PDA

View Full Version : Soul Collector version 2.0 plus feats D&D 3.5 please peach

Erevar
2010-11-28, 12:08 AM
I would like to thank M-Bark for giving my some ideas by making his prestige class the tomebinder librarian which can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9541380&postcount=21) also thanks need to go to Magicyop for the idea of the drawbacks.

Soul Collector
http://i.annihil.us/u/prod/marvel//universe3zx/images/3/3e/Eternals442.jpg
I can wait to put you into my collection.

Some people after a close brush with death develop the ability to see the souls of the recently deceased. However some of them develop a hole in their soul after nearly dying it is as if a part of their has in fact left them to go to the great beyond. This hole creates a hunger inside a yearning to be filled to be hole again. This drives most people mad and desperate to reunite with their missing part and eventually to suicide. But some may find a mentor who teaches them how to use the souls of the recently dead to fill the void and fill whole again. However the filling of emptiness does not go away it grows and more souls are needed to fill the void. And as the soul collector acquires more souls the more powerful he becomes by channeling the power of the souls he has collected.

ENTRY REQUIREMENTS

Alignment: Any Evil
Skills:Knowledge (religion) and (the planes) 8
Feat: Spirit Sense p.124 Heroes of Horror
Special: Must meet and receive training from another soul collector

Class Skills
Bluff, Gather Information, Intimidate, Knowledge(all),Hide,Move Silently, Listen, Spot, Sense motive, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Skills Points at Each Level: 4 + int

Hit Dice: d6
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+0|
+2|Soul receptacle,Soul Puppeteer, Soul drain.

2nd|
+1|
+3|
+0|
+3|Rebuke undead

3rd|
+2|
+3|
+1|
+3|Soul Puppeteer

4th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Knowledge of the Legion

5th|
+3|
+4|
+1|
+4|Soul Puppeteer, Voices of the Legion.

6th|
+4|
+5|
+2|
+5|Impure Soul Resurrection

7th|
+5|
+5|
+2|
+5|Soul Puppeteer

8th|
+6|
+6|
+2|
+6|Legion Warrior

9th|
+6|
+6|
+3|
+6|Soul Puppeteer

10th|
+7|
+7|
+3|
+7|Eternal Soul,Soul Release[/table]

Weapon Proficiencies: A Soul Collector gains no new weapon or armor proficiencies.

Soul receptacle: One of the first things soul collectors learns is how to combine other souls with their own and imprison them inside the void. When a creature dies near the soul collector he may attempt to absorb their soul into his own. When a creature dies in the vicinity of the soul collector, as a standard action, he makes a will save roll which is opposed by the creature's will saving throw . If the creature has more HD than the soul collector, it receives +1 to its roll for each HD above the soul collector's. If the creature succeeds then it is free to pass on to whatever fate awaits it, otherwise it is trapped within the soul collector. A soul collector may absorb 10 HD of creatures per Soul collector level which represents his continuing desire to fill the gap inside his soul which is constantly growing. He may voluntarily release souls, which are then allowed to pass on.

Creatures which do not have souls or whose souls are not in their corporeal body when they die cannot be targets for the soul collector's soul receptacle ability otherwise it is up to the DM to determine which creatures are eligible targets for this ability. I would suggest animals, magical beast , vermin, humanoids, monstrous humanoids, dragons, fey and outsiders.

Soul Puppeteer: Once a creature is trapped inside the soul collector it is at his mercy . The Collector may then use this connection in order to draw power from the creatures trapped within. Each soul collector usually manifests different abilities. The Soul Collector can change souls using a standard action. Each time he can only use one of the souls, and the soul can make a will save opposed by the soul collector's will save. If the soul inside succeeds, it prevents the soul collector from using its powers for a week. The soul collector may only establish a soul link to one soul at a time and that soul must have the same HD or less than the Soul Collector's. If the Soul Collector attempts to use the soul of a creature which has more HD than him, the soul receives a +1 bonus to its will save for each HD it has above the soul collector, if it succeeds on its will save, then the soul with more HD than the soul collector is set free and passes on, if however the soul collector wins the check then he can use that soul like any other. Each time the soul collector establishes a soul link to one of the souls he can then apply only one of his abilities to that soul. You gain one ability at level 1 and one more at levels 3,5,7,9. The usual abilities which soul collectors usually manifest are:

Convertible: The Soul Collector takes on aspects of the souls he has bound in his physical stature. He gains the Outsider type while connecting to an evil outsider and gains any subtypes of the soul he connects to. If the soul he is connected to is larger than him, he gains Powerful Build. For every two size categories the soul is larger than him, the Soul Collector grows one size category and gains a +2 size bonus to Strength for each increase in size. If the soul is smaller than him, he gains Sleight Build. For every two size categories the soul is smaller than him, the Soul Collector shrinks one size category and gains a +2 size bonus to Dexterity for each decrease in size. The Soul Collector can choose not to be affected by this ability.

Defences: The Soul Collector gains any immunities the soul has, as well as its energy resistances, spell or power resistance, damage reduction, natural armour and save bonuses.

Dual-wielding souls: The Soul Collector gains the ability to connect to two souls he has imprisoned within his soul . Both souls may not have more HD than the Soul Collectors character level - 2. If the Souls’ abilities overlap, the Soul Collector gains the better one. If these abilities have a use limit (like a certain spell-like ability x/day), add the two values together.

Empower self (Sp): The Soul Collector can empower himself physically and mentally using the strength of the imprisoned soul. He gains the soul’s ability modifiers as an enhancement bonus to his own respective score. (E.g. he gets the soul’s Strength bonus as an enhancement bonus to his Strength score and the soul’s Wisdom bonus as an enhancement bonus to his Wisdom score.)

Extraordinary abilities (Ex): The Soul Collector gains the ability to use all the Soul’s extraordinary abilities.

Natural abilities: The Soul Collector gains the creature’s natural skill bonuses, natural weapons, weapon and armour proficiencies and bonus feats. Skill bonuses from multiple souls (as per dual-wielding souls) stack. If the weapon proficiencies overlap, you gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls with that weapon. If the armour proficiencies overlap, you gain a +2 bonus to armour class while wearing that armour.

Psi-/Spell-Like abilities (Ps/Sp):The Soul Collector gains the ability to use all the trapped soul’s psi-like and spell-like abilities.

Soul casting: The Soul collector channels a souls magical ability. In order to do so the soul collector must have at least as many HD as the caster level of the spell caster. Furthermore because the soul collector is only tapping at the souls ability to cast spells he may only cast one spell from each spell level in addition to any slots the soul collector gets because of a high modifier to his casting stat. The soul collectors spell casting ability is based on his charisma score and he learns spells exactly like the spell caster whose soul he is using. In order to regain his spells the soul collector must rest as normal and succeed at a will save roll of a DC 10+ the spell casting level of the soul he wants to use. His caster level is equal to the souls caster level.

Supernatural abilities (Su): The Soul Collector gains the ability to use all the trapped creature’s supernatural abilities.
[B]

Soul drain: However having a part of your soul away leads you to eating the power of the souls the other creature's you have collected inside you. You slowly start draining the power you need to continue to exist from the other souls inside you. As soon as you collect your first soul you start to feed from it draining its power each HD the soul has is one more day you get to eat from it. At the point you finish eating from a soul it is utterly destroyed and can only be brought back using a wish or miracle. After you finish eating a soul another soul is chosen based on its HD, starting from the soul which has at that time the most HD from the number of creature's you have inside you. If you ever run out of souls you fall into a coma until another being dies near you at which point you are able to harvest its soul.

Rebuke undead: The Soul Collector's close connection to souls gives him a measure of power over the souls of the undead. He gains the Rebuke Undead class feature as a cleric of his Soul Collector's class level. The number of undead he may have under his control is equal to 4x his level in this prestige class.

Knowledge of the Legion:The Soul Collector may tap into the combined knowledge of the souls he has gathered and seek answers to his questions. This ability function like the bardic knowledge ability of the bard.

Voices of the Legion:Having so many souls inside has slowly started to affect you as you always hear them whispering inside your head. The first side effect this had it is that you alignment changes to one step closer to the alignment of the strongest creature you have inside you ( This is based on the HD total of a creature). Furthermore because inside dwell may souls every time you fall a sleep or seeing visions there is 1 in 10(determined by rolling a d10) chance that due to reliving the bad experiences of the souls inside you you wont be able to gain any rest. This means that you do not gain any benefits for resting this includes regaining spells, daily abilities or restoring any hit point or ability damage.

Impure Soul Resurrection(Sp): The Soul Collector may temporary bring a creature whose soul he has under his control back to life. Once per encounter for a number of rounds equal to his 3+ Charisma modifier he can bring the soul back to life under his command, this ability does not require a body. The creature has the same stats as it had before it died and it is fully healed, once the soul is out of the Soul Collector, the soul collector cannot use his soul puppeteer ability to that soul. However once the duration expires, he must force the soul back into his own soul using again a Will save check opposed by the captured soul’s will save. If the soul makes this will save, then not only is it free but it can turn against the soul collector with its new body. All the souls being brought back using this ability gain the native outsider subtype as their soul effectively becomes their body like an outsiders.

Legion Warrior: The souls now gathered inside the soul collector afford him some insight into the souls of his opponents, which he can use to channel to either his defence or his attack or to damage vital areas of his opponents body. He may add his charisma modifier as an insight bonus to his AC or to his Attack or Damage rolls. He may change where he has placed the bonus as a swift action.

Eternal Soul: The soul collector's soul has become so strong that it simply refuses to die, every time he dies he loses one of the souls inside him as it forms a cell from which he is reborn at a place where there is a large gathering of souls, like a cemetery. Each time the soul collector dies his body reforms after 1d10 days at the closest gathering of souls and one of the souls inside him is destroyed as it serves as the substance for his new body. The soul or souls must have a total HD equal to his own, if the soul collector taps into a soul that has more HD than he has, that soul is destroyed. The Soul Collector also ceases to age.

Soul Release: The Soul Collector has reached the pinnacle of his power. He can for a short period of time he can use all of his abilities to the soul he has selected to channel, furthermore he can bring all or as many of them as he wants back using his impure soul resurrection ability. This ability last for a number of rounds equal to 3+his charisma modifier and can only be used once per week. Furthermore after using this ability the soul collector must make a will save equal to 10+ the number of souls he has in his soul or lose all of them. Any souls that came back using his impure soul resurrection ability,and remain after he fails his will saving throw, are free to act as they please.

Feats:

Vast Void:
Prerequisites: Soul Collector
You have lost an even bigger part of your soul than other soul collectors. This feat adds 10 extra HD to the total number of creature's worth of HD that you can imprison inside you. However your hunger is also bigger requiring you to eat to 2 HD pre day.

You may select this feat multiple times each time increasing you capacity but not the number of HD you need to eat each day. If you select this feat you may not choose the Big Soul feat.

Designate the One:
You are able to designate one soul from which you cannot feed unless you want to change that choice, this soul must also be one that you always channel. This also provides you with other benefits as in exchange for not eating this soul, it is responsible for keeping the other souls at bay while you sleep allowing you to rest normally. Also you alignment changes one step towards this souls alignment.

Selective eating:
Prerequisites: Designate the One
You have learned how to further control your appetite. You are able to choose from which soul you start eating.

Big Soul:
You have lost only a relative small portion of your souls. This feat reduces you HD capacity by 10 but also reduces your hunger you only have to eat 1 HD worth every 2 days.

You may select this feat multiple times each time decreasing you capacity and allowing you to spend 1 extra day to the number of days you can go without harvesting any power from a creature inside you. If you select this feat you may not choose the Vast Void feat.

Black prison:
Prerequisites: Soul Collector level 5
Once you have harvested a soul it is more difficult for it to get out because you have built a prison inside your soul which nothing can break out off. Every time you use of your abilities which requires you to roll an opposed will save, expect your soul receptacle ability, you roll two times and keep the better result.

Maintaining the Legion:
Prerequisites: Impure Soul Resurrection

You ability to maintain the souls you have imprisoned in its initial form is better than usual. You add 3 more rounds to the total of rounds you are able to bring a soul back to life.

You may select this feat multiple time each time adding 3 extra rounds to the duration of your impure soul resurrection ability.

Journeyman Soul Puppeteer:
Prerequisites:Soul Collector level 3
You may use an additional ability of your soul puppeteer choices to the same soul. This feat may be take once.

Expert Soul Puppeteer:
Prerequisites:Soul Collector level 6
You may use an additional ability of your soul puppeteer choices to the same soul. This feat may be take once and stacks with the Journeyman Soul Puppeteer feat.

Master Soul Puppeteer:
Prerequisites:Soul Collector level 9
You may use an additional ability of your soul puppeteer choices to the same soul. This feat may be take once and stacks with the Journeyman Soul Puppeteer feat and the Expert Soul Puppeteer feat.

Undead eater
Prerequisites: Tomb tainted soul
You are able to destroy undead creatures that you control with you rebuke undead ability and feed on the negative energies that it had. Eating undead provides you with nourishment for 1 day per 2 HD the undead creature had. During that period you do not need to eat a soul if you had started eating one then you may choose to stop, or continue if you want to destroy that soul completely however continuing does not provide you with any additional benefit.

Erevar
2010-11-29, 10:17 AM
Made some changes to the prestige class and added 3 more feats.

AugustNights
2010-11-30, 06:17 AM
No Diplomacy?
What sort of action is absorbing a soul, and what is its range?
So it can absorb higher HD souls, but it can't use them?
"Each time" is used a lot in Soul Puppeteer but I don't follow its meaning quite.
A lot of these powers seem very vague, specifics would be good.
If the Soul Collector must eat souls, what happens when it goes soulless for a year?
Does impure soul ressurection require a corpse?
I don't know if its just me, but I have a real hard time understanding how half of these mechanics work.
I think you may want to clean up your language a bit.
But it seems like it could be a super fun PrC.

Erevar
2010-11-30, 07:48 PM
where do you think the wording need to be rectified as to become more specific?

I clarified what type of action is absorbing a soul, however its range i guess would be that of the spirit sense feat which is basically eye sight.
I also mentioned what happens when he does not have any souls inside him, he goes into a coma. I also corrected what happens when he uses a higher HD soul and whether impure resurrection requires a corpse. Thank you for your feedback if there is anything else please tell me so i can clarify or change as required.

Erevar
2010-12-02, 04:20 PM
The great BUMP of justice

AugustNights
2010-12-04, 03:31 PM
Each soul collector usually manifests different abilities and as they progress they gain even more abilities from the souls they have trapped within themselves
This line doesn't make any sense to me.

Does the Will Save Against Soul Puppeteer also prevent a soul from being 'eaten?'

I'm confused by what a successful will save against Soul Puppeteer does, does it prevent the use of a soul for power, or does it free the soul?

The soul collector may only establish a soul link to one soul at a time and that soul must have the same HD or less than the Soul Collector's.
I see no reason, in this case, to absorb higher HD souls.

Dual Wielding Souls feels like it wants to be a separate ability rather than a soul-granted one.

A lot of the Soul-Puppeteer powers are very, very, very strong.

As soon as you collect your first soul you start to feed from it draining its power each HD the soul has is one more day you get to eat from eat.
Eat from it?

Dos he not eat the soul he is currently using? How can he change which soul he 'eats?'
Not without feats seems to be the answer... So its all luck? I'm not to keen on Luck where strategy could be used. But that's just me.

He creates Living Versions of the Souls without a Body? A ghost would seem more reasonable.. but also... more powerful... almost too powerful... maybe an incorporeal version? How do the souls gain bodies?

Soul Release is obscenely overpowered. It allows for this guy to abuse the heck out of monster abilities like crazy. Imagine the possibilities of having more than 1 of those powers, and then having 3 or more? It's wild. All ability score modifiers raised, abilities like dimension door at will, venom, sneak attack, its wild. Simply wild.
Even with the heavy restrictions and penalties, it's a destroy button if I have ever seen one.

Erevar
2010-12-04, 05:30 PM
OK made several changes which i hope clear some things changed how his soul release ability works hopefully it is less overpowered now. As for the soul puppeteer abilities i think you need to keep in mind that a soul collector will have the abilities of a level appropriate encounter most if not all of the time so i need more specific comments as to how or why do you think they are so powerful.

AugustNights
2010-12-05, 09:34 AM
Okay so this guy is available at L.6, so lets take a loot at monsters from CR 4 (mooks) to CR 20, and things that can be easily abused. Lets assume a human, but keep in mind halflings are going to love the easy growth even more.

Convertible: The Soul Collector takes on aspects of the souls he has bound in his physical stature. He gains the Outsider type while connecting to an evil outsider and gains any subtypes of the soul he connects to. If the soul he is connected to is larger than him, he gains Powerful Build. For every two size categories the soul is larger than him, the Soul Collector grows one size category and gains a +2 size bonus to Strength for each increase in size. If the soul is smaller than him, he gains Sleight Build. For every two size categories the soul is smaller than him, the Soul Collector shrinks one size category and gains a +2 size bonus to Dexterity for each decrease in size. The Soul Collector can choose not to be affected by this ability.
~ Gains Type
~ Gains Subtype
~ Grows or Gains Size Categories.

~ Large Creatures start at CR 1, so Powerful Build is super easy to get ahold of.

Large Animated Object Offers Powerful Build and the Construct Type, two very powerful Abilities before CR 3.

Nightmare offers Outsider Type, Evil Subtype, and Powerful build at CR 5.

Gargantuan Centipedes are CR 5, and would offer 2 size increases at L.6, and +4, as well as the Vermin Type. This could pretty easily be abused.

This ability on it's own offers quite a few bonuses, and offers some very powerful options very early on.

Defences: The Soul Collector gains any immunities the soul has, as well as its energy resistances, spell or power resistance, damage reduction, natural armour and save bonuses.

Any construct is going to be insane with this.
Any elemental, which are all low CR and Summonable are going to be insane with this.
Infact, this is pretty much handing over 'Immunity to whatever you hunt for' at 5th level.

Dual-wielding souls: The Soul Collector gains the ability to connect to two souls he has imprisoned within his soul . Both souls may not have more HD than the Soul Collectors character level - 2. If the Souls’ abilities overlap, the Soul Collector gains the better one. If these abilities have a use limit (like a certain spell-like ability x/day), add the two values together.
So this is the obvious option every time.
Further it doesn't have anything to do with drawing power from a soul, it has more to do with the Soul Collectors ability to wield souls. Like I said, it doesn't feel like it belongs here.

Empower self (Sp): The Soul Collector can empower himself physically and mentally using the strength of the imprisoned soul. He gains the soul’s ability modifiers as an enhancement bonus to his own respective score. (E.g. he gets the soul’s Strength bonus as an enhancement bonus to his Strength score and the soul’s Wisdom bonus as an enhancement bonus to his Wisdom score.)

Okay, this is crazy. Free ability boosts like mad. Anywhere between +1 to +5 to any given ability score regardless of CR. Easy 1 level dip for a spell caster. Now I have a +10, with many monsters more, to my Primary Casting Score, and some physical boosts as well.

Extraordinary abilities (Ex): The Soul Collector gains the ability to use all the Soul’s extraordinary abilities.

This is crazy as well. Flight, Poison, Burrow Speeds, Strange Attacks, many of which are balanced as single encounter abilities and not Game abilities.

Natural abilities: The Soul Collector gains the creature’s natural skill bonuses, natural weapons, weapon and armour proficiencies and bonus feats. Skill bonuses from multiple souls (as per dual-wielding souls) stack. If the weapon proficiencies overlap, you gain a +2 bonus on attack rolls with that weapon. If the armour proficiencies overlap, you gain a +2 bonus to armour class while wearing that armour.

So... I'm going to go ahead and eat both the party rogue and fighter, and now I'm better than they were and the druid as well. I really don't think I need to show examples of creatures that this would be a good idea to use, because almost all are.

Psi-/Spell-Like abilities (Ps/Sp):The Soul Collector gains the ability to use all the trapped soul’s psi-like and spell-like abilities.

Mind Flayer.
Almost Every Outsider.
Most other Aberrations.
Many Fey.

Soul casting: The Soul collector channels a souls magical ability. In order to do so the soul collector must have at least as many HD as the caster level of the spell caster. Furthermore because the soul collector is only tapping at the souls ability to cast spells he may only cast one spell from each spell level in addition to any slots the soul collector gets because of a high modifier to his casting stat. The soul collectors spell casting ability is based on his charisma score and he learns spells exactly like the spell caster whose soul he is using. In order to regain his spells the soul collector must rest as normal and succeed at a will save roll of a DC 10+ the spell casting level of the soul he wants to use. His caster level is equal to the souls caster level.

Any spell caster ever.

Supernatural abilities (Su): The Soul Collector gains the ability to use all the trapped creature’s supernatural abilities.

Any dragon.
Blink dog.
Most interesting monsters.

----

The Problem with finding specific examples of monsters that would be broken to eat, is that almost every monster that is at all interesting would be over powering for this class to draw on.
Unless you're DM has you fighting Goblin Fighters of scaling Levels, and even then you'll get awesome proficiencies and extraordinary abilities. The question becomes, why wouldn't I want to take this class? As it stands, with the potential powers and abilities it offers, the answer is because no DM would allow it.

Compare it to other PrCs and other classes for power balance.
I'm sure you could say "A Smart DM would strategize the encounters so it wasn't broken" or "A DM could simply not allow some powers," but then you're really punishing the DM. A class should be balanced in its own nature, not by DM fiat.

Erevar
2010-12-05, 12:19 PM
First of all he can not capture any constructs, aberrations or elementals at all. I could add a clause in all of his abilities that if he does not have the appropriate limbs he cannot use the abilities that a creature has, for example the ability to fly using wings he cannot fly unless he himself has wings. Furthermore i could limit him to using only one ability to a soul at a time and take out the feats which allow him to use more than one ability would that be sufficient to limit the soul puppeteer ability?