PDA

View Full Version : Animal Tricks

Pictogram
2010-11-29, 05:18 AM
So, I'm playing the equivalent of a non-magic druid in this campaign I'm in and with some house ruling and what not my dm is allowing me to qualify to play a Tamer of Beast. Now, seeing as I deal with animals a lot, I was wandering if anyone knew of any other tricks that weren't presented in the PHB or MotW- or if anyone had any ideas for new ones, my dm is very lenient on such things.

Fizban
2010-11-29, 05:32 AM
Try Complete Adventurer and Races of the Wild for starters, I know there's some there. You might also try Complete Scoundrel (as it has more stuff for skill users), and the environment themed books.

One thing to always remember: the main Handle Animal entry gives you the "push" function. This is what allows you to get an animal to perform a trick that it is not trained to do. Once you have enough bonus to do this reliably (it's only DC 25), you never need to worry about training an animal again if you don't want to. Any animal that will listen to your commands (gogo Animal Empathy!) will do anything that it is physically capable of doing if you can hit DC 25 every time.

Coidzor
2010-11-29, 06:19 AM
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118x

Some web content for your perusal.

I believe the main thing you want a high check for is for rearing animals or training them to have the warbeast template which is X+HD of the animal for the check. Thankfully though, there's a number of ways, especially if you can get caster support to do that in the pre-game/during downtime.

Also probably of interest: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871522/The_Handle_Animal_Guide

Pictogram
2010-11-30, 01:16 AM
@Fizban Thank you Fizban for reminding me of the "Push"action totally forgot about that.
@Coidzor Thanks for mention the war beast template, didn't even know existed. Only problem with casters helping me in down time is that the world literally has 4 Druids and 4 Wizards. The rest of world are martial classes, bards ( non magic variant same thing with Rangers), and Wardens, which is a new class equivalent to a non magic druid that me and the DM home brewed.

Why I ask for thoughts on new tricks, or any existing ones that I haven't seen ( I've seen the ones you guys linked but thanks any who) is that my character took the feat extra animal companion ( adds 4hd of extra companions) and I'm going to be spending these extra hit dice on rats and sparrows. Rats have 1/4 of a HD= 4 rats to a HD. Same thing with sparrows. I've also got a heavy horse as my original animal companion that i get as a class feature.

Now I know i could get some more damaging animals then rats and sparrows, but my character is mostly support ( Wardens, non magic druids, serve as the healers of the world equaling support) and i want to use these small beast for different small tasks. 8 rats dedicated to learning thievery, maybe 2 to perform, and 2 as sentry's. I'm going to have 4 sparrows as messengers with the home trick, and what not. Any thoughts? I just really want to see if anyone can find or home brew some interesting tricks that could help these little critters out.

Coidzor
2010-11-30, 02:07 AM
Hmm... I remember seeing some discussion on rats and tricks, but nothing concrete comes to mind. Might run a search on the homebrew sub-forum.