PDA

View Full Version : barabarian build advice

grimbold
2010-11-28, 12:12 PM
i have a 4th level orc barbarian w/ 20 strength and power attack and cleave as feats
stats
STR-20
CON-14
DEX-13
WIS-10
CHA-8
INT-6

i want to use my greatsword and i have a breastplate and bracers of armor.
i have started the character i just want advice for the future
i am rather experienced playing barbarians but am curious if my fellow playgrounders can suggest anything
thanks

Greenish
2010-11-28, 12:49 PM
i have a breastplate and bracers of armor.Bracers of Armour don't stack with normal armour.

Anyhow, I like the Extra Rage feat. It's from CWar, I seem to recall.

Last Laugh
2010-11-28, 12:59 PM
Bracers of Armour don't stack with normal armour.

I vote for extra rage!

+2 rage/day lets you rage for almost every fight!

Leap attack is a very nice feat (Complete Adventurer) and only gets better with 2handed weaponry.

If you are not spirit lion totem I don't know the best way to give a barbarian pounce, but it would be worth looking into.

I don't know what you intend to do with your character, but Frenzied Berserker (Cwarrior), Champion of Gwynharwyf from BoED, and Frostrager (frostburn) are cool barbarian PrCs. (the last way can take a feat from sandstorm and be immune to cold+fire when raging)

Greenish
2010-11-28, 01:01 PM
I vote for extra rage!

+4 rage/day lets you rage for every fight!Extra Rage is only +2 rages/day. You can take it again though, if that's not enough for you.

Last Laugh
2010-11-28, 01:13 PM
Extra Rage is only +2 rages/day. You can take it again though, if that's not enough for you.

oops :smallredface:

gbprime
2010-11-28, 01:17 PM
Add 1 to your Dex at 8th level, then take Combat Reflexes at 9th level as your feat. By then, one of your party members can easily increase you to size large with spell or equipment, and then you've got reach with that greatsword and 3 attacks of opportunity instead of just one. (Or more if you get a Dex bonus item.)

At higher level, take Robilar's Gambit, which enables you to use those attacks of opportunity as counterattacks every time an enemy hits you.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-28, 01:22 PM
Bracers of Armour don't stack with normal armour.

Extended Rage ain't bad either. Same book. Also, monkey grip is pretty good.

Greenish
2010-11-28, 01:25 PM
Extended Rage ain't bad either. Same book. Also, monkey grip is pretty good.Extend Rage isn't that good. His Rage already lasts for 7 rounds, which should be enough for most fights.

Monkey Grip is for monkeys.

Morbis Meh
2010-11-28, 01:28 PM
I've always liked extend rage, gives you another five rounds to smash, kill, maul!

gbprime
2010-11-28, 01:30 PM
I've always liked extend rage, gives you another five rounds to smash, kill, maul!

YEah, but as stated, he can rage for 7 rounds already. You don't often need more than that. Do you really want to spend a feat for something that MIGHT come into play once every 6 game episodes?

Greenish
2010-11-28, 01:38 PM
I've always liked extend rage, gives you another five rounds to smash, kill, maul!If you need five more rounds, you should brush up your smashing, killing and mauling skills. :smallamused:

Morbis Meh
2010-11-28, 01:39 PM
Meh, recently I am in a ravenloft campaign and my GM likes throwing endless waves of zombies, and with no cleric what can you do?

Last Laugh
2010-11-28, 02:07 PM
Add 1 to your Dex at 8th level, then take Combat Reflexes at 9th level as your feat. By then, one of your party members can easily increase you to size large with spell or equipment, and then you've got reach with that greatsword and 3 attacks of opportunity instead of just one. (Or more if you get a Dex bonus item.)

At higher level, take Robilar's Gambit, which enables you to use those attacks of opportunity as counterattacks every time an enemy hits you.

Doesn't increasing your size reduce your dexterity? (reducing opportunity attacks, maybe lose reflexes even.)

dextercorvia
2010-11-28, 04:12 PM
Doesn't increasing your size reduce your dexterity? (reducing opportunity attacks, maybe lose reflexes even.)

Not if you are an animal. Animal Growth is awesome.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-28, 04:15 PM
Check out the Barbarian Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=8753.0) over on BG. Then, decide what exactly you want your Barbarian to be capable of. With that decided, we'll be able to give you much more specific build advice. Also, what race are you? Goliath? Knowing that will help us help you as well.

I would recommend, regardless of what you want to do, that you take the Streetfighter (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20070228a) ACF. It replaces the small amount of DR you get with class features that will actually benefit you, mostly when you charge.

As far as feats go, I would also recommend Leap Attack, for two reasons. First, it lets you ignore difficult terrain on a charge (that is, as much as you can jump over) and it doubles your power attack damage. You will cause serious harm with this feat.

If you're looking to PrC, I'd recommend increasing your Wis (to at least 15, if you can manage it) and taking levels in Runescarred Berserker (Unapproachable East). This will net you a limited form of spellcasting, and has Anti-Magic field on its list. Yeah, yeah, there are many different ways to get around an Anti-Magic Field, but an Anti-Magic Field centered on a mundane damage dealer is a whole 'nother issue. It also gets DR, which, with a lenient DM, you should be able to trade away for the Streetfighter ACF.