PDA

View Full Version : A query: Removing XP costs from psionics

Serenity
2010-11-21, 08:59 PM
As much as possible, when I DM I attempt to remove XP costs. I've never been fond of the idea of XP as a spendable resource, and removing it has the added benefit of not having to keep track of XP at all--I can save myself calculations and just tell the PCs when they level up as is appropriate to the story.

Now with magic and magic item crafting, the easy way to accomplish this removal is to stick the spell or item in question with a substantial material component, as Pathfinder does.

Now, I happen to be working on and off on a Psionics-heavy campaign setting. This method of balancing costs works fine for crafting psionic items...but it's much less elegant a solution for psionic powers, which normally have no components, being drawn entirely from the manifester's will.

Any suggestions, then, on alternate costs for powers like Reality Revision?

Korias
2010-11-21, 09:06 PM
Maybe temporary ability score drain? That would give an impact for the higher-level powers, while still giving the player the ability to recoup those losses over time.

Havvy
2010-11-21, 09:11 PM
If you believe it is too powerful without experience costs, it is generally too powerful for a character to have at that level. Either increase the level they get the ability at to something you feel would be balanced or remove the ability altogether.

Of course, the same can be said for all class ability components on a level system, whether it has an experience cost or not.

While you are at this though, you should probably remove permanent negative levels.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-21, 09:16 PM
Maybe temporary ability score drain? That would give an impact for the higher-level powers, while still giving the player the ability to recoup those losses over time.
Drain can be recovered with more psionics. Make it ability burn perhaps.

Serenity
2010-11-21, 10:06 PM
Ability burn could definitely work for at least some of them. The question remains, just how much burn to implement as a cost. Any thoughts?

brujon
2010-11-21, 11:34 PM
Well, i have an idea. It's something i used once, and i guess it's good fluff. XP drain is supposed to be like, the magic took a heavy toll in the character. So, depending on the story, temporary level loss could work, or story-wise, maybe he's in a coma, or exhausted. It all depends on the circumstances, and adapting it on the run depending on what the ability is used for, i think it's best.

PersonofJid
2010-11-22, 02:13 AM
Drain can be recovered with more psionics. Make it ability burn perhaps.

Ability Burn can be recovered just by sleeping for a few days. In my opinion, if you're going to give the power a cost that's going to be equivalent to XP loss, then it should be just as difficult to get back. In order to regain XP you have to do something to get it back, i.e. adventuring.

Maybe take the power points used in the power, including any augmentations (if the power has any), and make the cost a permanent one until they level up?

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-11-22, 02:22 AM
According to the spell pricing guide, NPCs charge 5 GP for 1 XP. This is further supported by the RPGA, which made crafters pay 70% of magic item costs (the math works out exactly.)

So, the solution is simple. Let psions use expensive gems as material components.

Golden-Esque
2010-11-22, 10:29 AM
According to the spell pricing guide, NPCs charge 5 GP for 1 XP. This is further supported by the RPGA, which made crafters pay 70% of magic item costs (the math works out exactly.)

So, the solution is simple. Let psions use expensive gems as material components.

Crystals, my dear man. Psionics is all about who has the most crystals.