PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Class - Star's Servant

MistressBaerne
2010-11-29, 03:57 PM
Star's Servant
So I've got this idea for a class. A very special class. A class that does not receive its powers from the gods, or from arcane energy sources, or from mystical energy fields surrounding all life. Instead, she gets them from the stars themselves, and reads the patterns of the heavens to determine their will. She is the star's servant, a fighter type that trades the ability to hit things really well for the ability to help other people hit things really well. An intelligent, philosophical sort of warrior, the star's servant delights equally in shedding the blood of the guilty and in discussing the morality of her actions afterwards.

Alignment: All star's servants are Lawful of some variety or another - the absoluter certainty that the future of the world was written in the patterns of the stars at the dawn of time tends to encourage such viewpoints.

Weapons and Armor: Star's servants are proficient with all types of armor, shields, simple, and martial weapons.

Skill Points At First Level: (4+Intelligence modifier) x 4

Skill Points Per Level: (4+Intelligence modifier)

Class Skills: Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Ride (Dex).

HD: d8

Star's Servant
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+0|
+2|
+2|
+2|Aura of the Evening Star, Star's Gift

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Shooting Star

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Star's Gift

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Star's Protection +2

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Aura of the Morning Star, Shooting Star 2/day

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Gift

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Protection +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+2|
+6|Shooting Star 3/day

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Star's Gift

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+3|
+7|Aura of the North Star

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+7|Shooting Star 4/day

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Gift

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Protection +6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+9|Shooting Star 5/day

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+5|
+9|Aura of the Shooting Star, Star's Gift

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+10|Star's Protection +6/+2

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Shooting Star 6/day

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Star's Gift

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+11|Star's Protection +6/+4

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Aura of the Firmament, Shooting Star 7/day[/table]

Star's Gift: At first level, third, and every three levels thereafter, the star's servant receives one of the following pieces of heavenly knowledge or skill:

Feather Fall at will: as the spell, except the effect can only target the star's servant.

Spider Climb at will: as the spell, except the effect can only target the star's servant.

Stargazer: The star's servant who selects this gift gains greater insight into earthly affairs. By reading the patterns of the stars, an action requiring ten minutes and a clear view of the night sky, she can gain a +4 bonus on any Knowledge check she attempts, or reroll any Knowledge check taken in the last 24 hours.

Skill Bonus: This gift grants the star's servant a +2 bonus on any star's servant class skill. This gift can be taken multiple times, applying either to a different skill or adding another +2 bonus to the same skill.

Heavenly Insight: The star's servant can, by taking a minute to study the night sky, gain a vague insight into events to come, allowing her to prepare for them. She can designate one type of roll, either a skill check, ability check, attack roll, save, etc, and reroll one such roll that day. This gift can be taken multiple times, granting one additional use of this power each time.

Speed Boost: The star's servant who takes this gift gains inspiration from the shooting star's speed. Her speed increases by 10 feet in all natural movement modes. This gift can be taken multiple times.

Aura: At first level, and every fifth level thereafter, the star's servant gains access to an aura. These auras are the product of the star's servant allowing heavenly energy to flow through her into her allies, and vary wildly in effect. Auras affect one creature per star's servant class level added to the star's servant's Charisma bonus, as well as the star's servant herself. Auras are usable at will, but only one may be active at any time.

Evening Star: This aura grants a fast healing bonus equal to the number of auras the star's servant has access to plus her Charisma bonus, if any.

Morning Star: This aura grants a bonus on melee damage rolls equal to the number of auras the star's servant has access to plus her Charisma bonus, if any.

North Star: This aura grants a luck bonus on Armor Class equal to the number of auras the star's servant has access to plus her Charisma bonus, if any.

Shooting Star: This aura enables the star's servant to fire her shooting stars in response to attacks on her allies. Anytime a creature under the effect of his aura is struck by an enemy creature in melee combat, the star's servant may immediately respond with a Shooting Star, if she has any available.

Firmament: The most powerful of the star's servant's auras, the Aura of the Firmament consists of any two other auras. This is the only circumstance under which a single star's servant may have two active auras at the same time.[/QUOTE]

Shooting Star: By channeling heavenly energy through her body, the star's servant can manifest a powerful magical attack. Starting at second level, a star's servant may take a standard action to deliver a Shooting Star, a ranged touch attack that deals 1d6/2 star's servant levels of force damage. This ability is usable once per day at second level, and one additional time every three levels thereafter.

Star's Protection: At 5th level, the star's servant learns to tap into the heavenly energies to better protect herself from unforseen catastrophes. She adds a +2 bonus to a saving throw of her choice. This bonus increases at 7th and 13th levels, and she may add +2 to a second saving throw at 16th level, improving the bonus at 19th level.

Thoughts?

Merk
2010-11-29, 04:44 PM
If I'm reading correctly, Aura of the Evening Star grants ~ 5 fast healing on level 1, which is very, very strong. On the other hand, Shooting Star is underwhelming: compare the warlock's Eldritch blast, which does comparable untyped damage, usable all day, and can link useful effects to it.

AugustNights
2010-11-30, 06:19 AM
Bab goes from +0 to +2 at second level.
Actually the whole bab table is pretty jacked up.
With the raw amount of studying this sort of flavor offers, I wouldn't be opposed to seeing all knowledges as class skills.

Star's gifts
Italiziving Star's gifts stops after Spider Climb.
I don't follow the fluff of Spiderclimb at will.
I think you could use more star's gifts, Augury seems like it would be a good one to add.
Skill bonus is kind of boring.

Auras:
Evening Star is far too powerful at first level, and a great 1 level dip.
Language on Shooting Star Aura isn't terribly Clear.
Same story with the Firament.

Shooting Star is Supernatural, yes?

All in all, It seems rather vanilla.
Have you looked at the Marshal? It's a good basis for Aura Granting 'Spell-casters.'

But as a basic idea I really like it!
Do these guys get any bonuses with starmetal and the like?

Eloel
2010-11-30, 06:26 AM
I think you should dump Spider Climb, and instead let Feather Fall be taken multiple times.
Something like:
1st take: Feather Fall
2nd take: Fly (average)
3rd take: Fly (perfect)

Other than that, pretty straightforward. A stereotypical Tier 5, power-wise, not sure if that's what you were aiming at.

Edit: Except as a dip. A 1 level dip is pretty much a must-have for any Cha-based class.

MistressBaerne
2010-11-30, 12:59 PM
So as you may have noticed, I'm much better at fluff than rules. :smallsmile:

With regards to Star's Gift(s), I actually did want there to be more, but ran out of ideas. Ozgun's feather fall one, in particular, is excellent, and I shall be looking into that - though maybe with a minimum level restriction; perfect flying at 6th level is a bit overpowered.

Regarding the auras and their poor descriptions - My fault, no excuses there. Shooting Star Aura was supposed to take the spell electric vengeance, load it with steroids, and shove it in the face of anybody who happened to attack somebody affected by it - basically, the orc hits the wizard under the aura, and the star's servant takes the opportunity to send a shooting star through the aura and roast him. I think I may change that into a Star's Gift or dispose of it entirely and replace that aura with something else.

Aura of the Firmament allows a single star's servant to have more than one aura active at the same time, two to be specific.

Yes, Shooting Stars are a Supernatural ability. I'm a bit torn about them, because I don't want to just steal the warlock's eldritch blast and rename it, which it seems I'd need to do to make the things work, but I also wanted to give the class a bit of offensive power. Same reason it has the best BAB progression, actually... maybe I could simply stick offense firmly in the mundane field, leave starpower (:smallsmile:) to deal solely with auras and Gifts?

ChumpLump, what do you mean about the BAB table being jacked up? And have you got any ideas for Star's Gifts? Thirdly, what does "Italiziving" mean?

Ozgun, terribly sorry, but I don't know what a dip is. Can I get an explanation, pretty please?

That was a bit of a rambling post, but it'll be finished soon, promise! For Round One of changes, I shall add more (as-yet-undetermined) Star's Gifts, remove the spider climb one because it doesn't actually work with the fluff, add more knowledge skills, and rework the Shooting Stars and their Aura as soon as I have the time.

Eloel
2010-11-30, 01:35 PM
ChumpLump, what do you mean about the BAB table being jacked up? And have you got any ideas for Star's Gifts? Thirdly, what does "Italiziving" mean?
The guy seems to be getting +0 BAB at L1, +2 BAB at L2. Seems not right.

For Star's Gift, maybe one with Low-Light Vision, Darkvision 60ft and Touchsight 30ft (progression)? Fluff it as Starlight guiding you.

Ozgun, terribly sorry, but I don't know what a dip is. Can I get an explanation, pretty please?
Taking a 1 level dip means builds like Sorcerer 19/Star's Servant 1. That is not what most homebrewers want, ideally you want people to stay in for all 20 levels, so I thought it'd be fair warning.

Another idea I got was making the gifts auto-scale. As in,

Feather Fall:
When you take this gift, you're under constant Feather Fall effect. When you take your next gift (which can be any gift, no need to spend multiples) (so really, 3 levels after you choose the gift), you gain a fly speed equal to your land speed with Average mobility. When you take another gift after that (basically, 6 levels after you first get the ability), your mobility becomes Perfect

This allows people to choose more gifts, which gives them more power & versatility. That is good, since the class right now is underpowered.

Also, another gift:

Aligned Stars: You gain a Luck feat. 3 levels and 6 levels after you gain this gift, you gain an extra reroll per day. (was it called Luck points? can't be sure)

AugustNights
2010-11-30, 03:24 PM
Aura of the Firmament allows a single star's servant to have more than one aura active at the same time, two to be specific.

Hmmm seems over powering so early on, really it should be its own ability at a late level.

Yes, Shooting Stars are a Supernatural ability. I'm a bit torn about them, because I don't want to just steal the warlock's eldritch blast and rename it, which it seems I'd need to do to make the things work, but I also wanted to give the class a bit of offensive power. Same reason it has the best BAB progression, actually... maybe I could simply stick offense firmly in the mundane field, leave starpower (:smallsmile:) to deal solely with auras and Gifts?

Maybe check out the Marshal (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20030906b) and my Sage (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4421583#post4421583) if you want some aura ideas.

I'd vote for a 3/4 bab. Your buffs will make you offensive enough, trust me.

I like the responsive attack thing that Shooting Stars has going on... With some cleaner language it could fascinating... maybe as a higher level power, and give it a scaling Magic Missiles like effect (Weaker than E.Blast, but always hits. It was destined by the stars!)

This is Italicizing and what I meant to say. My Spanish computer doesn't have spell check...

Merk
2010-11-30, 03:26 PM

That was a bit of a rambling post, but it'll be finished soon, promise! For Round One of changes, I shall add more (as-yet-undetermined) Star's Gifts, remove the spider climb one because it doesn't actually work with the fluff, add more knowledge skills, and rework the Shooting Stars and their Aura as soon as I have the time.

Since this is a full BAB class, it hardly needs the shooting star to be a ranged touch attack. You could instead have Shooting Star add bonus damage to an attack that you're already making.

Gandariel
2010-11-30, 04:08 PM
first of all, you should just fix the BAB table (give it +1 at first level) and the saves table (use the standard progression)

Then...
The Shooting star ability is kinda weak...
i got a GREAT idea to fix it:
give to the charachter some Stars!
for example, at first level he has 1 star, maybe he gets a second one at level 4, and so on.
these stars just stand in the sky and "follow" you.
all your abilities could be related to your stars..
like, your abilities improve as you get more stars, you use them to always know your position and the north...and most important, you could completely re-do your Shooting Star ability...
something like... a bolt of force originates from the star and hits the enemies from the sky with an area damage (you get more uses and more damage as you get more stars)

AND at level 20 you get the capstone: all of your stars FALL on your enemy, with devastating damage and craters

how about it?

blackmage
2010-11-30, 07:49 PM
So as you may have noticed, I'm much better at fluff than rules. :smallsmile:

That is why the playground is here. Sorry if I come off harsh in any of this, I'm not sayin' things to be hatin', just trying to help polish. I'll come back tomorrow and see what else I can contribute other than a red pen :smallredface:

Weapons and Armor: Star's servants are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).
Changed to the standard wording. Do they have tower shield proficiency?

Feather Fall: At will, the Star's Servant can use Feather Fall as the spell, except the effect can only target the star's servant.

Spider Climb: At will, the Star's Servant can use Spider Climb as the spell, except the effect can only target the star's servant.

Tweaked to standard wording.

Stargazer: The star's servant who selects this gift gains greater insight into earthly affairs. By reading the patterns of the stars, an action requiring ten minutes and a clear view of the night sky, she can gain a +4 bonus on any single Knowledge check she attempts, or reroll any Knowledge check taken in the last 24 hours.

I'm assuming you meant this lets you get a bonus to a single knowledge check.

Heavenly Insight: The star's servant can, by taking a minute to study the night sky, gain a vague insight into events to come, allowing her to prepare for them. She can designate one type of roll, either a skill check, ability check, attack roll, save, etc, and reroll one such roll that day. This gift can be taken multiple times, granting one additional use of this power each time.

I like the stars giving a vague prediction flavor here, but I think the minute of studying the sky is muddying it. How about at the beginning of the day, the servant chooses which types of rerolls to 'prepare'. Actually, there might be a much broader mechanic hiding in here...

...Yeah, I really like this one. I think the insight or luck of the stars could be expanded to be a main part of the class. Say you have a certain number of reroll 'slots', at the start of the day you 'prepare' the slot by assigning a roll type to it, and can make reroll once for each prepared slot. /ponders

Speed Boost: The star's servant who takes this gift gains inspiration from the shooting star's speed. The star's servant gains an enhancement bonus to her speed of 10 feet in all natural movement modes. This gift can be taken multiple times, adding 10 feet to the movement bonus each time it is taken.

I think this needs to be an enhancement bonus, if untyped so it stacked with, say, a scout or monk's movement, it might be another dip abuse.

Aura: At first level, and every fifth level thereafter, the star's servant gains access to an aura, as shown in the table above. These auras are the product of the star's servant allowing heavenly energy to flow through her into her allies, and vary wildly in effect. Auras affect one creature per star's servant class level added to the star's servant's Charisma bonus, as well as the star's servant herself. Auras are usable at will, but only one may be active at any time.

Added 'as shown in the table above' to the first sentence, to indicate this is a fixed progression and not a pick-and-choose list like the gifts.

Star's Protection: At 5th level, the star's servant learns to tap into the heavenly energies to better protect herself from unforseen catastrophes. She adds a +2 untyped bonus to a saving throw of her choice. This bonus increases to +4 at 7th level and +6 at 13th level. At 16th level, she may add +2 to a second saving throw at 16th level, which improves to +4 at 19th level.

Changed wording to specify what bonuses you get at various levels...but I'm not sure I got it right, according to what you intended.

MistressBaerne
2010-12-01, 08:48 AM
Take 2; thanks so much for everyone's help!

Star's Servant
There is indisputably power to be found in the writings of ancient wizards, in the teachings of the gods, in the study of internal energy. However, the star's servant does not receive her formidable abilities from any of these sources. Instead, she gets them from the stars themselves. She is a potent warrior as well as a philosopher, equally likely to champion her cause on the battlefield as in a formal debate. Intelligent as well as strong and swift, the star's servant is the ideal of a balanced individual - Stars, Mind, and Body in Alignment is her creed.

Alignment: All star's servants are Lawful of some variety or another - the absolute certainty that the future of the world was written in the patterns of the stars at the dawn of time tends to encourage such viewpoints.

Weapons and Armor: Star's servants are proficient with all simple and martial weapons and with all armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).

Class Skills: Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Ride (Dex).

Star's Servant

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+3|Aligned Stars (1 Star)

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Star's Gift

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Star's Protection +2

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+4|Aura of the Morning Star, Aligned Stars (2nd Star)

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Gift

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Protection +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+2|
+6|Aligned Stars (3rd Star)

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Star's Gift

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+3|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+3|
+7|Aligned Stars (4th Star)

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Gift

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Protection +6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+4|
+9|Aligned Stars (5th Star)

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+5|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+10|Aligned Stars (6th Star)

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Star's Gift

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|
+12|Aura of the Firmament, Aligned Stars (7th Star)[/table]

Star's Gift: At first level, third, and every three levels thereafter, the star's servant receives one of the following pieces of heavenly knowledge or skill:

Star's Buoyancy: At will, the Star's Servant can use Feather Fall as the spell, except the effect can only target the star's servant. This Gift improves as the star's servant obtains more Star's Gifts - The first Gift received after choosing Star's Buoyancy allows the star's servant to fly at her normal land speed with Average manoeverability, and the second Gift received after choosing Star's Buoyancy improves the star's servant's manoeverability to Perfect.

Stargazer: The star's servant who selects this Gift gains greater insight into earthly affairs. By reading the patterns of the stars, an action requiring ten minutes and a clear view of the night sky, she can gain a +4 bonus on any single Knowledge check she attempts, or reroll any Knowledge check taken in the last 24 hours. This Gift can be taken multiple times, allowing another bonus or reroll per day.

Skill Bonus: This Gift grants the star's servant a +2 bonus on any star's servant class skill. This Gift can be taken multiple times, applying either to a different skill or adding another +2 bonus to the same skill.

Star's Speed: The star's servant who takes this Gift gains inspiration from the shooting star's speed. The star's servant gains an enhancement bonus to her speed of 10 feet in all natural movement modes. This gift can be taken multiple times, adding 10 feet to the movement bonus each time it is taken.

Star's Vitality: The star's servant who takes this Gift seeks to emulate the stars' constancy. She gains 3 hit points. This Gift may be taken multiple times.

Star's Guiding Light: The star's servant who takes this Gift is guided by the light of the stars. She either gains 60 ft. low-light vision or improves an already-existing low-light vision by 60 ft. This Gift improves as the star's servant obtains more Star's Gifts - The first Gift received after choosing Star's Guiding Light grants the star's servant darvision 60 ft, and the second Gift received after choosing Star's Guiding Light grants the star's servant blindsight 60 ft.

Aura: At first level, and every fifth level thereafter, the star's servant gains access to an aura, as shown in the table above. These auras are the product of the star's servant allowing heavenly energy to flow through her into her allies, and vary wildly in effect. Auras affect one creature per star's servant class level added to the star's servant's Charisma bonus, as well as the star's servant herself. Auras are usable at will, but only one may be active at any time. Changing, activating, or deactivating an aura is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Evening Star: This aura grants a fast healing bonus equal to 1/4th her star's servant class level, rounded down. (Minimum bonus 1)

Morning Star: This aura grants a bonus on melee damage rolls equal to 1/4th her star's servant class level, rounded down. (Minimum bonus 1)

North Star: This aura grants a luck bonus on Armor Class equal to 1/4th her star's servant class level, rounded down. (Minimum bonus 1)

Shooting Star: This aura allows a star's servant to defend her allies with bolts of heavenly energy. Between the end of her turn and the start of her next turn she may strike a creature that has inflicted melee damage on a creature under the effect of this aura with a bolt of energy. This bolt deals 1d6 points of force damage for each aura the star's servant has access to, up to a maximum of 5d6 at 20th level, and automatically hits. A Reflex save with a DC of 10 + 1/4 the star's servant's class level + the star's servant Charisma bonus (if any) reduces the damage by half.

Firmament: This aura allows a star's servant to combine two auras. Which two auras make up the Aura of the Firmament is chosen each time the star's servant activates the aura, and may be different each time she does so. The Aura of the Firmament has all the effects of both component auras.

Aligned Stars: Starting at 2nd level, the star's servant begins to discover which stars are most closely attuned to her own fate, and by studying these stars, she can prepare for future events. At 2nd level, she may designate one type of roll at the start of the day (skill check, attack roll, saving throw, initiative check, or opposed ability check) and reroll one such roll once that day. At 5th level, the star's servant discovers another aligned star and may do the same thing for two rolls, either of the same or different types. At 8th, 11th, 11th, 17th, and 20th levels she discovers more aligned stars and gains an additional use of this power each time. At 20th level, she has discovered the seven stars that make up her personal constellation.

Star's Protection: At 5th level, the star's servant learns to tap into the heavenly energies to better protect herself from unforseen catastrophes. She adds a +2 untyped bonus to a saving throw of her choice. This bonus increases to +4 at 7th level and +6 at 13th level. At 16th level, she may add +2 to a second saving throw, which improves to +4 at 19th level.

Thoughts?

Gandariel
2010-12-01, 12:23 PM
much better ^^

just, modify the saves progression and make it the standard one..

and, try re-creating the Shooting Star ability..
i don't really know how, but i think it will work.
And, give the class a capstone:
a big, nice, devastating ability at level 20 (my idea was having your stars literally FALL on your enemies)

Eloel
2010-12-01, 12:32 PM
Keep in mind that Blindsight is kinda powerful - you might want to limit it to 30ft.

Star's Vitality is way too weak - you should consider making it Improved Toughness-ish, granting 1HP/HD. Maybe make it 2+1/HD, to keep the bonus helpful at L1?

As for capstone, maybe she literally gets a star in the sky? Don't think too much on the cosmic aspect of it, "A Wizard did it" exists, after all.

Capstone idea:

Personal Star: At level20, a star appears in the sky to guide the Star's Servant. Once per day, she can use Limited Wish as a SLA. If she does anything normally requiring more than 300XP with the SLA, she must still pay the XP cost. Caster level for the Limited Wish is the character's Star's Servant level, and DC, if one is needed, is 17+Cha Modifier.

Maybe an additional clause like:

If she can see her star at time of casting, she might instead cast Wish, paying the full XP cost.

Edit:
Here, use this table with saves fixed (noparse'd for your convenience)

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Star's Gift

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Star's Protection +2

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Star's Gift

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|Star's Protection +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Star's Gift

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+8|Star's Gift

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+8|Star's Protection +6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Star's Gift

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|

blackmage
2010-12-01, 01:07 PM
Here's the corrected save progression

Star's Servant

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Star's Gift

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Star's Protection +2

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Gift

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Protection +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+2|

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Star's Gift

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+3|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+3|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Gift

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Protection +6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+4|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+5|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Star's Gift

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|

And the code for it:

Star's Servant

1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+1|
+3|Star's Gift

4th|
+4|
+1|
+1|
+4|Star's Protection +2

5th|
+5|
+1|
+1|

6th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Gift

7th|
+7/+2|
+2|
+2|
+5|Star's Protection +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+2|
+2|

9th|
+9/+4|
+3|
+3|
+6|Star's Gift

10th|
+10/+5|
+3|
+3|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+3|
+3|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Gift

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+4|
+4|
+8|Star's Protection +6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+4|
+4|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+5|
+5|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+5|
+5|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+5|
+5|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+6|
+6|
+11|Star's Gift

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+6|
+6|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+6|
+6|

I've noticed that you get a total of 7 Star's Gifts, but there are only 7 to choose from. More gifts!

Star's Warning: Starlight warns of approaching danger. The Star's Servant always gets to act during the surprise round.

Starry Vengeance: To choose this gift you must have access to the Aura of the Shooting Star. The damage dealt by Shooting Star is increased by 1d6. You may select this gift multiple times.

Edit: I see I was ninja'd on the table, drat.

MistressBaerne
2010-12-02, 01:23 PM
Take 3. I basically just took all the suggestions, as they're so good.

Star's Servant
There is indisputably power to be found in the writings of ancient wizards, in the teachings of the gods, in the study of internal energy. However, the star's servant does not receive her formidable abilities from any of these sources. Instead, she gets them from the stars themselves. She is a potent warrior as well as a philosopher, equally likely to champion her cause on the battlefield as in a formal debate. Intelligent as well as strong and swift, the star's servant is the ideal of a balanced individual - Stars, Mind, and Body in Alignment is her creed.

Alignment: All star's servants are Lawful of some variety or another - the absolute certainty that the future of the world was written in the patterns of the stars at the dawn of time tends to encourage such viewpoints.

Class Skills: Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (all skills, taken individually) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Ride (Dex).

Star's Servant

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+3|Star's Gift

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+4|Star's Protection +2

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|

6th|
+6/+1|
+5|
+5|
+5|Star's Gift

7th|
+7/+2|
+5|
+5|
+5|Star's Protection +4

8th|
+8/+3|
+6|
+6|

9th|
+9/+4|
+6|
+6|
+6|Star's Gift

10th|
+10/+5|
+7|
+7|

11th|
+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+7|

12th|
+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+8|
+8|Star's Gift

13th|
+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+8|
+8|Star's Protection +6

14th|
+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+9|

15th|
+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+9|

16th|
+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+10|

17th|
+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+10|

18th|
+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+11|
+11|Star's Gift

19th|
+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+11|

20th|
+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+12|
+12|Aura of the Firmament, Aligned Stars (Constellation)[/table]

Star's Buoyancy: At will, the Star's Servant can use Feather Fall as the spell, except the effect can only target the star's servant. This Gift improves as the star's servant obtains more Star's Gifts - The first Gift received after choosing Star's Buoyancy allows the star's servant to fly at her normal land speed with Average manoeverability, and the second Gift received after choosing Star's Buoyancy improves the star's servant's manoeverability to Perfect.

Stargazer: The star's servant who selects this Gift gains greater insight into earthly affairs. By reading the patterns of the stars, an action requiring ten minutes and a clear view of the night sky, she can gain a +4 bonus on any single Knowledge check she attempts, or reroll any Knowledge check taken in the last 24 hours. This Gift can be taken multiple times, allowing another bonus or reroll per day.

Skill Bonus: This Gift grants the star's servant a +2 bonus on any star's servant class skill. This Gift can be taken multiple times, applying either to a different skill or adding another +2 bonus to the same skill.

Star's Speed: The star's servant who takes this Gift gains inspiration from the shooting star's speed. The star's servant gains an enhancement bonus to her speed of 10 feet in all natural movement modes. This gift can be taken multiple times, adding 10 feet to the movement bonus each time it is taken.

Star's Vitality: The star's servant who takes this Gift seeks to emulate the stars' constancy. She gains 2 hit points, plus 1 HP per star's servant level. This Gift may be taken multiple times.

Star's Guiding Light: The star's servant who takes this Gift is guided by the light of the stars. She either gains 60 ft. low-light vision or improves an already-existing low-light vision by 60 ft. This Gift improves as the star's servant obtains more Star's Gifts - The first Gift received after choosing Star's Guiding Light grants the star's servant darvision 60 ft, and the second Gift received after choosing Star's Guiding Light grants the star's servant blindsight 60 ft.

Star's Warning: Starlight warns of approaching danger. The Star's Servant who selects this Gift always gets to act during the surprise round.

Starry Vengeance: To choose this Gift you must have access to the Aura of the Shooting Star. The damage dealt by Shooting Star is increased by 1d6. You may select this gift multiple times. It's effects stack.

Aura: At first level, and every fifth level thereafter, the star's servant gains access to an aura, as shown in the table above. These auras are the product of the star's servant allowing heavenly energy to flow through her into her allies, and vary wildly in effect. Auras affect one creature per star's servant class level added to the star's servant's Charisma bonus, as well as the star's servant herself. Auras are usable at will, but only one may be active at any time. Changing, activating, or deactivating an aura is a standard action that does not provoke an attack of opportunity.

Evening Star: This aura grants a fast healing bonus equal to 1/4th her star's servant class level, rounded down. (Minimum bonus 1)

Morning Star: This aura grants a bonus on melee damage rolls equal to 1/4th her star's servant class level, rounded down. (Minimum bonus 1)

North Star: This aura grants a luck bonus on Armor Class equal to 1/4th her star's servant class level, rounded down. (Minimum bonus 1)

Shooting Star: This aura allows a star's servant to defend her allies with bolts of heavenly energy. Between the end of her turn and the start of her next turn she may strike a creature that has inflicted melee damage on a creature under the effect of this aura with a bolt of energy. This bolt deals 1d6 points of force damage for each aura the star's servant has access to, up to a maximum of 5d6 at 20th level, and automatically hits. A Reflex save with a DC of 10 + 1/4 the star's servant's class level + the star's servant Charisma bonus (if any) reduces the damage by half.

Firmament: This aura allows a star's servant to combine two auras. Which two auras make up the Aura of the Firmament is chosen each time the star's servant activates the aura, and may be different each time she does so. The Aura of the Firmament has all the effects of both component auras.

Aligned Stars: Starting at 2nd level, the star's servant begins to discover which stars are most closely attuned to her own fate, and by studying these stars, she can prepare for future events. At 2nd level, she may designate one type of roll at the start of the day (skill check, attack roll, saving throw, initiative check, or opposed ability check) and reroll one such roll once that day. At 5th level, the star's servant discovers another aligned star and may do the same thing for two rolls, either of the same or different types. At 8th, 11th, 11th, and 17th levels she discovers more aligned stars and gains an additional use of this power each time. At 20th level, she has discovered the seven stars that make up her personal constellation. In addition to allowing another reroll, the star's servant may use Limited Wish once per day as a supernatural ability, disregarding the normal XP cost. If she does anything normally requiring more than 300XP with the ability, she must still pay the XP cost. The caster level for the Limited Wish is equal to the character's star's servant level, and the save DC, if one is needed, is 17+the star's servant's Charisma modifier (if any).

Star's Protection: At 5th level, the star's servant learns to tap into the heavenly energies to better protect herself from unforseen catastrophes. She adds a +2 untyped bonus to a saving throw of her choice. This bonus increases to +4 at 7th level and +6 at 13th level. At 16th level, she may add +2 to a second saving throw, which improves to +4 at 19th level.

Alright, there we go. One class in something resembling a servicable form - thanks, everyone.

Gandariel
2010-12-02, 01:42 PM
you should say how many times you can use the Limited wish...

MistressBaerne
2010-12-02, 02:11 PM
Oops! Once per day, I'll just go edit that in.

I don't think that's too terribly overpowered, do you?

Gandariel
2010-12-02, 02:21 PM
at level 20? no, that's ok. you could even get them Wish and it wouldn't be so overpowered

Eloel
2010-12-03, 12:39 AM
at level 20? no, that's ok. you could even get them Wish and it wouldn't be so overpowered

Wish without XP costs leads to all kinds of different abuses though.

Satyrus
2010-12-03, 01:28 AM
Just to be clear for Star's Buoyancy do you gain improved flight abilities from every time you get a new gift after you choose it or was it meant to be that selecting the Star's Buoyancy gift again you gain improved flight capabilities. As it's written now it seems the former which and I'd definitely take it at 1st level to get flight at third level with the 2nd gift.

MistressBaerne
2010-12-03, 11:37 AM
It is indeed the former.

Gandariel
2010-12-03, 12:21 PM
Wish without XP costs leads to all kinds of different abuses though.

first, it's 1/day

then

If she does anything normally requiring more than 300XP with the ability, she must still pay the XP

Eloel
2010-12-03, 12:27 PM
first, it's 1/day

then
Wish has the clause
# Create a magic item, or add to the powers of an existing magic item.
Bad, bad idea, since it has no cash limit on there.

MistressBaerne
2010-12-03, 04:51 PM
But there is an XP requirement abover and beyond the normal 300, or at least that's the way my groups have always played. And all adventurers value their XP more than their GP, because the one can only be got by surviving dangerous battles and the other can be got by robbing commoners.

Gandariel
2010-12-09, 12:40 PM
Bad, bad idea, since it has no cash limit on there.

cm on, it's not so difficult to just put a limit on it.

it's 1/day, you can just make it exactly like the Wiz/sorc spell, (who at level 20 get to do it several times/day)

true_shinken
2010-12-11, 10:38 AM
Man, I love this! Very good work!
The fluff is awesome and the mechanics are tight.
I just don't feel like it should be a base class. What about a feat-chain that gives some of the class's abilities (somewhat like a Binder) and/or a similar prestige class (like Ninja -> Ghostfaced Killer).