PDA

View Full Version : Undead Templates

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-22, 01:16 AM
When using the spell Create Undead and its counterparts, the average creature tends to have lower scores than the original creature; this basically says that you should just be using leadership to get followers with class levels. What I have been trying to find is some source of templates that can be applied to a base creature when turning something into an undead.

It just seems to me that at level 11 I would rather have a 9th level Wizard or Cleric cohort than a few Ghouls that can attempt to take class levels, starting at 1.

I would also welcome any input that would help me make my undead better without resorting to the defult answer of "just build an army." For flavor reasons, and to remain inconspicuous, I would rather a few powerful undead that can be hidden/disguised rather than my own personal zombie apocalypse.

Thank you.

Coidzor
2010-11-22, 02:07 AM
Bargain with the DM for some way to pay money to get the evolved undead template onto your undead.

Animate Dread warrior's Dread warrior and Swordwraith are both no/fairly low LA templates that make something undead. Swordwraiths are normally free-willed though and Animate Dread Warrior costs XP to cast (making getting it as an SLA, say, via spell-stitching. Dread warriors are pretty thick though, as they're supposed to partially fill the niche of strong but easily confused and stupid undead lackeys. There's no limit on the number of them you can have though... but you might consider limiting them to the number of handlers you can get via followers/cohort.

So, if you get something like a high-level fighter or giant with class levels... those would make good dread warrior minions due to being primarily point and shoot weapons. Wisdom-based casters might be capable of still being used, but wrangling them requires all the fun of managing another caster with the fun of having to word things in 6 words or less to get what you want with no chance of mishap barring the DM's caprice.

The Corpsecrafter line of feats/Dread Necromancer 8 augment one's undead that are created, as does desecrating the area you animate in and having an altar to an evil deity.

Have you read over this handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=5584.0)?

Necropolitan template allows 3rd level+ undead with some XP loss in exchange for no LA. Level 1/2 characters can't undergo the process successfully though.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-22, 08:28 AM
Dying subject+Bestow Curse+Create Undead = Lost Empires of Faerun, page 165: Curst. They lose 4 Int, 6 Wis, and 2 Charisma... but gain the ability to come back from anything short of utter destruction... or a Remove Curse spell.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-22, 09:35 AM
Undead Cohort feat with lots of Necropolitan followers would be cool.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-22, 10:29 AM
Undead Cohort feat with lots of Necropolitan followers would be cool.

I considered this idea and while I do like it, I figued a Ghoul/Ghast would be cool too. If there are templates for those creatures I could easily apply them on my followers. Thanks.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-22, 01:02 PM
Isn't there a grave-touched ghoul template in a book, I think it's a +2 LA or something, you could consider that.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-22, 03:00 PM
Isn't there a grave-touched ghoul template in a book, I think it's a +2 LA or something, you could consider that.

I found it, Libris Mortis pg103. This is exatly what I needed; it can be useful no matter what level I am since the base creatures scale.

Thanks.

randomhero00
2010-11-22, 03:04 PM
Just remember that if you're creating vamps or ghouls or whatever that they have to have a feeding stock...they get hungry. Can be quite annoying in some campaigns.

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-22, 03:26 PM
Just remember that if you're creating vamps or ghouls or whatever that they have to have a feeding stock...they get hungry. Can be quite annoying in some campaigns.

The thing about being an adventurer that, in between struggling to develop as a character, is forced to wade through a swath of fallen enemies and broken corpses every other day means that I'm pretty well supplied in terms of Ghoul Snax. Plus, having the Merciless flaw means that I'm fine with letting my minions chow down. But yes, it may be hard to deal with if we're in a heavy RP part of the campaign. Does the flesh/blood need to be fresh?

mikau013
2010-11-22, 05:47 PM

That is what party members are for :smallcool:

Corwin_of_Amber
2010-11-22, 06:40 PM
That is what party members are for :smallcool:

I already tried to turn our CG Sorcerer into a Necropolitan. My DM might not appreciate that too much.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-23, 02:39 AM
I already tried to turn our CG Sorcerer into a Necropolitan. My DM might not appreciate that too much.

:smallbiggrin: In our current campaign, the cleric has a Dread Necro back-up, I'm helping him design it so that it is so good at creating undead, he can go and get a job as official Necropolitan creator in the city of Nocturnus itself :smallbiggrin: Our DM won't appreciate it, either, methinks...