PDA

View Full Version : The Gunslinger (A firearms based PrC)

Feliks878
2010-12-01, 06:13 PM
Author's Note: This is my first PrC up here, I really hope I didn't do anything wrong. If I've made any mistakes or committed any faux pas, please let me know.

Gunslinger

In a world with magical spells and terrible creatures, gunpowder doesn't seem to have much of a place. A new invention, most firearms are measly and weak, and don't hold onto magical powers well. Most forgo them in favor of magical swords and axes, or mystical spells drawn from the fabric of reality. There are some, however, who have begun to train with these weapons, interested in showing the world just how potent they can be.

A member of almost any class can become a Gunslinger, though classes with full or at least medium base attack bonus progression are more common. Spellcasters make poor Gunslingers because it does not increase their spellcasting in any way. Swashbucklers, Fighters, Rogues, and Bards (who aren't focused on spellcasting) often make good Gunslingers. Rangers make excellent Gunslingers with their high attack bonus and bonus ranged feats (though Manyshot would not work with a firearm, rapid shot will.) Scouts, like Rogues and Bards can get into Gunslinger but take longer to do so then a full attack bonus class.

Dexterity is the Gunslinger's main attribute because it determines how well she hits and eventually how much damage she deals, as well as adding to their Armor Class as most Gunslingers wear light armor. Charisma is also important as some class features rely on making Perform(Weapon Drill) checks and gain benefits from a high charisma.

Requirements:
To qualify to become an Gunslinger, a character must fulfill the following criteria.
Base Attack Bonus: +5.
Skills: Perform(Weapon Drill) 4 ranks.
Feats: Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Pistol or Musket), Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot.

Class Skills:
The Gunslinger's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock(Dex), Perform(Weapon Drill) (Cha), Profession (Wis), Spot (Wis), Tumble(Dex), and Use Magic Device(Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Gunslinger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0|Combat Style, Let 'em Come Close

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Deadeye Shot 1/day, Weapon Specialization

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Imposing Performance

4th|
+4|
+1|
+3|
+1|Shot in the Dark

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Deadeye Shot 2/day

6th|
+6|
+2|
+5|
+2|Improved Combat Style

7th|
+7|
+2|
+5|
+2|Armor Ain't Much, Weapon Specialization

8th|
+8|
+2|
+6|
+2|Deadeye Shot 3/day

9th|
+9|
+3|
+6|
+3|Final Combat Style

10th|
+10|
+3|
+7|
+3|Deadeye Shot 4/day, Powder Packer[/table]

Class Features:
All of the following are class features of the Gunslinger prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Gunslingers gain no armor or weapon proficiency.

Combat Style(Ex): At first level a Gunslinger chooses what type of firearms they wish to specialize in – either pistols or muskets. To choose one of these the Gunslinger must have Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Weapon Focus in the appropriate firearm. Once this decision is made, it affects all future combat style choices for the Gunslinger.

At 1st level, Gunslingers which choose Pistols may reload the pistols as a free action which does not require a free hand. Additionally, they gain the Two-Weapon Fighting feat, allowing them to dual-wield the pistols as light weapons for both ranged and melee attacks. For example, a level 5 Fighter/Level 1 Gunslinger could dual wield two pistols and make two attacks with each, using both base attack bonuses with a -2 penalty for each shot. This allows the Gunslinger to use Rapid Shot with the pistols as well, should he or she choose to do so.

At 6th level the penalties for dual-wielding the pistols for ranged attacks is eliminated entirely. The penalty remains in play for making melee attacks with the pistols.

At 9th level the critical threat range for the pistols increases to 19-20. This stacks with the keen weapon enhancement or the Improved Critical feat (though those effects do not stack with each other.)

A 1st level Gunslinger who chooses Muskets may reload the musket as a free action, allowing them to make iterative attacks with the weapon. Additionally, the wielder of a Musket may add half their dexterity modifier to the damage they deal with the weapon. This allows the Gunslinger to use Rapid Shot with the musket, should he or she choose to do so.

At 6th level, they may add their entire Dexterity modifier to the damage dealt.

At 9th level, the critical threat range for the musket increases to 19-20. This stacks with the keen weapon enhancement or the Improved Critical feat (though those effects do not stack with each other.)

A Gunslinger loses any benefits of their Combat Style while wearing medium or heavy armor, or while carrying more then a light load.

Let 'em Come Close(Ex): In addition to their skills with firing their weapons, Gunslingers know how to defend themselves with their precious firearms. A gunslinger using a pistol may use it as a light melee weapon with which they are proficient rather then an improvised weapon, dealing 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage with a critical threat range of 20 (x2). As noted under Combat Style, they may dual-wield two pistols in this manner, even without the feat Two-Weapon Fighting.
A gunslinger who has chosen the Musket combat style knows how to affix a bayonet to the end of their musket. Doing so does not impede the musket in anyway, and allows it to be used as a light piercing melee weapon which deals 1d6 points of damage with a critical threat range of 19-20(x2). The bayonet can also be readied against a charge, the way a spear can.
These benefits in no way help protect a Gunslinger who attempts to fire a firearm while threatened – that action still provokes attacks of opportunity.

Weapon Specialization: At 2nd level a Gunslinger gains Weapon Specialization with whatever type of firearm they selected for their combat style. They need not have the prerequisites for this feat. At 7th level they gain Greater Weapon Specialization for the same weapon, again not needing to have prerequisites. This bonus damage only applies to ranged attacks.

Deadeye Shot(Su): Gunslingers are no strangers to drama, and they know that sometimes you really need to land that one shot. Starting at 2nd level, once per day a gunslinger my substitute a Perform(Weapon Drill) check for a ranged attack roll with a pistol or musket. This roll is made with only the skill modifier – the character's dexterity and base attack bonus do not apply, but weapon enhancements do. Using this is part of an attack and does not take any additional actions. The Gunslinger can use this ability twice per day at 5th level, three times per day at 8th, and four times per day at 10th. A Gunslinger wearing medium or heavy armor, or carrying more then a light load may not use Deadeye Shot.

Imposing Performance(Ex): A gunslinger may make a Perform(Weapon Drill) check in place of an intimidate check.

Shot in the Dark(Ex): Gunslinger's are renowned for their uncanny faith in their weapons ability to strike an opponent, regardless of circumstances. A Gunslinger gains the Blind-Fight feat, except he or she may also re-roll missed ranged attack rolls against enemies with concealment.

Armor Ain't Much(Su): With wicked precision, a Gunslinger may sometimes land shots which slip right through the cracks of an enemy's armor and shield. As a standard action a Gunslinger may study an opponent. If they choose to do so, all ranged attacks in the subsequent round will be touch attacks. A Gunslinger who chooses to do this may not make any attacks on the turn they are studying, nor may they take attacks of opportunity against enemies.

Powder Packer(Ex): At 10th level a Gunslinger has become so skilled at loading their firearms they know just how much powder they can put in in order to have an extra punch of damage without risking their weapon's health. A Gunslinger may increase the damage of their weapon as if they were one size category larger. For example, a 10th level Gunslinger using a Medium Sized musket would deal 3d6 damage rather then 1d12.

---

Some thoughts: One of the first things that is important to mention is that Perform (Weapon Drill) is a skill from Complete Warrior. It's an interesting skill because you get to add half your BAB as a bonus, as well as gaining some +2 bonuses from certain martial feats like Weapon Focus and Two-Weapon Fighting.

I wanted this class to have a sort of Wild-West Gunslinger flavor to it, without relying on precision damage to do so. I know that firearms scale poorly, so I decided to give the user Weapon Spec and Greater Weapon Spec to help make up the difference, as well as the Powder Packer ability at high level. Deadeye shot is made to be used with iterative attacks, because unless you pump it really high your Perform(WD) won't be that much higher then your normal attack bonus, as it usually won't be a class skill until you enter Gunslinger.

The idea behind Imposing Performance is a gunslinger who scares an opponent by twirling her pistols or their musket.

Please let me know what you think.

TechnoScrabble
2010-12-01, 06:31 PM
I like it, though it will unavoidably cause a guns vs. katanas argument in the end.
The thing about guns over bows in that time period, when guns were slower than bows and less accurate, was that they were loud, scary, easier to use, and could very easily go through the plate and steel lamellar that so pained archers.

dsmiles
2010-12-01, 06:35 PM
Looks good, but I have one thought. On "Let 'em Come Close," I think the damages should be the next die up (d6/d8). I'm military, and our rifles weigh about 8 pounds, they hit pretty hard. Earlier rifles were even heavier, and, I imagine, hit even harder. Early pistols probably weighed almost as much as current rifles. Just a thought, mind you, and a nitpicky one at best.

EDIT: Also, I love firearms in DnD. I'm a huge fan of Iron Kingdoms, and it's steampunkiness. This gunslinger has that bit of flair that distinguishes it from a lot of the other homebrew out there.

Temotei
2010-12-01, 06:35 PM
I never understood why guns required Exotic Weapon Proficiency. You pull a trigger and maybe move some things. For many guns, Martial Weapon Proficiency, or even Simple Weapon Proficiency, would cover it.

That said, I see no statistics for the guns you're using, so it's slightly difficult to critique this class.

Zain
2010-12-01, 06:49 PM
I think he's using the rules found in the DMG, page 145, In the table 5-4, Renaissance weapons, as that's in only rules for A pistol and musket I can find off hand

Feliks878
2010-12-01, 07:34 PM
I think he's using the rules found in the DMG, page 145, In the table 5-4, Renaissance weapons, as that's in only rules for A pistol and musket I can find off hand

That's correct. I apologize for not specifying.

In regards to the increased damage die for melee attacks, I initially had them at the levels that you indicate, but worried that it would be too powerful. I'll try play-testing it with both, as it shouldn't make too much of a difference.

I also have a sample character I can post if anyone is interested in seeing it. It's hardly optimized, but I did it as a play-testing exercise.

dsmiles
2010-12-01, 07:42 PM
Those damages are no better than a club (d6/x2) or a heavy mace (d8/x2), so I seriously doubt that they would be overpowered (since neither of those is an optimal choice for a fighter or ranger, which I'm assuming this PrC is geared towards).

Feliks878
2010-12-01, 07:46 PM
The more I look at it the more I think you're right. It'll still be way better to try and get out of melee and fire your weapons, but I don't see any reason a bit more melee damage would be a problem.

Reading over it, I realize how unrealistic it seems to be able to reload the pistols that fast, but I guess I'm more interested in the crunch then the fluff for that.

Edit: Here's the sample encounter I cooked up, done in the style of the newer prestige classes.

Sample Encounter
PCs may find a Gunslinger as both an opponent or an ally. This class runs the gambit of alignment and personalities, though many tend to be boisterous and occasionally even flamboyant. As an enemy a Gunslinger would revel in duels and one-on-one combat with a PC, especially one they choose to be their rival. As an ally a Gunslinger could be a lone adventurer who needs to enlist the aid of the PCs in overcoming a challenge they cannot face alone – though they may not phrase it that way themselves. In some larger cities, groups of Gunslingers practice together and teach the interested the art of the
firearm, though sometimes for a price.

EL 13: The PCs find an advertisement for a lone adventurer seeking aid in plumbing an ancient tomb for lost treasures and artifacts. When they go to find the person who posted it, they meet Alice Fogg, a Gunslinger who entered the tomb only to flee when confronted with overwhelming odds. She returned to town, convinced that the undead which now inhabit the tomb are lead by a powerful Mummy Lord. She offers to join forces with the players, with each person earning an equal share of the loot within.

Alice Fogg - CR 13
Female Human Swashbuckler 5/Gunslinger 8
CG Medium Humanoid(Human)
Init +6;Senses Listen +0,Spot +0
Languages Common, Dwarven, Elven
----------------------------------------------------------------
AC 25,touch 18, flat-footed 19
(+5 Armor, +6 Dex, +2 Natural, +2 Deflection) +1 Dodge vs 1
Target (Except when Flat-Footed)
hp 92 (13 HD)
Fort 10, Ref 16, Will 6
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Melee 1 Pistol: +2 Pistol +21/+16/+11 (1d4+4) or 2
Pistols +2 Pistol +19/+14/+9 (1d4+4) and +2 Pistol
+19/+14/+9 (1d8+4)
Ranged 1 Pistol: +2 Pistol +21/+16/+11 (1d4+4) or 2
Pistols +2 Pistol +21/+16/+11 (1d8+8) and +2 Pistol
+21/+16/+11 (1d8+8)
Base Attack +13; Grapple +13
Atk Options Deadeye Shot 3/day
Special Actions Imposing Performance, Insightful Strike
Combat Gear Potion of Cure Moderate Wounds, Potion of
Haste
Abilities Str 10, Dex 23, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 14
SQ Combat Styles, Shot in the Dark, Let 'em Come Close
Feats Exotic Weapon Proficiency(Pistol), Point Blank Shot,
Precise Shot, Weapon Focus(Pistol), Rapid Shot, Quick Draw,
Weapon Finesse(B), Blind-Fight(B), Weapon Specialization(B),
Greater Weapon Specialization(B), Two-Weapon Fighting(B)
Skills Bluff +18, Climb+16, Craft(Firearms)+18, Escape Artist +22,
Perform(Weapon Drill)+26, Tumble+22
Possessions Two +2 Pistols, Ammo Pouch with 100 mundane
shots, 10 Cold Iron Shots, 10 Adamantine Shots, 10 Silver
Shots, Gloves of Dexterity +4, Cloak of Resistance +2, Amulet
of Natural Armor +2, +1 Mithril Chain Shirt, Ring of Deflection +2
Hook: “Is that a bow? How...old fashioned.”

dsmiles
2010-12-01, 08:25 PM
Reading over it, I realize how unrealistic it seems to be able to reload the pistols that fast, but I guess I'm more interested in the crunch then the fluff for that.

In reality (I have seen this), a skilled rifleman (Revolutionary War era rifle) can get off two to three shots a minute. A free action is a little fast, yeah, but everyone else has to remember that this is a fantasy gunslinger with lightning quick fingers. I like a free action for the pistol, but would probably go move action on the rifle, if you're looking for a little more realism.

EDIT:With my Iron Kingdoms character, the best I got was a move action reload time with pistols at level 8.

Feliks878
2010-12-01, 08:30 PM
In reality (I have seen this), a skilled rifleman (Revolutionary War era rifle) can get off two to three shots a minute. A free action is a little fast, yeah, but everyone else has to remember that this is a fantasy gunslinger with lightning quick fingers. I like a free action for the pistol, but would probably go move action on the rifle, if you're looking for a little more realism.

EDIT:With my Iron Kingdoms character, the best I got was a move action reload time with pistols at level 8.

Hmm. I am already worried about the musket being a bit weaker then the pistols when I did the math, so I don't think I'm gonna hammer it with the move action. We might just have to say A Wizard Did It or that there's some amazing speed-loading mechanism. I also added a sample character - not optimized at all, but a fun play, I think - to a previous post if anyone is interested.