PDA

View Full Version : The Projector [Base class 3.5e, crunch only] (PEACH)

Cheesy74
2010-12-02, 10:11 PM
The Projector is a class I've been working on for a PbP I'm entering. It focuses around using a powerful fist of force (analogous to Bigby's fists) as your main weapon of attack, and turns you into a melee class that attacks from range, supplementing you with psionics.

Right now I'm looking for:
1.)Balance advice. I tried to put this class squarely at T3. Did I succeed? If not, how can I change it one way or the other?

2.)Augmented Force enhancement suggestions. I only have a few relative to the number of enhancements you get right now, and am always taking suggestions for more.

Projector
Hit Die: d8
Skill Points: 4 + Int
LevelBase Attack BonusFortRefWillClass FeaturesPower Points/dayPowers KnownMaximum Power LevelUnarmed Damage
1st+0+0+0+2Projected Blow, Improved Unarmed Strike1111d4
2nd+1+0+0+3Dextrous Projection2211d4
3rd+2+1+1+3Energized Blows, Force Attunement +14311d6
4th+3+1+1+4Projected Sweep6421d6
5th+3+1+1+4Fist of Force (medium)8521d6
6th+4+2+2+5Augmented Force, Force Attunement +212621d8
7th+5+2+2+5Protective Grip16731d8
8th+6/+1+2+2+6Augmented Force20831d8
9th+6/+1+3+3+6Fist of Force (large), Force Attunement +324931d8
10th+7/+2+3+3+7Augmented Force, Twin Fists281041d10
11th+8/+3+3+3+7Bonus Feat361141d10
12th+9/+4+4+4+8Augmented Force, Force Attunement +4441241d10
13th+9/+4+4+4+8Fist of Force (huge)521351d10
14th+10/+5+4+4+9Augmented Force601452d6
15th+11/+6/+1+5+5+9Twin Fists (separate), Force Attunement +5681552d6
16th+12/+7/+2+5+5+10Augmented Force801662d6
17th+12/+7/+2+5+5+10Fist of Force (gargantuan)921762d6
18th+13/+8/+3+6+6+11Augmented Force, Force Attunement +61041862d8
19th+14/+9/+4+6+6+11Bonus Feat1161962d8
20th+15/+10/+5+6+6+12Twin Fists (independent), Augmented Force1282062d8
Class Skills: The Projector's class skills (and their key abilities) are: Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Int), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (Psionics) (Int), Open Lock (Dex), Profession (Wis), Psicraft (Int), Search (Int) Sleight of Hand (Dex), Use Psionic Device (Cha).

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Projectors are proficient with all simple and martial weapons as well as light armor. Armor does not interfere with manifesting.

Manifesting: Projectors manifest psionic powers from the Psychic Warrior list, and manifest exactly as if they were psychic warriors. Their key attribute is Wisdom. They gain bonus power points from a high Wisdom score and base their powers' save DCs on their wisdom modifier. When they gain their Fist of Force ability, any powers that modify their hands (granting the projector new or modified natural weapons, for instance) also affect the fist. Unless they have the appropriate enhancement, however, this does not allow the fist to deliver touch attacks.

Improved Unarmed Strike: The Projector gains the Improved Unarmed Strike feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites.

Projected Blow: The Projector can attack targets up to 5*class level feet away (minimum 10 feet) with the projected force from their fists. These attacks add the projector's wisdom modifier to attack and damage rather than his strength, but are treated in all other ways as an unarmed melee attack. The Projector may also make natural weapon attacks through Projected Blow. Projected Blow does not threaten the squares it can reach. The Projector must have line of sight and line of effect to Projected Blow targets.

Force Attunement:The projector is surrounded by a thin sphere of force, which helps to push away attacks. He gains a bonus to deflection AC equal to 1/3 his class level.

Dextrous Projection: The Projector can use Open Lock, Sleight of Hand, and Disable Device at a range equal to his Projected Blow range. He receives a bonus equal to 1/3 his class level to these skills. In addition, the Projector may manipulate objects with the dexterity of a Greater Mage Hand spell using his projected hands.

Energized Blows: The Projector may choose to deal force damage in place of the physical damage type of his unarmed strikes when using his Projected Blow.

Projected Sweep: Through practice, the Projector can now use Projected Blow to use combat maneuvers at a distance. He is able to use trip, disarm, and bull rush attacks at a range of up to his Projected Blow range as if he were standing in the nearest adjacent space to the target. These attacks do not provoke attacks of opportunity and do not allow the enemy to respond if the maneuver fails. The Projector does not have to move with the bull rush, but cannot push the target beyond his Projected Blow range.

Fist of Force: The projector's skill with force has reached its culmination. Whenever a projector is psionically focused, they can form a persistent fist out of force that functions as a vastly enlarged version of his own as a swift action. The fist cannot travel more than 10*projector level feet from the projector or out of their line of sight, and dissipates if forced to do so. This fist is a force effect and cannot be harmed except by effects that would harm a Wall of Force. Treat the fist as a Medium creature with a 5-foot reach for all purposes. As with Projected Blow, the Projector can attack through his fist, but his attacks are treated as slam attacks, dealing 1d8+str mod force damage. These attacks replace the Projector's attacks for the round, and the fist can attack iteratively if the Projector has enough attacks.

The fist has a fly speed of 30 ft (perfect maneuverability), and can be moved as a move action. Treat the fist as having a strength score of 10+the projector's class level+the projector's wisdom modifier. The fist can be dismissed as a free action on the projector's turn. At level 9 and every four levels thereafter, the fist gains a size category, increasing its damage dice by one step, its strength by 4, and modifying its reach to that of a long creature of its size. When created, the projector may choose any size for the fist between Medium and its maximum size, but it does not gain its full size bonus to strength if it is not of its maximum size.

Augmented Force: Every time a projector gains this ability, he may choose an ability from the Augmentations list below. He must meet all prerequisites for the augmentation he selects. He cannot select the same augmentation more than once.

Protective Grip: The fist may now safely grab up to one willing Medium creature per size category as a standard action (per creature). A Large creature counts as two Mediums and so forth. This ability allows the creatures to be carried indefinitely at the fist's fly speed, so long as the fist stays within its range of the projector. Creatures being carried by the fist cannot move and are considered pinned, but are also considered to have cover against attacks, or improved cover if they are the only creature in the fist's hands. However, while carrying an occupant, the fist cannot take any actions except for movement, and the projector is too focused on avoiding crushing his allies to use any other fist under his control. At level 15 and beyond, the fist acting on its own initiative may still attack if the other is carrying an occupant (or vice versa).

Twin Fists: The Projector now forms two fists, though they count as only one creature and must stay together at all times. The second fist has the same properties as the first, including any enhancements. This gives his fists a +4 circumstance bonus to bull rush, trip, and disarm attempts when both hands are used. In addition, he may attack with both fists as if he possessed the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for the purposes of Fist of Force only. At level 15, the projector gains the option to make the fists two separate creatures, allowing one (chosen upon creation) to act on its own initiative (directly after the projector's turn), without using the projector's actions. This fist still uses the projector's base attack bonus for attacks. At level 20, both fists become independent, acting on their own initiatives.

Bonus Feat: At levels 11 and 19, the projector receives a bonus feat. This feat may be any psionic or metapsionic feat for which the prerequisites are met.

Augmented Force enhancements:
Energized Fist: +1d6 fire, cold, or electricity damage (chosen upon selection, cannot be changed) to fist of force and projected blow attacks. Deals an extra +1d6 for every size category larger than Medium the Fist of Force is.

Visual Link: The fist is now able to leave the projector's line of sight, though it must still stay within range. In addition, the projector may see through the fist at any point with the same visual range, modes, and acuity as the projector.

Psychic Link: The fist becomes capable of delivering touch-based psionic powers for the projector. All attributes of the power remain the same, except that the fist's strength modifier is used for the melee touch attack. If the attack misses, the fist may hold the charge for up to one round per projector level. In addition, while the fist is adjacent to the projector, it may also receive the benefits of any power cast by the projector with a range of Personal. This ability requires the Visual Link enhancement.

Psychic Channeling: The fist is now able to deliver touch-based psionic powers through a melee attack as a standard action. This functions as a normal melee attack, except that the target is affected by the power normally if the attack hits. If the attack misses, the fist may hold the charge for up to one round per projector level. This ability requires the Visual Link and Psychic Link enhancements.

Grasping Hands: The fist gains a +4 competence bonus to grapple checks and the Improved Grab special ability. This enhancement requires a minimum of projector level 8.

Crushing Fist: The fist automatically constricts for slam attack damage on a successful grapple check and can take a -10 to grapple checks to remain mobile while grappling. This ability requires the Grasping Hands enhancement.

Improved Twin Fists: You gain another extra attack on a full attack as if you possessed the Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat for the purposes of Fist of Force only. This extra attack only applies when you are using both fists in an attack. In addition, you gain a +4 circumstance bonus to grapple attempts when both hands are used. This ability requires a minimum of character level 12.

Ground Slam: The fist can now crash into the ground, dealing 2d6+str modifier bludgeoning damage to all creatures in its reach (reflex DC 10+1/2 projector level + wis modifier half) and turning its threatened area into difficult terrain (unless the area is exceptionally hard, such as metal floors. This is the DM's decision). This ability deals +1d6 bludgeoning damage for every size category greater than Medium the fist is. The attack is a standard action.

Death Throes: The projector may expend his psionic focus to cause the fist to explode, dealing 1d4 force damage per projector level plus the projector's wisdom modifier to all creatures within the fist's reach. A reflex save (DC 10+1/2 projector level+wis modifier) halves this damage. If the fist has the Energized Fist enhancement, this also deals damage of the same amount and type.

Knockback: The fist gains the Awesome Blow feat and no longer has to move with bull rushes. This enhancement requires a fist size of Large or larger.

Bulwark: The fist may place itself on its side as a standard action, transforming into a wall of force with a length and width of five feet per size category. It may return to its fist form as a move action, and may take no other actions while in this form.

gkathellar
2010-12-02, 11:54 PM
I like this a lot. It strikes me as a flavorful psychic warrior/monk type character. Several mechanical issues:

- Max power level is missing from the table.
- No improved unarmed strike at first level, and no mention of unarmed strike damage as a class feature.
- No armor proficiency or stat-to-AC bonus. All this class gets in terms of AC bonuses is a scaling deflection bonus, which ends up one point higher than what you can't get with a ring or power. In the mean time, especially at early levels, characters looking for a semi-respectable AC are going to be totally MAD (Str for attacks, Wis for powers, Dex for AC ...). You need to add either armor or Wis-to-AC. (I suggest armor, Wis is overdone.)

Other touches:

- Martial weapon proficiency might also be nice, so that you can use those sweet psychic warrior powers that allow you to fuse your arm with a weapon at distance. It'll pump your damage at low levels very slightly, and have a largely negligible impact later on, but be so incredibly cool.

So yeah, pump the low levels a bit with proficiencies, fix the mechanics and I think you're set.

Edit: Just saw the d6 hit die. That might be a little low, especially considering hit dice have the most impact at low levels, and low levels are already the weakest portion.

The Antigamer
2010-12-03, 12:42 AM
You've worked out all the kinks from my initial review I think. :smallsmile:

What gkathellar said, except I'd just have Force Attunement be always on, and allow light armor.

plus:
Is Projected Blow damage + str, or +wis?

Is Force Manipulation a SLA or Psionic Ability?

Fists of Force are slam attacks, doesn't that make them natural weapons and thus not eligible for TWF? (I guess this is easily handwaved)

I still suggest a flying augmentation, where you step on the palm of the fist, and treat it like a magic carpet :smallbiggrin:

Cheesy74
2010-12-03, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys.

-Max power level is the same as a psychic warrior's progression. I'll toss that in when I get the chance.

-IUS added. How would I put in unarmed strike damage as a class feature? I'm not sure how to phrase the ability.

-On the issue of MWP, this character struck me as more psionically-oriented than combat-oriented, so I tried to keep his combat abilities to simpler weaponry and fists. I may make a variant with full BAB, MWP, and extremely reduced psionic power.

-I've given the class light armor proficiency. As mentioned above, since it's a ranged class that's more focused on psionics, I feel like anything more would be overkill. Force Attunement can certainly be made Always On. Less bookkeeping that way, too.

-The d6 hit die is because it's a ranged class whose main mode of attack is utterly immune to damage. It is a bit weak for low levels, though. I'm not sure what to do there.

-Projected Blow damage is +str, though to help alleviate MAD a bit I'm considering making it +wis. Thoughts?

-Force Manipulation is a psi-like ability.

-The level seven "Protective Grip" ability is meant to substitute for flying. I'll probably replace it with flat-palm flight for simplicity's sake, though.

-I phrased it "as if he possessed the Two-Weapon Fighting feat for the purposes of Fist of Force," so it's already pretty close to qualifying, it just needs a little rewording to remove ambiguity.

gkathellar
2010-12-03, 07:30 AM
Unarmed Strike: Copypasta from one of the countless monk revisions on this board.

Martial Weapons: I still say add them. It's an insignificant boost after a couple of levels, and if you have all those cool psychic warrior powers that let you do fun things with weapons, why not let people do them with axes and swords instead of just daggers and maces?

Armor Proficiency: Yes, but most ranged classes specialize in dexterity, giving them a higher AC. With just light armor, you're still going to end up pretty MAD between Str, Wis and Dex. Keep in mind that your powers are from the Psychic Warrior list - even if you're focused on psionics, you're focused on hitting people in the face with psionics and augmenting your body to ridiculous levels.

HP: Pump it to d8? It becomes increasingly insignificant at higher levels, but it'll help for now.

Projected Blow: Just making damage +wis is insignificant if you don't also change to-hit. Either you need to remove the need for strength or the need for dexterity.

Lix Lorn
2010-12-03, 10:44 AM
This is a VERY cool class.
I agree with most of the things people have said so far.

Pyromancer999
2010-12-04, 08:28 AM
Projected Blow: The Projector can attack targets up to 5*class level feet away (minimum 10 feet) with the projected force from their fists. These attacks deal force damage equivalent to the Projector's unarmed strike damage and add the projector's wisdom modifier to attack and damage rather than his strength, but are treated in all other ways as an unarmed melee attack (or natural weapon attack) by the Projector. Projected Blow does not threaten the squares it can reach. The Projector must have line of sight and line of effect to Projected Blow targets.

SHOCKWAVE BUDDHA-GIRI!

......Alright, manga references aside, this is a pretty awesome class.