PDA

View Full Version : Revolt in Alarond

Lazlow
2010-11-30, 10:54 AM
Dark times have fallen upon the Dwarven Kingdom of Alarond. Over two decades ago, King Durim set off on a crusade to liberate the High Fell, which legend held to be the ancient birthplace of Alar, founder of Alarond and its most venerated hero. Nearly a decade after Durim's last missive, the citizens of Alarond started fearing the worst.

Those fears were quickly realized. Declared dead by the High Council, Durim's oldest son Furim was pronounced successor - but soon fell mysteriously ill and died within days of the announcement. His brother Haakon was then pronounced king, but he fell to an assassin's arrow whilst in procession to the crowning ceremony. The assassin was quickly caught but chose the coward's way out and took his own life before any information could be gleaned. Those being the only sons of Durim, the succession fell into dispute.

No less than half of the twelve noble houses of Alarond lay claim to the throne, and the other half either could not or would not support any one house for fear of reprisal. Factions were formed, plots arose, conspiracy gave way to treachery, and just as the kingdom seemed poised on the brink of civil war - a single Dwarf arose.

Gudrik was his name, of the House of Skallgrim. Seemingly overnight he won the support of one house, then another, then another, until finally the rest had no choice but to fall in line or fall out of favor. Rumors arose as to exactly how he won this support, some said he used the black magic of an evil wizard, others said he was the evil wizard himself.

Within weeks Gudrik was pronounced king. Within months the kingdom had changed completely. Nearly all the images of King Durim were destroyed, those still loyal to him were removed from civil service, and his personal guard was disbanded. The once-thriving capital, a hub of international commerce and one of the most cosmopolitan cities of the North, all but closed its gates to outsiders. Today barely a trickle of trade comes in or out. Instead, the craftsmen, workers, and coffers of the wealthiest merchants were turned toward a single purpose: War.

Gudrik proclaimed that the Stormford, a neighboring duchy to the East, was within the ancient boundaries of Alarond, which he sought to restore. Troops invaded the peaceful community and within three days Gudrik held the city's river port, levying heavy taxes on all trade and tolls on all river traffic, often seizing cargo with little or no legitimate cause.

Soon other neighboring city-states fell like the Stormford. Gudrik's armies struck like lightning, quashing any resistance and seizing anything of value. Back home in the capital city, citizens lived in fear, often refusing to leave their own homes for fear of being conscripted to the king's armies or being imprisoned on trumped-up charges by the king's network of spies and informants. It seemed that Gudrik's iron-fisted rule would be allowed to grow unchecked, until--

Celebration Day. The birthday of Alar, and the kingdom's highest and holiest holiday. Tradition held that the observance be marked by a week-long jubilee, but needless to say this year's festivities were barely a diversion from the new rule's oppression. The only festivity, if it could even be called that, was the King's Guard's procession through the parade grounds. Attendance was mandatory.

The black-helmed guards went through the motions of their drills as the citizens stood obediently, lining the edges of the parade grounds. King Gudrik sat high on a dais watching the proceedings. The only sounds were of clinking armor and booted feet marching in unison.

Suddenly, a blinding flash of light from well above the grounds threw white sparks into the air. The soldiers stopped and drew their weapons, the people cowered. Gudrik rose from his throne.

A shining figure in white robes hovered in mid-air. Slowly, it raised a hand and pointed at Gudrik. An otherworldly voice that sounded as if it were both whispered and trumpeted on ancient battle horns said two words that the entire kingdom, to this day, has never forgotten:

"Durim lives."

For the past year or so your only work with the resistance in Alarond was to simply sit tight and stay out of the eye of the Blackhelms, the ever-present guardsmen of King Gudrik. You had all volunteered to be used as best as the leaders of the resistance deemed fit, and one by one, you all received a message to meet Rollo, who was to be your contact and handler. You met at the appointed time and place.

"I've picked each of you for a special assignment," Rollo said. "Your individual skills and strengths will complement each other and make a formidible tool of the resistance. As you well know, our resources are in short supply - I apologize in advance for having to outfit you so poorly for this mission, but it is the best we can do at this time. Obviously, you will need to rely on each other's strengths to carry out your mission.

"A contingent of Gudrik's forces are moving to cut off Eres Pass, which as you know is the only major pass through the Western range. If Gudrik takes this pass, he can effectively control movement into and out of the entire western half of the region. We can't let this happen. Luckily, Captain Bloodbeard's troops are hidden away in the Whiterock caves, only two days march from the pass.

"Over the last few months we've been slowly amassing additional troops with your own. The problem, of course, is again one of resources: While your troops are lucky enough to be armed and armored, ours are poorly equipped at best. We must remedy this, and here is how: Our sources inform us a Blackhelm supply shipment is heading toward Ereston, where Gudrik's forces are massing. You five must 'acquire' that shipment and abscond with it to the Whiterock caves.

"You have an advantage in that Gudrik is still trying to keep this latest offensive under wraps, so the shipment will be traveling incognito (as best it can) and will not be as heavily guarded as other military caravans. Nevertheless, you will undoubtedly be outnumbered. Prudence would also suggest that you do your best in not allowing any Blackhelms to escape and therefore warn the force in Ereston of the captured shipment - I would rather they think the shipment is simply delayed for a day or two and buy us some time rather than have a survivor inform them that it's gone completely - but I know that is a tall order. Do what you can. Extra time would be nice, but the supplies are most important.

"And to answer your unspoken question: We cannot risk a larger force to go seize this shipment. It would be easy and quick to send your troops, Captain, but as best we know, Gudrik does not suspect that we have any large number of troops at our disposal. Indeed, while he and his Blackhelms know "a resistance" exists, we do not believe he is aware of the scope of our organization. We would like to keep it that way as long as possible.

"The shipment is scheduled to reach Ereston exactly one fortnight from tonight. They will leave the capital in three days and will be taking the northwestern roads, through Riverwood, in order to avoid the larger towns and settlements. It should take them a week to reach Riverwood and at least three days afterwards to travel all the way through it, and it is in there I believe your best chance of suprise would be. It is also near the Northern Road, which should get you to the Whiterock caves in two days' time. Depending on how quickly you can seize the shipment and get it to the caves, we could quite possibly have our troops armed and on the move before the shipment is even scheduled to arrive at its intended destination.

"Now, I understand that this is a tall order. I'm sure I don't need to impress upon you the danger involved, but the reward of this risk is indeed high. Losing this shipment would be a blow to Gudrik's advance and a major win for the resistance. However, this mission is only the first leg of your journey." Here Rollo's professional demeanor softened a bit.

"As I said, you've all been specially picked for this mission: Orinn, your physical and moral strength in fighting this tyranny is rapidly becoming legendary among the people. Rogin, your strength and steadfastness is indeed formidible, and the mission Abbot Stoneface set for you is in step with our own. Captain Darkwalker, your family has served Durim for generations, and your skills will be invaluable both on this mission and in days to come. Captain Bloodbeard, your esteemed leadership is paramount in preparing your troops and ours in what will be the first major military action of the resistance. And finally, Brottor, your... 'Special' abilities, shall we say, will prove to be our enemy's downfall," whispered Rollo, his eyes burning with an inner light.

After a moment, he gathered himself and concluded, "I have other business to attend to in the coming days, but I will meet with you again in the Whiterock caves soon after you arrive there. Good luck, and may Moradin guide you."

Over the next few days you slowly made your way to the edges of Riverwood forest. Normally it would have taken you only half the time, but with the Blackhelms restricting travel, guarding the gates of every major town, and patrolling the major roads, you find it considerably difficult to get there. In fact, you had to sneak out of the last town under cover of darkness just to aviod the guards. You found your cache of weapons and armor at the appointed place on the outskirts of town, and once out in the wilderness, you are able to freely equip them.

You set up camp within the forest and wait. The shipment is scheduled to arrive at the edge of the wood in about a day.

Pertinent links:

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177009)

The Party:
Hank Pym Killian Bloodbeard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=255942), Fighter
Shyftir Tor Darkwalker (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=255460), Scout/Cavestalker
AshesOfOld Rogin Sutheim (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=255112), Monk
Kantolin Brottor Dankil (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=255145), Cleric
MandibleBones Orinn, son of Orinn (http://www.thetangledweb.net/forums/profiler/view_char.php?cid=42967), Ex-Paladin/Holy Liberator

Shyftir
2010-11-30, 08:51 PM
"Well, looks like tomorrow is the big day. How do you wanna do this, classic downed trees in the road trick? Most important thing is to keep 'em guessing "a confused soldier is an ineffective soldier."

Tolin looked at the others over the fire. They had arrived and set up camp quickly and now had a short period of time to plan. They would need an early start in the morning to enact whatever plans they made now.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-01, 03:04 PM
The sinewy monk, Rogin, sits cross-legged on the other side of the fire, his long grey beard reflecting the light of the flames in silver. He scratches his bald head and stares into the fire, his thoughts seeming far away. Tolin's words seem to bring his eyes back to focus.
The element of surprise is important. We should do what we can to prevent them from suspecting anything until it is too late. But some sort of roadblock will be crucial, lest we lose our precious cargo. Do we have any means of discerning their numbers before they get here?

MandibleBones
2010-12-01, 03:41 PM
Orinn Orinnson sits besite the fire, occasionally sharing small bits of meat with his faithful hawk companion, Orestes. Otherwise, he sits in uncharacteristic silence, carefully maintaining the string of his bow.

After a long pause, he answers Rogin.

"Orestes says he's for scouting on ahead," the liberator says. "Mayhap we can get a look a their numbers before we go all blundering into them."

Shyftir
2010-12-01, 04:08 PM
Tolin nods his head sagely and agrees. "Aye, accurate intelligence is key to commando ops." He pauses and stares into the fire for a second before looking back up. "We should probably establish chain of command. I realize this is not the military but combat without clear leadership is foolishness."

AshesOfOld
2010-12-02, 06:03 AM
Very good, Orinn. We also need to find the best possible spot for our ambush. Rogin turns to Tolin And I suppose you're right, when it comes to combat situations, it would be good if we followed one voice as one mind. In all other aspects of our endeavour, I would prefer if we each got our say.

Kantolin
2010-12-02, 11:10 AM
Brottor exhaled, arms crossed in thought for a moment.

"While I know little of a... mission of this style, if their caravans are wheeled, then the roads can be destroyed or damaged ahead of them, slowing them considerably without directly stopping them until we'd choose to."

He had to pause for a moment to reflect on his suggestion; these were dark times indeed. "Our roads are masterfully built, though, so he may become aware that something is up. Nonetheless, as it is written, 'Those who turn away from the earth find no solace there'."

Then, to Tolin's question, he continued, "I'm easily the least aid as a leader for this mission; scripture could help, but Gudrik knows them too. It sounds like all four of you are more familiar?"

He tugged a bit on his braided black beard, looking at the others.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-02, 04:54 PM
Well, though I've been in quite a few scrapes in my time, they mostly revolved around creatures assaulting me. I doubt I am the most capable for this operation's leadership.
But while on the subject of being assaulted, I do recall Captain Darkwalker being part of an expedition to find our King Durim some time ago. We were ambushed by a large contingent of orcs, and they certainly know how to lay a proper ambush. As we walked through this mouintain pass at nightfall with cliffs on both sides, there was a sudden landslide, followed by large balls of burning hay. The orcs filled the sky with arrows until their melee force had reached us. It was chaos. I got lost from the others and although we eventually beat them, I later heard our numbers had been so greatly diminished that the other survivors had to turn back.
Rogin stares into the fire, then shakes his head and coughs
Point is, there must be a way to use the territory to our advantage. Like, does any of you know how to make traps?

MandibleBones
2010-12-06, 03:07 PM
Orinn grunts. "Other than the usual ambush bit, not really," he says. "I never really planned that far ahead."

Shyftir
2010-12-07, 06:13 AM
"Well, I'm not much for trapmakin' but I do have a good bit of information about the forest we plan on using as an ambush site." Tolin drawled out as he fetched his map case. The scout proceeded to lay the map out on the ground nearby so that everybody could see what was a pretty detailed map of the area.

"We're around here." He pointed to an area on the northwest portion of the map. "And this," He traced a line through the forest. "Is the high road."

Lazlow
2010-12-07, 11:50 AM
Tolin's maps are indeed highly detailed, with insets showing closer details of certain areas almost down to the tree, like where the high road enters the forest proper, or where it fords the river, or where caravans, hunting parties, gypsies and the like have made clearings over the decades with camps. It also notes where Wild Elves had been sighted with some regularity but, as probably expected, doesn't note where their camps are (due to their nomadic and secretive nature). The Wild Elves are also the main reason there is little to no river traffic through the forest, as raiding is a continuing problem for those who try.

As you all look over the map with ambush in mind, you note that while pretty much anywhere in the forest might be alright due to the dense tree coverage, there are certain areas that lend themselves particularly well:

the ford, where the wagons will have to slow down to cross the river, also shielded on both sides quite well by trees and heavy brush (about 6 miles into the forest)
a particularly thick section of forest, where the road is little more than two ruts between the trees (about 12 miles in)
a section of the road that winds through the bottom of a steep gorge, the sides of which reach almost 20' high at their peak (about 16 miles in)
the section immediately after the gorge, which goes through a tunnel that cuts through the hillside for a little over half a mile (about 17 miles in)
clearings where they might make camp for the night (roughly every 9-10 miles)

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/22/riverwoodmap.th.png (http://img638.imageshack.us/i/riverwoodmap.png/)

You haven't yet scouted this caravan, but you know that most wagons can make about 2 miles an hour over flat land with a decent road. Most of the high road through the Riverwood is relatively flat, the only exceptions being where it enters the gorge (a steep grade but only a few dozen yards long) and where it exits the gorge and enters the tunnel (a less steep grade but nearly a quarter mile long). There is roughly 30 miles of road through the forest.

The Northern Road, which Rollo suggested you use to get to the Whiterock caves, doesn't cross the High road proper, but there is a connecting road at their nearest points (about 13 miles in, right after the bad section of road). However, thanks to Tolin's detailed map, you now know that there is also an underground tunnel that leads to the valley below the Whiterock caves. The rub: It's an old Duergar trading route, and Alarond has never had particularly good relations with the Duergar. But the way would be quicker, shaving off maybe 8-12 hours of travel time (as opposed to taking the connecting road out of the forest to the Northern Road) depending on how quick you could get through.

Shyftir
2010-12-07, 12:44 PM
"What I suggest are a series of devices to slow the caravan, if we can force them to spend at least one night camping in the forest they will be vulnerable to a variety of attacks." Tolin glances up at the others seeing if there were any major objections. "I'm thinking, here, here and here." As he speaks, he points out the Ford, the Dense forest and the Gorge. "If we block the tunnel, and take the caravan there, we can double back to the main connecting road, far safer than the Grey-Ones* trade route."

*Duergar

Hank Pym
2010-12-07, 05:22 PM
"Hmm," Killian murmurs as he studies the map. "I agree. Best to avoid our gray cousins. As for the ambush location, any of the ones you point out might work. The advantage of letting them camp would of course be that most of them would be asleep; however, I would suggest that this is outweighed by the disadvantage that a few are much more likely to slip away during the fight, as they could go just about any direction in the forest and the thick groves would provide them with ample cover from both our eyes and arrows. Additionally, Orestes otherwise keen sight will be limited by the same.

"I'm sure we're of one mind that we should plan for complete success -- total domination. To this end, I think we should concentrate on limiting their escape routes.

"Our equipment is less effective than what we are used to, however, from what I know and have heard of you all, we'll not have much trouble overwhelming our opponents with a concerted effort. The trouble, I think, will be keeping them contained until they all either lay dead or have surrendered."

He scratches subconsciously at his beard, which is patchy where scars keep the hair from growing. He juts his barrel chest and takes a deep breath, his eyes keen on the map. "My first instinct is that we should ambush them at the gorge, where their escape routes are limited and we will have the advantage of being able to see any who run. Plus, it will be easier to stop their caravan in a place that is too narrow for them to turn around (or at least too narrow to turn quickly) -- that means we only need to block the direction they are heading, which would be less preparation. And, in my experience, the simplier the plan, the less that can go wrong.

"I agree that a downed tree might be the best way to go there, unless we find some other debris that we can use to block the gorge. Or perhaps Moradin himself may intervene on our behalf . . . " he trails off to eye the priest. "I've heard of priests of old convincing the Father himself to shape or soften stone and rock. Mayhaps if you pray hard enough we could get such intervention. Perhaps we could use such magic to cause their caravan to become stuck." He suddenly shivers and looks directly at Brother Dankil, eyes lowered in humility. "Pardon me, Brother, if I ask for fantasy. My experience with divine intervention is sorely limited.

"In any case, we could easily place archers (he glances at Tor and Orinn) atop the gorge, one near either end, and send in the rest of us. That would cut off their escape routes. I have a few other ideas, but I've dominated the conversation enough for now.

"All that said, everyone of us is capable, I'm sure, of leading Dwarves, but if you'll have me as captain, I'd be proud to serve."

MandibleBones
2010-12-08, 11:44 AM
"Oh, aye," Orinn says, agreeing to the archery plan amenably. "The gorge seems best from an archery perspective, and I'm all for that." He looks Killian up and down. "Sure, lad, I'll serve under your command." He smiles. "Just don't be forgetting: we're all dwarves, on our side and the other." His smile fades. "Some folk I've fought under have forgotten that."

AshesOfOld
2010-12-08, 03:24 PM
As good a plan as any, I reckon, Rogin agrees and stretches his neck with loud clicks. As long as we get going as soon as possible. There's only a day till the caravan supposedly reaches the forest, and a lot of work to be done before. And to that effect, Rogin's young brow, that has until now been as hard as a knot, loosens a tiny fraction as he faces Killian, I'll follow your word as well, captain.

Shyftir
2010-12-09, 01:44 AM
Aye, Kill here will do fine. Just so you know, you order something stupid I will let you know. The potential sting in Tolin's Words was mitigated by the smile on his face and the slap on the shoulder he gave the other dwarf.

Kantolin
2010-12-09, 11:00 AM
Brottor spent a bit of time looking at the map - upside down in particular, as he allowed the others to focus in front. He was impressed by the details, although as he expected, his lack of tactical knowledge made his responses less helpful. Summarily, he remained silent and simply watched and listened as others spoke (which was also why he was content to view it without being able to see it too clearly!)

As Killan spoke, he gave a half-smile - but waited to gather his thoughts before responding. In large part due to thinking about the Duergar - the joyless ones. Times like this made him wish he'd been one of the adventuring sort of clerics, so he'd have more knowledge about things like that. Hrm.

"Dwarves do endure on their own merits. As it is written, however, 'Yea, though I walk through thy canyons and chasms, thy eyes are upon me'. I can be counted on to aid with that. Captain." He added, as a touch of an afterthought.

Hank Pym
2010-12-09, 12:01 PM
In dwarven fashion, Killian frowns rather than smiles.

To Orinn, he says, "I concur. Our goal is not to destroy our brethren, but to change their leadership. For the most part our opponents will be dwarves doing their duty. However, we must also understand that by Moradin’s blessing we’ve each a free spirit, and allegiance is a good part a choice of the soul. To that end, we will take prisoners and accept all surrendering opponents. I suspect that many or our dwarves-in-arms will happily help put Durin back on the throne, once no axe looms over the heads of themselves and their families.”

To Rogin he says, “Speed is indeed important. Our party should make haste toward the gorge to make preparations. However, I have another job in mind for two of our party.”

Which leads to Tolin, to whom Killian says, “We’ll need you to make the most haste. Get up the road and scout out the caravan as best you can. Look for number of wagons and mounts, number of their forces, and any creatures or mechanisms they’ve enlisted to further guard them. Investigate as well as you can, but do not get caught. Once you have as much information as you can gather, meet us at the gorge.”

Back to Orinn, “And mayhaps best for you to send Orestes to keep watch over Tolin. If the scout runs into trouble, we will need to know. Orestes can also perhaps see a larger picture of the caravan. If you are willing to send him on such a mission.”

And to the priest, “I’m pleased to know that you approve of me as leader. I have a feeling that you’ll end up playing one of the largest roles by the time this is done.”

Finally, to everyone, he says, “Now, then, let us make haste. Once at the gorge we can decide on the details of the ambush. And, as I tell my Stormford dwarves, if you see something amiss in any plan I concoct or order I give, lest we are in the heat of battle, you have permission to question me. I do not expect any of you to follow blindly.”

Then, if there are no objections, Killian heads for the gorge.

Shyftir
2010-12-09, 12:20 PM
"I'm fine with scouting but we might want to get a night's sleep before beginning operations, Cap." Tolin grinned at the other dwarf. "Not much point in scouting them when they are still a full day's travel away."

Tolin went through his nightly process preparing for bed. A good rest was necessary before a strike.

Lazlow
2010-12-09, 02:37 PM
You all take turns with the watch and the night passes uneventfully. Dawn breaks...

Shyftir
2010-12-09, 05:53 PM
Having the last watch Tolin spends it preparing for the scouting trip and so as dawn brakes with a near audible snap in the silent woods. He wakes Killian and says, "Morning's come Cap. I'm heading out. Should be back to the gorge my mid-afternoon. I'm sure you can send the hawk after me, he's sure to catch up."

With that Tolin slips out of the camp and heads toward the entry to the forest looking for a good sighting spot.

Lazlow
2010-12-10, 12:12 PM
Tolin:

You easily make it to the edge of the forest in a little under an hour. A quick examination of the High road's entry area shows plenty of places where you can hide and observe quite easily (especially given your abilities), either behind rocks or trees, up in the thick branches (strange for a Dwarf, yes), in amongst the brush on the ground, or in gullies and depressions. In fact, you find a rather nice makeshift gully system that seems to follow the road for the first half-mile or so into the forest that, given the debris you find in it, was most likely made by bandits to watch for potential victims.

Some quick estimating tells you that you still have a few hours before the caravan arrives. Looking outside the forest proper, you see there is still plenty of tree and brush cover, albeit less dense; however, the further away from the road the better the cover becomes, especially north of the road where the foothills begin to rise, forming the base of the mountains.

As for other traffic on the road it's very light, you only notice a single band of pilgrims (most likely on their way to the temple in Ereston) and a merchant cart. This is to be expected, though, with the Blackhelms restricting travel.

MandibleBones
2010-12-11, 02:04 PM
As Tolin leaves, Orestes takes to the sky, following him from a high altitude. Orinn, meanwhile, takes care of the traditional beard-combing before kneeling to pray with the dawn.

OOC: I'll put together a spell list soonest.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-11, 03:06 PM
Rogin rises from his rest and starts warming up. Exercises his limbs, and practices a series of repetitive kicks and jabs in an increasing pace, from almost slow motion to a speedy blur, and finishes his morning routine by dripping a little water into the ground and dipping his forehead in the newly created mud.

Shyftir
2010-12-11, 05:02 PM
Tolin decides that sticking to the gully in the forest seems his best bet. He was capable of making good time in the open but a fleeing dwarf would be an obvious give-away that something was up.

Hank Pym
2010-12-13, 05:48 PM
Killian stretches out the next morning, while sipping a stiff mug of dwarven coffee (coffee with a shot of a liquor along the lines of moonshine).

On the way to their destination, he tells tall tales of ancient wars.

Shyftir
2010-12-13, 09:43 PM
Not content just to wait, Tolin decides to take the risk and move into the less sure cover of bushes and hedgerows that make up the area beyond the forest.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-14, 08:30 AM
While walking, and mostly out of boredom, Rogin engages in conversation with the priest.
Brottor, how do you feel about the religious side of our mission? Do you think the shining figure that people saw on the birthday of Alar is a sign from Moradin? That he is on our side?

Lazlow
2010-12-14, 12:21 PM
After a quick morning routine the remaining four make good time to the gorge, getting there right around mid-day. The journey is relatively uneventful, although you do catch glimpses of movement in amongst the trees. What sort of denizens of the wood they are, however, is unknown. Having risen so early you meet no one on the road, but near the gorge you do see what appear to be somewhat fresh horse droppings and tracks; apparently someone had made camp at or near the centermost clearing last night and has since left.

The gorge itself appears to be a dry riverbed, about thirty to forty feet wide at the opening, cutting steeply through the distinctive green-tinged granite that eventually forms the mountains to the north. Legend holds that centuries ago the river Aan flowed through here before being re-routed further south by ancient Elven magic, the result of a long-forgotten war; being Dwarves you all can't help but feel a bit insulted at the impertinence of this affront to nature. At the same time, you marvel at the smooth, graceful lines the mighty river once cut through the stone... Although, the proportions between north bank and south bank are a little off, and while that's an interesting outcropping near the first bend it's not completely aesthetically pleasing, a couple of stout journeymen with hammer and chisel could spruce that right up-- Ah, but there's a mission at hand, isn't there?

Walking the gorge, it's roughly a mile long before it begins to slope up and enter the tunnel, and about a quarter-mile into the tunnel, meets the underground Duergar road. Decades of wagon wheels, hooves, and foot traffic have packed the riverbed down in the center, but there is still plenty of sandy, shaley, loose rock on either side. There are plenty of places for the ambushing Dwarf to hide throughout: Behind boulders, in clefts and shallow caves, on top of outcroppings on either side of the gorge, behind trees that line the top of the gorge, or even amongst the scrubby bushes that have sprung up in the sandy soil. One spot in particular stands out, where the gorge narrows down to maybe fifteen feet across and forms a bit of a kink in the road, maybe a 30-35 degree turn. The sides are steep and about twenty feet high on the northern side, a yard or so shorter on the other. You all note that not only is this kink a great chokepoint, but you could surround the caravan (as best as five Dwarves can, anyway) from every direction - and not just from the top of the gorge, either, but down at road level as well, thanks to some boulders and clefts in the rock. You even have time to dig a strategically placed foxhole if you don't mind getting dirty.

Meanwhile, miles up the road, Tolin makes his way outside the forest...

You leave the forest a few dozen yards west of the road where you can take advantage of the slightly higher elevation and relatively thicker cover, which, for one of your skills, provides no impedance at all. Keeping an eye on the road as you go you see nothing yet, it's a very quiet morning - save for a single sound, the familiar cry of Orestes, Orinn's hawk. Looking skyward you give him a quick thumbs-up and it calls back in acknowledgement. It comforts you to know you have a friendly pair of eyes watching down from above.

You make your way to where the road starts to bend back east and slopes down toward Littleton. You take up a position amongst some thick bushes to wait and observe. Very soon you begin to see tell-tale signs of a large group approaching: A deer racing across the field, small flocks of birds startled willy-nilly into the air, and, shortly thereafter, dust from the road rising above the horizon. The caravan is coming.

A few minutes later it comes into view. Positioned head-on as you are you see two, then four horses pulling a large, fully-enclosed wagon, the heavy wood stoutly bound with iron bands, a sort of giant chest on wheels. It's being driven by two Blackhelms, with two more sitting on top armed with crossbows. You see others walking alongside the wagon as well.

As it comes to the bend in the road and starts to turn south toward the forest, the entire entourage comes into view: There are two of the heavy, chest-like wagons, and the first is actually pulling a smaller, two-wheeled cart in tandem, but while this smaller one is of similar build - fully enclosed, bound with iron bands - you notice at least one small window in the side, a cross-hatch of bars filling it. A holding cell? And is that... A hand, gripping the bar? You focus on it for a few moments but you're not quite sure... Snapping out of your reverie you note that now might be the best time you can quickly make your way back to the forest: While the caravan is heading south you can head west towards the forest (following a beeline to the gorge, even) and they'll have their backs to you.

Before you leave, your training dictates a quick mental inventory of your opposition: Two wagons with two drivers and two guards each, alongside and behind you count a total of five on foot, making a total of thirteen soldiers. Four of the thirteen are 'mounted' on the wagons proper and armed with crossbows; the walkers are armed with either a polearm, or an axe or hammer and shield. You also note two Blackhelms with the tell-tale helmet crests of sergeants, one on the first wagon and another walking alongside. The drivers are no doubt armed as well, but obviously their main concern in the event of an ambush would be to get the wagons up to some sort of escape speed... And pondering this for a moment it hits you: While the wagons look awfully heavy for being so solidly built, they seem to move along a lot easier than you would think. Curious. Also curious, the unknown purpose and possible inhabitant of that smaller cell-like wagon.

Your combat training demands tangible numbers and solid, verifiable intelligence... But at the same time your experience tells you that this rarely, if ever, happens. Whatever the variables, this isn't going to be an easy mission.

You wait until the last Blackhelm turns his back to you and begin making your way back to the forest, Orestes leading the way high above you.

MandibleBones
2010-12-14, 03:04 PM
Biting back the urge to whistle cheerfully, Orinn sets up shop at the top of the gorge, finding a spot that gives him good cover while still allowing him to cover any incoming caravans. He carefully lays out a decent amount of Arrows in front of him, hoping he won't need to use them. Bloodshed, as usual, disgusts him.

Shyftir
2010-12-15, 04:35 PM
Tolin makes his way back to the others at speed. Thinking they'll need the time to make a final plan. Sergeants have to go down first no question... Drivers and crossbowmen are high priority... Curious they seem to have a captive. Thoughts flit through his head as he runs back.

AshesOfOld
2010-12-15, 05:21 PM
So how do you wanna do this, Captain? Rogin chews on some dried meat while looking around. I guess we can use all this debris to block the road, though it will be hard work. Not that I mind. He kicks a little dust up from the ground with his worn shoe. I'm concerned about one thing though. And that's killing good dwarves. Any blackhelms'll probably not be so keen on surrendering, but regular soldiers should be given the fair chance before we start chopping them to bits.

Hank Pym
2010-12-15, 06:03 PM
Killian looks at the chokepoint with his keen eyes. Running through several scenarios.

He inspects around some boulders and ties a knotted rope to a thick tree for the team to use to go up and down the side of the gorge.

Finally he says, "No reason to snub a thumb at Moradin. He's given us a perfect spot for an ambush; it would be foolish overthinking to pass it up and try an ambush elsewhere."

He nods at Rogin. "Let's get to work blocking the road, first off." He lets his eyes wander over several of the trees, looking for a few with bushy tops and thinner trunks. He estimates their height and their distance from the gorge then points out two, one on each side. "We'll take those down so that their branches land in the gorge just past the bend, out of view as they approach. We can chop them a ways up their trunks after they've fallen so that their heads lean into the gorge. That should save us some work piling up little rocks and bits of forest."

"As for the good dwarves among them, we'll make sure they have a chance to join us or lay down arms before the bloodshed. I'll step up to them before we attack and announce my intention. The rest of you should stay hidden and attack only when you've got obvious targets -- you'll be able to tell which are foes and which aren't, I believe. Especially from above."

"Orin Orinnson and Tolin, assuming he returns, will be responsible for taking out any runners. In addition, I want as much cover fire as you can provide, but your primary focus should be on preventing anyone from escaping. Rollo down-played the importance of keeping this strike a secret, but I consider it one of our primary concerns. Taking the cargo is of course more important, but any supplies will be worth ten times if our enemy has no idea we have them."

Hank Pym
2010-12-16, 05:42 PM
As they work on chopping at the tree trunks, Killian suddenly stops and looks into the forest, back up the road. "Inspiration, lads!"

He charges through the forest and finds two more trees of about the same dimensions. "We could cut these near the base about two-thirds through, leaving them thick enough that a stiff wind won't knock them down (or the shoving of a dwarf), and tie sturdy ropes to them long enough to reach the gorge. Then . . ." he trails off and turns his attention to Brotter.

"Good priest, can you commune with the living stone of the gorge?" He runs like an excited child down to where the layers of stone are visible. "Here, where the earth displays it's bounty. Can you speak to the spirits of this stone? Ask them to rise up and aid us in the coming battle? Call forth an elemental from them when the time is right? Such a being of stone would be strong enough to pull the ropes and bring down the trees behind the caravan, completely boxing them in. And, of course, causing much fear and mayhem among their ranks."

He grins a gap-toothed grin at the thought. "If that doesn't cause our brothers to surrender or turn to our side, then I know not what will. What say you all? Is such a thing possible?"

Shyftir
2010-12-16, 05:55 PM
"Aye, sounds like a great plan, if we cannae get the elemental we can use a winch or some such to do the same thing." Tolin's voice is heard from above, as he returns. "Ye might also wannae hear what I've seen."

Hank Pym
2010-12-17, 02:35 PM
Upon hearing Tolin's report, Killian's expression goes blank. He blinks a couple of times and looks at the ground. Is that . . . disappointment he's feeling?

He grunts. "I see. I expected more opponents. Well, I suppose if this is what is set before us, then this is what is set before us. We should still box them in -- either through magic or machine. With only 13 dwarves our chance of getting any of them to surrender goes down, but we should maintain our course and offer them the chance before the actual ambush. Admittedly, there will probably be more inside the wagons . . . if magic is involved, there could be many more." This possibility seems to cheer him a little.

"Let us continue our work felling the trees. When Brotter awakens from his meditation we will get his opinion. As we work, though, think my brothers on how to get the wagons open. If the small wagon is a prisoner it might be best to loose him," he rolls his eyes remembering his recent Correctness training, "OR HER, in the midst of the fight if a warrior is contained therein, but if it be a diplomat or political prisoner, then best to keep the bugger safe in its box as protection from misfired arrows. Opinions on this?"

Shyftir
2010-12-17, 07:32 PM
"Don't get me wrong Cap'n. I'm all for saving dwarven lives. But I say me and Orinn take the Blackhelms down with well placed shots then we offer the others the opportunity to surrender." Tolin paused then finished. "Of course if that's not how the rest o' ye feel I understand."

The commando dwarf bowed his head slightly, making it clear he wasn't trying to usurp Killian's position as leader. Then said in a quieter voice. "One way or t'other we should establish a kill order in case things go badly."

AshesOfOld
2010-12-18, 10:32 AM
Well, I agree that the blackhelms should be the first to go. If any magic-wielders appear I'll be quick to strike them. But whether we should kill the leaders first, I'll leave up to the people with pointy things. I do however think that should we strike them first and not kill them right away, we lose any chance of a quick surrender. Rogin chews on this himself for a bit and then continues We could try to hurt them and not kill them. I practice a non-lethal art of fist-fight as well, and you could try knocking with the flat sides. If the arrows focus on the blackhelms, we'll be alright.

MandibleBones
2010-12-19, 01:30 PM
"Absolutely," Orinn rumbles, rejoining the group just in time to hear Rogin and Tolin's reports. "I'll bend my arrows toward the Blackhats, and no mistake, and I can hold draw while you offer the rest a chance to surrender." He grins. "One chance, of course. I've no desire to be sticking civvies with my pins, but once they refuse surrender, they're not civvies anymore, are they? Best remind them of that," he adds, the grin fading into contemplation. "Other than that, lads, I'm ready when you are. Shoot the Blackhats, let the others surrender, loose arrows at the magic users if they don't. Have I got it all right?" Orestes lands on his shoulder, and he absentmindedly feeds the bird a bit of meat.

Lazlow
2010-12-22, 01:38 PM
Brottor
"I have heard of priests more... Adventurous than I doing just what you've said - conjuring forth living beings of stone. It will be taxing upon the powers Moradin has granted me, but I believe it can be done. I must prepare myself, though. How much time until the caravan arrives, Captain Tolin?"

Hank Pym
2010-12-23, 10:49 AM
Killian replies, "There is no way of telling which of those dwarves, Blackhelmed or not, are loyal to Gudrik and which are working for him under coercion. I'd rather err on the side of saving dwarves lives. I'd prefer to step out and give them the free shot at me if they can take it, or give them the moment to prepare, and chance some surrenders, than target all the blackhelms without warning. Between an elemental and our archers in the trees, I think they will be plenty surprised enough as is."

"As for shooting to wound and using blunts of blades . . . that's a tougher call. I suppose that if a dwarf seems to be hesitant to fight us, perhaps he is worth the extra effort, but any dwarves that lust to kill us will surely succeed if we do not give our full effort to defeating them. That is nearly an impossible distinction to make during battle, but if any of you feel you've made it during the fight, feel free to take captives."

Killian grins wide at Orinn and says, "Oh, yes, dear brother. If a magician pokes his head from any of the armored boxes, see that an arrow greets him before his wizardry greets us."

"Very good, Brotter. Meditate and prepare yourself. The rest of us should get back to work on preparing the trees. They arrive tomorrow, yes?" he looks at Tolin for confirmation.

Shyftir
2010-12-23, 01:32 PM
"Unless they push through the night. I 'spect we'll see 'em about mid-morning, tammorow." Tolin pauses. "Ya know, cap'n, I could probably get in pretty close to their camp ta night. Cause a bit o' havoc. Learn a few things?"

[OOC]
I'm on Christmas vacation and not at home, so my posting will be pretty spotty for a few days.

AshesOfOld
2011-01-02, 07:07 PM
Rogin starts working, felling trees and dragging huge logs and rocks into the road. Like with any of his usual rutines, he soon begins enjoying himself, and starts whistling tunelessly, looking forward to the fight ahead, now the rules have been set.

Hank Pym
2011-01-14, 10:45 AM
Killian gives Tolin leave to spy on the Blackhelm's encampment that night, but warns him to get on the road before sunrise so that he can beat them back here at least a few hours before they arrive. He'll need to get rest in that time to make sure he's not too exhausted in the upcoming conflict.

He then goes about the preparations with the others. Rogin's good attitude affecting his own and lifting it. By dinner he is telling jokes about the backside of a gnomish barwench he knows in the Stormford.

That night, he sets a rotating watch of at least two dwarves at all times.

Shyftir
2011-01-15, 08:42 PM
"Right Cap. I'll get back in plenty of time."

Tolin sets off to cause some minor disruption to slow down and possibly frighten the dwarves guarding the caravan.

MandibleBones
2011-01-16, 03:28 PM
Orinn volunteers first watch, wanting to be close to his arrows at the ambush site. He is also up first thing in the morning to pray, the gray dawn reminding him that the gods regret the necessity of dwarf-on-dwarf combat.

As soon as the ambush party draws into sight, he focuses on his holy symbol and wills a circle of protection into being around his area. The servants of the tyrant - and other evil creatures - will have trouble entering, he thinks.

Magic Circle Against Evil and Magic Circle Against Law, CL15, centered on his arrow emplacement, for the next 150 minutes. Orinn will also cast Owl's Wisdom as soon as the boss raises the "Get Ready" sign, but since that will only last 15 minutes, he's a little more careful with it.