PDA

View Full Version : One Piece!

true_shinken
2010-12-02, 08:52 PM
So, I'm reading One Piece 606... man, it feels liek Caribou will be joining the crew. What do you think about this?

Xondoure
2010-12-02, 09:11 PM
Upset, the gender ratio is already imbalanced.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-02, 09:14 PM
So, I'm reading One Piece 606... man, it feels liek Caribou will be joining the crew. What do you think about this?
Too weak. But I was getting that feeling too. Plus, he isn't a good person like the rest of the crew, and he has another sizable crew already. I'm still waiting for Buggy to show up as one of the Warlords of the Sea.

Upset, the gender ratio is already imbalanced.
Hasn't stopped anything before. 8 boys 2 girls. Max, their will be 11 on the ship (Luffy +10) it will never be balanced. I can name 4 girls in One Piece that mean anything.

Boa, Tashigi, Robin, and Nami. That's it.

VanBuren
2010-12-02, 10:12 PM
Nope, Luffy only recruits Peace Maine pirates.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-02, 10:16 PM
Nope, Luffy only recruits Peace Maine pirates.
Does good mean peaceful? No. These guys (Strawhats) DO have strong (and accurate) moral compasses though. Caribou doesn't (or hasn't been shown with one at least). Plus, considering the animal theme, I'm thinking he may go the way of Buggy.

CorrTerek
2010-12-02, 11:22 PM
Caribou as part of the crew? Not likely. He doesn't fit in with the rest of them at all.

Caribou does amuse me, though. The humiliation conga he seems to be undergoing just keeps getting better and better.

VanBuren
2010-12-02, 11:44 PM
Does good mean peaceful? No. These guys (Strawhats) DO have strong (and accurate) moral compasses though. Caribou doesn't (or hasn't been shown with one at least). Plus, considering the animal theme, I'm thinking he may go the way of Buggy.

No, Peace Maine is a term for a certain kind of pirate. It comes from Romance Dawn, one of the earlier drafts of One Piece. The other was Morgania. The terms don't ever get used in One Piece but the idea is still kind of there.

cdstephens
2010-12-03, 02:40 AM
I'm still hoping Luffy finds a Space Marine to recruit. Or maybe a Jedi.

Kato
2010-12-03, 03:44 PM
Uhm... no, I'm not seeing that happening. He's way too evil. Also, Usually Luffy realizes he wants someone in the crew the first time he meets them (maybe apart from Robin) and he didn't show any sign. Also, he's way too weak, probably.

true_shinken
2010-12-04, 08:57 PM
Uhm... no, I'm not seeing that happening. He's way too evil. Also, Usually Luffy realizes he wants someone in the crew the first time he meets them (maybe apart from Robin) and he didn't show any sign. Also, he's way too weak, probably.
Well, he is a logia. And it became clear recently that he is not so weak as he lead the crew to believe - he was caught on purpose.
About being evil, well, Robin seemed evil as well when she first appeared, as did Franky. The Mugiwara are missing both a token evil member and a logia type, I could see Oda adding Caribou to the crew.
Of course, I could just as easily see him not adding Caribou ^^

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-04, 09:07 PM
Well, he is a logia. And it became clear recently that he is not so weak as he lead the crew to believe - he was caught on purpose.
What? How did you get that?

No, Peace Maine is a term for a certain kind of pirate. It comes from Romance Dawn, one of the earlier drafts of One Piece. The other was Morgania. The terms don't ever get used in One Piece but the idea is still kind of there.
Hmmm. I've read one (there are three right) of the Romance Dawns, but I don't remember that.

CorrTerek
2010-12-04, 09:19 PM

Er, no. He allowed himself to be tied up so that the crew wouldn't realize that A) he had a Devil Fruit power, and B) that it was a Logia. That way he could take them by surprise later, which he was in the midst of plotting to do when Frankie discovered him in the barrel.

VanBuren
2010-12-04, 09:54 PM
Hmmm. I've read one (there are three right) of the Romance Dawns, but I don't remember that.

Yup. It was explained in the first version, and then mentioned again in the second.

Quoth the wiki, nevermore:

Peace Maine

Described in Romance Dawn Version 1, a Peace Maine is a Pirate who goes on adventures, and doesn't really care about personal treasures or going around fighting other Pirates. Luffy, Brook, Shanks and Whitebeard are all good examples of pirates based on the old Peace Maines (along with their respective crews) from Romance Dawn. That is not to say that they will not steal treasure from others if it is there and the chance is open, but their primary goal is usually not to own it and greed is generally not their motivation. More often than not, a Peace Maine pirate sees his or her own crew as their most valuable treasure, and to them, not even the legendary treasure of One Piece can match the value of each crewmate.

Some pirates start out as Peace Maine but may have a life changing experience, possibly a great loss or general corruption over time, and become more like a Morgania. The best example of this is Crocodile, who is said to have been very much like Luffy in his youth. Gekko Moriah, stating that he was exactly like Luffy until he lost his crew in the New World. Peace Maines have been described in Wanted! Chapter 5 as a pirate that goes on adventures funding themselves off the spoils of battles with Morganeer's.

Morgania

The Morgania fight for treasure and personal gain. They are greedy and love to fight just to cause other people pain and misery. Most of the other pirates Luffy and his crew meet are Morgania. Luffy dislikes them and only wants to recruit Peace Maine pirates. Even in the beginning storyline, most One Piece villains are based on the concept of Morgania pirates, such as Buggy, Don Krieg and Kuro. The Peace Maine pirates however, only steal from them, so it is safe to say that the relations between the two aren't the best.
Morganeer pirates don't see their crew as a valuable asset to them and will easily kill them for 'opposing' them as demonstrated by Don Krieg. Kuro also didn't think twice about slaughtering his own men, and the only sympathy he showed towards his crew was that because Luffy stopped him that they would have to suffer. Luffy was shocked to see Kuro slashing his own men half to death. Also, many of the Morganeer type pirates shown in One Piece don't dream at all, and if they do, it's about achieving world domination or something along the lines of that.

For the record, the bolded part makes me physically ill as a sentence. It's not the most stellar example of writing, but the general concept should come across and the pattern does tend to hold: Luffy recruits certain kinds of pirates and never even offers it to other kinds.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-04, 10:34 PM
Morgania

Sound like New World Pirates.

VanBuren
2010-12-04, 11:08 PM
Sound like New World Pirates.

Actually, most of the early pirates fit the model. Alvida, Buggy, Arlong.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-04, 11:12 PM
Actually, most of the early pirates fit the model. Alvida, Buggy, Arlong.
While they're shallow, I'd say both Arlong and Buggy have dreams.

Fjolnir
2010-12-04, 11:33 PM
the way they go about gaining ground on these dreams is the problem.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-04, 11:39 PM
the way they go about gaining ground on these dreams is the problem.
I don't follow what you mean.

VanBuren
2010-12-05, 01:06 AM
While they're shallow, I'd say both Arlong and Buggy have dreams.

For Buggy it's treasure initially, and Arlong wants an empire.

At the same time, Arlong values his crew pretty highly, and Buggy comes to do the same. I think that plays a lot into why the distinctions never made it into the final canon, because then the pirates don't have two be shoe-horned perfectly into a category.

Innis Cabal
2010-12-05, 01:28 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166585&page=9

We have a thread for this.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-05, 11:48 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166585&page=9

We have a thread for this.

That was a month old. Isn't that Necro-posing?

true_shinken
2010-12-12, 12:25 PM
Er, no. He allowed himself to be tied up so that the crew wouldn't realize that A) he had a Devil Fruit power, and B) that it was a Logia. That way he could take them by surprise later, which he was in the midst of plotting to do when Frankie discovered him in the barrel.

How is that different from what I said? That's what I meant, at least.

Fjolnir
2010-12-12, 01:12 PM
I don't follow what you mean.

We meet Buggy as he's forced a mass evacuation of a whole town and is looting it as hard as possible, he also has the Don Krieg and Captain Kuro disregard for his crew in the earliest meeting. Arlong on the other hand has been holding Nami's hometown hostage as well, his cruelty towards humans is very much in force, killing people who cannot afford his absurdly high tribute (his henchmen literally turn one of the towns he extorts upside down at one point)
Most of the "good pirates" we've seen don't do things like that.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-12, 01:13 PM
We meet Buggy as he's forced a mass evacuation of a whole town and is looting it as hard as possible, he also has the Don Krieg and Captain Kuro disregard for his crew in the earliest meeting. Arlong on the other hand has been holding Nami's hometown hostage as well, his cruelty towards humans is very much in force, killing people who cannot afford his absurdly high tribute (his henchmen literally turn one of the towns he extorts upside down at one point)
Most of the "good pirates" we've seen don't do things like that.

Uhm. VanBuren alreay answered, but thatnks anyway.

Fjolnir
2010-12-12, 01:19 PM
well yes, I only elaborated that their method is cruelty as well, one piece has a fairly strong moral compass that makes sense for the most part, allowing you to root for a character that is technically a bad guy because he is the least nasty in a world of ugly, cruel and manipulative people...

CorrTerek
2010-12-12, 04:35 PM
How is that different from what I said? That's what I meant, at least.

I thought you meant he allowed himself to get beaten to a pulp. After he realized how out of his depth he was, he tried to play it cool by not instantly revealing his powers and escaping.

The getting beaten up and tied up part, however, was not part of his plan.