PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder/3.5 PrC - PEACH] White Flame Wielder (an option for N or G necromancers)

Grelna the Blue
2010-11-29, 03:15 PM
Playing a neutral (with strong good tendencies) necromancer who doesn't create, summon, or consort with the undead, I've been a bit dismayed at the lack of playable PrCs out there for me. Paragnostic Apostle and Sacred Exorcist are just about the only ones that play to my strengths.

So I came up with a concept and my GM has weighed in, and I'd appreciate any feedback people might have.

[Note: I realize that this PrC is somewhat unbalanced in that it is powerful against undead but rather weak otherwise compared to the base classes. It is my hope that the benefits are equivalent to the drawbacks. It is an undead-heavy campaign, with Path Magic and numerous spells that deal positive energy damage (several houseruled in from 2nd Ed and switched from Evocation to Necromancy). The GM added one class benefit that I think may be overkill (Radiant Soul), but considering that some PrCs grant complete immunity to negative levels, I guess it's no big deal]

WHITE FLAME WIELDER
White Flame Wielders specialize in using positive energy against the forces of unlife. Clerics qualify most easily for this class, but the occasional druid/Master of Radiance or non-evil necromancer also finds it attractive. Paladins can also easily qualify, but are seldom interested in trading increased combat ability for increased channeling expertise.

Requirements:To qualify to become a White Flame Wielder, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Race: Any
Alignment: Levels 1-5: any non-evil; Levels 6-10: any good
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 6 ranks, Knowledge (planes) 6 ranks
Feats: Turn Undead

Class Features:
Class Skills: as Cleric
Skill Points/Level: 2 + Int modifier
Hit Die: d8

{table=head]Class Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spells/Day
1st|+0|+1|+0|+1|Channel Energy|+1 lvl existing class
2nd|+1|+1|+1|+1|Endurance|+1 lvl existing class
3rd|+2|+2|+1|+2|Channel +1x/day|+1 lvl existing class
4th|+3|+2|+1|+2|Touched by White Flame|+1 lvl existing class
5th|+3|+3|+2|+3|Channel +1x/day|+1 lvl existing class
6th|+4|+3|+2|+3|Cleansing Fire; Radiant Soul|+1 lvl existing class
7th|+5|+4|+2|+4|Channel +1x/day|+1 lvl existing class
8th|+6/+1|+4|+3|+4|Enduring Life; Turning Mastery|+1 lvl existing class
9th|+6/+1|+5|+3|+5|Channel +1x/day|+1 lvl existing class
10th|+7/+2|+5|+3|+5|Eternal Flame; Positive Reinforcement|+1 lvl existing class
[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A White Flame Wielder gains no additional proficiency in any weapon or armor.

Spells per Day: When a new White Flame Wielder level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in a spellcasting class she belonged to before adding the prestige class. She does not, however, gain all the benefits a character of that class would have gained (e.g., free metamagic or item creation feats, hit points beyond those she receives from the prestige class, etc.). She does still gain effective levels for the purpose of casting spells. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a White Flame Wielder, she must decide to which class she adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

SPECIAL
Channel Energy: Levels of White Flame Wielder stack with any levels previously gained that grant the ability to channel positive energy. However, they stack differently for divine and arcane channelers.

For divine casters, they stack normally for all purposes.

For arcane casters, until 4th level they stack for purposes of turning undead but do not stack for any other purposes.

Endurance: The White Flame Wielder’s increased affinity with positive energy gives her the benefit of the feat Endurance so long as she has unused channeling attempts. If she should expend all her channeling attempts for the day, she loses the benefit of this feat until they are regained.

Touched by White Flame: At 4th level, a White Flame Wielder who is a divine channeler gains either the feat Alignment Channel or the feat Improved Channel (her choice).

However, if she is an arcane channeler, she gains a greater mastery of channeling positive energy and may now channel positive energy for the purposes of damaging undead as a channeler of a level equal to the sum of all arcane and divine class levels she has that grant the ability to channel positive energy for any purpose (necromancer, sacred exorcist, Paragnostic Apostle, etc). An arcane WFW never gains the ability to channel heal, but from this point onward may acquire and use divine feats that enable channeling/turning attempts to be utilized for other purposes (although they are not granted automatically by the PrC).

A WFW who is a divine and an arcane channeler gets both of the benefits above.

Cleansing Fire: The White Flame Wielder channels positive energy through her spells, causing all damage-dealing spells to deal an extra 2d6 points of damage vs. undead. This is exactly equivalent to the feat Bane Magic (undead) in Heroes of Horror, and does not stack with that feat.

Radiant Soul: The White Flame Wielder receives a bonus equal to their White Flame Wielder level to resist/recover from negative energy effects.

Enduring Life: The White Flame Wielder gains the Enduring Life feat (Libris Mortis, p.26) so long as she has at least one unused turning attempt in reserve. Enduring Life grants the ability to ignore effects of negative levels for a number of minutes equal to Con bonus and also grants a +4 bonus to Fort saves to remove negative levels.

Turning Mastery: When using the Turn Undead feat, the White Flame Wielder adds ½ their class level to the DC for undead to resist the turning attempt in addition to the ½ class level already counted in. Example: an 11th level necromancer/8th level WFW with a Charisma of 14 would have a Turning Save DC of 10 + 5 (1/2 necromancer level) + 2 (Charisma bonus) + 8 (full WFW level) = 25.

Positive Reinforcement: The White Flame Wielder casts spells that draw upon the Positive Energy plane as if their caster level were 2 levels higher. The save DC for spells drawing on the Positive Energy plane cast by a White Flame Wielder receives a +2 bonus. White Flame Wielders add +2 points for die of damage/healing to spells they cast that draw upon the Positive Energy plane.

Eternal Flame: The White Flame Wielder is no longer required to have a turning attempt in reserve for the purposes of qualifying for the Endurance and Enduring Life benefits and also gains the Lasting Life feat (Libris Mortis, p.28). Lasting Life grants the ability to shed negative levels with an act of will—once per round as a standard action, the subject may attempt to remove a single negative level from herself by making a Will save (DC 10 + ½ attacker’s HD + attacker’s Cha modifier). If the save fails, she retains the negative level but may attempt a new save on the next round to remove it.