crew.

When the call is made for the officers, Jesthik walks over to Janae to determine if he is among those needed. After finding that he is not, he heads back into the riggings to make sure all lines and sails are well.

2006-12-05, 10:30 PM
The cargo is at last stowed, and the Liza returns to her peaceful evening routine. As the riggers descend to their well-earned rest, a slight figure appears beside Jesthik, perched in the ratlines.

Jesthik, says Janae. Never thought we'd see you again. It's good to have you back aboard, even if our roles have reversed.

Thriss
2006-12-05, 10:33 PM
((Hey El J, Thriss is currently just a deckhand. Any chance of a promotion for him after this plot? I'd understand if there wasn't, but it would be cool if there was.))

Ceika
2006-12-05, 10:42 PM
Aly works alongside the guncrews through the day, sticking close to her new comrades, resting only when ordered to, even when the pain in her arm is almost more than she can take.

Tantolian
2006-12-05, 11:13 PM
As Jesthik notices Janae take up a place near him in the ratlines, he nods to and salutes her showing proper respect to an officer.

I's imag'n so. Fer a time der, I's wah tinkin I's wah no gona ge back wit de Liza eitha. I's real proud o' ye fer getin firs' mate tho. I's wah rilly miss'n bein hea wit dis crew. He says as he looks to meet eye contact with Janae.

Seem's ya did good wit it all tho.

2006-12-05, 11:20 PM
((We'll see what crops up, Thriss.))

Janae smiles in the darkness and produces a bottle of elvish rum. She takes a swig, then hands it to Jesthik. Thanks. That means a lot, coming from you. You taught me easily half what I know...I wish we had a better posting to offer you, but we've almost too many officers as it is. You're not getting too bored up here?

Tantolian
2006-12-05, 11:44 PM
Jesthik smiles slightly, takes the proffered bottle. I's doubt I taught ya tha much, but thanks for th' compl'men. I's not ask'n fer mo' tha this, an I's fig'ya I's gots'ta earn anythin mor'. Side's, I's gots'ta get use'ta th' Liza an crew gain. He takes a small swig.

Side's, Dis hea is a prime spot ta keep track o' rumors, an keep de offica's like ye appris'd oh wa's goin on. Not a bit o' bor'd'm hea. Preciate ya askin tho. Jesthik takes another small swig before passing the bottle back to Janae.

Thriss
2006-12-05, 11:49 PM
((Cool. I will be sure to have Thriss provide all the help he can))

2006-12-05, 11:52 PM
Janae takes another drink and smiles. All flattery aside, it's good to have a sailor like you aboard, keeping an eye on things. People, too.

She tucks the bottle back into her belt and reaches out to grab a backstay. Goodnight, Jesthik. She steps off the ratline and slips away into the darkness.

2006-12-06, 12:23 PM
The captain ahoy!

Ahoy, the boat.

The Pirate King's launch pulls up to the Liza Jane's side and he helps Alarra step aboard, then follows with a smile. "Janae, weigh anchor and set sail if you please."

Weigh and sail it is, sir. She begins barking orders to get the frigate underway as the captain and Alarra head below.

Willfuls, the capstan ahoy! As is their time-honored right, Willful Murder's crew are first to the capstan. Kate gives Aly a sympathetic look as she starts heaving the the oaken bar before her. You're not pushing much, not with that bad arm. She nods to the top of the capstan. Spring up and sing us a song to lighten the work, hey?

Ceika
2006-12-06, 12:37 PM
Aly falls into position with the other Willfuls, doing the best she can to push the bar along. Hearing Kate's words her shoulders sag a bit.

I c'n do th' w'rk...

She tries to push harder, but the strain is too much. She tries not to let the pain show as she reconsiders the offer and nods with a bit of a sigh.

But if'n it'll h'lp...

Aly climbs on top of the capstan and clears her throat, then starts in on a shanty to keep the beat.

Heave a pawl, oh, heave away,
Way, hey, roll an' go!
The anchor's on board an' the cable's all stored,
Timme rollickin' randy dandy O!

Now we are ready to head for the Horn,
Way, hey, roll an' go!
Our boots an' our clothes boys are all in the pawn,
Timme rollickin' randy dandy O...

2006-12-06, 01:08 PM
Kate smiles as the sailor's hearts are strangely lightened by Aly's song. Aye, that's a girl, that's a girl. Clap on and heave to, lads, heave to! Before long the anchor is weighed and catted. Jo_Ligh raises a hand and the Liza's snowy sails fill with a strong but gentle breeze, and the frigate is soon underway.

wxdruid
2006-12-06, 02:32 PM
Gwen comes out on deck to watch the waves, she'll help out where needed.

Kyrian
2006-12-06, 02:33 PM
Bolt sneaks up behind Gwen, and nips at her feet.

wxdruid
2006-12-06, 02:35 PM
Gwen laughs and hugs Bolt, you silly cat.

Kyrian
2006-12-06, 02:39 PM
Bolt wraps a paw around Gwen as she hugs him.

wxdruid
2006-12-06, 02:58 PM
Gwen tugs him over til he's covering/warming her lap. She scratches behind his ears as she watches the crew and the waves.

Kyrian
2006-12-06, 02:58 PM
Bolt purrs.

Tantolian
2006-12-06, 05:23 PM
Jesthik works the riggings as needed while making sure that all his riggers are doing their jobs proper and not doing anything they shouldn't.

C'mon lad'ies, th' mor' wind we catches means less strayn on de ud'r's, less ya wants ta be doin they's job too!! He shouts. While not truly loud at all, it still strangely carries to every rigger in the lines.

2006-12-06, 05:49 PM
Under Jesthik's masterful guidance, the Liza tears along at a terrific pace. After only a few hours she is already far from Town and well into the shipping lanes. El Jaspero comes on deck with a grin, speaks a few words to Gaelon, and heads back into his cabin.

Ceika
2006-12-06, 07:25 PM
Aly busied herself with small grunt jobs around the ship, keeping to herself as much as possible when other Willfuls weren't around. She worked quietly, slipping, largly unnoticed, around the ship doing what she could to help out.

wxdruid
2006-12-06, 08:37 PM
Gwen and Bolt retire to their cabin for the evening.

Thriss
2006-12-06, 10:27 PM
Thriss takes the night watch. He doesn't sleep anyways, so he might as well have something to do. He stands atop the maintopmast, easily keeping his balance far above the deck.

2006-12-06, 10:52 PM
The night is calm, but the Liza continues to speed along at a remarkable pace even in the darkness. Clearly she has somewhere to be, and fast.

Thriss
2006-12-06, 10:54 PM
I wonders where we is going... Thriss stares out into the darkness ahead.

Ceika
2006-12-06, 11:05 PM
Though the ship cuts through the water swiftly an smoothly, Aly has some difficulty getting any sleep. It's as though the open water haunts her. She slips into and out of a light sleep, twitching restlessly for several hours before her mind allows her any repose.

Tantolian
2006-12-06, 11:17 PM
Standing near Thriss, Jesthik nods. I's spect wea' eva th Capt'n d'cide's ta take us. We's crew, we don' d'cide tha or quest'n th Capt'n fer ani reas'n.

Jesthik then looks about the riggings for a good place to rest for a bit of the night.

2006-12-06, 11:30 PM
A figure emerges from the shadows, watching Aly turn in her hammock with a pained look on his face. After a few moments the captain leaves the gundeck and heads back up to his cabin. His face eases into a soft smile as he enters and crosses to Alarra, kissing the back of her neck. He gently takes the comb from her hand and begins carefully brushing out her hair while telling her about the ship's day.

2006-12-07, 07:11 AM
Dawn finds the Liza Jane far at sea and her captain already in the maintops with a grin on his face. Before them, making their lazy way south, lies a clustered convoy of four merchantships guarded by a 12-gun sloop, all flying the flag of the Northern Kingdoms. The last little bit of the King's treasure fleet. All legal, and all mine. He drops to the deck and rouses his officers to begin the chase.

All hands to battle stations! roars Dovis, and the frigate is soon teeming with sailors. The sails fill, El Jaspero's flag is hoisted, and the chase is underway.

((If I post anything further, it'll be sporadically and from work. Folks on the Liza Jane can add whatever they want, but this is going to be a pretty minor action, just for some flavor.))

Ceika
2006-12-07, 07:47 AM
Below decks, Aly leaps from her hammock to take up her post, along with her fellow gunners. They go over the gun and area again, ensuring that they are, indeed, ready for the upcomming battle. With that done, the gunners huddle low and quiet, waiting for the captain's orders.

wxdruid
2006-12-07, 08:22 AM
Gwen comes out on deck, ready. She finds an out of the way spot to wait.

Kyrian
2006-12-07, 09:58 AM
Bolt pads out to Gwen, and sits by her side.

2006-12-07, 10:32 AM
Hopelessly outgunned and terrified of facing the Dread Pirate King himself, the convoy scatters. Two merchantmen break off to the northwest, another heads due west, and the sloop and the last merchantman turn due south. El Jaspero orders the Liza to chase the richest prize, the pair of boats fleeing together but turns to Tessa as she begins to turn. "Portside battery to fire at will on the target to the west. A lucky shot might disable her."

Tessa grins fiendishly and charges down the portside battery. You heard the man! Fire as they bear, and make 'em count. 10 crowns to the crew that knocks a spar knocked loose, 100 for mast.

Kate bends to give Willful Murder a gentle pat. Come on, now lad. Make us proud. The Liza sweeps past; portside 1 and 2 fire almost as one, knocking few stays loose and a putting a hole in her mainsail, but nothing crippling. Time to show 'em how it's done, Willfuls. Kate touches off her beloved gun with a smile.

((And I will now depart, leaving it to Ceika to determine the effect of Kate's gunnery.))

Ceika
2006-12-07, 01:46 PM
Willful Murder thundered in response, straining against its chains as the shot exploded from the cannon. The Willfuls peered through the porthole as the shot splintered through the top railing, only a few feet above the deck. Another crack, akin to thunder, shook the fleeing ship as the cannonball hit its mark.

Kate smiled smugly and gave the cannon a reassuring pat. That oughta do it. Some of the others smirked and chuckled to themselves, but Aly watched intently, not seeing the damage until she heard an agonizing groan from the other ship. Slowly, the foremast tilted sideways, crippled by the Willful Murder's bite. The weight of the mast was too much for the ropes to bear, and they began to snap under the strain. Aly smiled cruely to see the ship's perdicament as it began to flounder in the water.

A lucky shot! A gunner off of the Death's Door jested, but Kate still smiled.

Luck? Luck's got nothing to do with it. Kate winked as the other Willfuls got the cannon ready for its next target.

2006-12-07, 02:10 PM
The captain smiles and waves to his counterpart on the unlucky Bountiful Grace as his hands struggle with the catastrophe of rigging on his deck. "Don't fret," he hollers across the water. "I'll be back for you shortly!"

Graceful as a striking hawk, Liza swiftly overtakes her prey to the northwest and the ships surrender without a struggle. After putting boarding crews aboard each, El Jaspero swings his frigate back around to snap up Bountiful Grace and start putting her back together.

((Lizas: feel free to join one of the boarding parties. Jesthik, you're definitely going to be busy getting Grace underway again.))