PDA

View Full Version : My pet (3.5)

Balor01
2010-12-02, 04:03 PM
All those disliking CR-silly monsters ignore this thread.

All those who really like wizards at the top of D&D food chain, ignore this thread.

All those frustrated/infuriated(from any reason) by this monster may kindly (please?)NOT post in this thread.

All those who wish to improve/constructively comment the pet, post your remarks.

:smalltongue:

Hound of Mersshaulk
Size/Type: Diminutive Construct (Swarm)
Hit Dice: 50d8+500 (725 hp)
Initiative: +16
Speed: 20 ft., climb 20 ft., fly 220 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 60 (+2 size, +16 Dex, +2 natural, +30 deflection), touch 48, flat-footed 44
Base Attack/Grapple: +37/—
Attack: Swarm (5d6) and Disintegrate (ex)
Full Attack: Swarm (5d6) and Disintegrate (ex)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Blinding, distraction (DC 45)
Special Qualities: Acid Cloud, Darkvision, Low light vision, Blindsense, Antimagic Spores, Immunity to Magic and Psionics, Plane-Blessed, Energy Warper, Word of Command, fast healing 725, swarm traits, construct traits, swarm traits
Saves:
Fort +60
this save is CON based and includes a +60 racial bonus
Ref +94
this save is DEX based and includes a +60 racial bonus
Will +60
this save is WIS based and includes a +60 racial bonus
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 42, Con —, Int —, Wis 2, Cha 2
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary, cloud (2–4 swarms), or plague (5–8 swarms)
Challenge Rating: Pretty high
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: None
Level Adjustment: —
COMBAT

Antimagic Spores (Ex)
Any being or item within a 200-foot spread from cente of Hound of Mersshaulk automatically falls under effect as if being submitted to Antimagic field except its LoE limits. The spread is an invisible barrier that is impervious to most magical effects, including spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities. Likewise, it prevents the functioning of any magic items or spells within its confines, except for the swarms’s own supernatural abilities. This effect is otherwise as an antimagic field cast by a 51st-level caster.

Acid Cloud (Ex)
Hound of Mersshaulk exudes a constant vapor that radiates outward in every direction for 300 feet. This vapor deals 20d6 points of acid damage each round to anyone caught in the cloud and provides total concealment to Hound of Mersshaulk and thus can not be penetrated even by true seeing. Hound of Mersshaulk is immune to this effect.

Blinding (Ex)Any living creature that begins its turn with a ruin swarm in its space must make a fortitude save (DC 51) or be blinded for one round. The save DC is Dexterity-based.

Blindsense (Ex): The ruin swarm notices and locates creatures within 600 ft. Opponents still have 100% concealment against the swarm (but swarm attacks ignore concealment).

Distraction (Ex): Any living creature vulnerable to the swarm’s damage that begins its turn with a swarm in its square is nauseated for 1 round; a DC 35 fortitude save negates the effect. Even with a successful save, spellcasting or concentrating on spells within the area of a swarm requires a Concentration check (DC 20 + spell level). Using skills requiring patience and concentration requires a Concentration check (DC 20). The save DC is Constitution-based.

Disintegrate (Ex) Hound of Mersshaulk has at will, as swift action disintegrate ability, as the spell (caster level 51th). (DC 67)

Immunity to Magic and Psionics(Ex)
Hound of Mersshaulk is immune to any spell or spell-like ability that allows spell resistance. Hound of Mersshaulk is immune to any Psi or Psi-like ability that allows Psi resistance.

Energy Warper (Ex): Whenever Hound of Mersshaulk is subject to any energy-type damage, he heals the amount of damage which would be caused by this attack. Amount of damage healed can never exceed Hound of Mersshaulks' initial full hp.

Plane-Blessed (Ex): Hound of Mersshaulk never fails a save when shifting from one plane to another.

Psionic teleport (Ex) Hound of Mersshaulk has at will, as swift action Psionic teleport ability, as the spell (caster level 51th). (DC ?)

Trace teleport, (Ex) Hound of Mersshaulk has at will, as swift action Trace teleport ability, as the spell (caster level 51th). (DC ?)

Word of Command, (Ex) Whenever Hound of Mersshaulk is ordered to hunt down and kill certain creature, Hound of Mersshaulk automaticly knows creature's location. This effect persists untill Hound of Mersshaulk performs given task. Only lizard-type cleric of lizard-related diety may bestow this task upon Hound of Mersshaulk. Task must contribute to greater glory and/or protection of reptilian creatures, worshiping a lizard-related diety.

Construct traits: No Constitution score. Low-light vision. Darkvision out to 60 feet. Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects). Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, death effects, and necromancy effects. Cannot heal damage on their own, but often can be repaired by exposing them to a certain kind of effect (see the creature’s description for details) or through the use of the Craft Construct feat. A construct with the fast healing special quality still benefits from that quality. Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, fatigue, exhaustion, or energy drain. Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects, or is harmless). Not at risk of death from massive damage. Immediately destroyed when reduced to 0 hit points or less. Since it was never alive, a construct cannot be raised or resurrected. Because its body is a mass of unliving matter, a construct is hard to destroy. It gains bonus hit points based on size, as shown on the table. Proficient with its natural weapons only, unless generally humanoid in form, in which case proficient with any weapon mentioned in its entry. Proficient with no armor. Constructs do not eat, sleep, or breathe.

Swarm Traits: A swarm has no clear front or back and no discernable anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or flanking. A swarm made up of Tiny creatures takes half damage from slashing and piercing weapons.
Reducing a swarm to 0 hit points or fewer causes the swarm to break up, though damage taken until that point does not degrade its ability to attack or resist attack. Swarms are never staggered or reduced to a dying state by damage. Also, they cannot be tripped, grappled, or bull rushed, and they cannot grapple another.
A swarm is immune to any spell or effect that targets a specific number of creatures (including single-target spells such as disintegrate), with the exception of mind-affecting effects if the swarm has an intelligence score and a hive mind. A swarm takes a –10 penalty on saving throws against spells or effects that affect an area, such as many evocation spells or grenadelike weapons. If the area effect attack does not allow a saving throw, the swarm takes double damage instead.
A swarm rendered unconscious by means of nonlethal damage becomes disorganized and dispersed, and does not re-form until its hit points exceed its nonlethal damage.

Lore-wise this is the ultimate creation of fallen lizard kingdoms which exceeded "modern magic" by far. This is suppose to be sort of an Inevitable of those times.

spongey
2010-12-02, 05:26 PM
It has no death ray. Give it a death ray.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-02, 05:44 PM
I request the use of bold on the titles: all of them...

Energy Warper doesn't tell which energy types it's related to or how to assign this.

It has an unreasonable amount of personality for a mindless creature: i know the reason is for saves, but it'd be more understadable [or at least less silly behind the screen] if it had significantly lower scores and racial bonuses slapped on where necessary.

Distraction's DC is only 35 [10 + 1/2 HD (25) + con (0)]

spongey
2010-12-02, 05:54 PM
How does trace teleport work btw? I might be able to take it out with a mid level wiz and a hired high level cleric. With some preparation that is..

Balor01
2010-12-03, 07:28 AM
Wee, constructive comments :smallbiggrin:

@spongey
Why? Anything that ends its turn in a Antimagic spread is also slowly disintegrated by classical 5d6/turn.

@Mulletmanalive
Bold titles: Check
How would you make an energy type description?
How would one convert ability bonuses into racial bonuses? I totally agree this thing is way too wise and too charismatic for a swarm of buzzing drones.

Distraction's DC is only 35 [10 + 1/2 HD (25) + con (0)]

That was actually taken from epic monsters. Will fix.

@spongey
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/traceTeleport.htm
As for taking it down with mentioned classes, please elaborate. I am genuinely intrigued.

Tnx for all the input :smallbiggrin: People mostly rage at such homebrew :smallannoyed:

Lix Lorn
2010-12-03, 10:47 AM
'This effect is otherwise as an antimagic field cast by a 51th-level caster.'
51st.[/grammarnazi]

Other than that, can't really help. NO idea how to balance creatures.

spongey
2010-12-03, 11:23 AM
step1: make an adamantium hollow cube deep underground
step2: wizard flies to 300feet from the genocyde swarm
step3: wizard gets attention of swarm and teleports into said cube
step4: upon arival wizard turns on item of permanent antimagic field
step5: swarm comes in and shreds wizard to bits
step6: cleric casts true resurrection on wizzie
step7: poor wittew monstew is now trapped in an adamantium cage for all etrnitylol :smallbiggrin: sorry, better luck with next monster :smallbiggrin:

Oh, and if the wiz is an initiate of mystra he could take IRON HEARTH SURGE!!! through martial study to escape the death cube. And instead of using a cube he could trap the swarm in a big glass orb! Best aquarium EVER!!! :smallbiggrin: The swarm has no meaningfull attack and no str whatsoever, so it could never break free. And even if it can teleport in its own AMF it most certainly cannot teleport in another AMF!

Glimbur
2010-12-03, 11:40 AM
Why is it called Hound of Mersshaulk if it's a swarm of really small constructs? That name suggests to me a dog-like creature. Consider instead Doom of Mersshaulk, Plague of Mersshaulk, Legacy of Mersshaulk, or Monster of Mersshaulk.

Why does it have both Fast Healing and Regeneration which cannot be bypassed?

The AMF, regeneration, and other effects mean that the best way to deal with this is an Epic AoE Disintegrate-type Save or Die which doesn't allow SR... a much smarter plan is an Epic Gate which pulls them to Carceri or somewhere else no-one will mind an epic swarm tearing up everything.

Gorgondantess
2010-12-03, 11:50 AM
Creatures need a constitution score to have regeneration.
Also, orbs go through antimagic fields- you could just fling a few metamagic'd orbs of force at this sucker and it's down.
That, or get your ubercharger barbarian with his greathammer to charge & annihilate it in one round. Even with the silly +500 hp, 750 hp with the CR this thing would have is something to sneeze at. Still, a couple of these would be a decent challenge for a decently optimized 15th level party... even if they don't have much killing power. 5d6 damage is an average of 17.5 per round. That's... really, really lame. It would take a few rounds to take down the party wizard, let alone the fighter that's hacking them to pieces. At least enough time to let them think of something.

spongey
2010-12-04, 07:52 AM
what about having a few golems stomp on it fo eternity? It would take a few of them, but it's pre epic. and golems work just fine in an amf.

FishAreWet
2010-12-04, 02:01 PM
Is it a Vermin or Construct?

MrTytronico
2010-12-04, 02:59 PM
HAHA! Silly Wizards, fall to the side and quake in awe as us Sorcerers take over the stage!

...... Wait.......

I was going to ask what you wanted the beast to do, or is it just a beast for the sake of beastness?

Balor01
2010-12-07, 04:47 AM
@spongey
item of permanent antimagic field
Can not be made by SRD. Checked it out. There are Shackless of AMF; but that's it.
Also hounds' teleport is psionic, not magic. So no effect from AMF.

@Glimbur
It is called Hound, because it hunts ...

Why does it have both Fast Healing and Regeneration which cannot be bypassed?
Because it was built by snake-casters who really knew their art. And to scare wizs :D

The AMF, regeneration, and other effects mean that the best way to deal with this is an Epic AoE Disintegrate-type Save or Die which doesn't allow SR...
It's still in AMF ...

a much smarter plan is an Epic Gate which pulls them to Carceri or somewhere else no-one will mind an epic swarm tearing up everything.

It will just teleport back ...

@Gorgondantess

Creatures need a constitution score to have regeneration.
Lizard magic, I guess ...

Orbs are not area effects ... so vs swarm ...

That, or get your ubercharger barbarian with his greathammer to charge & annihilate it in one round.
Swarm trait. Immune to weapons.

@spongey
I see that disintegrate may be needed after all.

@MrTytronico
I was looking for a strongest monster possible. Also something that i could put in my campaign for high-lvl play.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-07, 05:10 AM
Actually, one of the assumptions of core is that psionics and magic are subject to cross over, hence the complaint earlier. The Magic-Psionics Transparency rule is the standard, see.

What I meant with Energy Warper is that it says "certain energy types" but never tells you which ones.

It could be "this is dictated by the last energy type to hit them, fool me twice and all that"

or it could really mean "Fire, Acid, Lightning, Sonic, Cold, Force, Positive, Negative, Holy, Unholy". You need to state which ones affect it; leaving it up to the GM is not design, it's suggestions.

On the racial bonuses, just set the DCs and then put "this save is [whichever stat] based and includes a +X racial bonus." Slightly cheating by some people's viewpoint but I've never been one for officiality.

Hyooz
2010-12-07, 01:30 PM
I find it amusing that this epic hunter-creature can be totally stymied by a mundane windstorm.

Gorgondantess
2010-12-07, 02:44 PM
Lizard magic, I guess ...
Then your pet is fueled by DM fiat. I could also give something infinite HP and stats and say it kills everything in the universe no save no SR just die.

Orbs are not area effects ... so vs swarm ...
There's a way to metamagic it into being effective vs. swarms. Trust me.:smallamused:

Swarm trait. Immune to weapons.
Only if it's fine or diminutive. It's tiny, which means it would actually take full damage from a greathammer.

Thugorp
2010-12-07, 09:22 PM
The guy above is right. You need to correct the mistake. It is as easy as simply changing regen., to a very high, fast healing, Or giving it a con. score and making it a living construct.

Also, you need to choose between construct or vermin. You can have non-vermin sworms if that is why you did that. You can also, have non-construct creatures without constitutions(I believe undead) Try one of these.

My over all suggestion would be to go with, tinny(or possibly diminutive to get around that trouble your having with weapon damage) living construct swarm. It could even still have 0int. if you wanted. Though(if you would perfure this would allow you the choice to give it an int. score as well) In any case they could still look like tiny bug drone magical machine things.

Or you could simply change them to having fast healing, though I think the other options availiable are more what you are looking for.

In any case, the challenge rating should probably be somewhere in the 18-21CR range.

Balor01
2010-12-08, 05:45 AM
Have removed regeneration, but added acid cloud. Full mundane concealment for our swarm. FTW! weee.

@Gorgondantess
How does one switch orbs into AoE spells?

Glimbur
2010-12-08, 11:36 AM
This creature isn't particularly a good hunter... it has no special abilities to track its prey beyond Trace Teleport and it can't move between planes. Add Remote Viewing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/remoteViewing.htm), Metafaculty (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metafaculty.htm), and Psionic Plane Shift (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/planeShiftPsionic.htm) to its psi-like abilities. It can still be avoided by hiding inside dimensionally locked building with 250' thick walls, but that is rather impractical.

The removal of Regeneration means that this creature could be destroyed by a sufficient number of castings of Hail of Stones from Spell Compendium, enabled by Invoke Magic from Lords of Madness. Which is probably ok.

druid91
2010-12-08, 02:10 PM
The wizard could just make some powerful poison. 3 strength damage and this thing is down for the count.

Thugorp
2010-12-08, 03:22 PM
You can't poison something that has no constitution score.

druid91
2010-12-08, 03:43 PM
You can't poison something that has no constitution score.

Since when?:smallconfused:

IIRC the only thing preventing poisoning is immunity. Certain epic level poisons go right through that.