PDA

View Full Version : hound of the baskervilles

Fortinbras
2010-11-28, 02:21 AM
I'm making a campaign based off the classic Sherlock Holmes story. I need a little advice on how to tweak it it make it a little more D&D friendly.

Its going to be a first level 3.5 campaign.

Atcote
2010-11-28, 02:36 AM
Can we presume you're going to have characters in the Holmes setting, or a more D&D like one with access to magic and other mystical forms of aid?

Fortinbras
2010-11-28, 02:46 AM
either one could work, although a regular setting would be easier for my players, what I really need help with is adapting the story.

Atcote
2010-11-28, 05:23 AM
Well, if you go with a more magic based setting, I'd suggest making the Hound some kind of enchanted monster as opposed to trained attack dog.

I suppose the problem here is keeping the mystery alive; Holmes and Watson don't go on a dungeon crawl laced with traps to find the hound, they investigate and (if I remember correctly, it's been some years) they come to the evil-doer's hideout and find that he's slipped into the mire. Not exactly a great battle, so this could be retooled into a face-off of some sort.

I suppose another question is, who are your players? Are they taking Holmes' and Watson's role? Are they the family members, fearing for their lives? A group of adventurers hired to check it out (essentially still Holmes and Watson, but perhaps with those two characters effecting the story around them?)

There's a lot to be done here, but I've got to admit, I usually don't think of Holmes in terms of adapting it to D&D. It could make it a very skills based adventure however.

grimbold
2010-11-28, 06:38 AM
be c areful w/ divinations is the only advice i can give you
but havent your players read the book?
and what will you use for the hounds stats?
yay english class finally came in handy!!

Greenish
2010-11-28, 10:38 AM
I've been itching for an excuse to link to A Study in Emerald (http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf), so I'll take the opportunity even if it's a bit aside the actual topic. :smallamused:

It might be more helpful if you were playing CoC, but even so it could give you insight into how to render a Holmes-y D&D world.