PDA

View Full Version : Americana-punk Vagrant Class (Saga-ish)

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-02, 06:17 PM
Based on ideas from this thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176818) This is a work in progress, and talents and class features will be added and removed based on feedback.

A smelly old man with no home? A drunk who bums money off strangers and never pays his train fare? A sacred guardian, protecting the Range from the greed of the Cities and the lawlessness of the Wild? A vagrant is all these things. They ride the rails around the Range, righting wrongs, keeping people safe from the Guv'ment, the Wild and the shadowy Administration

Vitality Die: d8

Class Skills (List of proposed skills) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9864247&postcount=215)
Acrobatics (Dex), Athletics (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge: Urban Legends (Int), Knowledge: Tall Tales (Int), Knowledge: Myths (Int), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis)

Skill Points at 1st level
(6+ Int Modifier) x 4

Skill Points ant each additional level
6 + int modifier

Defences: Fortitude +2, Will +1

BAB: 3/4

Class Features

Weapon and Armour Proficency
Vagrants are proficient in all simple weapons, improvised weapons, handguns and longarms. Vagrants are proficient in light and medium armour.

Moonshine on
A Vagrant can resist the penalties of drinking moonshine up to half of his Vagrant level. The rules for drinking alcohol can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9858107&postcount=179).

Talents

A collection of abilities for the Vagrant. All of these only work if the Vagrant has had a shot of moonshine that day (unless otherwise noted)

The Willies (Su)
Basic: The Vagrant can detect the presence of people who work for the guv'ment or the administration as a free action within a 10' radius. He may not tell direction, number, or power. It feels like he just got sober all of a sudden. Creepy.

Improved: The Vagrant can give a good hiding to members of the guv'ment or the administration. He adds his spunk (charisma) bonus to attack rolls and his Vagrant level to damage. He may do this a number of times per day equal to his Vagrant level + his spunk bonus.

Master: The Vagrant can now detect exactly who works for the guv'ment or the administration as a free action within a 20' cone. Any critical hits he rolls against them automatically confirm.

The Jibblies (Su)
Basic: The Vagrant can detect the presence of creatures from the wild within a 10' radius. He may not tell direction, number, or power. It feels like he just got a little more drunk.

Improved: The Vagrant can give a good hiding to creatures from the wild. He adds his spunk (charisma) bonus to attack rolls and his Vagrant level to damage. He may do this a number of times per day equal to his Vagrant level + his spunk bonus.

Master: The Vagrant can now detect exactly where creatures from the wild are as a free action within a 50' cone. He may re-roll a missed attack against them once/round.

That's my train (Ex)
Basic: The Vagrant can utter the words "that's my train". A train will conviently pull up at the nearest station within the next ten minutes. The Vagrant will only make it in the nick of time and will have to run along side it to get on it, requiring a DC 13 tumble check. Guards are likely to try to stop him if they see him. If he is at a station with no train, there will conviently have always been one there that he didn't spot.

Improved: When the Vagrant says "that's my train", the train that pulls up to the nearest station will need to fill its water tank. The Vagrant will make it in enough time to get on comfortably before it pulls away. Guards are still likely to stop him if they spot him.

Master: When the Vagrant says "that's my train", the train that pulls up to the nearest station needs to fill its water tanks. The station guards are drunk, and the guards on the train are too tired to check the cargo carriages.

Moonshine on you crazy diamond... (Su)
Basic: A Vagrant can create moonshine so long as he has something to keep it in (tin cup, tin can, glass, cupped hands etc), a piece of an edible* plant, clean-ish water, his own spit and an item of his own used and never been washed clothing. The process takes a number of nights equal to 8 minus his Vagrant level, to a minimum of 1 and requires a craft (distilation) check of DC 15, or DC 25 for "good stuff". This creates ~8 shots of moonshine.
*Edible - an old Vagrant term for anything not immediately toxic or poisonous.

Improved: The Vagrant can ignore the penalties of drinking moonshine to a maximum of his level-1, or half his Vagrant level, which ever is higher. The Vagrant can substitute anything identifiably organic and solid (leather, paper, beef, leaves) for the edible plant material when making moonshine. If the Vagrant does have edible plant material, then the DC to make "good stuff" is reduced to 20.

Master: The Vagrant "just happens to have" a nearly empty glass bottle of standard moonshine on him at all times, even if he has no other equipment on him. If he is searched, this moonshine cannot be found by any means, however retrieving it is a standard action that provokes an attack of opportunity. The bottle contains 2 shots of moonshine. The Vagrant can use this ability 1/day.

This is where I get off (Su)
Basic: As a free action the Vagrant may halve the speed of any train he is on in order to make it safer for him to leap off while it is still moving. The train's speed slows down by 10' every round until it reaches half its base speed.

Improved: As a free action the Vagrant can double the maximum speed of any train he is on to make it arrive at its destination quicker. This plays havoc with the timetables. The train gains 10' of speed per round until it reaches twice its base speed

Master: As a free action the Vagrant can bring a train that he is currently on to a complete stop, or quadruple its speed. A train that is brought to a stop while moving loses 20' of speed per round, and continues to move forward while it is slowing down. The Vagrant can speed a train up by 20' every round until it reaches four times its base speed.

What'chu bin eatin? (Ex)
Basic: As a standard action, the Vagrant may belch in an opponent's face. The opponent must make a fortitude save equal to 10+1/2 Vagrant level+Vagrant's charisma modifier or become dazed for one round.

Improved: The Vagrant exudes a nasty stench that makes people around him feel ill. People within 10' of the Vagrant must make a fortitude save each round equal to 10+1/2 Vagrant level+Vagrant's charisma modifier or become nauseated for that round. The Vagrant may turn this on or off as a free action.

Master: The Vagrant's belch becomes even more potent. The opponent becomes stunned instead of dazed.

This here's mah best friend (Ex) - being reviewed for removal
Basic: The Vagrant gains a faithful hound companion. This dog is a standard dog in all ways (though it looks a little scruffy, it's eyes are two different colours and always has one ear hanging down), and knows 3 tricks. While the Vagrant does not have to have had moonshine for the dog to stay around, the dog does. If the dog is not given a shot of moonshine every day, it will wander off to find a Vagrant that will treat it better. If the dog dies, the Vagrant must find a new one and persuade it to join him with a shot of moonshine and a DC 15 handle animal check. The dog shares bonuses and penalties with the Vagrant.

Improved: The Vagrant's dog gains 2 bonus HD, gets +1 natural armour, a +1 bonus to strength, dex and int and gains evasion. The dog also learns one more trick.

Master: The Vagrant's dog gains 2 more bonus HD, increases its natural armour by +1, another +1 bonus to strength and dex and gets a +2 bonus to int, and gets a +4 bonus to will saves against fear and mind-affecting effects. The dog also learns one more trick.

He was just here a second ago (Su)
Basic: When in sight of by anyone working for the guv'ment or the administration, the Vagrant gains +10' to his base land speed.

Improved: The Vagrant can blend in with crowds and gains a +4 bonus to hide checks when surrounded by people.

Master: If the Vagrant dives into a barrell, crate, box or similarly sized container while in sight of anyone who works for the guv'ment or the administration, he can "accidentaly find himself" in another one within 50'. Doing this makes the Vagrant's head hurt, and when he makes this move he is dazed for one round.

Note to self: Add defensive talents.

Rule of the Rails
1) A Vagrant must never settle in one dwelling place for longer than a month.
2) A Vagrant may also never own or rent land, or willingly allow someone to own or rent land for him to use.
3) A vagrant must never, ever, under any circumstances sell out to the man (this last clause has caused some troubles, as no vagrants can ever agree on what selling out is, however it is usually interpreted as accepting money from the guv'ment or administration, or providing the guv'ment or administration with information).

Ex-Vagrants
A Vagrant who ceases to follow the Rule of the Rails loses the ability to use his talents. In order to regain his abilities, he must spend a week ridin' the rails with a Vagrant re-learning what it was that made him want to be a Vagrant in the first place. He must finish this ritual by looking retrospectively at a sunset while sitting in one of the cargo cars of a train, sharing no-home made moonshine with his new Vagrant mentor.

Eldan
2010-12-02, 07:19 PM
I'd actually just use the Wild cohort feat for companions. It's on the Wizard's site... that way, we save the effort of making companion talents for half the classes out there.

gkathellar
2010-12-02, 09:15 PM
Important: Saga defenses scale one point per level. In other words, no saving throw progressions. However, every class receives either +2 to one defense and +1 to one other, or +1 to all defenses. i see the vagrant having +2 Fortitude, +1 Will.

Less Important: Full BAB? That seems a little odd. Skills might also go up to 6+Int. I don't know, maybe I was just envisioning the vagrant as less of a primary combatant.

Also, the code of conduct makes me a little unsure. I'm not sure there should be one.

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-03, 03:34 AM
Important: Saga defenses scale one point per level. In other words, no saving throw progressions. However, every class receives either +2 to one defense and +1 to one other, or +1 to all defenses. i see the vagrant having +2 Fortitude, +1 Will.

Less Important: Full BAB? That seems a little odd. Skills might also go up to 6+Int. I don't know, maybe I was just envisioning the vagrant as less of a primary combatant.

Also, the code of conduct makes me a little unsure. I'm not sure there should be one.

1) I did not know that. I know 3.5 better than I know any other system, so thanks for clearing that up.

2) Well, I gave him full BAB so he could deal with the wild and the city more effectively, 3/4 BAB would seem fair, and 6+int skill points also seems reasonable.

3) Well, he's a vagrant who's job it is to protect the range. It'd seem strange to me if he ever bought a house in the city and started working for the administration, but still had all his vagranty powers.

gkathellar
2010-12-03, 06:30 AM
3) Maybe the code of conduct just requires him to spend no longer than a month in any one location, and never to own, rent or use some kind of flippy excuse to effectively possess property, then?

Eldan
2010-12-03, 06:34 AM
Hmm. I'd just say "own no property". Or "no land", even. Because I can totally see a Hobo in the role of town drunk, hanging around abandoned buildings (hunting ghosts), under bridges (hunting monsters) and at the margins of town (renewing protection circles).

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-03, 08:06 AM
Edited to bring format in line with The Stranger (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178294).

Does anyone have any ideas for defensive talents for use against the Wild/City folk? I don't want to provide AC or save bonuses. Things like enchantments to confuse or decieve them/talk to animals are ideal, but how to mechanically make them work or scale are things I need help with.

Also, I like the animal companion talent, but is it necessary?

Feedback, please.

Eldan
2010-12-03, 08:07 AM
Well, I just think that about half the classes could conceivably have animal companions. Cowboys and their trusty steeds. Farmers and Lawmen and their dogs. And so on. So just making it a feat would be easier.

cheezewizz2000
2010-12-03, 10:54 AM
Well, I just think that about half the classes could conceivably have animal companions. Cowboys and their trusty steeds. Farmers and Lawmen and their dogs. And so on. So just making it a feat would be easier.

Well, in an E6-10 system you're going to get 4-5 feats pre-epic. That means that they're even more like gold-dust than in an E20 system. Animal companions as a talent means:

A) Getting an animal companion is "cheaper" than a feat, and feats can be used to focus your character in other areas
B) Means one less talent to come up with for every class. All that needs to be decided are the animals and how they scale.