PDA

View Full Version : Fractured Phantasmist (Illusionist PrC; PEACH)

Zom B
2010-11-25, 01:22 AM
Fractured Phantasmist

http://i52.tinypic.com/2hrla2c.jpg

"Roses are red,
Violets are blue.
I'm a schizophrenic,
And so am I."

The illusionist that wishes to truly immerse himself in the believability of his creations may choose to pursue the path of the fractured phantasmist, willingly fracturing his psyche in order to fuel his illusionary creations with personality and intelligence, at the loss of his own mind.

BECOMING A FRACTURED PHANTASMIST

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
Feats: Spell Focus (Illusion)
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks
Spellcasting: Must be able to cast 3rd level arcane spells and must be able to cast at least two spells of the Illusion school.

Class Skills
The fractured phantasmist's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).
Skills Points at Each Level: 2 + Int

Hit Dice: d4

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spellcasting
1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|Psyche Split|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|Psyche Split|
3rd|
+1|
+1|
+1|
+3|Psyche Split|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
4th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Psyche Split|
5th|
+2|
+1|
+1|
+4|Psyche Split|+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class [/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: The fractured phantasmist gains no additional weapon or armor proficiencies.

Psyche Split (Ex): At each level, the fractured phantasmist gains a permanent illusory double of himself that is controlled by a separate and independent section of the phantasmist's psyche that has split from his own. Its race is the same as the phantasmist's, but it has class levels in any one class (chosen by the phantasmist at the time of the double's creation) equal to the phantasmist's hit die. Its effective statistics, equipment, armor class, damage, base attack bonus, saving throws, skills, feats, and class abilities (including spellcasting) are as those listed in the Dungeon Master's Guide for a typical NPC member of that class and level. Although the phantasmist controls their actions, they act without the need for him to concentrate upon them, each receiving all of the normal actions in a round to which a normal character has available. Unlike other illusions, the doubles have armor classes dependent on their class abilities and equipment, and deal real damage, as indicated by their class abilities, spells, and/or weapons.
Because one brain is not meant to control the actions of so many individuals, the phantasmist's psyche often cannot manage all of them successfully. Consult the following table to determine the chance (rolled at the beginning of each double's and the phantasmist's initiative) of the phantasmist or his double acting normally during this round. If the roll lands outside of this chance, the phantasmist or double can defend himself (or itself) normally, but cannot take actions during the round.
Also, because the illusory doubles are indeed illusions, they can be disbelieved when interacted with. If a creature successfully disbelieves the illusory double, they are immune to any action the double takes, and can pass and see through the double freely. However, any damage that the double inflicted up to that point or any lasting effects the double placed upon the target continue as normal. Treat each double as an illusion spell of the highest-level arcane spell that the phantasmist is capable of casting. Unlike a traditional illusion spell, the doubles cannot be dispelled but otherwise function as a spell with a permanent duration (it is suspended when in the area of an antimagic field, for instance).

{table=head]Number of doubles|Chance to act normally
1|75%
2|65%
3|55%
4|45%
5|35%[/table]

Lix Lorn
2010-11-25, 05:15 AM
I...have no idea whether the downsides are enough to reduce the HUGE cheese this could perform. I love the idea, though.

Also, as more doubles means less chance of acting, would it make sense to make any doubles more than one Optional?

AugustNights
2010-11-25, 06:45 AM
What is the DC to Disbelieve.

I...have no idea whether the downsides are enough to reduce the HUGE cheese this could perform. I love the idea, though.

Also, as more doubles means less chance of acting, would it make senst o make any doubles more than one Optional?
The Downsides are not enough to reduce the Huge cheese this is designed to perform. Limits on conjuring Doubles per day would be good... or something... This could get crazy. 6 L.15 Wizards all about 35% effective, you're about two wizards... effectively, it's not pretty. Rods of quick spell...

Lix Lorn
2010-11-25, 07:52 AM
They're an illusion of the highest level spell he can cast, so 10+highest spell level+casting mod.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-25, 08:37 AM
So all you need is a pimped out Save DC for your Illusions and you have 5 free Wizards. Even with the 65% chance of doing nothing, this is fairly potent.

Zom B
2010-11-25, 12:43 PM
The percentages were what I was worried about. They could probably be lowered a bit. As far as not wanting more doubles than one, just don't take more levels.