PDA

View Full Version : The Shadow Temple of Inari



Fenric
2006-10-03, 03:45 PM
You have entered the temple of Inari on the Plane of Shadows, in her capacity as the Goddess of Shadow-Foxes. *

You walk down an elegant grey gravel pathway between artistically twisted, full-grown pines. *Stone lanterns provide an indistinct light to the path, while casting elegant shadows among the trees.

At the end of the pathway, a dark grey gate stands. *A large fox carved from medium grey stone gleams at each side of the gate. *As you pass between the foxes and through the gate, you feel the presence of the goddess. *Gentle and caring, but mischievous and lighthearted, you are never quite certain what will happen.

Past the exquisite formal gardens, you finally step into the pagoda itself. *There, at the end of chamber is a raised dais. *There rests a statue of a beautiful werefox woman, flanked by two ash-grey celestial foxes. *Offerings of rice and incense stand before the statue.

In a niche off to the right side of the door sits a Shadow-Cola vending machine. *Next to the coin slot, the sign reads "5 cp".

Fenric
2006-10-03, 03:46 PM
*Fenric appears in the shadowy magic circle and looks around the sanctuary, a satisfied smile on his face*
[hr]*Fenric casts another spell, which opens a gateway that he steps through*
[hr]*Fenric reappears in the circle, then concentrates and disappears again*

Daedrous Avari
2006-10-03, 04:46 PM
[A third Temple of Inari?]

Fenric
2006-10-03, 04:51 PM
(( Yeah... I never felt like making a Modern version, so there's only three instead of four :) ))

Daedrous Avari
2006-10-03, 04:53 PM
[Oh.]

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2006-10-03, 04:57 PM
(That's a shame. I liked the Modern Town. Damn shame I got into it so late.)

Murky_Pool
2006-10-03, 06:55 PM
((Do you have to be a shadow creature to come here or will an amount of affinity to darkness suffice?))

((@V - OK, thanks. I can't imagine red thing will ever need to come here, but it can probably manage it if pushed))

Fenric
2006-10-03, 06:59 PM
(( If you can get to the plane of shadows, you can get here. It's not "special" other than being on that plane. ))

AmberVael
2006-10-04, 09:29 PM
Earin and Elya appear and look around.

Kyrian
2006-10-04, 09:31 PM
Conrad appears.

Let's do this already...

Deadly
2006-10-04, 09:31 PM
Arslan appears and looks into the mirror.

((I am going to get so confused))

Fenric
2006-10-04, 09:32 PM
*Fenric smiles, his eyes glowing red. *Unusually for the Shadows, there is no sense of fear here*

Don't be afraid, this is my temple in the truest sense: the temple that one day I will inhabit as avatar!

For now, it is just a stopping point. *The mirror from the other temple is here as well, we need only watch it.
[hr]
*Fenric watches the confrontation in the mirror*

It is almost time - stand ready: the portal will take you to the mirror temple.

AmberVael
2006-10-04, 09:38 PM
Earin and Elya watch the confrontation between mArslan and Kio. Earin's eyes flash over the landscape, taking it all in.

Kyrian
2006-10-04, 09:40 PM
Conrad waits rather impatiently. He starts swinging Ruination around.

AmberVael
2006-10-04, 09:47 PM
Earin looks to Fenric.
"Should we keep waiting? She looks like she needs our help... but I want to hear what mArslan has to say..."

Kyrian
2006-10-04, 09:48 PM
I say I should go in first....see if mArslan remembers me...

Fenric
2006-10-04, 09:50 PM
*Fenric looks at the mirror*

I think we should wait a little longer and see what he will say. I kinda wish Kio would back off a little bit

Deadly
2006-10-04, 09:51 PM
((You have no idea how funny your discussion is to me ;D))

AmberVael
2006-10-04, 09:54 PM
((I can't decide whether that is an ominous comment or not, Ilias))

Elya bites her lip and clutches Earin's arm.

Fenric
2006-10-04, 09:55 PM
(( Me neither... The current one-on-one is hard to justify calling in the troops for, though. Unless he bores us sufficiently, or brings in reinforcements, I can't see doing anything ))

Deadly
2006-10-04, 09:56 PM
((I'm just amused at your choice, but I can't blame you. Now that I think about it, it does make sense somehow.))

Kyrian
2006-10-04, 09:57 PM
Conrad growls.

Why can't I just kill him now?

Fenric
2006-10-04, 09:58 PM
*Fenric looks at the mirror and sees Ilias*

No reason! There's Ilias! Go!

Kyrian
2006-10-04, 09:59 PM
Conrad dives through.

Deadly
2006-10-04, 10:00 PM
((Heh :)))

Arslan jumps through.

AmberVael
2006-10-04, 10:00 PM
Earin blurs through the mirror, but Elya waits behind a little so that she can be in the back.

Fenric
2006-10-04, 10:02 PM
*Fenric charges through the portal*

AmberVael
2006-10-04, 10:05 PM
Elya goes through right after Fenric.

DarkHunter
2006-10-04, 11:49 PM
*Krystal appears in the cricle, carrying a sleeping fox. She steps out of the circle and waits to see who will follow*
[hr]*Seeing no-one follow, she steps in again to return to the normal temple*

Fenric
2006-11-29, 09:23 PM
Kazuki appears in the sanctuary of the deserted temple, and glides off to the vault. The guards there bow and allow the High Priest of Shadows to pass, and he takes the gem containing Loki.

So nice of Dad to put it here, where my authority matters more than his so long as he remains in the mortal realms.

My apologies for the delay, Lord Loki. It took some time for conditions to be right.

Kazuki then walks back to the sanctuary and world-walks away.

Xerillum
2006-11-29, 09:27 PM
(That's a shame. I liked the Modern Town. Damn shame I got into it so late.)

((Yeah...I killed Oskar's Zergling. I also remember when you were embarrased when posting in new things...))

Fenric
2006-12-01, 10:01 AM
Kazuki and Izumi walk into the sanctuary and look around.

I didn't expect you to get me banished...

Izumi shakes her head

First of all, your releasing of Loki, combined with a pretty but aggrevating speech did that. And second of all, we're not banished: you can't have two high priests in the same temple.

Look around, Kaz! You are in charge here, now!

Kazuki sighs

But I wasn't really ready.

He sits down in his chair and begins hearing the day's issues.

Exachix
2006-12-01, 12:07 PM
A couple of NPC priests dart around. Continuing their tasks. An Acolyte cleans the floor with his freind.

Fenric
2006-12-01, 12:17 PM
Kazuki hears the daily reports, heals several shadows who were summoned to the material plane incorrectly and therefore injured, and makes a few decisions regarding where to purchase shadow-chickens from.

DarkHunter
2006-12-01, 05:28 PM
Kazuki hears Fenric's voice in his mind, telling him about Jor's news and Wukei. Kazuki scowls and sends an acolyte to fetch four priests.

Exachix
2006-12-01, 05:29 PM
The four priests arrive as soon as they are called. They all bow and wait for Kazuki to talk to them.

Fenric
2006-12-01, 05:36 PM
Kazuki nods

Thank you for coming so quickly. The dark goddess Hel is threatening the town. We have two tasks:

The first task is to watch the goddess Hel, who is masquerading as a mortal named Wukei. This requires great care as the goddess is aware of shadows.

The second task is to watch for activities by shadows loyal to her. This is less risky as we do not need to expose ourself to the material plane for that.

Exachix
2006-12-01, 05:38 PM
The four priests nodd.

"We will do those tasks."

Fenric
2006-12-01, 05:46 PM
Kazuki nods

Thank you. I expect regular reports.

Exachix
2006-12-01, 05:50 PM
The priests nod and disperse, beginning their tasks.

((Note: I probably can't keep track of Wukei and all that. Nor keep track of how all the shadows move...))

Fenric
2006-12-01, 05:54 PM
(( I'll help, don't worry ))

Fenric
2007-01-05, 12:07 AM
Kazuki appears in front of his quarters with a sigh

Why does nearly everything go so very badly every time I step foot in that town?

[hr]

Kazuki sighs, then hads into his quarters with a grin of anticipation.

Izumi drifts by and sniffs derisively

Hmph. Still trapped by the pleasures of the flesh? I suppose he will always be. His loss, not mine - I still have claim on his soul.

DarkHunter
2007-01-08, 09:27 AM
Izumi looks up from her morning tasks as a ward long set is triggered

At last... the wretch has left her den. The time to strike has come.

Kazuki's wife melts into a nearby shadow and disappears.

Fenric
2007-01-08, 10:57 AM
Izumi steps back out of the shadows and summons the on duty priests to stand before her.

Their usual obedience fades into the blank stare of compulsion just from being in her presence, and she laughs.

It is true, then: I have become a Shadow Lord. All that is needed now is to merge my so-called husband with his mirror. With both his power and my own to command...

Izumi grins, lost in her thoughts for a time. But she soon blinks as she notices the continued blankness of the priests. Izumi scowls in irritation as she withdraws the compulsion.

I wanted the ability, not the constant use of it. You are released: go about your business

The priests blink a few times and shake their heads, then go back to their daily work.

Now... where is Kazuki... ?

Fen3
2007-01-30, 09:33 PM
Kazuki and Izumi blink and looks around, suddenly having the odd impression that they are being spoken of.

Fenric
2007-02-17, 01:11 PM
Kazuki looks up as an acolyte from the material plane steps through the portal.

Holy Kazuki, your friend has returned and is presently speaking with your father. Mitsuya thought you might like to know.

Kazuki smiles

Well, thank you. I will come as soon as my duties allow!

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-02-22, 09:42 AM
*One of the night priests from the Town's temple walks in and bows respectfully. *
"We need your help in containing a priest of ours. He's trapped in shadow form and doesn't handle it very well. We're afraid he'll endanger himself and others if allowed to roam free.

Don't you have plenty of things he can eat? Chickens and fish and such?
"That's the danger. His girlfriend is half-bird and we're afraid that she'll kill him if she finds out he's been eating chickens. Even if she doesn't kill him, she'll be angry and he'll be mopey about it."
*The shadow priest nods, sends some acolytes of his own to fetch things and returns a few minutes later with some chains* These have been enchanted to hold shadows. They should keep your priest well behaved."

*The night priest bows, thanks the other shadowfox, and returns to his temple with the chains.*

Fenric
2007-02-27, 08:19 PM
Kazuki finishes up with his day's duties and looks around with a stretch and a sigh.

Fenric
2007-04-26, 10:34 AM
A portal opens, and Izumi steps through. She turns and motions to Rhea.

Deadly
2007-04-26, 10:36 AM
Rhea follows, not at all used to elven form anymore, looking a bit like a sailor who's just walked ashore after years on the sea.

Tenshin follows behind

Exachix
2007-04-26, 10:44 AM
Mitsuya follows and smiles to Rhea, looking at the shadow-temple.

Fenric
2007-04-26, 10:45 AM
Izumi smiles and stretches, back on her home plan.

Kazuki, dear: we have guests.

The high priest of the shadows comes out from around a shadowy version of Fendran's tree.

Hello, friends: Welcome to the Shadow Temple of Inari.

Izumi explains

You've met Tenshin. This is Rhea, changed to an elf to help rescue Kio. She needs some equipment, and perhaps some help getting used to this form.

Kazuki nods and comes over to Rhea. After considering her a moment, he casts Restoration on her.

That should help some. Izumi, you should do Shadow Investiture on her: it will be faster.

Kazuki sends some acolytes to fetch some basic equipment.

Now, Rhea, what is it you do?

Deadly
2007-04-26, 10:48 AM
Rhea smiles and thinks I used to be a seer... psion. I don't really have any of those powers left though.

Fenric
2007-04-26, 11:01 AM
Kazuki shakes his head and steps aside from Rhea

Your spirit never forgets.

Izumi comes back forward and first performs Shadow Investiture temporarily making Rhea native to the Plane of Shadows, and making it easier for her to see and move about. Particularly, she doesn't need to "walk" anymore. Then, Izumi starts a more complicated mystery.

Your soul has the shadows of your former abilities. I will attempt to call them back to your current body.

The acolytes return with dark robes, a set of feather light, jet black, shimmering chainmail, and boots, and a pack.

You did not specify any other equipment, holy Kazuki

I know: just wait.

The acolytes wait.

Deadly
2007-04-26, 11:03 AM
Rhea is quite overwhelmed by all this, but tries to smile Thanks... this is a lot of changes very quickly, though.

Fenric
2007-04-26, 11:40 AM
Izumi smiles

We have no time to be delicate. Fetch her a good dagger, that's about all we can do.

The acolytes scurry off, and Kazuki sends an acolyte to get the scrying mirror

Let's see what we can find, shall we?

Deadly
2007-04-26, 11:41 AM
Rhea nods and tries to focus on her newly recovered powers

Tenshin watches thoughtfully

Exachix
2007-04-26, 11:42 AM
"Apperently Kio will be in the shadow-reigon corresponding to the material's desert, if I remember rightly."

Fenric
2007-04-26, 11:44 AM
Kazuki nods

That's a big place. Let's try to narrow it down a bit...

Deadly
2007-04-26, 11:53 AM
((And I'll speed it up a bit by saying right now that scrying won't work. If the gods couldn't scry on one of their own priestesses, then I can't see how we would manage it logically. I actually had forgotten about this problem until now, but bringing Rhea with us was a good move and provides a solution that can be justified somewhat :)))

Rhea, slowly regaining some sense of her powers, manifests Hypercognition to try and find any clues from the little information there is. Rhea winces and grabs her head, shaking visibly. Something apparently tried to interfere, and failed.

Tenshin runs over to support her.

Fenric
2007-04-26, 12:11 PM
(( Ok. Though I will point out that the scrying spells are very sensitive to distance. On the same plane, and reasonably nearby, a mortal's spell might have had a better chance than a god's from a different plane and thousands of miles distant. ))

Kazuki looks at Rhea in alarm

Are you allright?

Exachix
2007-04-26, 12:12 PM
Mitsuya looks in concern to Rhea.

Deadly
2007-04-26, 12:16 PM
((Yeah, but I think once you know more details you'll agree that there was little hope of it working. Even this is a bit of a stretch, but it'll do.))

Rhea nods slowly and leans on Tenshin for support Someone really doesn't want us to find Kio, it seems. Luckily it seems whoever it is failed to interfere this time. I think I can point out the location pretty accurately.

Exachix
2007-04-26, 12:16 PM
Mitsuya hmms.

"Oh good."

Fenric
2007-04-26, 12:22 PM
(( Of course, then all you do is look for the place you're not allowed to see. :smallbiggrin:. Scrying defense is really pretty useless for obscuring location to a dedicated searcher. ))

Kazuki nods

Then let's get moving

(( And I think it's time for Deadly to make a thread and take over. :smallsmile: ))

Deadly
2007-04-26, 12:26 PM
((Whatever :) And we'll just use the Plane of Shadows thread, no need to create a completely new thread just for this I think))

Rhea nods, and thinks, then telepathically sends the location to everyone, so that they can get there easily. Then she and Tenshin teleport there.

Exachix
2007-04-26, 12:26 PM
((Yeah... search the general area bit by bit, hone in on where you can't see or is 'blocked'))

Mitsuya nodds and smiles, removing a mace from her robes.

Deadly
2007-04-26, 12:29 PM
((But if more or less the entire desert is blocked, or something to that effect, it's not very useful ;)))

Fenric
2007-04-26, 12:30 PM
Izumi opens a portal, and Kazuki heads through. She gestures for Mitsuya to go on through

It will close after I pass, please go on.

Exachix
2007-04-26, 02:03 PM
Mitsuya goes... late.

Fenric
2007-05-02, 09:09 AM
Izumi heads through, and the portal closes... late. Just to keep continuity happy for a rare change.

[hr]

Fenric pads out of the side of the tree and curls up, keeping watch over the shadow sanctuary.

Exachix
2007-05-02, 11:44 AM
Shadow-Priests bustle about, much like on the material plane.

Fenric
2007-05-04, 10:18 PM
Fenric wakes up with a start, and creates a globe of energy which he stares into.

Obnixous personage lures and attacks my disciple does he?

But what's this... Knaves? What sort of a ridiculous name is that?

Ah, she does poorly. It seems that is a name I shall not soon forget.

Fenric gazes at the Town, examining places he has ignored until now.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 01:22 PM
A faint spectre hangs around outside the Shadow Temple. It doesn't enter or do anything, just stays there silently from it's hiding. It looks like it can't decide whether to enter or walk away.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 01:30 PM
Kazuki and the shadow-priests bustle about tending to the refugees from the Town and Balnaroth. Izumi sits off to the side, occasionally conferring with one of her shadow-elementals.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 01:34 PM
The spectre glides a bit closer and peeks into the sanctuary. Seeing both Kazuki and Izumi there it seems to change it's mind a bit and retreats back to where it started.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 01:40 PM
In a bit of gentle metagaming, Kazuki heads out into the temple grounds to attend to something in the other buildings. Izumi watches the shadow-NPCs.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 01:49 PM
The spectre seems to finally gather some courage and glides up to the entrance to the sanctuary. Seeing that now only Izumi is there doesn't seem to improve it's mood, we all know Izumi can be rather unsettling. It doesn't flee yet, though it's obvious that it's prepared to do just that.

The spectre is rather familiar, despite the fact that it's features are almost completely indistinct. In particular it reminds you of a certain sad existence from the dark temple where Kio was being held. ((Laeral, should you be in doubt))

Fenric
2007-05-16, 01:53 PM
Izumi looks over, not yet having recognized the shade

Enter without fear, neighbor. The blessings of Inari be upon you.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 02:00 PM
The spectre looks unsure, expecting the worst, which in this case would be a trick of some kind. Despite this he falls to his knees and bows his head, resigning himself to whatever may come Forgive me... he manages to say

Fenric
2007-05-16, 02:06 PM
Izumi arches an eyebrow


Laeral? You seem to have managed to realize that you were not empty nothingness after all.

I know of nothing for which I require repentance of you, and the goddess is hardly going to press an issue which was already avenged upon your body.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 02:17 PM
Laeral remains unsure I... have made so many mistakes, and... I can't leave this plane and didn't know where else to go. When Akiya... died, her hold on me was broken. I realised how I've been fooled and led... what lies she told me. he looks nervous But I should have been destroyed when she died. She was the only reason I was still there, I... think she's still alive.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 02:20 PM
Izumi shrugs

It is possible: a good enemy is difficult to get rid of permanently. Of course, this plane does not easily release those who become enmeshed in it. That is why the Dark Powers chose it for the base of their demiplane, after all.

Regardless, you are one of us now: of course you cannot leave.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 02:25 PM
Laeral sighs and looks up at her, getting a little less nervous Perhaps that is best. I just wish I could undo all the things I've done, and warning you of Akiya seemed like a good place to start. I'm not sure what she plots, she usually kept her plans secret, but I'm pretty sure she had been working on something big for a long time.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 02:43 PM
Izumi sighs

Of course. She wouldn't want to plan something small, now would she?

We thank you for the warning, however.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 02:47 PM
Laeral sighs It's the least I could do, I hope I can be of more help in the future... I just wonder what to do now. The one I really need to apologize to doesn't come here often, I assume.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 02:52 PM
Izumi shakes her head

Ayame never comes here, and it is her to whom you most owe an apology. Ilias comes second at best.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 02:54 PM
He nods sadly You're right. he says simply and looks around

Fenric
2007-05-16, 02:59 PM
Kazuki returns from whatever he was doing

Learal? So you decided that you aren't empty nothingness after all?

We already did that one, darling.

Kazuki's ears fold down

Oh... sorry... um... what does he want.

He says he's sorry.

Kinda late for that: I already killed him... twice... I'd say he's not really owed anything else.

I said the same, but he feels guilt.

Get one of the emotion-drainers to touch him, then. Guilt rarely comes back after a few days off.

Izumi shakes her head

That will not work, dear. He is a shadow now.

Oh...

Deadly
2007-05-16, 03:04 PM
Laeral seems completely baffled by the fact that none of them seem to hate him or anything. 3000 years with someone like Akiya tends to make it hard to believe in kindness and forgiveness. He sighs a bit.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:16 PM
Kazuki looks at him

Look: why don't you just stay here. Nobody back on the material plane is going to be particularly welcoming anyway, and we can explain to any of our family who happen to stop by.

Izumi nods

If you wander the shadows by yourself, you are all too likely to be caught and bound again. Especially if you are depressed and inattentive.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 03:22 PM
Laeral nods a bit That sounds like a good idea... for now, atleast.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:27 PM
Kazuki smiles

Besides, you'll have plenty of comapny here.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 03:30 PM
Laeral nods, but isn't entirely sure what to say, or how to react to this. They seem far too friendly in his eyes, and something in the back of his head constantly wants to convince him that they're only trying to trick him, and that as soon as he lets down his guards they'll show their true intentions.

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:42 PM
A counter-something is introduced into this head, suggesting that the first something is being paranoid and that perhaps they really just want to keep an eye on him and this is the easiest way to do it.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 03:49 PM
Laeral should probably get even more paranoid at something else suddenly showing up in his mind, especially something suggesting that he just relax and let down his guards. But he doesn't. He doesn't seem to relax much either. So... he looks around What to do now... he considers

Fenric
2007-05-16, 03:55 PM
The sounds from the back of the temple should make it clear that there are people back there.

Should he go look, he will learn that there are a LOT of people back there. All shadows, living in a city of tents.

Deadly
2007-05-16, 04:00 PM
Laeral decides to just wander around and watch people. He wonders what all those people would be doing here, but keeps his thoughts to himself for now.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 09:23 AM
Kazuki and Izumi come out and begin the day's activities in the shadow temple.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 09:50 AM
Laeral looks up from where he's been sitting. He sighs a bit and contemplates what to do.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 10:06 AM
There is a lot of gossip flying around about the destruction of the Ministry of the Right, and the Balnaroth foxes are arguing that the lot of them were better off in Ravenloft.

*************************

Kazuki looks up, suddenly attentive, then he looks at Izumi

I have to do something.

Izumi nods

You heard your father, though. You must take precautions.

They spend a short time in spells, then Kazuki disappears.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 10:16 AM
Laeral listens, it's not every day you hear news of so many gods being destroyed, after all. Also, listening to the gossip takes his mind off other things, which is nice once in a while.

***

A figure walks up to the temple and stops in the entrance. It looks like Mirror Ilias, except that it's... well, shadowy.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 10:18 AM
Izumi looks over to the door

Greetings.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 10:24 AM
mIlias turns to Izumi Greetings. I'm just... passing through. I think I remember this place. he says, not really showing any emotions, which would be unusual for him

Laeral looks up and sees him, and tries to hide.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 10:28 AM
Izumi looks at mIlias with her quite normal lack of emotion

You feel the familiarity between this place and the temples on the material plane, which you have visited. We are the shadow of both.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 10:35 AM
I see. This would be the temple of... he looks like he's trying to remember Inari, then? he asks and looks around.

Laeral moves a bit further into the shadows and frowns.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 10:42 AM
Izumi nods

It is. What is it that causes you to ask questions, the answers to which you should already know?

Deadly
2007-05-21, 10:45 AM
He continues to look around My memory is still a bit hazy. It will return, and finding my way back through the places I've been helps move it along he says.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 10:47 AM
Izumi nods

That is frequently the case. What caused you to come to the plane of shadows, though; fire-aligned spirit as you were? One would have guessed you would go to one of the firey planes.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 10:50 AM
My connection to my former plane is gone. The gods there did not care to bring me back.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 10:54 AM
Izumi arches an eyebrow

That is unfortunate. Still, you will find that shadows have their own advantages.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 10:56 AM
They certainly do. And it is just the way it should be. The gods of my mirror cared about their creation, it's only logical that mine wouldn't. he says, showing no signs of anger or regret or anything.

Laeral silently curses, wishing he'd just move on and disappear.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 11:01 AM
Izumi nods

That is as would be predicted. What do you intend to do now?

Deadly
2007-05-21, 11:04 AM
He shrugs I have no plans. Maybe I will go to the material plane, to... he stops and thinks briefly The Town.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 11:09 AM
Izumi nods

The Town is a good place to visit. You spent quite some time there.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 11:13 AM
He nods and looks around, almost as if looking for something. His eyes stop briefly on the spot where Laeral is hiding, then he turns back to Izumi Yes. Thank you. he says before fading away.

Laeral cringes as mIlias looks in his direction. Once mIlias is gone he slowly emerges from his hiding, frowning

Fenric
2007-05-21, 11:14 AM
Izumi turns to Laeral

He lies as poorly as he ever has done: No fire spirit would willingly come here, even though rejected by his gods. There are firey layers of the abyss or the hells which would gladly have welcomed him instead.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 11:17 AM
Laeral nods Yes. And who brought him back if not his own gods? Surely he didn't just return from the Void on his own.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 11:27 AM
Izumi looks out the front door

There are very few who would bother to resurrect someone to this place. Inari would, but it was not her. The Dark Powers would, but then he would be bound in Ravenloft.

No, my question is not who. I want to know first how they found Ilias, and secondly... why?

Deadly
2007-05-21, 11:30 AM
Laeral sighs and sits down I think he came here to find me. Akiya probably sent him to spy on me, and I have no doubt that it was her goddess who brought him back... she seems to have an interrest in Ilias.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 11:38 AM
Izumi turns back to Laeral

Why would she want you back?

Deadly
2007-05-21, 11:42 AM
Laeral looks down We used to be lovers, though I'm starting to doubt she ever loved me. And I don't think she wants me back now, seeing how I am currently betraying her. I think she rather wants to silence me.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 11:49 AM
Izumi nods

That would be in keeping with what we have seen so far. What is there to silence you regarding?

Deadly
2007-05-21, 11:55 AM
Laeral shrugs I know her well, and I may be able to figure some of her plot out, or otherwise help you, even though I know nothing specific right now.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 12:07 PM
Izumi reaches a decision

Then it is imperative you remain safe for the time being.

Without bothering to ask or say more, she reaches out toward him with her shadow power, attempting to change his appearance and aura to match the refugees from Balnaroth.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 12:13 PM
A bit surprised, but having been around Akiya enough to atleast have a basic familiarity with shadow magic, he doesn't resist. He looks down at himself, then back up at Izumi Thank you, I just hope Ilias didn't see me before. It's best they don't know where to focus their search. he says and thinks Also, I need to figure out what to do. I can't just sit here and do nothing.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 12:16 PM
Izumi looks out the door again

The Votaries would not appreciate her meddling with the shadows. Now that you are one, you could go among them and stir them against her. A number of our people are already there, as that group appealed to them more...

Deadly
2007-05-21, 12:22 PM
The Votaries? he asks Also, I really need get on more friendly terms with Ilias and all the others. Ilias and Kio might know something. I know Akiya kept a diary of sorts, did you find that one or was it lost in the explosion?

Fenric
2007-05-21, 12:31 PM
Izumi nods

The Votaries of Vecna, of course.

And yes, we did find the book. Kio has been studying it for some time now.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 12:35 PM
Ah... he says, trying to dig out his limited knowledge of Vecna... which isn't much, mostly something about a rather unpleasant god and some artifacts And that's atleast something, I'm sure that book contains some valuable clues.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 12:38 PM
Izumi explains that the Votaries are a cult of that particular god based here on the plane of shadows. They generally keep to themselves looking for the hand and eye, but they also dislike anyone else from the material plane acting directly here. They aren't the multiverse's most effective group, but would probably react unfavorably to Shar's little friends.

(( Tome of Magic ))

Deadly
2007-05-21, 12:41 PM
Laeral listens and smiles a bit Allies are always a good thing to have. I should probably get to know them better, then.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 12:47 PM
Izumi nods

Indeed. I'd rather not face her unprepared a second time.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 12:51 PM
Laeral nods I don't think she wants to meet you unprepared either. Even with her preparations and a lot of circumstances in her favor you still beat her. I can tell pretty surely that she's not happy about that.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 12:53 PM
Izumi grins an unsettling grin

Neither of us are the sort accustomed to being defeated.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 01:10 PM
Laeral smiles No, and it doesn't seem to happen a lot to you guys either. You did kill me twice, you know. I guess I deserved it too.

Kio appears in a shimmer of light, apparently trying to limit said light as much as possible, figuring that the shadows would appreciate the thought. She sighs and looks around at what to her looks like a rather unpleasant place

Fenric
2007-05-21, 01:14 PM
Izumi chuckles

We are not the worst you could have faced.

She notes Kio's entrance and looks at her

Greetings, Kio.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 01:19 PM
Kio smiles at Izumi Greetings. she says and looks at Laeral, but doesn't recognise him. She finds that a bit strange considering Fenric's words but shrugs it off and nods politely at him. Laeral looks a bit nervous and unsure but nods back.

Kio turns back to Izumi and holds out a book to her, the one they found in Akiya's bag. I've been reading through this for some time, and it's been... well, informative in a creepy way. There are parts I think you may have more luck understanding, however. You do know a lot more about shadow magic, after all. she smiles

Fenric
2007-05-21, 01:26 PM
Izumi smiles at Kio's failure to recognize Laeral, and takes the book

Thank you: I will see what I can make of it. Is there any other news?

Deadly
2007-05-21, 01:30 PM
Other than finding out that my half-sister, who I never knew I had, apparently hates me more than anything and has some very unsettling fantasies about what she could do to make my life a living hell... she shivers and decides not to think about it Aside from that I've been trying to decide what to do about my fathers soul. I don't want to make any mistake.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 01:33 PM
Izumi nods again

Indeed: that is something to take utmost care with. The safest route would be to get one of the gods of your own realm to restore him, there.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 01:37 PM
Kio nods thoughtfully. At that point Laeral briefly forgets his disguise and speaks up It's just a Soul Bind spell. Either break the holy symbol or dispel the magic to free him, then use a True Ressurrection to restore him. he says. Kio turns and stares at him Uhm... how do you know that?. Laeral had already realised his mistake at that point and curses quietly as he briefly tries to come up with some excuse

Fenric
2007-05-21, 01:42 PM
Izumi shakes her head

You need to work on maintaining your cover somewhat better than that, Laeral.

Kio, you've met Laeral, haven't you? He's one of ours now.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 01:49 PM
But... Laeral sighs and nods.

Kio blinks and looks uncertain how to react. She frowns a bit and narrows her eyes, studying Laeral very closely Are you sure you can trust him? she says

Laeral sighs and looks down a bit I'm sorry for everything I've done, Kio. If I could ever go back and change it, I would.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 02:15 PM
Izumi shrugs

He is a shadow now. Unless he cares to test his will against my ability to command shadows, he will behave. Should he join the votaries in earnest... he will never be heard from again, as they would send him off on their endless fool's errand to the great rift in the search for the hand and eye.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 02:26 PM
And, Laeral adds I am pretty powerless now, I wouldn't stand a chance against any of you. Not that I ever seemed to do that

Kio watches him carefully, then sighs I guess I should give you a chance to prove it, I have done mistakes myself, but I will keep a close eye on you.

Laeral nods Thank you, Kio, that's all I can ask of you.

Fenric
2007-05-21, 02:46 PM
Izumi nods

Now, both of you need to forget that name. Should our opponents learn of you, then we will lose any insight you might have, and you will likely lose your life.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 02:51 PM
Kio and Laeral both nod solemnly. Kio looks at Izumi and pulls out the holy symbol Do you think he's right? That I can just dispel it?

Fenric
2007-05-21, 03:20 PM
Izumi shrugs

Such necromantic things as that are beyond my expertise. My understanding of things indicates that what he says is a possible description of the current situation. You must choose to trust him or not based on what you know.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 03:35 PM
Kio nods slowly, then smiles a bit Thank you, Izumi. I had better be going for now. she says, bows and disappears.

Laeral sighs a bit and sits down to get a bit of rest and think some things through.

Deadly
2007-05-21, 06:10 PM
((The following is what Izumi might figure out from reading the book. Thought I might as well post it like this.

The actual diary entries stopped long, long ago, and even then they were few and far between. Akiya obviously never cared to write a lot about herself or her life. The rest of the book is a true mess of random notes, spells, mysteries and just about anything else that can be written down. There's probably even a recipe for muffins or two in it somewhere.

If Izumi cares to read the diary entries, they seem to be mostly about her hatred of Kio and how she dreamt of torturing her in every conceivable way. Even the most sadistic devil could find inspiration here, and it might even get offended. She also rants on about being cast out, ignored and unloved by their father and the elven gods. She seems to have a great deal of hatred for the elven gods, in fact. It's not hard to imagine that all this hate is unfounded and based on several misunderstandings and outright lies, but she probably couldn't be convinced that she's wrong.

It also contains a few remarks about how she tricked and used Laeral, convincing him to serve Shar unknowingly by creating a small cult to a non-existant god of vengeance. It's obvious that Akiya was the one who manipulated Laeral and blew his hate of Ilias completely out of proportions. Had they never met Laeral would likely have sulked for a while, then realised that Ilias really wasn't to blame and returned to a normal life. Only Akiya's lies kept his hate going. There's a strange notion that all this was actually done out of some twisted sense of love.

It also details her search for immortality, which is slightly interresting as she strongly considered resorting to vampirism for a long time. Apparently she found another solution to extend her life, however she doesn't quite seem to have given up on the idea of undeath entirely. There are in fact some recent notes that seem to discuss this, but they are quite odd.

Akiya's early life is rather unclear, but there are a few notes that suggest she grew up in Halruaa with her mother, a mortal elf. Her mother died early on, and Akiya was left on her own. Somehow, and that was unlikely by chance, she found a small sect of Sharrans who took her into their ranks. It was only then she learned who her father was, and it's likely here the misunderstandings started.

None of the mysteries recorded would likely be of interrest to Izumi, as she probably know of them already.

There's a lot of notes written in Halruaan, but using shadow script. Kio would likely have been able to decipher some of it, if nothing else then through magic, but much of it would make little sense without an understanding of shadow magic. It's difficult to make out the exact meaning of it, not only is it written here and there as random notes amidst unrelated things, it also seems to be incomplete. Likely Akiya just noted down certain things to not forget them, and kept the rest in her head, meaning that what Izumi is reading is taken completely out of context.

What Izumi can make of it is that most of it details the fundamental nature of the gods, their divinity and the inner workings of divine magic. Some of it is a study of Imaskari magic and rituals. The rest is just a mix of notes on the nature of shadows, shadow magic, and the Shadow Weave. This last bit seemingly has some great significance, since Akiya rambles on and on about it in several places. The reason is unclear, though.

There's little doubt that Akiya would do a lot to get this book back, and remove all who have read it from existence in the process. If she hadn't been defeated once she would likely already have tried.))

Fenric
2007-05-23, 11:44 AM
Kazuki comes out into the sanctuary with a satisfied and happy smile. Seeing Izumi reading a book he grins at her

Good book, dear?

Izumi quirks an eyebrow at him

Anything but. That young woman is a truly disturbed being, and is going to be trouble again yet.

Kazuki blinks

Sorry... which young woman?

The one who captured Kio.

Kazuki winces and mouths a silent "Oh".

Deadly
2007-05-23, 12:32 PM
Laeral wakes and looks around with a raised eyebrow. Then he sighs and looks over at Izumi and Kazuki Uh... any news?

Fenric
2007-05-23, 01:16 PM
Izumi summarizes what she has read in the book

It is rambling and incomplete, but she seems to have some greater design.

Kazuki frowns and contemplates the information

Deadly
2007-05-23, 02:19 PM
Laeral sighs She really did fool me quite badly, then. he mutters and thinks Yeah, hopefully we can figure out what it is. he says thoughtfully

***

After thinking a bit he shakes his head She did ramble on about the elven gods a lot. I think she dreamt of destroying them, although I have no idea if that's what she's trying to do now, or if it remains just a sick dream... The book does seem to suggest it is something like that, but I somehow doubt it's even possible.

Fenric
2007-05-23, 02:21 PM
Izumi nods

She did rant something about destroying the entire plane and the gods.

Kazuki arches an eyebrow

And she found a way to do that?

I would guess that she believes that she has.

Kazuki frowns.

Deadly
2007-05-23, 02:25 PM
I wonder what it could be, though. And more importantly if it might actually work, you never quite know in this crazy world. There must be some clues that can help. he says and sits down

Fenric
2007-05-23, 02:29 PM
Izumi repeats the bits that seemed relevant to see if Laeral can make any additions or associations.

We could ask Zakziril to look them over: he is the most powerful of our order that I know of.

Kazuki nods

Uncle Zak may know something...

Deadly
2007-05-23, 02:35 PM
Laeral nods slowly, looking thoughtful I wish I had cared to listen more closely to her at times. Or even try to dig something out of her mind... why didn't I ever try that? he sighs She did study the magic of ancient Imaskar a lot. But then, she studied a lot of ancient things. As for her ramblings on the Shadow Weave, my guess is that Mystra no longer would allow anything like what she has planned. Shar, on the other hand, might. I don't know, it's a guess.

Fenric
2007-05-23, 02:40 PM
Izumi looks thoughtful

I would have thought the methods that led to the fall of Nethril more appropriate, but it matters not. Shar would happily assist in troubling the elven pantheon, whether the agent actually succeeded or not would not truly trouble her.

Kazuki looks at Izumi

What do you know of this Imaskar?

Little enough. We should seek out your father's brother.

Deadly
2007-05-23, 02:45 PM
She didn't seem to care much about Netheril, oddly enough. Laeral remarks and shrugs But let's see what this Zakziril can do to help.

Fenric
2007-05-23, 02:51 PM
Kazuki nods, and opens a portal to WinterHearth.

Izumi and Kazuki head through.

Fenric
2007-05-24, 01:45 PM
Kazuki, Izumi, and Laeral appear in the sanctuary.

Izumi takes her seat, and Kazuki heads out to check on the refugees. Now that the issues with WinterHearth are resolved, he instructs them to get ready to move. Over the long weekend, the refugees will all move to that frozen fox city.

Deadly
2007-05-24, 01:46 PM
Laeral sits down in the shadows to think long and hard on the whole thing with Akiya.