PDA

View Full Version : Anyone well familiarized with ToEE?

Balor01
2010-11-24, 07:22 AM
I will run ToEE, modified for 3.5 soon, but story-wise some things look really funny. So, we have a temple and at its lowest lvl we have four planar nodes, filled with victims, consisting mostly of sentient beings who ... augmet power of evil guys? Somehow?

Then, there is throne of Zuggtimoy ... she is bound to the throne and ... If I understand correctly, PCs can just walk to her and coup-de-grace her?

What about the stones in her throne? They are supposed to activate portals to elemental nodes ... just by standing in them for three turns?

And Golden orb ... what is that all about? Temple crumbles if PCs destroy it, but what about other effects it has?

Damn thing (module/campaign) is IMHO quite poorly written. If someone could explain these temple concepts it would mean a lot to me.

tnx

Balor01
2010-11-24, 12:39 PM
Bumpan ... For great justice?

Drakoun
2010-11-24, 12:59 PM
I don´t get your questions...
the 4 gems (from the elemental nods) are needed to get the golden orb.
(they also summon elemtals which fight for you)
if you destroy the orb you weaken Zuggtimoy
if not you get much more of an encounter ^^
can be looked up here:
http://www.gamebanshee.com/templeofelementalevil/
uuuhhmm i just see you meant the actual adventure
didn´t know this really existed before Oo

maybe i could help anyway ;D

Grynning
2010-11-24, 01:21 PM
Then, there is throne of Zuggtimoy ... she is bound to the throne and ... If I understand correctly, PCs can just walk to her and coup-de-grace her?

I don't know much about the module, but I'm pretty sure the queen of fungus is immune to critical hits, and therefore to coup-de-grace.

Balor01
2010-11-24, 01:35 PM
@Drakoun
Do help, my man. :smallbiggrin:

1. Zugi is imprisoned. In a 2ed module she somehow sits on a throne ... I do not get it. Players get to her and just stab her? Also in module it says her powers grow when you take some pillars (golden, silver, etc ...) What about up to that point?

2. Stones in her throne are suppose do activate the portals to the nodes? If you pry them out and bring them to proper rooms?

3. Where does one get the Orb?

What really confues me is: If Zugi is chained down in that throne, why does someone not just come there (trough all the ogres/dragons/giants) and stab her/burn her to death?

Drakoun
2010-11-24, 02:48 PM
Theres a old woman before the throne which offers you a platinum pillar and/or asks for the golden orb of death
http://www.gamebanshee.com/templeofelementalevil/locations/lockedlevel.php

on third floor you can get the orb
http://www.gamebanshee.com/templeofelementalevil/locations/dungeonlevel3.php

the gems are found at the end of each elemental node, after beating some BBEG´s
they can be used alone or with the orb.

destroing the orb requires one mwk. maul, one scoll gust of wind, one scroll fire ball and some holy water.

ah and you need the four gems to get to the last floor with the women and Zuggtimoy

i cannot find where Zuggtimoy is all the time, but she´s just summond when you talk to the old woman (why not xD)

Balor01
2010-11-24, 03:47 PM
Who is old woman? Is it not Zugi in disguise? And is it not possible for PCs to just charge her?

Eldan
2010-11-24, 06:57 PM
It seems Drakoun is talking about the computer game, unless I'm mistaken (the link to game sites seem to suggest that). So, perhaps you can take some inspiration from that.

The Big Dice
2010-11-24, 11:03 PM
There's a great 3.5 conversion of ToEE here (http://www.enworld.org/forum/conversions/245278-attempt-rebuild-conversion-library-please-upload-conversions-3-5-here.html#post4554972). However, it does require the original module too.

I tried running it and found that once PCs get to the temple itself, the module becomes very tedious. The maps of the dungeon levels are horribly complex and the layout of the key makes it very hard to figure out where PCs are in the dungeon.

In other words, it's a very old school module and it takes huge amounts of effort from the GM to get anything resembling a cohesive structure out of running it.

The stuff with Zugtomoy is pretty unintuitive too. And so is the inclusion of Lolth and Iuz.

The Village of Hommlet is fantastic, though.

Balor01
2010-11-25, 05:36 AM
In other words, it's a very old school module and it takes huge amounts of effort from the GM to get anything resembling a cohesive structure out of running it.

The stuff with Zugtomoy is pretty unintuitive too. And so is the inclusion of Lolth and Iuz.

Yeah, that's my impression too. But I like the module due to its epicness. So, how do you guys think I should shape these two things:
- obtaining Glden orb
- encounter with Zugi?

Matthew
2010-11-25, 10:17 AM
It has been a canny while, but aren't the properties of the Golden Orb of Death explained in the appendix? I think Zugtomoy is "bound" by the throne as in "bound to this plane", rather than bound "hand and foot". :smallwink:

Balor01
2010-11-25, 10:22 AM
Eh, those properties are "jibberish". (Sorry, developers) I like this binding idea. Slowly and patiently I am putting the pieces of the puzzle together. Addition explanations and inputs much appreciated.

The Big Dice
2010-11-25, 10:42 AM
It has been a canny while, but aren't the properties of the Golden Orb of Death explained in the appendix? I think Zugtomoy is "bound" by the throne as in "bound to this plane", rather than bound "hand and foot". :smallwink:

That's right. There are huge golden doors that are magically sealed. They bind her in place and if the PCs are capable of breaking them open, each one increases the area she can move around in. If all four are broken, I think she's released.

Toliudar
2010-11-25, 10:45 AM
I'm going from memory of years ago, but I think I had Z not able to leave the throne room, but able to work to con the players into helping her by doing the pillars.

The Golden Orb was, as I recall, primarily designed as a McGuffin, the sort of thing that, once acquired and held, wrapped up the game. I fear that I'm mixing up details of ToEE with Return to the ToEE (an even bigger and more sprawling adventure, and with the advantage of at least starting with 3.0 stats).