PDA

View Full Version : [GURPS] What books do I need?

Thalnawr
2010-11-29, 12:48 PM
So, I'm getting close to the end of my current D&D campaign, and I kinda want to try out GURPS for a space-pirates type game. What books would I need to purchase in order to cover the basics?

warmachine
2010-11-29, 12:59 PM
Besides the two basic set books, Space for genre discussion about adventures in space, the Spaceships series for spaceship combat and trading and Ultra-tech for futuristic items. Perhaps High-tech for more modern stuff, Psionic Powers if you're allowing that and Bio-tech for more technology.

Yuki Akuma
2010-11-29, 01:00 PM
You can do everything with the two Basic Set books. Other books give more items, advantages and optional rules, but you don't need them.

Thalnawr
2010-11-29, 01:50 PM
I'll have to check what's available for sale at our local game shop, I suppose.

Grelna the Blue
2010-12-01, 02:05 AM
I haven't played in years, so I don't know how much the newest version might have changed, but if you're playing fantasy GURPS I can say that once upon a time you'd absolutely have wanted to get GURPS Fantasy and GURPS Religion (the second one is a great buy for any fantasy game).

Gensh
2010-12-01, 02:22 AM
I've browsed the vast majority of them, but like Yuki_Akuma said, you only need the two core books. Other than that, I'd definitely suggest Powers, since it nearly doubles your options (well, a decent part of it is obvious suggestions...) but only if you've got some extra money lying around. I don't actually have it, myself. I don't remember any of the space-themed books being particularly useful other than providing examples, but I could be wrong.