PDA

View Full Version : Iron Giant [3.5 Epic Destiny, PEACH]

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 02:23 PM
Iron Giant

http://images.hollywood.com/site/iron_giant.jpg

Whether it be by construction, or by a creation forge, or by the designs of Mechanus, or even the will of a godlike being, you are a warrior machine with nearly no equal, and you have grown to be a weapon that even the gods fear.

Requirements: 21st level, +15 BAB or more, Construct type (Living Constructs are fine).

{table=head]Level|Special

21st|Colossal Creation
24th|Skyshatter
27th|Deus Ex Machina
30th|Unending Mechanication[/table]

Titanic Creation (Ex): By one way or another, your body has grown into a titanic battlecruiser that dwarfs small towns. At 21st level, your Str and Con scores each increase by 4, and at 21st level and every level thereafter, you grow one size category larger to a maximum of Colossal. Also, while you are running, the land around you is suject to an Earthquake spell, centred on you (CL equal to your HD).

Skyshatter (Ex): Now that you have the need to swat clouds out of your eyes, you have learnt a skill that puts the fear of the gods into anything but madmen and the greatest deities. As a full-round action twice per day, you may pound on the sky or other similar atmosphere (as a rule, if fleshy meatbags can breath without assistance where you are, you may use this ability) and bring it crashing down on your foes heads. You deal 10d20 untyped damage to everything within a radius equal to Str Mod*20ft, and anyone seeing this act of power must succeed on a Will Save with a DC of 10 + HD/2 + Str Mod or become Panicked for an hour (allies are unaffected). Anyone failing this Will Save by 20 or more is driven permanently insane, as per the Insanity spell.

Deus Ex Machina (Ex): After many struggles, you finally transend the limits of what exists and what cannot, growing so large not even the laws of reality can hold you. You gain SR equal to your character level +15, and you may lower your SR to 0 and/or increase it back to normal as a Swift Action. Also, from now on, anytime you would make an attack roll, you may instead treat the result as a 10 instead of rolling.

Unending Mechanication (Ex): You are beyond simple deaths now, with only the most mind-boggling attacks capable of felling you. You gain Regeneration 5 (this replaces any other Regeneration you have), and the only way you can die is by taking non-lethal damage equal to 3x your hit point total (which sends you unconcious, and disables your Regeneration until you wake up), and then Wish or Miracle being cast on your battered body, with the request specifically asking for you to stay dead. If you take enough damage to send you unconcious, but do not have Wish/Miracle cast on your body within 7 rounds, you awaken with all non-lethal damage healed, as your body takes the time to ajust and fix your battered innards. If you are immune to non-lethal damage, as alot of machines tend to be, you still take non-lethal damage from your Regeneration as normal, ignoring any immunities.

Immortality: Limit Breaker
You now become so expansive that even death will not touch you, and you keep growing, endlessly. Although conventional metals can't take the strain of lightyears worth of weight, you take more abstract consepts into your form, such as hope, dreams, and victory. And if it passes your fancy, you can take time out of your sparring with Elder Evils and Overdeities, bend down as low as possible, strain your eyes as hard as you can, spy apon the now tiny gods that allowed for your creation, and chuckle in delight. For you are now a colossus of power, beyond their control.

Comments:
This guy is supposed to be the toughest, most gigantic guy on the Material Plane and beyond it. Sure, you can try to hurt him, but he'll hit you back. Again. And Again. And Again. He will tear down your Genesis'd demiplanes, punch though your Prismatic Walls, smack your endless Solars sideways, and then he will crush you like the meatbag you are.

Also, i've never done an Epic Destiny before, so bear with me. Mkay?

Zeta Kai
2010-11-27, 02:29 PM
Jeez, overpowered much? This is certainly cool, but I don't see how this is usable in its current form. All those immunities are also very cheap, lazy, Nuh-uh abilities. I've played many epic games at levels that dwarf LV30, & something like this makes the game unplayable well before that. I don't see the benefit of letting any player have the power to collapse the game in a catastrophic I-WIN when an ED is designed to shape epic play, not destroy it.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 02:38 PM
Eh. I've never played much further than Lv25 because of the damned resident munchkin I play with, to be honest. What's the highest level you've gotten up to? I have a good idea on how to change it, though, so give me a min.

Zeta Kai
2010-11-27, 03:33 PM
I DMed a game in which my player fought a version of this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5512489#post5512489). With its arms regenerating one round after being destroyed. And won.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 04:39 PM
What in the nine hells?!
[calms down]
So, is it balanced now?*

I havn't got the best knowledge on Epic Levels, because we only played an Epic Campaign for two sessions before the Munchkin's Hulking Hurler build got on the DM's nerves so much he attacked the player with a pillow until the munchkin swore never to break his games again, and then we rebooted the campaign setting for good measure.

Innis Cabal
2010-11-27, 04:48 PM
What in the nine hells?!
[calms down]
So, is it balanced now?*

I havn't got the best knowledge on Epic Levels, because we only played an Epic Campaign for two sessions before the Munchkin's Hulking Hurler build got on the DM's nerves so much he attacked the player with a pillow until the munchkin swore never to break his games again, and then we rebooted the campaign setting for good measure.

Not in the slightest. Never being able to die (not even then) as a cap stone...no, this isn't balanced.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 04:49 PM
Bleh, i'll see what I can do then. He's still gonna be hard to kill, mind you.

Orzel
2010-11-27, 05:44 PM
Yeah, this big puppy is broken. That capstone is a bit much even if only on a NPC.

Fluffwise, that 27th level class feaute just makes it pretty much unkillable to many then hunted and killed by everyone who could.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 05:58 PM
For the record, I want the capstone to function like the Tarasque's ability, only a bit better. And the 27th ability just means only epic monsters can kill an epic character.

So.........i'll have to edit the abilities. Again :smallsigh:

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 06:24 PM
I am poor judge at balance (with my fondness for overpowered things) and even more at epic, but... 50d20 of untyped damage at will? And no save? even a 24 level casters only have so much spell slots to spend. And I think I have heard several times around here on how a no save effect is something that must not be so easily thrown around.

And the 27th ability just means only epic monsters can kill an epic character.

Then get rid that always 20 thing. If your purpose is giving him some epic immunity why the heck you give a such powerful offensive ability on the same level? Those abilities leave Blade of Ragnarok in the dust. Oh, may be better if you specify immunity? Immunity to all spells that allow SR or flat-out anti magic?

double STR and CON is also too much. A Demigod only got... i forgot.. was it +2?

I have little knowledge about epic levels power as well, but you can always try to compare with other epic destinies, from Wotc and homebrewed here.

Lateral
2010-11-27, 06:29 PM
Yeah, this is... this is just insane.

Cool tho.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 06:33 PM
Well if people would help me out with suggestions, I would know why.
Getting vague reasons why it's broken and little advice on how to fix it isn't helping, guys.

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 06:37 PM
([STR+CON]*10)m

Minor, it should be in feet. And I apologizes if my post above come a bit too strong. It just, well, extraordinary homebrew provokes extraordinary reaction :smallwink:

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 06:41 PM
To be fair, your the exeption to the rule, in that you told me specifically what was wrong, so no worries. And as for feet we British use metric! Metric! *changes it*

EDIT: Right, I edited it AGAIN with a Nerfstorm. Better? Worse? Still needs tweaking?

Orzel
2010-11-27, 06:47 PM
5 rounds is pretty fast for reawaken. 10 rounds is long enough for nonwishers to run for their lives.

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 06:47 PM
I thought that was feet, miles, pound ect was British invention? :smallconfused: In Asia we use metric as well. Can't understand silly americans and their silly measurement system.

Anyway, looking at ED by Krimm Blackleaf and The Demented one, probably better if the DC follow the formula 10+1/2 HD+ ability mod rather that flat out 5o (which i think may be too high at level 24, especially for an at-will)

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 06:51 PM
Actual help! Yay! And I always forget to make stuff stack, so I shall do that
@ Orzel
People have epic campaigns WITHOUT a arcanist? Thoes people must be brave/mad/Chuck Norris.

Runestar
2010-11-27, 06:52 PM
I don't see what's the big deal about being nigh unkillable. At epic lvs, death is just a 10-minute pit-stop anyways, what with clerics throwing true-res around like no tomorrow. :smallmad:

If you ask me, I would stagger the size increase, using the giant size spell in CA as a baseline. You first become huge, then gargantuan and finally colossal. The stat increases will definitely need to improve as well. As per the spell, being colossal grants +32str and +12con, and perhaps aim for somewhere around there? :smallsmile:

Overpowered, you say? Compared to what? Epic spellcasters? :smalltongue:

Orzel
2010-11-27, 06:57 PM
An epic devil's henches aren't automatically arcanists who can spam wish.

And you did drop sky on people.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 06:58 PM
Runestar: You have a good point. Saving the party healer True Rez is always nice. I would really like it to gan Colossal size quickly, so it'll be smaller at
21st level.....slightly.

Also, just throwing this out to you all - How about, if the Iron Giant had a high enough CON/Will Save, not even Wish/Miracle could keep him dead?

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 07:07 PM
Colossal Creation(Ex): By one way or another, your body has grown into a titanic battlecruiser that dwarfs small towns. Your size becomes Colossal, and your STR and CON increase by 5. If you are already Colossal sized, you grow to Colossal+ instead. Also, while you are running, the land around you is suject to an Earthquake spell, centred on you (Cl equal to your HD).

Made it +4. Stat boost should always even.

Skyshatter(Ex): Firstly, if you are not already Colossal+, you now grow to Colossal+ size. Next, now that you have the need to swat clouds out of your eyes, you have learnt a skill that puts the fear of the gods into anything but madmen and the greatest deities. As a full-round action, you may pound on the sky or other similar atmosphere (as a rule, if fleshy meatbags can breath without assistance where you are, you may use this ability) and bring it crashing down on your foes heads. You deal 10d20 untyped damage to everything within a radius equal to ([STR+CON]*10)ft, and anyone seeing this act of power must succeed on a DC 50 Will Save or be Panicked for 4 hours (allies are unaffected). Anyone failing this will save by 25 or more is driven permanently insane, as per the Insanity spell.

Str/Con score or modifier? Score is too much and there almost no special ability existed that based on ability score (if any). Still I think it should be limited somehow. If you can give AoE damage without save whenever you want why bother with normal attacks?

Deus Ex Machina(Ex): After many struggles, you finally transend the limits of what exists and what cannot, growing so large not even the laws of reality can hold you. You become immune to all arcane and divine magic that isn't a cast with a CL of 20th or higher, and from now on, anytime you would make an attack roll, you may treat the result as a 10 instead of rolling.

Okay take 10 is a lot tamer than take 20.

Why immunities instead of high SR? SR can be made with formula that scale with level. Additionally, take note that SR/immunities is often seen as hindrace. (it block your allies spells as well)

Unending Mechanication(Ex): You are beyond simple deaths now, with only the most mind-boggling attacks capable of felling you. You gain Regeneration 5 (this replaces any other Regeneration you have), and the only way you can die is by taking non-lethal damage equal to double your hit point total (which sends you unconcious, and disables your Regeneration until you wake up), and then Wish or Miracle being cast on your battered body, with the request specifically asking for you to stay dead. If you take enough damage to send you unconcious, but do not have Wish/Miracle cast on your body within 5 rounds, you awaken with all non-lethal damage healed, as your body takes the time to ajust and fix your battered innards. If you are immune to non-lethal damage, as alot of machines tend to be, you do take non-lethal damage from your Regeneration as normal, ignoring any immunities.

not sure about this... Immortal Hero live again a day after he died and PF Oracle 20 with Heavens revelation got the same ability (with longer time) So, PC's ability to came live again is not that broken. But, again I dunno.

Even with the changes I suggest it mas still stronger than Wotc's EDs, but then I think the same of other EDs in this forum. We'll need input from more experienced member to fine tune the balance, but at least it will not look horribly broken again.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 07:12 PM
Hrrrrrrm. I can make thoes suggestions work. One moment *elevator music*

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 07:21 PM
Also, please be aware that immunities from arcane and divine magic means this guy is vulnerable to artificer (whose magic item is neither arcane nor divine), Psionics, Incarnum, Incantations (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/index.php?title=Swordmage), and a bunch of alternate 'magic' system plus (Su) abilities (like breath weapons?). :smallwink:

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 07:23 PM
Oh, why oh why does this game have to be so diverse!

How could I give the Iron Giant a blanket immunity, then?

Salbazier
2010-11-27, 07:48 PM
Well, you can't. There always be some loophole. Frankly, I don't think you should. There is a reason why SR doesn't block some spells and why it does nothing to supernatural ability, after all.

My suggestion? Give it SR instead. it covers stuff like artificers and psionics generally played with Psionic-Magic-Transperency rule in effect. Maybe allowing it to be turned on/off as free (or immediate) actions (never like that standard action thingy, and there is not even a feat to fix that). If so, take out the take 10 stuff. Yes it was weaker now. but it will be three abilities on 1 level if its stays (and powerful abilities at that)

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 07:54 PM
Alright then, SR it is, but how much, and what formula shall/could I use? I'm thinking SR equal to your HD + 10, with a max of 30? More? Less?

Lateral
2010-11-27, 07:59 PM
At level 27? More. Much, much more. At least SR 37; that gives a 27th level caster a 50% chance of affecting you. Remember, SR is a double-edged sword, too, unless it's reduceable and reactivateable as a free action.

Yeah, 40 scaling sounds good. Not like 40+level, but like starting at 40 then going up every level after it's obtained, right?

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-27, 08:15 PM
I think i'll give it a an increasing SR that starts at SR 40, and make it at will to turn off/on, and you all have permission to tell me off it that's not enough.
Later. I have to go sleep now, so goodnight.

megabyter5
2010-11-28, 05:11 PM
Here's my thoughts on this:

1) It's open to constructs as well as living constructs, but the former has no CON score. Therefore, (STR+CON)*10 favors warforged much more than traditional constructs.

2) So it just... Grows? To Gargantuan? All at once? What is this I don't even... Maybe you should say something more like "At 21st level and every level thereafter, you grow one size category larger, to a maximum of Colossal". As it is, you become somewhere about three times as powerful all at once. And getting three times as powerful at 21st level is only for casters!

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-28, 05:22 PM
Yes and yes, megabyter. I guess it might be a bit too*BAM! YOUR MASSIVE!*
for some people and I completely forgot about the lack of CON. Will rectify.

gkathellar
2010-11-28, 05:23 PM
Deus Ex Machina still gets kind of ridiculous by 29th-30th level, and is a little bit awkward. Maybe SR (Level)+13? That's consistent with starting it at 40. Might even make sense to pump it up to SR (Level)+15-18, considering spell penetration feats.

Also, it bears noting that a character with this Epic Destiny is not a gun.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-28, 05:34 PM
OK then, if that's a bit more streamlined to you. And what do you mean by thr gun anology?

gkathellar
2010-11-28, 05:58 PM
Uh ... it's a line from the movie of the same name.

TheGeckoKing
2010-11-28, 06:01 PM
Really? I havn't watched the movie in AGES, like, 3 years or so. I'll watch it again after I get round to watching Saving Private Ryan (for the first time, too!)