PDA

View Full Version : If your past self met your present self...

Moff Chumley
2010-11-25, 10:13 PM
What would happen? Say, if Chumley two years younger were to run into me, he'd be utterly disgusted. I'm wearing purple skinny jeans, listening to hip-hop, FFRPing, and IMing. All of which disgusted my past self.

So how'd your past self view you?

Gullara
2010-11-25, 10:27 PM
Hmm, too be honest I haven't really changed all that much in the last couple years. Or even longer than that by my perception. Maybe I just don't notice the changes personally.

CrimsonAngel
2010-11-25, 10:31 PM
My present self would want to beat my past self up, and my past self would think that i'm a freak.

Jack Squat
2010-11-25, 10:32 PM
Past me would probably think that I was a loser for going into Accounting rather than something cooler. He'd also tell me to cut my hair, hippie :smalltongue:

druid91
2010-11-25, 10:34 PM
He'd probably remind me of something or another and then wander off.:smallbiggrin:

Kiren
2010-11-25, 10:34 PM
Well, my past self of two years ago would be fascinated with my gaming advances, would love my newer room and be screwing around with all my gadgets. Not to mention never letting go of my xbox.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-25, 10:35 PM
we would fight. epically. the drink coke and i would tell past me to avoid the cheeseburgers

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-25, 10:40 PM
I would have a serious talk with my younger self about what to avoid and what to grip onto and never let go of.

What's the time frame? Two key points in my life of note that I'd go back to. Winter of '99, and Spring of '08.

I'm thinking '08 though. I was at my very healthiest and happiest and at my most free. I was in love with the world. With knowledge I have now I could keep me from going from my highest point in life to my lowest and what to expect from the people who were, at the time, the most important in my life.

What I am now is exactly what my younger self was terrified would happen.

This would involve both my love life, career, and health, so I'd say it would be pretty important.

Younger self, even only two years ago, would probably be intimidated the Hell out by hardboiled Current me. I've been through some pretty rough crap since that spring, and learned some hard (actually, make that near crippling) life lessons. Its raised a bit of scar tissue (physically, mentally, and figuratively).

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-25, 10:41 PM
He would take a look and say that there is certainly hope for the future. Then start nagging on about why not more have happened.

absolmorph
2010-11-25, 10:47 PM
Depends on the length of time. Three years ago-me and present me would hate each other. Two years ago-me and present me would get along better. One year ago-me and present me would have a slightly strained conversation.
Present me and present me would take over the world and then slit each others throats. Or just take over the world and become benevolent dictators. I don't like most me's from the past, though. I only kinda like me now.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-25, 10:48 PM
I kinda despise most of my past selves. And they feel the same about me. :smallcool:

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-25, 10:51 PM
Wow, what's with y'all harping on your past selves?

I may be odd then, but I have no real hard feelings to my past self. I was a much, much nicer guy, just kind of dumb and naive (and in love, which is responsible for the other two. )

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-25, 10:54 PM

I may be odd then, but I have no real hard feelings to my past self. I was a much, much nicer guy, just kind of dumb and naive (and in love, which is responsible for the other two. )

lets just say i've changed. drastically.

9 year old avocado was a narcissistic d-bag

absolmorph
2010-11-25, 10:55 PM

Three years ago, I was pretty much evil, depressed, heart broken over a girl who hasn't ever really been attractive and has been just plain mean for years and didn't think well of anyone.
Which is why, given the opportunity, I would change nothing. Even the worst things I've done (dating a girl and telling her I love her when I really didn't and only realizing that 4 months later) are an improvement.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-11-25, 11:04 PM
Well, my new self is more comfortable with who he is. He has more friends. He has a social life.

I think my old self would be jealous. The loser.

arguskos
2010-11-25, 11:11 PM
Depends on the age of the past self. 10 years ago? No common ground to speak of. 5 years ago? Eh, probably would laugh at me and tell me to get a job and stop being a failure. 2 years ago? I'd look at him and tell him to GET THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS RIGHT NOW IT'S A TRAP.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-11-25, 11:16 PM
My old self was even more obsessed with grades than I am now, and considering that I'm currently beating myself up over a single B on my last report card...

Mathis
2010-11-25, 11:21 PM
My self from a couple of years ago (two to five years back), would be pretty proud I believe. I've come a long way from who I was then, and the journey has made me a better person all together. The kind of person I was hoping to be. Comfortable with my own self.

But, I think he'd also be mad at me for not taking that chance two years ago (he'd know which I'm talking about). With that said, I havn't changed much, but what I have changed have had massive results. If I could give my self some advice, and anyone else around in the ages 10-20, it would be to stay optimistic, enjoy your time spent with friends and don't worry too much. Learning not to worry and not caring are two very different things, where one makes it easier to get by, and the other is giving up.

Eon
2010-11-25, 11:27 PM
Hmm...

I'd probably tell him to focus on school, stick with my friends, and to not make the same mistakes I've had with girls... :smalleek:

Raz_Fox
2010-11-25, 11:30 PM
Two-years-ago Raz would be quite chuffed to see how far Present-Raz has gotten. And I don't mean in a "huh, kinda cool" sort of way, in a "OH MY GOSH I'M NEAR TEARS" sort of way.

He'd slap me for delaying so long on that project, and then hug me for getting it done. He'd tell me my writing was just okay, but that I was awesome for actually having the guts to write, period. He'd tell me to get back to work and stop procrastinating so much, then thank me for actually developing a spine and semi-sensible work ethic.

And then he'd be like, "Wait. I have another little sister coming up CUTE OVERLOAD AAAAAFBRLBR"

And then we'd talk about fantasy and our favorite authors and I'd recommend that he watch some anime and actually get stuck into that one game Grandpa got him for his birthday, the Japanese artwork one with the wolf, because you will love it once you really get started on it.

Partof1
2010-11-25, 11:42 PM
My past self would be both terrified, partly happy, and unsurprised. I have become such a goof compared to what I was, a bit lazier, better with people, not so much with girls, but I could give advice.

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-25, 11:44 PM
"So, wait, you're nice and people like you now?"
"Yup"
"And you actually managed to learn to do some useful stuff?"
"Yep"
"Wow! So you've started dating, right?"
"..."
"!@$# you."

Sounds about right.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-25, 11:47 PM

You remember what I was like on this forum a while back? I was a little punk, man. :smallyuk::smallcool:

Remmirath
2010-11-25, 11:49 PM
I haven't really changed very much, certainly not in the past six or so years.

Before then, my previous self would probably refuse to talk to me, and would just sort of shuffle away. I'd try to convince myself to talk to myself, which probably wouldn't work. Still, aside from being significantly less shy, I haven't changed all that much since even that long ago.

I'd still have things in common to talk about with myself back ... well, as far as I can remember. I suppose that might be a bit odd, but there it is.

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-26, 12:12 AM
i think timeline is important

9 year old avocado, narcisist
11 year old avocado, emo kid
14 year old avocado, stoner wannabe
16 year old avocado, metal head
18 year old avocado (me), that one hipster-ish kid who isn't a pretentious ass

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-26, 12:13 AM
I actually once wrote out a huge blog post about this, in fictional form. Like, present me slipped into a movie theater that past me was chilling in watching GI Joe and we had a discussion about thing that happened in the past year (or, for past me, would happen).

Eloel
2010-11-26, 12:16 AM
I'd probably beat the crap out of my past self.
Scratch that.
My past self would try to kill my current self for trampling all over his 'codes'. He'd get his ass handed to him (I -doubled- in size in last 5 years).

The sad thing is, my past self has a very good point.

Edit: Oooh, timeline. Me needs one too.
8-12 years old - little kid who has plenty of friends
12-14 years old - that one student who everyone wants to be like grade-wise. 'meh', socially.
14-16 years old - gradually decreasing sociality, gradually increasing geekity
17 years old - non-geeks ignore me. sociality? what is it?
18 years old - starts acting to gain friends. belkar-like in thought-style. pi-turn in self-respect, just to have a social life. I think I'm getting schizophrenic too, with an 'acting' personality and a personality who hates the actor's guts.

So, yeah. I'd kill a clone of me for being an ass. Anything from the past would not even think before trying to get rid of me.

FoE
2010-11-26, 12:20 AM
This is a question I've often thought about.

At first, I'd sit him down and have a long meaningful chat. I'd give him some advice on how to avoid some of the mistakes he's going to to make and what's really important in the scheme of things. I'd talk to him about treating his friends right, give him some exercise tips and maybe impart some wisdom about his love life.

Then I'd probably realize that he's a lost cause no matter what I told him. The only viable option left is to beat him to death with a shovel.

All things considered, it's for the best. He'd probably agree with me.

Trog
2010-11-26, 12:28 AM
I think past me would still think that present me still didn't have much of a clue as to what he was doing. And past me probably wouldn't listen to present me anyway. Because I'm stubborn like that. Likely it wouldn't be very productive. :smallamused:

Temotei
2010-11-26, 12:40 AM
My seven-year old self and I would have a talk about beating up kids for hurting my brother.

My nine-year old self would need a good coaching before my past self's parents' divorce. Then he'd need to get an opinion about some things within the next year.

My twelve-year old self...I'd tell him to do some things I wouldn't be proud of at any age.

My fifteen-year old self, I'd tell to get on that homework. Same with my sixteen- and seventeen-year old selfs.

My sixteen-year old self gets told off for liking that redheaded girl.

I think each of those ages would be slightly disappointed that I'm not taller, but they'd also be fairly proud of who I've become--at least morally. Then my fourteen-year old and younger selfs would chastise me for not doing some homework.

Hm. Not too bad, I guess. :smallcool:

Ichneumon
2010-11-26, 01:05 AM
I think my past selves of about 2-3 years ago would be proud of what I've achieved. It hasn't been (THAT) much or spectacular, but in their eyes, it will be seen as such.

My past selves from more than 3 years ago, would likely be somewhat intimidates by the choices I've made.

Coidzor
2010-11-26, 01:05 AM
Hmm. Disappointment, shame, anger.

The usual range of emotions associated with Fight Club, basically.

Temotei
2010-11-26, 01:10 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, something bad could happen if my selfs see each other. As in, world-destroying bad.

Not sure though, as I've never time-traveled more than one second into the future at a time (not counting daylight savings time).

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 01:11 AM
That's not really what I got outta Fight Club... mostly rage, helplessness, and ennui. :smallconfused:

Coidzor
2010-11-26, 01:34 AM
That's not really what I got outta Fight Club... mostly rage, helplessness, and ennui. :smallconfused:

:P Well, I haven't progressed to the point of attempting to bring down western civilization utilizing the latent pain and frustration of my fellows.

Mecharious
2010-11-26, 01:39 AM
My past-self is... very similar to me right now. I find it surprising how little I change... or how little I realize it.

Xefas
2010-11-26, 01:42 AM
Past Me would be like "Dude, you actually have a useful life skill? And you're not socially crippled by anxiety and depression? You're a badass."

And I'd be like "Want me to cook you some food and then maybe we could make out a little?"

And then he'd be like "Would I ever!"

And then we'd be like "NOMNOMNOM"

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-26, 01:42 AM
Depends, is it present me going to the past and meeting my younger self? or Younger me travelling to (his) future/(my) present?)

If the first, I would tell off my younger self to stop being a lazy ass, start working... and probably warning him about some decisions concerning his (our?) love life.

If the latter... my younger idealistic, peppy, optimistic self would probably be disgusted with the cynical, sarcastic, geeky and generally negative present self.... probably disheartened that I haven't reach any of the goals I made so much time ago.

Yeah... I am somewhat depressive right now

Coidzor
2010-11-26, 01:49 AM
If the latter... my younger idealistic, peppy, optimistic self would probably be disgusted with the cynical, sarcastic, geeky and generally negative present self.... probably disheartened that I haven't reach any of the goals I made so much time ago.

Yeah... I am somewhat depressive right now

It's the holidays, mate. Not many people who aren't.

Drascin
2010-11-26, 01:50 AM
My past self of a few years back would think me a self-destructive idiot and a traitor, most likely, but still have more than a bit of unspoken admiration for me.

I went through a pretty nasty pseudonihilistic phase, in my teens, and by then I hadn't yet made peace with my mother, so I still hated her and he'd probably see my current good relations as a betrayal. I was horribly cynical and pretty much had given up hope on the world ever being worth it. I wanted to help people but people wouldn't let themselves be helped and everything I did would be undone a hundredfold by some guy soon, were my thoughts at the time. So my current personality would garner a little admiration, but mostly a lot of head shaking and saying "poor idealistic bastard..." :smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-26, 01:54 AM
It's the holidays, mate. Not many people who aren't.

Not really, I am trying to write a stupid essay for college entry but inspiration is just not flowing, I had a somewhat serious fight with my parents a few minutes ago.... and the cherry on top? I still have two more weeks of classes before I start end of term exams and then holidays....

On-topic: Also my past self would be quite joyful because Christmas is "so" near (talking about me 10 years ago)

Shyftir
2010-11-26, 02:04 AM
He'd be confused about why stuff he/me/we thought would happen in our life didn't.
And I'd be like, switch your majors to this double and work a lot harder, we might still have a chance to not be living at home, jobless in a really serious financial hole during a Major Economic Regression.

Also as a result, hopefully I'd post/lurk here less because of having a job.

Oh an I'd tell him that the crazy girl from Ohio is a keeper even if you feel conflicted about her, you'll get over it. (Only relationship I broke off and only break-up I regret.)

Fortuna
2010-11-26, 02:05 AM
My past self would get a thick ear.

Jack Zander
2010-11-26, 02:07 AM
My past self would probably be horrified.

I'd tell him not to bother with the girl he is madly in love with, because no matter how hard he tries she leaves him anyway. Several times in fact. I'd also tell him to completely forget about any serious relationships until he's out of school, and save as much money as possible. A slew of financial problems is going to hit him all at once (including a $2,800 car repair) and if he's wasting all his money on dates then he will completely max out his credit cards and not have a penny to his name by the end of 2010. Also, he should focus more on his friendships and try to meet new people at every opportunity.

factotum
2010-11-26, 02:23 AM
I'd want to tell my younger self some of the mistakes I made in the hope he could avoid them, and I've no doubt he'd be very disappointed in me for not yet being a millionaire living in luxury retirement... :smallbiggrin:

thorgrim29
2010-11-26, 02:23 AM
Huh...
Past me: Hey, you have stubble instead of fuzz, cool, but you put on a bit of weight
Me: Yeah, well, college will do that, BTW try Aikido right the hell now, it's loads of fun.
Past me: So, are we still dateless?
Me: Unfortunately, but I do have way more friends now and a social life to speak of, so I figure it'll come
Past me: Crap... How many times have you pussied out on asking a girl out in the last years?
Me: Dunno, a lot, BTW our little brother has a girl now
Past me: You suck man....
Me: Not as much as you so shut up.

Will follow a talk about which decisions to change, who is a good friend, and stuff, and then we'd drink beer and watch a few movies and series (Scott Pilgrim, Inglourious Basterds, Dollhouse and a few others). Finally I'd give him the complete TSX and NYSE stock quotes of the last years in several copies (paper, cd, flash drive) and hope the changes affect me and are positive.

Quincunx
2010-11-26, 06:13 AM
Blood with a clear conscience. After all, the laws say nothing conclusive about doing bodily harm short of suicide to your own flesh.

Lillith
2010-11-26, 06:34 AM
Hmmm, for me this is a hard one. Let's start with -2 years me. For one I think she'd have find it a relief that I've broken up with my then boyfriend. Funnily enough this day 2 years ago it would be 9 days before our first break up. But then would get disgusted with me for hearing that I'd get back with him a week later only to break it off completely after that.

She'd also be pretty pissed at me for dating a guy that at that point I found a total jerk and moron. Though really happy to know that I managed to finish my bachelor as expected. Then not so happy to hear she's going into therapy. But then really happy to hear I managed to lose 10kg. (Sadly for her she'll still have to go through with that)

Now personally I'm not really sure what I'd tell any of my past selves. I've had to deal with a lot of crap but they all led to who I am now. I think I'd tell my -2 self to go into therapy and get a certain test and work on certain flaws that I have trouble with now. (I'd listen to myself) I think I would tell her to watch out for a guy who almost mentally broke me and to not get back with my first ex after breaking up with him for the first time. However I'd also tell her to try and connect with the guy I'm currently dating cause I'd be really sad if I'd miss out on him. :smallfrown:

Now if I'd go back to primary school me I'd prolly tell me self to not treat my class on candy the day I change schools. Since I left that school cause they freaking bullied and threatened me. I'd also give her the advice to start taking Aikido lessons. But I think that's it. How much of a jerk my first ex might have been to me after the break up he gave me lots of happy times and open up a little. Also gave me a clear perspective of what I'd want in a guy. I think I would be tempted to tell my very younger self to not feel bad about herself and to start eating healthier.

@Thor: Lol! I guess we're the same in that front!

Edit: Oh! I think I would want to talk with 16 year old me just before graduating high school. I'd tell her to study history and after getting my P going STRAIGHT TO UNI! Don't do teacher bachelor, GO TO UNI NOW! Fourth year of teacher bachelor is HELL! DON'T DO IT! So what if you have only one bachelor instead of two. AVOID THOSE TWO DEPRESSIONS AND DO SOMETHING YOU LIKE!

darbythegambler
2010-11-26, 06:34 AM
if my past self met me now?...

Past: Mommy! there's a bear in the house!
Me: :smallsigh:

Dada
2010-11-26, 06:36 AM
Two year younger self: Hey, things good?
Me: Yeah
Two year younger self: Great. Going according to plan?
Me: Pretty much.
Two year younger self: Thats good.
Me: Yes.
Two year younger self: Yes.
Me: Yes.
Two year younger self: Bye, I guess
Me: See you in two years.

Fourteen year old self: You started drinking? You totally betrayed me!
Me: ...
Fourteen year old self: You're living in Copenhagen in a nice apartment with your girlfriend who can beat you in video games?! OMGIWANNABEYOU!
Me: You will be. Uh, but when Mom tells you to exercise more. She's right. Just do it.
Fourteen year old self: Why is everyone out to get me?!

^^^ Wow, thats uh... creepy.

Ashen Lilies
2010-11-26, 07:46 AM
My past self would say that I'm a pretty cool guy. :smallcool:

I'd smack my past self in the mouth and tell him I'd be even cooler if you weren't such a gorram slacker. :smallmad: AND DON'T STOP WEARING THOSE RETAINERS! :smallmad::smallmad::smallmad:
Also you're gay. Might as well get over it now. :smalltongue:

_Zoot_
2010-11-26, 07:57 AM
Well, first thing I would do is sit my self down and hand myself a package,

"Well past me, this is what you want, stock information, lists of important events and what you should do there that I didn't and most importantly of all, copies of the final exam papers that you will sit in two years."

Then I and myself would have a heart to heart, I would beat some good advice into me 'bout many a topic, such girls and the lack of them being involved with us and of course give me my reading list and tell me to get started now, because I need any head start I can get.

Yeah, I'm sure there are other things, but I can't think of them right now.

Is it a bad thing that it was the stock info and the exams that first came to my mind?

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-26, 07:58 AM
I have not changed much in 2 years. We'd probably come back here and play some video games. =P

Eloel
2010-11-26, 08:29 AM
Is it a bad thing that it was the stock info and the exams that first came to my mind?

I assumed 'outside' things (as in, stuff that I wasn't involved in the making of) would 're-randomize'.

Else, meeting myself from yesterday would help him out a LOT, cash-wise.

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-26, 08:45 AM
Wouldn't it be suicide to give your past too much "advice"?

Snares
2010-11-26, 09:01 AM
Any further back than me two years ago and I would honestly want to strangle myself. I mean, the younger myself, not the myself myself.

Doubtless I'll think the same about how I am now in two more years anyway, though. Ah well...

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-26, 09:06 AM
I'd punch him. He's a bastard. He wrote, "Screw you future me" in my math book, and I haven't forgiven him ever-since.

Jibar
2010-11-26, 09:07 AM
Any questions from past me would be "Why aren't we 500ft tall yet?"

All messages from future me would be "We only get more awesome."

And then Street Fighter.

All day.

Every day.

Mordokai
2010-11-26, 09:53 AM
"So wait... this is what I become?*

*goes to hang himself*

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-26, 10:00 AM
"So wait... this is what I become?*

*goes to hang himself*

But if your oast self hung himself, you would cease to exist, so he would have never hung himself so it did happen so he did hang himself.

Paradoxes suck huh? :smallannoyed:

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-26, 11:03 AM
But if your oast self hung himself, you would cease to exist, so he would have never hung himself so it did happen so he did hang himself.

Paradoxes suck huh? :smallannoyed:

you made my brain hurt.... it's too early in the morning for that:smallannoyed:

Syka
2010-11-26, 11:11 AM
I think myself from two years ago would be pretty happy with where I am. Two years ago I was right on the cusp of graduating and going through a super rough patch with Oz.

Now, I'm a semester away from getting my Masters, things are going good with Oz (if a little strained due to school), I've come really far in regards to baggage, and I actually have decent prospects of getting a good job. Past-self would be bummed about still working an entry-level retail job, though.

She'd definitely be impressed and surprised by some of the internship stuffs I've done, though.

Coidzor
2010-11-26, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't it be suicide to give your past too much "advice"?

Depends on how/if timelines work. Might just cause additional parallel worlds to split off by going back in time and doing everything ya do.

Kislath
2010-11-26, 12:16 PM
My past self would be very disappointed in my current self. He'd complain, and I'd tell him what to do to make things turn out more like we'd expected. I'd go into great detail, too, and be rich and powerful today.

Blue Ghost
2010-11-26, 12:25 PM
Interesting question... I think my present self would definitely give my past self a lot of grounds for hope. But my past self might be overbearing and judgmental toward me. Or maybe not, maybe he'll see the error of his ways.

Lolzords
2010-11-26, 12:31 PM
Past me probably wouldn't like new me. Skinny jeans, nikes, long hair, piercings and a fan of all music, including dance, rnb and hip-hop compared to a skinhead just into metal. Haha, I used to be pretty shallow.. :smallannoyed:

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 12:35 PM
Oh, one other thing: I'd shred epic keytar epicness at young me. And he'd be jealous. :3

Level8Mudcrab
2010-11-26, 03:22 PM
I'd probably tell my younger self some lottery numbers :smalltongue:

On a more serious note, I think my younger self would be pretty jelous of me. I would tell him to work harder in school though. I'd also link him to GitP, so I'd have known about here for a longer time. Other than that 'd probably just give him useful bits of advise.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-26, 03:39 PM
My present self would warn me not to pretend I did'nt like that girl in middle school. Be more honest even when sky.

My past self will like the fact that I'm more muscular.

ghost_warlock
2010-11-26, 03:56 PM
Well, I used to be a human paladin and now I'm a ghoulish fungal warlock so, yeah, there's been some changes.

Interesting question... I think my present self would definitely give my past self a lot of grounds for hope. But my past self might be overbearing and judgmental toward me. Or maybe not, maybe he'll see the error of his ways.

Heh, I definitely wouldn't be a font of hope for my past self. And I'm sure we'd both be rather judgmental of each other, for different reasons.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 04:01 PM
Well, I used to be a human paladin

used to be a paladin

paladin

Honky say WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT? :confused:

ghost_warlock
2010-11-26, 04:23 PM
Well, here's some photographic documentation of the transformation.

Then:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/seniordreampulse300dpi75.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/seniorpurple04.jpg

Recent:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/atwork.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/zalgo.jpg

Nowish:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/snarl-1.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/thanksgaminggrin.jpg

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 04:58 PM
...huh. :smallconfused:

_Zoot_
2010-11-26, 06:32 PM
Well, here's some photographic documentation of the transformation.

Then:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/seniordreampulse300dpi75.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/seniorpurple04.jpg

Recent:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/atwork.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/zalgo.jpg

Nowish:

http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/snarl-1.jpg
http://i461.photobucket.com/albums/qq339/ghost_warlock/thanksgaminggrin.jpg

Wow, I did not expect anyone to actually be able to provide evidence of a transformation from Paladin to Warlock... :smallconfused:

But, there you have it. :smallbiggrin:

John Cribati
2010-11-26, 06:37 PM
My old self would kill me because I misused our intelligence.

megabyter5
2010-11-26, 07:07 PM
8 year old me cusses me out for being fat and having glasses. Then he calls me boring and goes to watch TV or something.

13 year old me wants to know what happened with the girl he has a crush on. I tell him to look at an image of an attractive nude woman and come back if it does anything for him. He realizes it doesn't, and gets depressed.

15 year old me asks how well I'm doing in college, then calls me a lot of unflattering names when he doesn't like the answer.

Science Officer
2010-11-26, 09:33 PM
Borges wrote a great story about this called "The Other".
Significantly more than two years, though...

CynicalAvocado
2010-11-26, 09:46 PM
i'd trade 10 year old avocado an ipad for my old gameboy

Coidzor
2010-11-26, 09:48 PM
Well, I used to be a human.
Wait, what?! :smalleek:

Borges wrote a great story about this called "The Other".
Significantly more than two years, though...

Heinlein wrote a story called "All You Zombies." Look it up on the wiki for some helpful references to some related stories. Turns out, you just can't resist seducing yourself, knocking yourself up, and giving birth to yourself.

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 09:58 PM
Or rather, try not to think about "All You Zombies" if you don't have to. Wierd stuff. :smalleek:

Science Officer
2010-11-26, 10:15 PM
errr... The Other is a lot different from All You Zombies.

Old man sits on a bench next to a young man. Old man finds youngman familiar. Old man recalls having sat on a bench near a river like this years ago. Old man asks young man questions about himself. Young man insists that it is such and such a year, and that the river is in South America. Old man insists that it is such and such a year and the river is in England.
The old man is determined that the young man is his past self, the young man takes more convincing, but eventually agrees.
They attempt to determine whether it is the old man dreaming of his past self or the young man dreaming of his future self.
The old man wakes up.

It's better than I've made it sound.

Em Blackleaf
2010-11-26, 10:19 PM
Hmm, I think past me (like middle school/freshman me) would think now me is pretty cool. She'd wonder why we don't like Hot Topic anymore, but then again, she probably knew it all along. I'd tell her about how there are other stores in the mall and I'd probably insult her a little. She'd feel bad that we didn't own any skinny jeans, but so do I now. We need to go clothes shopping bad. She'd think we look like kinda a hippie (only cleaner and a little more shoes-wearing) and she'd probably become now me a lot faster.

I'd tell her to throw away that stupid pink mini skirt and start shopping for cute stockings now.

She'd probably disapprove of the fact that we're now considering a JC before going to a four-year. But if she thought about it, she'd probably have known that one all along too.

She'd be amazed that we end up getting a boyfriend. She'd probably like him too. :smalltongue:

I'd tell her to get rid of her MySpace now because it's not going anywhere and to get on Facebook this instant.

She'd be happy I'm still on GiantITP. ^-^

I'd also tell her, "Start cutting your own bangs now and save yourself lots of disappointment and headbands. They turn out great."

She'd be confused as to why we like Lady Gaga now and I'd just tell her to give it a few years.

I'd also teach her of the general uselessness of makeup and maybe save ourselves a few pimples.

She'd think it was so cool that we get glasses and an XBOX 360.

Syka
2010-11-26, 10:30 PM
I'd also give my two-years-younger self a huge hug and explain everything I have over in the Girls Thread. Knowing there was an end in sight would have saved me so much pain and mental-self-harm (I really beat myself up for a time). I'd let her know we would be getting a wonderfully supportive doctor, and that Oz really didn't mind beyond the normal guy stuff, and that the wait and the work is so worth it.

Oh, and I'd tell her to get on the continuous BC way sooner. ;) That stuff is amazing.

Castel
2010-11-26, 11:05 PM
How far back are we talking about in here? If it's like meeting me as an infant... I'd just tell me to keep up the good work, and walk away hoping that doesn't change much who I am today. Maybe even pretend I don't recognize me or something. :smalltongue:

Now, If it was myself from yesterday? "Go to sleep earlier, dumbass! And wake up even 10 minutes earlier from what you thought was a good time. Oh... and remember the correct classroom number, you'll make a fool of yourself!" :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2010-11-26, 11:28 PM
Hypocritical as it feels, the point of this thread was more how your past self would react to your present self. I, of course, have no problems with any other way you'd like to interpret the thread. Just because I recall a thread of the "give advice to your past self" nature a few months back. But I could be wrong.

Anyhow, past me would be shocked by my music taste. But jealous that I saw Porcupine Tree. :smallamused:

EDIT: I just realized I didn't actually say anything hypocritical in this post. I guess I meant, since I tend to post off topic a lot. :smalltongue:

Thufir
2010-11-26, 11:44 PM
Past me would be all "What the hell? I start drinking alcohol and grow facial hair? Why would I do those things?"
That's the only reaction of which I can really be certain.
As to giving myself advice, I probably wouldn't, at least not much. Past me followed a certain path to become Present me, and I don't want to risk pushing him off it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-11-27, 12:06 AM
Dice, circa 1999: Has a massive Lego collection, loves computer games and programming, has a fast computer, hangs out with his near-identical-twin best friend at every single opportunity, is the most punny and sarcastic person among friends and family, is a "people person" who's actually introverted on the inside, has an ego whose mass would put Jupiter's to shame, loves learning and reading and academics, loves eating Italian food.

Dice, circa 2010: Has a more massive Lego collection, still loves computer games and programming, has a faster computer, hangs out with the same near-identical-twin best friend at every single opportunity, is still the most punny and sarcastic person among friends and family, is still a "people person" who's actually introverted on the inside, still has an ego whose mass would put Jupiter's to shame, still loves learning and reading and academics, loves eating and cooking Italian food.

Yeah, I think my past self and I would get along fine. :smallbiggrin:

We'd probably chat while building with Legos, swap plans for world domination during a game of Smash Bros, and generally enjoy ourselves. I'd just have two things to tell him: One, start on a low-carb diet now, despite the pain that pasta withdrawal will cause, since the blood work I just had done said I had this thing where I should have been cutting them out a lot earlier (also, I could only be considered "in shape" if you counted "round" as a shape, so getting more active earlier would be nice). Two, that thing in January of 2002? Yeah, Past Dice, you know what I'm talking about. Fix that somehow. You'd probably be a hell of a lot happier right now

AshDesert
2010-11-27, 12:06 AM
Reactions of past selves to present me:

Infant me- "Who's that? I wonder if he has food for me?"

5-year-old me- "Wait, I get GLASSES?! WTH!"

10 year old me- "I see you still haven't dropped that weight."

13 year old me would be horrified that I "folded" to "peer pressure" and got contacts and friends

15 year old me would be surprised that I have a girlfriend and non-nerdy friends. I'd also be perplexed by my musical tastes (I've gone from Nirvana being my favorite band to my favorite musicians being a 3-way tie between Benny Goodman, Howlin' Wolf, and Muddy Waters). He'd also be really happy that I managed to get in a good college (and say something along the lines of "So dad was right all along").

It's fun to look at how you've changed over the years too. 13 year old me would hate present me, 15 year old me would be jealous (and then be ecstatic when he realizes he'll become me).

Project_Mayhem
2010-11-27, 06:36 AM
I'd grab 2 years ago PM by the shoulders, shake him, and say 'You kiss the girl, you kiss the girl and tell her you love her dammit' and he'd be like 'hold on, you live on a friend's couch', and I'd be like 'oh yeah, get a better degree you wastrel'

Lord Loss
2010-11-27, 10:42 AM
My past self would like my present self. i would not like past self. Nuff said.

Castaras
2010-11-27, 12:14 PM
She'd probably realise that she should stop being so nervous about being "cool" and just be herself.

Pretty much, the only way I've changed is in how confident I am to do what I want, not what the crowd wants.

That, and me getting into metal. :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2010-11-27, 01:14 PM
I'd hate myself. Seriously. Or, at least I think I would.

Eldritch Knight
2010-11-27, 01:39 PM
It would seriously depend on how far back in the past I went. There have been enough events in my life that my present self would try to tell my past self how to avoid them, but that of course gets into temporal continuity issues.

Dogmantra
2010-11-27, 01:56 PM
I'm not entirely sure I could resist hitting my past self repeatedly while saying "stop punching yourself" over and over. Sure it's crude, but when are you going to get an opportunity like that again?

Flickerdart
2010-11-27, 01:59 PM
I would steal my past self's cufflink, because I lost one of my favourite pair. Then I will have two again.

Eldritch Knight
2010-11-27, 03:03 PM
I would steal my past self's cufflink, because I lost one of my favourite pair. Then I will have two again.

And presumably that wouldn't cause a paradox, because it would be how you lost it in the first place....

npc revolution
2010-11-27, 03:42 PM
I'd give my past self a big hug, and tell him not to worry about anything in the meantime.

Manave_E_Sulanul
2010-11-27, 05:36 PM
Past: "I assume you're here to fix something? Also, that Goatee? Makes you look like a d-bag."

Time Traveler: "Act as though I was never here. You'll see why..."

ghost_warlock
2010-11-27, 05:40 PM
I'd give my past self a big hug, and tell him not to worry about anything in the meantime.

Hm. Is that the point at which you stab him in the back, stash the body, and assume control of his life?

Cuz, like, good plan! :smallcool:

Cealocanth
2010-11-27, 05:55 PM
This is a 8-10 year-old version of me's opinion:

My past self would probably describe me as "big kid" or "bully". Sad enough to say, my past self would be utterly confused with the conversation I use on a daily basis, and would get really frustrated with my sarcastic sense of humor. He would probably cry.

That may be partially because I've become a much more serious and tough person in the past few years, and partially because the little version of me was timid and was unable to handle problems with any solution but crying.

This is a 12 year old me's opinion:

MY 12 year old self would probably be amazed at what I have accomplished in the years past my Bar Mitzvah. The me that had never heard of GitP or even thought of running a D&D campaign would look forward to his future as far as accomplishments go.

He would be absolutely appalled to know that in just a few years he would be living life with virtually no friends at all. He would be confused why I would ever want to hang out with grown ups on a regular basis, and would not be very proud of the fact that I'm using the same room.

DragonOfLies
2010-11-27, 06:24 PM
Past me (of 2 years ago) would probably be fairly impressed with my academic achievements, if not with anything else. I'd tell him to keep in contact with a lot more of my friends after I finish school, and to appreciate them more. I'd also tell him not to bother with girls; don't start a relationship just for the sake of it, wait until you find someone who's actually right for you. Not sure if I should warn him about how depressing his first year of uni will be since there isn't much he could do about it, and I certainly don't want to discourage him from going in the first place.
That's all I could really give him in the way of advice... if anything, I'd be asking him for advice. Life was better back then. It's not terrible now, but still...

Syka
2010-11-27, 06:47 PM
My past-self-from-two-years ago probably wouldn't be too surprised. Happy, if anything, but pretty much "Called it" except for the degree program I'm in now.

Past self from 4-5 years ago (18-19) would be shocked with my current degree program, and very surprised with who I am with now. :) She would be completely bummed that I'm still in a low-end retail position, but proud I've always kept out of fast-food. Depending on if it was four or five years ago, she would be depressed about the end of our first relationship or happy to know how well we recover. :smallfrown:

Past self from 10 years ago (13) would be all happy and stuff that I have a boyfriend. However, she would also be shocked at the huge shift in values I've had in the last decade and maybe a little disappointed in me for some decisions. If I got a chance to explain why I made the choices I did, and why a mellower me is better, she might understand. But she might not. I dunno. She would be ecstatic, however, that we have the best friend now that I did then. <3

I have no idea for anything from before I was 11, though.

dromer
2010-11-28, 07:59 PM
If I saw my past self I would try to remember things I've regretted over the years, not think of anything, and end up playing vidjagames.

Phae Nymna
2010-11-28, 11:08 PM
I would slap myself across the face and say:

"Don't you dare go for the boy you will meet in driver's ed. Ask your dancer friend who's in Hairspray with you."

Then I'd slap myself again and tell younger me to hit the gym more.

Deth Muncher
2010-11-28, 11:12 PM
Hm...past me was a smidge skinnier, but without girlfriend. Current me is a tad pudgier, with a girlfriend. I get the feeling that the girlfriend would just leave me for him, and consequently be arrested for dating jailbait. And I would also force past me to go run a mile a day, so as to avert the pudgitude.

Jallorn
2010-11-28, 11:16 PM
Depends on how far back you're talking. Recent past? We'd nod and pass on by, I don't think I could stand my own presence and have thought that for a while now. Much further back and I wouldn't acknowledge my past self I think. And I doubt that he would recognize me, so yeah.

SilentNight
2010-11-28, 11:56 PM
Within mid-late 2008, I don't think anything much would happen, a nod, a "What's up?" and an interesting conversation about what to do and what not to do in the coming months. Prior to that, I think my past self would be a little weirded out, I've changed a fair amount since middle school. I think we'd get along alright though.

HalfTangible
2010-11-29, 12:00 AM
I would tell my younger self that calling out immature jackasses on their immaturity works very well in shutting them the hell up if you keep it focused on them and not how pathetic it is that they need to find an easy target.

Also, removing yourself from the classroom is perfectly acceptable if the teacher knows why.

My younger self would then coldly tell me that the fact i felt the need to say that at all is even more depressing than the idiot jerks i was warning him against in the first place.

Dienekes
2010-11-29, 12:15 AM
From 2 years back? Probably something like this.

Past me: Hi
Present me: Howdy
Past me: You got fat.
Present me: I got lazy, don't worry you will too.
Past me: Gee thanks, now I have something to look forward to.
Present me: It gets worse.
Past me: Oh, how?
Present me: I'll let it surprise you.
Past me: Not even a hint?
Present me: Nahh, It'll be funnier if you don't see it coming.
Past me: How is it funny if it's me getting screwed?
Present me: That's what makes it funniest, you'll learn that soon enough.

Vizzerdrix
2010-11-29, 02:41 AM
Hmm... I'd rather go have a talk with me from 7-8 years ago. The things I know now, if I knew then, I'd be much better off.
-Let my room mates twist in the wind and bail on them as soon as possible. Living with friends is a horrid idea and will not work. Ever. No, not even then.
-Get off overnights. Go back to unloading or find something new, but just run away from overnights and never look back.
-Stick with the diet and get in better shape. You'll feel tons better
-save more money and get into the business of buying bank foreclosures.
-When you meet Nicole, avoid her. It's a trap and you'll only get hurt.
-The next time you see Amanda, ask her out. She's more interested than you think.
-Steal kalluha. He'll be much better off than what is gonna happen to him.
-Look up a little thing called Kingdom of Loathing and get involved. You'll be glad you did.
-Don't get involved in D&D. It'll waste too much time and cash, cost you friends and in the long run leave you bitter.
-Call mom. Tell her why you don't talk to her. You deserve to vent it for once.
-Call Dad. Tell him why you don't talk to him, then start.

Mr. Moon
2010-11-29, 12:30 PM
Hmm...
Two years ago, I'd be in the middle of highschool. Highschool-me would probably be surprised by how much more confident I've gotten, and my ability to actually talk (albeit with some effort) to strangers. I'd warn her that her friends are freaking jerks, but everyone else in the school is a drug addict or just too different to make friends with, so I'd tell her to stick with them and prepare for some rocky times. Besides, they're the ones who get you into DeviantART, Magic: The Gathering, and Dungeons and Dragons. :smallsmile:
I'd also yell at her for not asking Ross out and leading Riley on, and tell her that it's not going to just "go away", start using some freaking acne cream. And while you're at it, get a job.

Elementary me would get some tough love. She was a self-centered, cruel, self-pitying idiot with no idea how to relate to anyone. She needed a good slap across the face, but also a tight hug, and a change of location. I'd get her out of that hell-hole of a school and put her back in her first school, where she had friends, and where the people who would become her highschool friends grew up. Hopefully then she wouldn't grow up with so much trauma.
Oh, and I'd tell her to complain to Mum about Jan more often.

RandomNPC
2010-11-30, 10:15 PM
I tend to either ask lots of questions and make absolutely certain what the knowledge is that I'm being given, or I info dump and explain everything five times.

Little kid me would annoy present me by over-explaining simple things, but if a me a few years younger came by we'd fight to see who was the better me. After a good tussle I'd tell younger me to take girls on dates and not just hang around, that advice alone would change so much.

I've always been the type to say what I'm thinking, in recent years I've learned to curb myself if someone I care about would catch flack about it. But to sit with myself, and tell myself how I think I am, or was back then? I think younger me would accept it and try to use all given information. I'm not the most motivated, but I know some things would happen.

I've always known as you age your mindset changes, even 10 year old me accepted that, the few times I've given in to peer pressure I had a blast, and I haven't done any illegal drugs or anything, so I think younger me may have a good grasp on things to begin with.

MartytheBioGuy
2010-12-01, 12:27 AM
The little BioGuy would be impressed that I currently spend a lot of time playing pretend (in the form of improv, acting, D&D, and ARGs). But he would wonder why I never draw anymore. And then he and I would take out the LEGOs and have an amazing afternoon, because I currently love little kids, and little me liked playing with big kids.

The late-elementary BioGuy would like that I still like animals (in the form of ecology and biology), but again wonder why art has crept out of my life. And then he would wonder where I grew the balls to start trying out for plays.

Middle school BioGuy was sad. He'd probably cry into my shoulder about how he was fat and conflicted and awkward and everyone called him gay. And then I'd comfort him, and tell him to maybe pick up the vegetarian thing when he hit high school rather than waiting for college, and try to get more exercise. And to ask his parents if he could leave private school, because the kids there are tools. And tell him to start trying out for plays, because he has the talent, he's just scared.

Senior-in-high-school BioGuy would wonder what the frank happened. He'd ask why I'm not working on becoming a zookeeper and what the heck happened to that "no, I'm not teaching, because everyone else in the family's doing it" attitude, and why am I planning to become a freaking PROFESSOR in my old age? And when the heck did I pick up acting? What, improv acting wasn't good enough for me? And then he'd mumble something about how I've probably got less awful friends in college, and congratulate me on losing all that weight.

Freshman-in-college BioGuy would get a hug, and then I'd tell him to get out there, audition for plays, join improv, and take those education classes I've been denying myself. I love to act and I love to teach, freshman me, and I'll be happier when I just admit it. And stop pining over high-school girlfriend and start hanging out with Heather, since she's your soulmate. And stop dressing like a frumpy moron and get some fun t-shirts. And work at camp this summer, because another summer with my dad is going to make you want to kill yourself. Possibly literally.

Sophomore BioGuy was already on the road to becoming me, who is the happiest I've ever been, so he'd probably pat me on the back and say good job. And then I'd do the same. And then remind him to turn in his job app for camp on time, 'cuz it'll be the best summer of my life.

Moofaa
2010-12-01, 01:28 PM
Young Moofaa from the age of 10 or so would curl up in a ball and cry.

Teen Moofaa from around age 15 or so would say "That sucks, but I could totally see that coming."

Adult Moofaa from about 10 years ago would say "Huh...well...I see nothings changed at least."

Teddy
2010-12-01, 02:58 PM
Past self from five years ago would be pretty happy that things have turned out so well.

Past self from ten years ago would be pretty sad that I've lost so much of my drive and all the consequences of that.

Both of these past selves would demand that I teach them programming NOW, and I probably could, since I must pretty much be the nly guy who fully understands what I'm saying.
... Hopefully.

bluewind95
2010-12-01, 08:22 PM
There wouldn't be much said. I'd kill her. And she'd understand.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-01, 08:25 PM
There wouldn't be much said. I'd kill her. And she'd understand.

*hugs tight* =\

This is worrying. If you need someone to talk to...let me know. Please don't do something to hurt yourself. =\

cycoris
2010-12-01, 08:31 PM
Self from 2 years ago would absolutely despise me now, and vice versa. We'd probably get into a screaming fight within the first two minutes, unless I decide to be wise and keep my mouth shut, in which case I'd just ignore her. Gods though, I'm such an idiot. :smallsigh:

bluewind95
2010-12-01, 08:33 PM
*hugs tight* =\

This is worrying. If you need someone to talk to...let me know. Please don't do something to hurt yourself. =\

It's okay. I don't generally do anything too bad to myself. I may hate myself to the point where I'd go beyond just harm, but other people I care about don't, so my hands are tied until I lose all rationality. And I've kept at least shreds of rationality for over a decade, so... I'm not in too much immediate danger.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-12-01, 08:36 PM
It's okay. I don't generally do anything too bad to myself. I may hate myself to the point where I'd go beyond just harm, but other people I care about don't, so my hands are tied until I lose all rationality. And I've kept at least shreds of rationality for over a decade, so... I'm not in too much immediate danger.

Mkays. =\

*hugs tight* I'd miss you, too! *ties your hands* >.>

Thes Hunter
2010-12-03, 10:11 AM
My past self was the kind of cocky, narcissist that can only come from extremely low self-esteem.

So I am sure my past self would be both impressed and dismissive of my current achievements. I am sure my past self would think "Of course I made it, of course I am doing well, it's ME, and I know I'll do great things one day."

And my past self would then continue hating herself, and wondering why she was such a screw up, and continuing the maladaptive self-destructive behaviors that have put me through a lot of ordeals over the years, and would have completely missed the point.

In that I had to stop hating myself, had to stop thinking that I could "never do anything right" and start believing in my own decisions (while of course holding myself accountable for those decisions), and stop worrying about what my anxiety filled family might criticize me for not knowing in hindsight.

So while I would love to go back and tell my past self all the things I have learned, because it all seems so simple now, it's all so clear how I caused myself so much pain, I understand that I would not have listened, and I needed to take the course I took to get where I am today.

WalkingTarget
2010-12-03, 10:28 AM
Undergraduate Me: Hey! Look at you! Have you lost weight? :smallsmile:

Present Me: Yeah, about 60 lbs. :smallbiggrin:

UM: Wow! What else have I been up to?

PM: Well, I finally got around to applying to grad school, so I'm busy with that now.

UM: I had wondered about that. Library Science?

PM: You know it.

UM: So... uh... that program was always mostly female. Anything going on there. :smallwink:

PM: Just the usual, too much of a wuss to actually tell anybody how I feel. :smallfrown:

UM: I hear that. Wait... "anybody"... like, more than one? :smallconfused:

PM: ...uh, yeah, I hang out with a bunch of intelligent, attractive, young women on a regular basis these days. I feel like a heel for having a crush on a few of them at the same time. :smallredface:

UM: ...

PM: Why are you looking at me like that? :smalleek:

*UM kills PM to take his place, worries after the fact that none of PM's clothes fit him*

smellie_hippie
2010-12-03, 11:30 AM
My past-self would probably be alright with how things look to have turned out. Present-self would also be very understanding of all the issues past-self had to endure to be the person her is (a.k.a. What Thes said a few posts back).

But this is a thread about advice for our past-selves to presumably improve the quality of our present-selves. So here it is...

15 year old self: Study more. It's mucy easier to have good opportunities when you work towarsd that curse word of "potential" rather than just getting by. Also, practice guitar a lot more. You can play but if you practiced you might be awesome.

20 year old self: Have fun doing the things you have gotten involved with, but take it easy. Don't drop out of college because it will make things a little more difficult.

20-23 year old self: I would tell you to slow down ont he drugs and alcohol, but I think you need to hit rock bottom. It's gonna suck, but you're not gonna quit screwing around until you scare the hell out of yourself. Just go ahead and do it, but please be careful.

25 year old self: There are two girls you date whose names start with a "K". I am not going to tell you not to, because you need the life lesson but it's gonna suck. The right girl is out there, but it will take a little while yet for her to meet you. It's ok.

28 year old self: THAT'S THE GIRL!!! She will make you happier than you could ever imagine, but take care of her better from day one. It's an awesome thing and you will both be happy together, but don't rest on the laurels of someone else's screw ups. If you've been listening to my advice over the past 13 years, you should be smarter, happier and more talented. You should also be pretty focused on follow-through, so get to it.

Current self: Read back through this list you just wrote. It's pretty good advice, and if you follow it now you won't have to have this conversation with yourself when you're 50!!!

Coplantor
2010-12-03, 02:58 PM
Let's see, 15 year old self would look at me and say: You really listen to that crap?

See, when I was 15, it was all about Metallica, Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Today I still love those bands, I even listen to heavier stuff, but I also enjoy lady gaga and the backsteet boys, and I have quite a collection of oldies.

Curiously enough, 10 year old self would look at both current me and 15 year old me and say the same thing, I remember being a kid and thinking metal was for crazy violent people.

Also, both those previous me would beat me to a pulp if they knew I have a wii yet I barely play it.

Oh, and 15 year old me also hated on line forums, he thought it was a serious waste of time.

As a last point, 5 year old me would be really sad to find out that I'm not a mad scientist decided to take over the world.

Recaiden
2010-12-03, 03:54 PM
Well, my new self is more comfortable with who he is. He has more friends. He has a social life.

I think my old self would be jealous. The loser.

Yeah. My old self would probably end up in tears. Though if he didn't, we'd have an awesome time together.

I'd look at him and tell him to GET THE HELL OUT OF TEXAS RIGHT NOW IT'S A TRAP.
Ah. Luckily, my old self already knew that.

You remember what I was like on this forum a while back? I was a little punk, man. :smallyuk::smallcool:

Oh, 2008 Moffley. :smalltongue:

Now, I have a few pieces of advice for certain younger selves.
4 Year old - Forget about the toy dinosaur.
5 Year old - Yes, 'r' is a letter.
6-16 Year old - ... What? You're on your own, kid. Good luck, 'cause life is going to suck.
17 Year old - I'm from the future, and so you're going to believe everything I say and it's going to fix your life a lot faster than you could do it on your own...

Concrete
2010-12-05, 09:20 PM
If my fifteen year old self met me, he would probably be impressed, as I am a bigger, stronger, smarter version of him...
Then he would become extremely depressed as he found me to be just as socially incompetent, arrogant and and weird as himself, and throw a hissyfit, at which point our conversation would be brought to an end by my fist colliding with his face.

Rob Roy
2010-12-05, 11:22 PM
I'd tell my past self to avoid California. It'll screw you over big time. My past self would call me a moron and start ranting about how he's better than me in every way, shape, and form. I used to be quite the narcissist.

Trellan
2010-12-06, 08:45 AM
Hmmm, my past self would probably be disappointed that I didn't make it into JET, but happy that I got a teaching job in Japan regardless. He would then probably start berating me for not trying harder so that I actually could have gotten my first choice. Also for not being better at Japanese. I've always been a bit demanding of myself :smalleek:

Lillith
2010-12-06, 08:58 AM
If there was a time machine thing I'd probably get it to try and send all the test answers to myself and all the source material I'm going to need for projects.

But I'd only do that with the me of like, this past school year. :smallbiggrin:

Stadge
2010-12-07, 06:27 PM
My past self of two years ago, would be surprised, reassured and potentially angry I think.

Surprised and potentially angry at how well present me is dealing with the loss that past me will have just had. Definitly reasurred that the interview he'll be having soon ends well and he does make it to Cambridge after all.

Other than those two key things which tie into what's happening to him in his present, I think past me would be pretty alright with how things are. In all honesty, I've not really changed that much in recent years, though I think the fact that he ends up being the guy in charge of colleg-based entertainment at his uni will come as a shock.

Giggling Ghast
2010-12-07, 07:05 PM
Young Self: So it never gets any better?

Present Self: No. Did you expect it would?

Young Self: I had hoped.

Present Self: That wasn't enough. If you really wanted things to get better, you would have made it happen.

Young Self: You can't give me any advice?

Present Self: You think it would help?

Obscurejones
2010-12-07, 07:12 PM
My past self would realize that while I'm definitely not where he'd hoped we'd be I'm definitely in a better place than I could, or even should, have been. I like to think he'd realize that I'm the best possible outcome of his actions.

And he'd be happy as heck that we finally got a girlfriend and some decent grades.

rakkoon
2010-12-08, 04:24 AM
10 year old self : DAMN I'm old (Yup)
15 year old self : are we ever getting a girl? (Yup)
18 year old self : Is this my one true love? (Hell no)
22 year old self : are you still working at the same place? (Yup, it gets better though)
30 year old self : Please tell me we stopped at two kids (Yup)

So I'm fairly happy

Lix Lorn
2010-12-08, 04:36 AM
Old Me: ...hi?
Now Me: ...wow, you're gonna be a real woobie soon. I wanna give you a hug already. :smallfrown: It gets better? A bit? In some ways?
Five Year Old me: (pops head up) Mm?
Me: Buy a doll house. It'll make some things so much easier.

loopy
2010-12-08, 05:03 AM
My younger self wouldn't believe that:

-I'm much more confident.
-I care about my appearance.
-I indulge in certain recreational substances.
-I'm so successful with people in general, and girls in particular.
-That I like to dance.
-That I can dance.
-That I've stopped playing as many video games.
-That I actually enjoy being around people.
-That I spent 2.5 years youth leading.

Theres probably more that I can't think of. This is all based off me at the end of high school meeting the me of today. I've changed a lot...

loopy
2010-12-08, 05:14 AM
I give up. Double post, sorry all.

Thanatos 51-50
2010-12-08, 06:06 AM
If Past Me met Present Me, Present Me would beat the crap out of Past Me.

The Succubus
2010-12-08, 09:33 AM
A while ago, I'd have said that past me would get a smack around the head from future me. Now, I'd just feel really sorry for the poor b*stard - he has a very long and very lonely road before he gets to where I am now. I'd tell him to have a little more faith in himself and to know that he will find someone who loves him. Past me would probably be annoyed that I never finished that mage alt in Warcraft.

Emperor Ing
2010-12-08, 09:43 AM
Well first i'd get into an epic political debate with myself just to get the self-satisfaction that i've come a long way. Then i'd tell me to invest HEAVILY against (Insert company that got effed during the financial crisis.)

MeatShield#236
2010-12-08, 09:00 PM
Present me would try to give advice to past me and past me would ask a lot of questions about what is going to happen. Past me would then exploit said information gained from the future for fun and profit. Present me would approve.

Lord Raziere
2010-12-09, 12:58 AM
My old self was an angry, stressed out person who got into too much trouble.

I calm and tranquil now, I am happy, and I am only this way now cause I figured it out on my own yesterday, messing with past might only mess up current me. would only say "Can't tell you. figure it out yourself. cya."

MoonCat
2011-01-07, 09:08 PM
Me two years ago would call me a computer addict who gave up her title of skirt wearing tomboy who never cared about how she looked (I'm still a tomboy, but by now I care about how I look). I would consider little me to be a hyper, socially inept, and really cutely innocent (I got cynical afterwards). But I'd probably not tell her that, because my self-esteem is still fragile and I like my past self.

But she'd still think I was crazy for wearing pants.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-07, 11:27 PM
I think I'd give the 12 year old me a slap in the face, tell him to apolgize to the right people, and keep going on with life w/o letting all the dumb people out in the world get to me.

And I think that's it really.

grimbold
2011-01-08, 03:46 PM
As a last point, 5 year old me would be really sad to find out that I'm not a mad scientist decided to take over the world.
my 5 year old self would be pretty thrilled to be me because im doing more or less that, but im not trying to take over the world or do anything illegal, just prove string theory ;P
but yeah 5 year old me would be like HALLELUJAH HE DID EVERYTHING I WANTED TO DO sort of...
5 year old me-he plays guitar now and listens to loud music yay! and he lives in paris yay!

10 year old me-he plays guitar now and listens to loud music, music is for violent people or stupid people depending on the genre. String theory? how interesting let me share some ideas with you on that. he lives in paris, that sucks

13 year old me-he plays guitar YES! and he has a metal blog (which you should really read) YES, but he's in paris, CRAP!

DraPrime
2011-01-08, 04:04 PM
If I met myself from when I was fifteen or sixteen, the younger me would be a bit surprised at the fact that I ended up in seminary, but not much. The idea was already floating around in my head, but it was slowly dying, and well, girls. Once I explained how I totally decided that I didn't want to go over the next couple years, and then changed my mind at the last moment, he would no doubt spare a lot of last minute work by making the decision at least a month earlier.

Finally, I would tell him that yes, having to shave every day is annoying, just as I predicted back then. The satisfaction that he would have from having guessed right would totally make him forget that this is a lifetime annoyance. :smalltongue:

Lord Loss
2011-01-08, 04:29 PM
My past self would be very impressed with my current self. My present self (15) would think of my past self (12ish) as an annoying, attention seeking brat. I have kept my taste in music (Pink Floyd, Bon Jovi, Linkin Park, AC/DC, etc.) but past self would dissaprove of the few rap songs I have added to the mix. As for my even younger self (before 3rd Grade), we would get along very, very well.

I say third grade because that's when I switched schools and got bullied which led to my self esteem dropping, which made me feel a constant need to prove myself/seek attention, all of which I have almost completely flushed from my system.

Xiander
2011-01-09, 01:28 AM
If i met myself from three years ago, i would quickly tell myself to forget about all the smalltalk and help me find some inspiration for a plot or storyline. Knowing both past and present me it would most probably lead to us spending the nex forty eight ours comming up with an entire campaign setting... i work better when i have someone to talk with. :smallsmile:

Mikhailangelo
2011-01-09, 08:18 AM
I don't know how he'd view me, but I'd almost certainly view him as an idiot, as Sam Vimes in Night Watch famously observed; you then is different to you now, because you then is a twit who knows nothing.

Ah, the power of hindsight...

thubby
2011-01-09, 08:30 AM
my past self would probably be relieved that all the crap wrong with me has hugely effective treatments and that they won't rule my life.

personality wise, he'd be shocked at my change in religion. aside from that, I'm fundamentally the same person i was. i never had some grand upheaval in my life where I'd say "holy crap i was like that?!"

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-09, 08:58 AM
I'd smack my past self and tell me to stop being lazy and do the gorram work needed to get decent grades, get an internship and actually start caring about what happens after college.
This wouldn't have any effect on my past self, except "Wow, time travel!"

CoffeeIncluded
2011-01-09, 09:15 AM
I think my past self would be pretty proud of me.

Zanaril
2011-01-09, 09:18 AM
If my past self met my present self, there would be hot makeouts.

On a slightly more serious note (not that I wasn't being serious before), there's nothing I'd want to tell my past self that could make any difference. Everything that has happened in my life is part of who I am now, and to be honest I'd be scared to try and change that.

Mauve Shirt
2011-01-09, 09:21 AM
Of course, then I have the problem that I've created an alternate timeline and I don't know if I'd exist anymore. I guess I would, I'd just be a happier person 'cause I wouldn't be so disappointed in myself. But a bunch of things would probably be different, because that's how these things work.

Hell Puppi
2011-01-09, 11:01 PM
Past self: "Do I ever get jeans that fit me?'

Now Self: *looks down* "Nope."

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 11:12 PM
Give myself a hug. I was feeling pretty insecure a lot of my past.

Oh, and avoid treading on ants.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-09, 11:26 PM
I just wanna restate, again: this isn't so much about giving your past self advice, because Down That Road Madness Lies, but more about what your past self would think. I just think that's a better question in general. More interesting, but I'm not one to tell you how to post.

My past self would be disgusted that I'm now a bassist. >:3

Form
2011-01-10, 06:36 AM
My past and present self would not get along. At all.

Dvandemon
2011-01-10, 02:34 PM
What would happen? Say, if Chumley two years younger were to run into me, he'd be utterly disgusted. I'm wearing purple skinny jeans, listening to hip-hop, FFRPing, and IMing. All of which disgusted my past self.

So how'd your past self view you?

As a giant nerd that's never been happier and more unfulfilled. A massive disappointment

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-10, 02:38 PM
My past self would be disappointed but not surprised that I'm still the antisocial butt-bag that I was back then.

Nomrom
2011-01-10, 09:31 PM
Past self would probably be pissed off to find that present self is still single.

Cealocanth
2011-01-10, 11:21 PM
As I've said before, my mast self would most likely hate me. And the feeling would be mutual. I've always said, if I were ever to meet myself, I'd absolutely hate it because he'd always fill the position in the social pyramid that I do better than me.

Although it would be nice to have someone to swordfight with. No one ever practices with me anymore. I'm sure I'd hit a little too hard, though, and expose a weak spot that I'll take advantage of, only for him to swing back around to deflect my blade and end up wacking me in the face. Then I'd tell my past self to be careful, and he'll basically ignore it. We'd continue fighting and then he'd switch to a spear, in which I'd pick up a second sword. He'd start backing away ans thrusting too hard, and I'd throw the spear off balance and go for the heart, then he'd bring the spear back up and back up at the same time, wacking me in the head again with the hilt of the spear. I'd ask him to knock it off, he'd ignore it, and thus the cycle continues...

Yeah, I think I know how I handle a blade too well.

dgnslyr
2011-01-10, 11:45 PM
I'd cast manifest Mind Seed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/mindSeed.htm) on myself, so I could be a few years ahead in school. I guess being a bit more mature earlier on would be helpful, but having already taken classes and having a better taste in games is MUCH more important than silly things like maturity. :smalltongue:

Saithis Bladewing
2011-01-10, 11:47 PM
My past self would be frustrated that I haven't fixed all my life's problems yet. :smalltongue:

Ytaker
2011-01-10, 11:50 PM
I'd try to give my past self some concrete facts so that they could avert recent major distastors.

I'd like myself any age after 12. I was a total douchebag before then. I changed myself around for various reasons.

For'Ninniach
2011-01-11, 07:27 PM
My self 2 (and a half) years ago,
Let's just go back to 12. Cause 13 isn't as fun.
At 12 I was trying to fit in with everybody. What was that, 8th 6th grade?
Dude.
I remember I listened to Hannah Montana and the Jonas Brothers. I didn't care about my hair, and I still loved my parents dearly. I was really awkward around boys. And I was a n00b. I remember longing for diversity and a gay best friend. And wanting to look punk.
(13 is where I started to hate everything)
... i think I had a boyfriend then? He was so awesome. We're still friends.

So,me 2 years ago (if I saw me now) would probably be like
"...YUS."
I'm proud of what I've become. :smallcool:

Moved out of my old town (small town, small minds), and now am in a bigger city, with over 2000 kids at my school.
*victory faise*
I am, right now, wearing ripped skinnies, studded belt, black long-sleeved shirt, and an argyle sweater vest. My best friend is an uberleet gamer (NO MORE N00BNESS), and Unosarta is my other best friend. (Yay for gay best friends). I'm good friends with 2 foreign exchange students (YAY DIVERSITY!), Plus. My math class doesn't suck anymore.
I'm pretty happy with my life since then.
But the downside is I hate strongly dislike my mom. >.>
But, she brought that on herself.

ANYWAY.
Yus.
Just to add: 2 years into the future I hope to be happy, and on my way to becoming more happy. Honestly, I don't care about anything more, tbh.

Edit:
For some reason I always think that I was 11 in 5th grade.
So,
7th grade I was 12.

unosarta
2011-01-12, 12:06 AM
@For'Ninniach: I love how your twelve year old self longed for a GBF, and now that you have one, you look back on her with loathing. :D

If I looked back on my past self....

I would tell him to shut up and stop moping, FFS. Also, that trying to fit in obviously didn't work, get a new tack in life.

The past me was kind of a stupid head. :smallsigh:

Moff Chumley
2011-01-12, 12:13 AM

Funny how that happens. :smallsigh:

For'Ninniach
2011-01-12, 08:20 AM
I would tell him to shut up and stop moping, FFS. Also, that trying to fit in obviously didn't work, get a new tack in life.

Yay for weirdos!

unosarta
2011-01-12, 08:22 AM
Funny how that happens. :smallsigh:

Very, and unfortunately, true. Fortunately, past me met some people who whipped him into shape early on, so he wasn't too much of an idiot.

Moff Chumley
2011-01-13, 01:03 AM
Perhaps I'm idealizing something that happens anyway, but the playground is at least partially responsible for turning past me into present me.

That statement has several layers, levels of meaning. Reccy knows what I'm talkin' about. :smallcool:

Prince Zahn
2011-01-15, 01:09 PM
I'm pretty sure My past self would not care to try to get to know me... neither would he believe he'll be me in a matter of years...

but assuming he believes me, he will probably see me as a goody-two-shoes-and-overall-boring person, who keeps "Actual" fun as brief and infrequent as he can...

honestly, past me was a brat.
not anymore, but...was...

THAC0
2011-01-15, 05:04 PM
Past self would be completely shocked about some things.

Past self would also be very proud, once they got over their shock.

TimelordSimone
2011-01-15, 10:36 PM
I think my past self would be impressed with how much confidence I have compared to him.
He'd probably be less impressed with how awful I am at keeping in touch with old (ie his) friends.

Also hopefully he'd decide to cut his hair. Short hair suits us!

DaMidget
2011-01-15, 11:14 PM
I would have to go with meeting the 16-17 year old me, and I would have to sneak up on him with a set of clippers, wouldn't even be able to talk to him with his hair all long like that.

After the initial shock wore off I would slap him silly, take the pizza box from his hands, and give him some gym clothes. All of this would make things easier on us in the future.

I think past me would get the message, though he would probably laugh that despite the many advances I've made in my social life, I still cant get a girlfriend. Though now I can at least blame it on a language barrier heh.

truemane
2011-01-15, 11:26 PM
It's funny how, as you get older, these phases get longer and longer. It just so happens I've made some serious and long-term life-changes in the past half-year, but the five to ten before that were all pretty much the same.

Myself two years ago? He'd be SHOCKED at some of things going on now. Pleased, I think, overall, but shocked. I'm 25 pounds lighter, so there's that anyway. But I still haven't finished the second draft of my second novel. SO that would make him shake his head and say bad words.