PDA

View Full Version : By Thor's Goats!

zyborg
2010-11-21, 11:50 PM
I have some D&D 3.5/4e questions...

1) Can bones be broken? Does it happen often?

2) Is there any way to create an animal companion, that, if killed, is automatically resurrected overnight/ after a 'sleep cycle'?

TheMeMan
2010-11-21, 11:52 PM

2) Is there any way to create an animal companion, that, if killed, is automatically resurrected overnight/ after a 'sleep cycle'?

1)If I recall(I could be wrong) there might be some rules for it in Unearthed Arcana as a variant damage system. Normally, no.

2)DM fiat. Fixes the problem.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-21, 11:54 PM
That title wasn't at all misleading.:smallannoyed:

RebelRogue
2010-11-21, 11:56 PM
2: In 4e, the ritual to bring back a Beastmaster Ranger's companion is so cheap, that this is practically how it works by default at all but the lowest of levels. It does take 4 hours, which may or may not be an issue.

If you a little about norse mythology it does make slightly more sense.

zyborg
2010-11-22, 12:04 AM
2: In 4e, the ritual to bring back a Beastmaster Ranger's companion is so cheap, that this is practically how it works by default at all but the lowest of levels. It does take 4 hours, which may or may not be an issue.

If you a little about norse mythology it does make slightly more sense.

Hey, you got it! Cool.

Anyways, thanks. So, the broken bone thing isn't an issue, butt.. can you eat your animal companions?

Tiki Snakes
2010-11-22, 12:10 AM
Hey, you got it! Cool.

Anyways, thanks. So, the broken bone thing isn't an issue, butt.. can you eat your animal companions?

Sure.
Of course, if your DM dislikes this, the ressurected Animal Companion may 'object', or some other kind of trouble may crop up as the DM tries to disuade such behaviour. There's nothing stopping you though, in the rules.

I'd probably throw in some lulzy guilt-tripping, myself. It'd never act quite the same afterwards. All puppy-dog-eyes, compulsive shivers and flinching when you go near. :smallwink:

RebelRogue
2010-11-22, 12:11 AM
There's no mechanical rule that forbids it, AFAIK. 'Normally', it would probably be a weird thing to do for a ranger, but here, I don't see why not :smallcool:

Tvtyrant
2010-11-22, 12:19 AM
There is actually a set of goat figurines that summon attack goats that resurrect a day after they die. Don't remember the name but I wanted a chariot pulled by them :D

blackjack217
2010-11-22, 12:43 AM
figurine of wondrous power. Like a certain 600 pound panther.

AslanCross
2010-11-22, 05:57 AM
I'd rule it as Con damage, only applying to creatures with a skeleton.

No RAW as far as I can tell, though the fluff of some Stone Dragon ToB maneuvers seem to hint at breaking the target's skeletal structure.

DarkEternal
2010-11-22, 08:08 AM
There is actually a set of goat figurines that summon attack goats that resurrect a day after they die. Don't remember the name but I wanted a chariot pulled by them :D

Figurine of Wondrous Power, Ivory Goats, I think.

Our cleric contemplated buying that for the amusement factor alone. They are not half bad, too. The most powerful of the goats can attack with it's horns that are treated as +5 weapons or something.

zyborg
2010-11-22, 08:43 AM
So... this seems like the second and third things work. So I could make something similar to Tanngrisnir and Tanngnjóstr? Would I actually need some form of artifact to revive them?

Selrahc
2010-11-22, 09:18 AM

I'm not sure what expectations you have coming into a topic about Thor's goats. This question is clearly about how to set up a thing in game to fit the mythology.

Did you think this was going to be a general topic about divine livestock? :smallconfused:

grimbold
2010-11-22, 11:14 AM
1. i always interpreted damage to imply that bones got broken.
2. maybe a VAMPIRE CAT!
also the title was very misleading

zyborg
2010-11-22, 11:40 AM
Divine... livestock. Holy cow, that's an inter- *shot*

LibraryOgre
2010-11-23, 12:33 PM

RAW for 3e, I don't think there's a specific mechanic. If you can track down a copy of 2e's Combat and Tactics, their criticals system included some rules for broken bones, which might illuminate things for you.

I'd be tempted to just say "slap regeneration on the sucker" or some similar effect. Since it's overnight, rather than in-combat, call it a "Druid level -4" companion (better than a standard ram/goat companion, but not too great) and let it go.

Tvtyrant
2010-11-23, 01:00 PM
Did you think this was going to be a general topic about divine livestock? :smallconfused:

the thing to remember about divine livestock is that they all have smite evil, so you need to keep them away from fiendish livestock or they will kill each other.

RebelRogue
2010-11-23, 04:30 PM
I am sort of shamed to admit, that I have in fact once used Gargantuan, fiendish cows in a game :smallredface: