PDA

View Full Version : [4th ed] Legend of Zelda Kokiri: 'cuz I'm that much of a nerd. (PEACH)

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-22, 03:55 PM
As posted in the Zelda DnD 4.0 thread.

I could also use some suggestions on racial feats to give these guys.

Kokiri
Tiny but ancient children of the forest.

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 3'4" - 4'9”
Average Weight: 55 – 70
Ability scores: +2 Wisdom, +2 Charisma or +2 Dexterity
Size: Small
Speed: 6 squares.
Vision: Low-Light
Languages: Common, Elven, Hylian (if used in your game)
Skill Bonuses: +2 Nature, +2 Stealth.

Children of the Forest: While shifting, you ignore difficult terrain, as long as that terrain is caused by trees, underbrush, or other plants.

Fey Origin: You are considered a fey creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.

Faerie Companion: You are accompanied by a Faerie Companion, a tiny glowing faerie with gossamer wings, who helps you on your quests. This grants you the Arcane Familiar feat for free, regardless of class prerequisites. Your Faerie Companion uses these mechanics:

Deku Faerie Familiar

A tiny globe of light glows beside you. Deep within, you can barely make out a beautiful humanoid shape with gossamer wings. “Hey!” She calls to you. “Listen!”

Senses: low-light vision
Speed: fly 6 (hover)

Constant Benefits
You gain a +2 bonus to Monster Knowledge checks. In addition, you may attempt to make Monster Knowledge checks untrained.
You can read & speak Hylian, if this language is used in your game.
The Deku Fairy radiates dim light in a radius of 2 squares, which can be hidden or revealed as a free action while the Fairy is in your space.

Active Benefits
Fairy Speech: A Deku Fairy can speak any language you know, and it can converse with other creatures. When it speaks, you hear everything it says and hear everything spoken to it. You can dictate its answers if you so choose.

You may take other Familiar feats to improve your Fairy Companion, even if you do not meet arcane class prerequisites

Faerie Guidance: You have the Faerie Guidance power.

Faerie Guidance Kokiri Racial Power

Your fairy companion hovers by the enemy, pointing out weaknesses in its defenses.
Encounter
Minor Action Close Burst 1
Requirement: Your Faerie Companion must be in active mode, and the origin square of the burst is the Faerie Companion’s square.
Target: One enemy within the burst
Effect: You and all allies gain a +2 power bonus to attack the enemy until the end of your next turn. Also, your next attack against the enemy before the end of your next turn deals an extra +1d6 damage.
11th: +2d6 damage.
21st: +3d6 damage.

Play a Kokiri if you want...

* to be shy and retiring with those you don’t know, but childlike and friendly with those you do.
* to travel with a Faerie companion that can aid the attacks of you and your allies.
* to be a member of a race that favors the bard, monk, ranger, and cleric classes.

PHYSICAL QUALITIES

Kokiri have the appearance of small children of human, half-elven, elven, or Hylian stock. Their skin ranges in color from very pale to darkly tanned, with some Kokiri showing a greenish tint to their skin. Their hair is most often straight, and may be blonde, light brown, red, or even green. Much like Hylians or members of the Elven races, Kokiri have long, pointed ears. Their eyes can be green, blue or brown, with some Kokiri having eyes so dark they appear black. Kokiri can’t grow facial hair and have little body hair.

Kokiri do not reproduce as other races do, instead appearing as babies in hollows at the base of the village’s sacred tree. Young Kokiri reach full physical maturity by twelve years of age. Kokiri who have reached full physical maturity do not age, and can live for centuries or even millenia unless killed. Kokiri do not die of old age, instead fading back into the forests from which they came.

PLAYING A KOKIRI

Kokiri gather in villages throughout the Feywild and the natural world. These villages most often appear in remote, unspoiled forests where the shy Kokiri can remain untroubled by intruders. Many Kokiri spend their whole lives within the forests without meeting members of another race.

Each Kokiri village is based around one of a number of Primal spirits called Deku Trees, powerful beings of sylvan protection who appear in the form of massive trees bearing humanlike faces. These Deku Trees, in turn, are servants or avatars of the Great Deku Tree, a powerful spirit who is seen as the creator and patron of the Kokiri race. The Deku Trees serve as rulers, advisors, and guides to the childlike Kokiri in times of crisis. On most matters, the Kokiri tend to themselves, often governing themselves with a small council or a single “boss.”

The Kokiri hold the Gods in great esteem, though they often offer worship to the Great Deku Tree as well. In the standard Points of Light setting, they tend to honor Avandra, Pelor, Corellon, and Melora. Sehanine and Kord are also occasionally worshiped, though their adherents are sometimes considered odd. Kokiri of a darker bent might revere Vecna, keeping their forest homes secret through unsavory means. In the Legend of Zelda setting, Kokiri most often worship Nayru, though Din and Farore are by no means neglected in their worship.

Items of Kokiri craftsmanship are rarely made of metal; instead, the Kokiri prefer to work with natural materials such as wood, leather, wool, and plant fibers in order to create their goods. These items sometimes seem to be roughly made, but there is always a simple, rustic beauty, even to the roughest work.

Kokiri are, as a whole, a shy and secretive race. Few of them leave their forest villages, and many believe that doing so will cause them to fade away before their time. Many Kokiri are frightened and distrustful of the world outside their village, and even Kokiri from other villages are sometimes shunned or ostracized for the differences between them. Members of other races rarely find Kokiri villages, and those who do are usually driven away by the use of clever tricks. Despite these tendencies, Kokiri are essentially kind-hearted, and it’s not unheard of for a village to take pity on a wounded traveler, leaving food where he can find it and salving his wounds while he sleeps.

Kokiri Characteristics: Headstrong, nervous, clever, childlike, kind-hearted, contemplative

Male Names: Mido, Fado, Solmi, Tido, Rēmi, Domi, Fasol, Misol, Laso
Female Names: Tila, Doti, Sola, Mifa, Lati, Doti, Fami, Mirē, Dorē, Dofa

Racial Feats:

Expert Guidance:
The extra damage dice granted by your Guiding Faerie power are d8s, instead of d6s

Chosen of the Forest:
You gain the Terrain Walk ability regarding any form of terrain noted with your Children of the Forest racial ability (usually only Forest). In addition, when in difficult terrain caused by trees, underbrush, or other plants you may make a Stealth check to become hidden with only cover or concealment, rather than supreme cover or total concealment

Eyes of the Forest:
You may ignore cover or concealment granted by any terrain noted in your Children of the Forest racial ability (usually only Forest). You my treat superior cover granted by this terrain as standard cover, and total concealment granted by this terrain as normal concealment.

Distracting Faerie:
Prerequisites: Kokiri, Rogue, Sneak attack class feature, Faerie Guidance racial power.
Rather than granting a power bonus to hit, your Faerie Guidance power causes the target enemy to grant combat advantage. In addition, you may deal the extra damage granted by your Sneak Attack class ability to the target of your Faerie Guidance, even if you have already used it this round.

Imposing Faerie:
Prerequisites: Kokiri, Faerie Guidance racial power.
Whenever you use your Faerie Guidance power, the enemy is also considered marked until the end of your next turn.

Kokiri Weapon Training
You gain proficiency with all Simple and Military light blades, spears, and slings. In addition, increase both the normal and long range of any sling you wield by 5.

Blessed Faerie
Prerequisites: Kokiri, Faerie Guidance racial power, any Divine class
The first time an ally misses with an attack against the subject of your Faerie Guidance power while it is still active, that ally regains hitpoints equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Faerie Hunter
Prerequisites: Kokiri, Ranger, Faerie Guidance racial power, Hunter's Quarry class feature
If the subject of your Faerie Guidance power has also been designated as your Hunter's Quarry, you gain concealment versus that enemy until the end of your next turn. In addition, you may count the distance between your Faerie Companion or yourself, whichever is more favorable, for the purposes of your Hunter's Quarry and the Prime Shot class feature.

Sipex
2010-11-22, 04:09 PM
I like it.

Being able to shift through difficult terrain and such (from the start) makes the race a bit more powerful than normal though. Most races get 2 benefits along this line while the Kokiri has 3 (Shifting, Free Familiar and Faerie Guidance)

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-22, 04:31 PM
Most races get 3 or 4 bonuses.

Tieflings get fire resistance, a bonus to attacking bloodied enemies, and the Infernal Wrath power.
Dragonborn get a boost to their Healing Surge value, a bonus to attack when bloodied, and either the Dragon's Breath or Dragonfear power.
Eladrin get the ability to Trance rather than sleep, a bonus to Will defense, extra skill training, longsword proficiency, *and* the Fae Step power.

megabyter5
2010-11-22, 04:49 PM
I'm not a 4E player, but I love the idea of using the fairies to distract someone else for a change. :smallsmile:

Sipex
2010-11-23, 10:37 AM
Oh shoot, really? Damn, I forgot about that stuff.

Well then, looks good.

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-23, 11:57 AM
New feat idea:

Eyes of the Forest: You may ignore cover or concealment granted by any terrain noted in your Children of the Forest racial ability (usually only Forest). You my treat superior cover granted by this terrain as standard cover, and total concealment granted by this terrain as normal concealment.

Duos Greanleef
2010-11-23, 12:36 PM
I thoroughly enjoy this.
I'm watching this thread with anticipation.

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-23, 01:04 PM
Glad you like it, Duos. Any thoughts on balance or build for these little guys?

Duos Greanleef
2010-11-23, 06:25 PM

I'd argue that it's well balanced at this point. I haven't wanted to play a race so badly since they properly released warforged to 4E.
I'll build one up, and play it in my next session. Feedback will follow!

Duos Greanleef
2010-11-23, 06:37 PM

I'd argue that it's well balanced at this point. I haven't wanted to play a race so badly since they properly released warforged to 4E.
I'll build one up, and play it in my next session. Feedback will follow!

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-23, 11:11 PM
Looking forward to it - please post your build, as well as your evaluations!

A note: the Deku Faerie familiar is available to non-Kokiri spellcasters, as well. It's rare, but sometimes an outsider will perform a great service to a Kokiri village. The village's Deku Treant sometimes grants these faeries in return for such service.

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-24, 12:18 PM
And now, 'cuz I wanted to: a racial paragon path. still working on the 20th level daily power.

Emissary of the Deku Tree
“Wow, look at those bokoblin bandits running away! The Great Deku Tree is going to love hearing about this!”

Very few Kokiri choose to leave their secluded forest villages. The forest is their home, what they know. Sometimes, though, a Kokiri finds herself out in the wide world. Some are banished due to some offense to the village. Others find tracks and, curious, follow them out into the lands beyond the Forest. Some are sent out by the village or the Deku Tree who watches over it to perform some task.

Emissaries of the Deku Tree are those Kokiri who have been chosen by the Great Deku Tree or one of its Deku Tree representatives to wander the world. Some serve as diplomats and representatives of the Kokiri to other civilizations. Others take a more passive role, observing the ways of the world beyond to report them back to the Deku Tree when, at long last, they return to their village homes. All are unusually open and daring for Kokiri, willingly wandering far from their homes in the forest for months, years, or even longer before their return.

Emissary of the Deku Tree path features:
Children of the World (11th level): Choose one source of difficult terrain other than forest (Ice, stone, or water). Your Children of the Forest ability is expanded, allowing you to ignore that kind of terrain as well as forested terrain while shifting.
Emissary’s Action (11th level): When you spend an Action Point to take an extra action, all enemies take a -2 to attacks made against you until the end of your next turn.
Branching Guidance (16th level): Your Faerie Guidance power changes. It now affects one or two enemies within the burst. At 26th level, it affects one, two, or three enemies within the burst.

Distracting Faerie Emissary of the Deku Tree attack 11
With a twinkle, your Faerie flits a quick circle around the enemy, confounding him and pointing out weak spots in his defenses at the same time
Encounter
Minor Action Close Burst 1
Requirement: Your Faerie Companion must be in active mode, and the origin square of the burst is the Faerie Companion’s square
Target: One enemy within burst
Attack: Wisdom or Charisma +4 vs. Will
Level 21: Wisdom or Charisma +6 vs. Will
Hit: The enemy is dazed and slowed. These conditions end if, at the end of the Kokiri's turn, the Faerie Companion is no longer adjacent to the enemy.
Effect: During the round in which you use the Distracting Faerie power, you may use your Guiding Faerie racial power on this target as a free action, even if you have already expended it this encounter. This does not expend the power.

Untouchable Fairie Emissary of the Deku Tree Utility 12
Your fairie takes on a flickering, fluttering motion, confounding enemies who try to strike it in motion or as part of a group attack.
Daily *
Move action Personal
Your familiar shifts its speed. For the rest of the encounter, the Familiar no longer provokes Opportunity Attacks by moving and gains a +2 bonus to all defenses versus close and area attacks.

Daily Attack @20

hobbitguy1420
2010-11-27, 08:32 PM
Did some minor editing on the "emissary's action" ability and the "distracting faerie" power.

hobbitguy1420
2011-03-25, 10:24 AM
Hrm... still need to put together a level 20 attack for this Paragon Path. Thoughts?

Deathdarken
2011-03-25, 03:16 PM
this is cool, i like it love the zelda games

hobbitguy1420
2011-12-28, 04:51 PM
Hey! Listen!

(seemed more appropriate than "bump")

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-12-30, 02:17 PM
There are two things I don't like. One is that the racial power is only useful for melee characters. Another is that the "children of the forest" thing is a little underpowered. Elves have the same thing, accept that it applies to all difficult terrain.

The latter would be fine, if there were something to make up for it, but there isn't. The whole thing seems a tad weak.

hobbitguy1420
2011-12-30, 02:27 PM
There are two things I don't like. One is that the racial power is only useful for melee characters.

Actually, that's not true. The Kokiri's Faerie Companion can fly as far away from the Kokiri as it likes, and the +2 applies to all attacks, whether melee, ranged, magical, or otherwise.

Another is that the "children of the forest" thing is a little underpowered. Elves have the same thing, accept that it applies to all difficult terrain.

Hrm... I thought it felt fairly well balanced, combined with the Faerie Companion, Fae origin, etc. Would it be better if I granted the effects of "Eyes of the Forest" for free, rather than making it a Feat?

hobbitguy1420
2012-10-19, 11:11 PM
*bump for JUSTICE*

Veklim
2012-10-20, 05:41 AM
I like it, nice and simple, highly thematic and fits well to the Kokiri in LoZ:OoT. One thing I wonder about though, if your Faerie has a constant dim light then why does the race get a +2 to stealth? It's like trying to hide with a floating light bulb above your head...

hobbitguy1420
2012-10-20, 06:43 AM
...good point. *adds abaility to hide light as free action*

hobbitguy1420
2012-10-22, 08:23 PM
okay. added the ability to hide or reveal the light as a free action while the fairy's in your space.

Came up with a new racial feat:

Sylvan Nimbleness:
Prerequisites:11th Level, Kokiri, Children of the Forest feat
If you are subjected to forced movement while in forested terrain, you may shift one square in a direction of your choosing as a free action immediately after the forced movement has been resolved.

hobbitguy1420
2012-11-20, 12:55 AM
Made some more edits; decided that the Deku Tree(s) seemed more like Primal Spirits than lesser deities.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-11-20, 01:45 PM
I'm not a 4E player, but I love the idea of using the fairies to distract someone else for a change. :smallsmile:
"Hey! Dragon! Hey! Listen!"