PDA

View Full Version : [4e] - Throwing Objects... and maaaaaybe Characters

Shadow_Elf
2010-11-28, 11:35 PM
The thread title really says it all. I am trying to find a way to set a DC for an Athletics check to throw something based on its weight, with potential for static bonuses to the DC for awkwardness of shape/etc. Does anyone have an established system for this, have any ideas how to implement such a system, or know which book such a rule would appear in in actual WotC stuff? I would normally just Page 42 it, but I would rather the check be based on weight rather than level.

Kurald Galain
2010-11-29, 10:07 AM
The official system is that any such item counts as an improvised thrown weapon, as specified in the PHB.

Otherwise, try this: the distance you throw the object equals the result of your athletics check (in squares) but subtract one square for every ten pounds the object weighs. If something is in the way, it deals 1d6 - 3 damage.

Sipex
2010-11-29, 10:10 AM
There's a formula tucked away somewhere in the PHB or the DMG which tells you how much you can lift according to your STR.

Use that as a base.

I'll be damned if I can remember where it is though, it's barely noticable on a first glance.

edit: I'd come up with something similar to other 4e mechanics, like jumping.

You roll an athletics check and divide the result by 5, rounded down to the nearest whole number. This represents the number of squares you can throw the object. To factor in weight?

Figure out how much you can lift with your str score and divide that in half. If the object in question is under the number you just came up with, divide your athletics check by 5. If it is over (but still within lifting parameters) divide your athletics check by 10.

Kurald Galain
2010-11-29, 10:39 AM
You roll an athletics check and divide the result by 5, rounded down to the nearest whole number. This represents the number of squares you can throw the object.
This means that you can throw things as far as you can jump, and that it's pretty hard to throw a tennis ball farther than ten feet :smalltongue:

Duos Greanleef
2010-11-29, 11:01 AM
My 2cp:
Make it a weapon. Damage and range is based on the weight.
0 - 1/4 your max lift: 1d6 / 5 squares
1/4 - 1/2 your max lift: 1d6 / 4 squares
1/2 - 3/4 your max lift: 1d8 / 3 squares
3/4 - your max lift: 1d8 / 2 squares
(extra points if the "weapon" has a pointy something or other)
Proficiency modifiers are:
+2 if the weapon (read: PC) is inside 1/2 of your lifting capacity
-2 if it's heavier than that.
+2 rule of cool.

Side note: Should there be bonuses if someone is trowing someone off of a ledge? Perhaps split the falling damage that would be taken with the target?:smallamused:
Another side note: I want to see a gnome barbarian throw a half-orc or goliath.

Sipex
2010-11-29, 11:48 AM
This means that you can throw things as far as you can jump, and that it's pretty hard to throw a tennis ball farther than ten feet :smalltongue:

This is true.

Well, normal throw rules are 5/10 squares for most weapons. So maybe just go with.

If it's below the 1/2 mark on your capacity, you can throw it 5/10, if it's above, you can throw it 3/5. Most things except the heaviest (PCs) would fit into the first category.

Balain
2010-11-29, 02:31 PM
There are no rules for throwing objects, except weapons as an attack. You could make your own rules you want, as complicated or simple as you want. I would go with simple, make an athletics check divide by some number based on str. That's how many squares you can throw the object.

If you are trying to hit a target and not just roughly in some area than something using attack roll is better.

vasharanpaladin
2010-11-29, 05:30 PM
Giantkind Gloves allow you to pick up and throw an object weighing 30 lbs. or less as an attack once per encounter. Still no dwarf-tossing, tho. :smallwink:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-11-29, 06:42 PM
Honestly, I'd just say any reasonably small item is an improvised thrown weapon, and Rule 42 anything else based on approximate size. It's quick, dirty, simple, and way faster than looking up the weights of anything people want to throw, etc. Most of the time you'll end up estimating the weight of stuff anyways, so you might as well just cut out the middleman and just estimate the end result.
Also, I'm an Orc itP now!

Shadow_Elf
2010-11-29, 07:50 PM
This is coming up, by the way, because a PC is riding a dragon, and said dragon has a convenient giant window overlooking a massive cliff to throw him out of. The logical move is to toss him, of course, but I am trying to figure out if the dragon can manage it. The PC is less than half his light load and his Athletics is +22, so I am pretty sure the dragon can manage. I know my PCs will ask for specifics, though.

RebelRogue
2010-11-29, 07:53 PM
Giantkind Gloves allow you to pick up and throw an object weighing 30 lbs. or less as an attack once per encounter. Still no dwarf-tossing, tho. :smallwink:
Anorectic-gnome-tossing seems within the realm of possibility, though :smallamused:

Galdor Miriel
2010-11-29, 08:02 PM
Actually all the rules for this exist and are straightforward.

If the heroes decide they want to pick something up and throw it, you make the dc easy, moderate, hard or extra hard, which is level dependent and in the dms guide.

If someone wants to use an improvised weapon if it is light it is a dex based simple ranged attack with no proficiency bonus, if it is heavy you make it a strength based basic melee attack. If they want to throw something really heavy as a weapon, make them make an athletics check and then an attack.

As for damage, for an improvised weapon it would be d4 plus the ability bonus. If they throw something special make it more.

Hope that helps.

The good thing about the 4E system is that it is easy to rule things because the basic mechanic is built in for skill checks. All you need to decide is how hard you want something to be in a broad category and let the dice decide.

GM

Shadow_Elf
2010-11-29, 08:09 PM
Actually all the rules for this exist and are straightforward.

If the heroes decide they want to pick something up and throw it, you make the dc easy, moderate, hard or extra hard, which is level dependent and in the dms guide.

If someone wants to use an improvised weapon if it is light it is a dex based simple ranged attack with no proficiency bonus, if it is heavy you make it a strength based basic melee attack. If they want to throw something really heavy as a weapon, make them make an athletics check and then an attack.

As for damage, for an improvised weapon it would be d4 plus the ability bonus. If they throw something special make it more.

Hope that helps.

The good thing about the 4E system is that it is easy to rule things because the basic mechanic is built in for skill checks. All you need to decide is how hard you want something to be in a broad category and let the dice decide.

GM

Having it based on level is silly, though. That means your Strength and Athletics, which scale with the DCs, have no impact on what you can lift. So, the level 30 who arm wrestles with titans has just as much trouble throwing a rock as the level 1.

tcrudisi
2010-11-29, 11:20 PM
Having it based on level is silly, though. That means your Strength and Athletics, which scale with the DCs, have no impact on what you can lift. So, the level 30 who arm wrestles with titans has just as much trouble throwing a rock as the level 1.

I disagree. As the PCs level up, so does their attack bonus. Yet they don't find it any easier to hit the monsters because the monsters AC also increases.

This would have no impact on what the Fighter could lift (that's encumbrance), but would rather have an impact on whether their aim is good enough to hit a level-appropriate encounter (and also how much damage to do to it).

Shadow_Elf
2010-11-29, 11:24 PM
I disagree. As the PCs level up, so does their attack bonus. Yet they don't find it any easier to hit the monsters because the monsters AC also increases.

This would have no impact on what the Fighter could lift (that's encumbrance), but would rather have an impact on whether their aim is good enough to hit a level-appropriate encounter (and also how much damage to do to it).

I'm not talking about hitting something, necessarily. Just tossing something - aiming & damage obviously have to scale with level, but what you can throw and how far you can throw it should scale with strength and inversely with mass, if it is to make sense at all.