PDA

View Full Version : Let's Write: Steampunk

Raistlin1040
2010-12-04, 09:30 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I come to you today with an idea I had a short while ago. As you can see in my signature, I have done a Let's Play before, and the Let's Reads done by Lord Seth have interested me in other forms of Let's [X]. I didn't want to Let's Play another game, and to be honest, Let's Reading a bad book would just irritate me, and Let's Reading a good one would probably be boring for most people.

The Idea
The idea I had was to do a Let's Write. If all goes according to plan, I will be doing two chapters a week (most likely on Wednesdays and Saturdays). Now, I think the real reason Let's [X]s are so fun is because they're usually done with no real knowledge of what to expect. People LP games they've only heard about, or if they've played it (as in my Pokemon LP), in a new way with new rules. Let's Reads work best if the person hasn't read the book.

I have done some writing before, but I've only done two and a half novels that are Horror, Young Adult, and Fantasy. I've never done a Steampunk anything, but the genre intrigues me, and so I've decided that's what the style of writing I'll be going for is. Don't be put off if steampunk isn't your thing because I hope to create a good story, not just a steampunk one. I might fail at that, but if I fail, do you know whose fault it is?

Why It Is Your Fault
It is your fault. It is your fault because I have no idea what the hell I am doing. I don't know much about steam technology and I've never concerned myself much with realism. If I get something wrong, it's because no one ever told me. If I have Hindenburg-style flying blimp tanks manned by Cyborg Abraham Lincoln, it's because I thought Cyborg Lincoln could realistically be fashioned by evil Nazi scientists. Only you and your continued participation can prevent glaring factual errors.

What I Need From You
Participation. Hopefully, this novel will work out well and you'll all like it, because I need your help. I don't know enough about technology to be able to write a novel set in a world with a lot of technology different from our own. If a few people would volunteer to help me with that, so that the novel isn't full of "You fail engineering forever" moments, that would be much appreciated.

In addition to that, I want you all to give suggestions. There will be times I will need you to vote on what you want to happen, and sometimes I will just want to know what you think about what's being written so far. I'm not entirely sure how it's all going to work out, so I think the exact way we'll be operating will be found out when we get going.

The Exact Way We'll Be Operating
I do have some ideas, though. I'm not going to be able to start this until January, I think, so I'm going to need some ideas on stuff before we even get started so I can begin outlining (outlining, I add, that will likely be messed up by the third chapter if you guys vote away from it). You guys as a group can decide if A) If you want me to give you votable options, or write in questions as a way of expressing your collective wills and B) If I have executive veto power over write in suggestions, as the principle author.

Before we begin, here is a bit of background on the novel. We're going to be set in a different world from Earth, with a different timeline. Steam is going to be the primary technology. The state is known as The Machine (if this is too stupid for you, feel free to vote to change it), and it's run by a militaristic leader. His right hand man is a mysterious man known as Dis (The only character name I have actually chosen. Feel free to screw with it). It is through Dis's perspective (though likely in 3rd person) that we will see the world.

Just to begin, we need a name for the leader, and you can change the name of The Machine or Dis if you have a better suggestion.

So, who's interested?

PirateMonk
2010-12-04, 10:17 PM
Looks fun. I don't have any suggestions now, but I'll see what I come up with later. Is The Machine currently planned as the sole state?

Raistlin1040
2010-12-04, 10:24 PM
It's not planned as anything. I was thinking of it being a sprawling dystopian metropolis, but I have no idea if there are other states or not.

More things for the readers to decide, yay!

Icewalker
2010-12-04, 10:51 PM
I feel like the leader should have a title, more than a name (although probably also a name).

I am currently beginning scripting a steampunk comic/graphic novel with a friend of mine, which we will be self-publishing and nationally distributing as a monthly pulp fiction magazine, starting at the beginning of the next school year. So I know a bit on the issue, I feel.

As to accuracy of science and the like. It won't work. People find the best solution to a problem. That's why we aren't still using steam technology: we found better. So any piece of technology you come up with will not be perfectly reasonable, either because it is less efficient than is sensible, or because it doesn't exactly work, but it's awesome. I prefer the latter. You exaggerate function slightly, in exchange for style. For example, this airship wouldn't actually be able to get enough lift with this kind of design, but it looks cool, so we're doing it anyway, even if it's somewhat inaccurate.

An important thing to keep in mind: Steampunk is not a genre. Neither is sci fi. Neither is fantasy. Not in the way the word is usually used, anyway. These are settings. You can have a steampunk horror story. Or a steampunk drama, or comedy, or adventure, or whatever else. So you've got figured out a variety of setting, but what kind of story it's going to be is still up in the air. The standards for steampunk (and fantasy and sci fi) I think usually fall into two categories:

-Funny but moderately serious adventure story. For example, Firefly. It's full of amusing moments, but it also has a serious story. This is the more common.
-Dark and gritty. For steampunk, this usually means an industrial feel: more rust and iron and smoke, less shining brass and clockwork.

One of the first things you want to work out if you're doing a steampunk setting is to what degree. The story I'm writing with my friend is near the bottom end of the spectrum: barely any stretches of science, and technology (in general) isn't too far advanced from the time (it's set in the late 1800s). The upper end extreme is things like Girl Genius: you leave a mad scientist alone in a room with a folding chair and an alarm clock, and 30 minutes later he will have built a sentient robot. It sounds like you're going for on the upper end, but not all the way: technology is fictionally functional, but not ridiculous.

So far, you have some idea of the setting, and of the protagonist, who is the right hand man of the ruler of the government. What does this job entail? Is he a politician, an assassin, a commander, an adventurer? This question goes together with "what's the plot" which is so vague a question that it can't be truly answered, but you need some ideas in that vein, anyway.

Cool name for the protagonist, by the way. :smallbiggrin:

Another question: does Dis work alone, or does he lead a small group? Either dynamic can work well: either you get a badass solo jack of all trades, or you get a team of specialized awesome folks.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-04, 11:02 PM
In order (and sexy bullet points, oh my god!)

Yes, a title is probably more important than a name. Ideas?
Accuracy. Yes, I don't expect everything to be totally workable. I just want it to make some level of sense internally. For example, Dis' left arm was ripped off and has been replaced with a brass one. I would want to know possible complications of that kind of surgery, and if the ideas I have in mind would make sense. I'm trying to avoid "That would never work, so stupid" moments more than I'm trying to please a scientist.
I am trying to avoid GRIMDARK. This is going to be a serious story that will probably get grittier as it progresses, but I want you guys to keep me away from superangst and gratuitous amount of darkness.
Towards the upper end, yes. Sentient robots are not possible, but I expect that there will be some kind of robotic technology. Dis' arm, and possibly some primitive humanoid robots.
I have a few ideas, but I don't want to give away all the story. Of what you listed, think hybrid Commander/Assassin.
Mostly alone, though sometimes called upon to fulfull a more traditional military role, which puts him in a more group dynamic.

Icewalker
2010-12-04, 11:12 PM
Dis' arm,

Avoid this pun at all costs. This is my best advice at the moment.

How long are you expecting this to be? And what are you going to do with it when you're done? Self publish, perhaps? Just that I'm not always looking around for interesting things that could have some connection, one way or another, with this serial I'm producing. :smallbiggrin:

Ooh, mechanical arm. Excellent. I love machine parts which could have badass hidden components...like a blade. I think probably the biggest issue with a surgery like that would be that it would take a long period of physical therapy and training to get the arm working like a regular arm by thought. As a fictional idea, it's hard to come up with realistic complications, but I think that's a good one. It could allow for an extensive flashback sequence involving his trauma and recovery from whatever went horribly wrong (he must have failed critically in something very important, given who he is and that he lost his entire arm in the process...also, perhaps the arm was just too damaged, and had to be removed, wasn't cleanly removed by whatever happened, because that's almost more traumatic...)

Another potential issue with the arm is power. Which also offers the possibility of a McGuyver moment where he uses the power source for something, giving up the use of his arm until he can get a new power component.

Edit: Oh, and a note of some importance. If you try to do anything with this, I think you might run into legal issues to hell and back. I know there's some kind of issue with getting ideas and suggestions from people and using them for a published work.

PirateMonk
2010-12-04, 11:31 PM

Archon? Provost? Engineer-General? Consul? Some other title from the Roman Republic?

Icewalker
2010-12-05, 12:03 AM
Mechanical title. For example, I have an adventure I have some ideas for, involving the plane of Mechanus, where every title is analogous to the parts of a watch.

For here I could imagine the name of a part of an engine...or something similar.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-05, 12:07 AM
No idea what I'm going to do with this when I'm finished. Self-publishing seems unlikely given that I'm not quite 17 years old.

On arm complications: I actually had my own now that I remember it, and and was also thinking of a flashback sequence (in first person, as a journal).

Legal Issues: Yes, I am regrettably aware that this will never get published, even if I would like it to and it ends up being good enough. Unfortunately, I don't know what there is I can do about that.

Internet Flea
2010-12-05, 12:11 AM
Accounter comes to mind, though it's quite possibly terrible.

PirateMonk
2010-12-05, 12:15 AM
Mechanical title. For example, I have an adventure I have some ideas for, involving the plane of Mechanus, where every title is analogous to the parts of a watch.

For here I could imagine the name of a part of an engine...or something similar.

The names of engine parts are generally pretty terrible for this purpose. Boiler? Pump? Cylinder? Piston could work, but still isn't great.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-05, 01:02 PM
Yeah, a quick Wikipedia check of the parts of a steam engine doesn't yield any particularly awesome suggestions.

TheBibliophile
2010-12-05, 01:20 PM
Tender, maybe? It would also help to create the propaganda image of a benevolent ruler, which I presume is not what he is.

This looks really interesting. I'll participate when I can, which may not be all that often.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-05, 03:54 PM
Another thing we might want to talk about: Weapons. Your standard army mooks, are they using guns? Revolutionaries (because someone might want to fight the government at some point), are they using shoddy guns, or things like knives? What should Dis use to fight? I'm thinking something like a lightsaber (in what it represents, not the actual weapon design itself). Something less dangerous in the hands of a mook, but in the hands of someone who has the skill to use it, very deadly, and also a unique symbol of our protagonist.

Internet Flea
2010-12-05, 04:01 PM
Don't know how silly you want this to be, but I'd recommend guns that shoot steam; it amuses me to think of an army fighting with superheated water pistols.

Icewalker
2010-12-05, 06:31 PM
Steamthrowers are actually a pretty legit simple weapon, especially if you want to be harsh. It'd be kind of like a nonlethal (or relatively nonlethal) flamethrower, probably, badly scalding everybody in an area in front of you.

I have lots of ideas for crazy high tech weaponry. Because I am using them for my stories, for the Imperial Regiment, who are terrifyingly well armed. So I can't give you those.

But let's see. I suggest he wield a melee weapon and a ranged weapon, the ranged weapon in his living hand, the melee weapon something built into his mechanical arm. Cause that's really cool.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-05, 06:50 PM
Steamthrowers actually sound like ridiculously evil crowd control. I like it.

Worlok
2010-12-05, 06:51 PM
For a ruler's title in a Steampunk setting, provided technology is actually a very central component of life within it, I'd suggest (something like) ''Arch-Engineer''. It has both a technological appeal and a bombastic ring to it, which - in my opinion - should befit the position nicely.

TheBibliophile
2010-12-06, 06:24 AM
For a ruler's title in a Steampunk setting, provided technology is actually a very central component of life within it, I'd suggest (something like) ''Arch-Engineer''. It has both a technological appeal and a bombastic ring to it, which - in my opinion - should befit the position nicely.

Or, if that's the way you're going, "Chief of Engineers", the title of the head of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. That way another propaganda image is created, of him being "one of the guys" - someone who has risen from the ranks and is amenable to the needs of the man in the street (or man in the girders of the giant zeppelin fortress, alternatively :smalltongue:).

And as far as weapons are concerned, I agree that the steamthrowers sound awesome for crowd control, and could be the signature tool of a much-feared riot police/SS organisation, but for the army, what about a gun that uses superheated air to propel bullets, much like those Japanese robots that propel darts with compressed air? I have no idea if this would work, but you could easily handwave it if necessary.

leakingpen
2010-12-06, 11:28 AM
Listen to almost everything Icewalker has said so far, he knows what he says!

I like Dis. Its been used before, but enh, what hasn't?

As a title...

There's Harlan Ellison story about a society where being late was considered a crime, and the man who kept track of how late people were, in agregate, was called The TickTock Man. Alternately, The Clockwork Man?

The big thing to remember with a mechanical arm, its still attached to bone and muscle. Superhuman strength isnt going to happen, as it would ripp itself free of its socket.

How do you plan to distribute? Just posting in the forum? If you'd like to publish online elsewhere, well, (points at sig line)

I'd suggest putting major plot points, and or decisions, as polls. Say, does Dis put a bullet in his brain, or talk to the guy. VOTE NOW! That way, no matter what decision Dis makes, you still have some control over the story (note, the choice wasn't to KILL the guy, but to shoot him. If he's important, Dis will still miss. Up to you as the author. )

As to the almost everything icewalker says, Steam is a VERY viable technology. In fact, we run on steam today. Most of our electricity comes from steam. coal, oil, and nuclear power plants all run on steam. Steam powered cars are honestly very efficient, just a lot of work. Without electronics, steam would have remained a viable technology to build on.

Hell, i have a steam powered boat, pipes in a canoe, runs on a variant of hero's engine.

ohh, on weapons (last edit, i swear) look at the mythbuster's take on the steam powered civil war machine gun.

DrakebloodIV
2010-12-06, 11:37 AM
In order (and sexy bullet points, oh my god!)

The Watchwinder if you do a lot of clockwork, the mechanist, the jigsaw man, the ironclad, the soulsmith

Accuracy. Yes, I don't expect everything to be totally workable. I just want it to make some level of sense internally. For example, Dis' left arm was ripped off and has been replaced with a brass one. I would want to know possible complications of that kind of surgery, and if the ideas I have in mind would make sense. I'm trying to avoid "That would never work, so stupid" moments more than I'm trying to please a scientist.

How about by having the arm not cleanly ripped, with pieces of muscle being left intact enough to actuate levers in the steam equipment?

I am trying to avoid GRIMDARK. This is going to be a serious story that will probably get grittier as it progresses, but I want you guys to keep me away from superangst and gratuitous amount of darkness.

How about giving it sudden tone changes that mirror the gilded age? Grimdark is annoying because it has no contrast, but why not contrast clean symmetrical clockwork with ugly grinding steam mancrushers?

Towards the upper end, yes. Sentient robots are not possible, but I expect that there will be some kind of robotic technology. Dis' arm, and possibly some primitive humanoid robots.

Maybe robots that are just the remote body of massive logic machines.

I have a few ideas, but I don't want to give away all the story. Of what you listed, think hybrid Commander/Assassin.

How about a machine killer? A man hired to go into incredibly complicated machinery and sabotage it in a natural seeming way. Maybe he lost his arm in some gears.

Mostly alone, though sometimes called upon to fulfull a more traditional military role, which puts him in a more group dynamic.[/QUOTE]

Machine wars? Yes please.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-06, 07:47 PM
Alright, I've done some thinking and here is what I think I want to do about suggestions. If I end up going with a first person journal look into the past, there will not be any voting about that stuff. Dis' past is set in stone and cannot be changed. I also have an ending in mind that I would like to use, but I'm going to leave it up to you guys about whether or not it happens. Everything else is up to a vote, and I will try to provide a few options, and there will always be an option to defer to me for a decision.

Does this arrangement sound agreeable to you?

Internet Flea
2010-12-06, 10:43 PM
Agreed.

I'm curious as to why the Head Cheese is militaristic. How long has he been in charge? Have they needed their military recently? Did he take power with it?

Sounds like you've got Dis' past worked out already, but I'm seeing him losing his arm due to the recklessly dangerous working environment the former ruler allowed, and helped overthrow him for that. I'm also seeing him using it as a storage device for a few weapons and maybe something to cauterize wounds. (Or maybe that is the weapon.)

EDIT: Of course, now I'm seeing it as a wacky romantic comedy, so grains of salt and all.

Icewalker
2010-12-06, 10:53 PM
Definitely many folding tools and weapons within the arm. That's always awesome. Make sure it doesn't turn into a deus ex armo though. Establish what he has. Then use it in unexpected ways, Bond style.

Raistlin1040
2010-12-07, 01:37 AM
I'd prefer to keep his arm from being a giant Swiss Army Knife, if only because I think that would just get a bit silly. I'm thinking some kind of blade definitely, and possibly another simple gadget or two.

TheBibliophile
2010-12-07, 01:10 PM
I'd prefer to keep his arm from being a giant Swiss Army Knife, if only because I think that would just get a bit silly. I'm thinking some kind of blade definitely, and possibly another simple gadget or two.

A lockpick maybe, or some sort of spanner if he's an engineer-type dude?

Raistlin1040
2010-12-12, 10:51 PM
I have a handful of novel ideas swimming around in my head at the moment, and I intend on writing them all. I don't want to lose any ideas, so I've been writing prologues to all of them. Even though I'm going to start this one fairly soon, I didn't want to other ideas to phase it out, so I wrote this. If you guys like it, we'll keep it in as the prologue, but if you don't, it doesn't have to be canon.
PrologueIt was a large room, pristine and elegant. The walls were adorned with various ornate clocks, keeping track of time to the nanosecond. In the center of the room was a shiny bronze table and seated at the head of the table was Ulrich Falken, the Chief of Engineers. Clustered around the table were a group of generals, advisors, and politicians who waited with baited breath for the arrival of someone they hadn’t met. Falken seemed content to sit in his chair and dismantle his cane, an astounding piece of technology that contained a hidden wand that could stop a man’s heart with a jolt of electricity.

“Is he coming?” It was a pointed question, nearly an accusation, and the Chief of Engineers would not tolerate such insolence. He turned to the aide who had spoken abruptly. The man paled in opposition to Falken’s gaze. “My apologies, sir, I just-” Falken snapped his cane back into position and then brought it down on the table with force.

“I understand your concern, Mr. Harbour, but I can assure you that your newest coworker will make his appearance soon.” As if to illustrate his point, he gestured towards the door, which opened slowly as a darkened figure slid into the room. He walked slowly over to the table until he stood behind the Chief of Engineers. The corners of Falken’s mouth twitched upwards into a halfway smile. “Gentlemen, I present my newest…” He paused, trying to think of a proper title. “Well, my newest retainer, at any rate.”

The figure behind the chair was bundled up in a way that set the council on edge. His face was obscured by a helmet that was worn only by the most dangerous soldiers and his torso was covered by a thick military jacket and dark gloves. Something about him seemed tense, almost animalistic, and even the most battle-hardened generals were wary of this man they’d never seen.

“Here, take my seat.” A meek little man that sat next to Falken said as he stood. The helmeted figure sat without a word as the man scampered to the other end of the table. Falken smirked, obviously enjoying the discomfort the newest arrival had caused the council.

“Now that we’ve all arrived, I’d like to begin the discussion by addressing something we’re all aware of. The rebels that want to bring us down, those that want to throw a wrench into the gears of our glorious Machine, have begun taking action. They are making preparations to attack me at tomorrow’s ceremony. Generals, what precautions do you think should be taken to ensure they fail?” A slender man in a distinguished red military uniform stood up.

“With all due respect, sir, we have nothing to fear from the rebels. After their last failed insurrection, I think we can safely ignore them as a threat.” Falken’s smirk twitched down into a disapproving frown.

“Come on, Commander Black. Nothing to fear? I am disappointed in you. Our decisions are not made without opposition, and those terrorists that seek to harm our state will not rest after a failed attack.” Commander Black shook his head.

“Sir, it is my professional opinion that our fortresses are impenetrable. All necessary precautions have already been taken to ensure the safety of all of us. Why, we could be swarmed by dozens of the rebels right now and we would be in no danger at all.” Falken began to chuckle to himself.

“No danger? I’m afraid I cannot agree with your opinion, Black, no matter how professional you claim to be. Other opinions?” Another man began to speak but was silenced by a glare from Commander Black.

“I will not be silenced!” It was an outburst, something not tolerated by the Chief of Engineers. His jaw clenched and he turned back to Commander Black.

“I will not be addressed in such a tone, you insignificant wretch.” Realizing the gravity of his mistake, Commander Black began to protest.

“Sir, I’m so sorry, I wasn’t thinking clearly and I-” Falken raised a hand, stopping him.

“Dis?” The helmeted figure sitting next to Falken stood and began to walk menacingly towards Commander Black. Black appeared confused at first, and then began backing away slowly. The figure took his left forearm in his right hand and squeezed. With the twin noises of grinding gears and a blade scraping metal, the man’s left glove and the lower half of his sleeve were torn apart as a bronze blade appeared.

The council gasped. Instead of flesh, the man’s left arm was bronze. A pressure gauge was inlaid into the metal and steam was emitting steadily from the joints. Commander Black yelped and started to run, fearing for his life. Dis, as the figure was called, caught up with him in a few long strides and grabbed him violently with his hand, shoving him against a wall.

The commander struggled, trying to break free, and in his flailing, he knocked off the helmet, revealing the man’s face. Shoulder length brown hair fell free and intense gray eyes locked onto the commander’s face. Black’s eyes widened.

“You…” He gasped as he redoubled his efforts to escape. A second later, Dis swung the blade attached to his metal arm and slashed the throat of the commander, who dropped to the floor as soon as Dis released him. Dis squeezed his bronze arm again, emitting more steam as the blade withdrew and a bronze hand appeared in its place.

“Well done, Dis.” Falken commended. “If you would just take your seat again, we could continue the discussion.” Dis shook his head.

“I tire of your company already, Falken.” Dis spat. Another gasp escaped the council. To their surprise, Falken shrugged.

“As you wish, my friend.”

“I am no friend of yours.” Dis replied coldly. “I will be in the War Room if you need me for anything else.” The Chief of Engineers nodded.

“Of course.” Dis turned and walked away. Rather than go to the War Room as he’d said, however, he walked up the stairs and out on the balcony overlooking The Machine. Tall buildings with tarnished steel loomed over the streets which were paved with broken cobblestones and rainwater mixed with mud. Thick jets of steam were expelled by black chimneys and hung over the city forebodingly. Dis shook his head and looked away.

“The city is broken.” He muttered to himself as he stepped back inside.

Internet Flea
2010-12-12, 11:51 PM
I'd suggest clarification on what the helmet represents. I can see it either being a Special Forces type mask, or this world's version of a medal for X number of kills or something.

(I can also see Dis being introduced by wading through General Black's security forces to prove they aren't sufficient.)

Raistlin1040
2010-12-13, 12:32 AM
I was thinking more Special Forces type, yeah.

Chambers
2010-12-13, 12:44 AM
This may help. :smallsmile:
http://wondermark.com/c/2009-09-22-554fiction.gif

Raistlin1040
2010-12-13, 12:55 AM
That is so fantastic. The Steamblade also sounds like a horrible/awesome title.

Worlok
2010-12-13, 10:15 AM
Feh. It's got nothing on the Chronomancer. :smallbiggrin:

Internet Flea
2010-12-13, 12:50 PM
I honestly want to read a story in which a duel with a sneering wizard ends in a fistfight, on a tower or otherwise.

Icewalker
2010-12-13, 04:42 PM
I like the prologue, quite good. I think it was also notably helped along by listening to Roar from Cloverfield as I read it...

leakingpen
2010-12-14, 10:50 AM
I agree, the most glaring thing is the description of the helmet. I would say a line like, he wore the helmet of the steamhalten guard, feared soldiers, half mad fanatics that frightened their own people as much as they did the enemy.

Other than that, I like it, the prose needs tightening, theres a bit of tell, not show, but its a draft.

Raistlin1040
2011-01-06, 02:41 AM
So...it's been a while since I posted here, so maybe you've all moved on and don't care about this anymore, or maybe you're all still anxiously waiting on the next chapter, but either way I think I owe at least some explanation.

My depression is back. That might be a poor way to start this, by turning this post into a "my problems" post, but that's one thing. It's intensely hard to motivate myself and I think not knowing where this story is going to go makes me not want to try, because I'm worried it'll just collapse in on itself like a black hole of literary fail. So that's the the first thing. I really like the idea I have here, but it's hard to write, and right now, it's kind of difficult to get going.

But perhaps more importantly, as much as I like this idea, I like another one more. This might sound overly sentimental, but as someone who has written two novels and a play (in draft form at least) but been plagued by dozens more, there are some ideas that you need to write. They might be difficult or scary, but they're necessary for your growth as a writer. There are also some (like this one) that you just WANT to write, that you think would tell a good story or be thoughtful, or just be plain enjoyable for someone else to read. At the end of the day, as a writer, those ideas have to get put aside, because as cool as I think this book would be, I can't write it right now because there's another one that is a novel I don't entirely want to write because it's so daunting a task, but it's also one that I feel I need to write.

So that is your explanation for my absence from this thread. I apologize if you were excited to be a part of this project and excited to read what I had to write. I will do my best to make this project happen at sometime, in some format. It might be on a blog, it might be here, it might be on DA, but I will try and see this to its end eventually, and if you're interested, I will contact you when I start it up again. Again, I'm sorry that this has to go on what will likely be a very long hiatus.

leakingpen
2011-01-06, 10:21 AM
I say start serializing your existing work into a few blogs, with a promise to update A story, one of them, once every two weeks, at least. Makes good incentive to keep writing, AND let you have a place to keep each story together and get all the stories out. But thats my 2 copper.