PDA

View Full Version : Volcano Power! [3.5 Items]

Temotei
2010-12-06, 03:20 AM
Lava Lance

The lava lance is an extremely long, thick polearm widening along the weapon's solid black length instead of shortening. At the end, it splits, appearing as a volcano's top, lava included. All along the lance, red veins of lava course, looking fit to burst at any moment, spilling deadly fire. Set in the bottom of the lance's pommel is a red gem, boiling with lava. Heat constantly emanates from the gem to an almost dangerous degree. Wielders of this weapon often wear thick gloves to prevent burns from contact.

The lava lance is a +1 flaming burst lance that grants a constant endure elements effect that works only for cold environments. In addition, if the wielder confirms a critical hit with the lava lance, the lance prepares to erupt, rumbling and shaking slightly, its veins of lava glowing brighter red. For three rounds after confirming a critical hit, the wielder of the lava lance can cause the weapon to erupt, creating a meteor swarm effect immediately, activated at the wielder's choice in chosen locations, as cast by a 17th-level wizard. However, the wielder may unleash only two meteors at a time, allowing for damage distributed throughout the day. The lance contains four meteors in a day, at the end of which, the lava lance replenishes its eruption capacity, allowing for up to four meteors to be unleashed once again.

Strong evocation; CL 17th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, flame blade, flame strike, or fireball, meteor swarm; price 42,310 gp; 21,310 gp + 1,680 XP.

Volcano Fist

The volcano fist is a gauntlet with black rock fitted around the wearer's fist. Bubbling lava sits on the striking end, seemingly always ready to burst out and burn everything. When the wielder strikes with the gauntlet, lava does indeed burst out, burning all creatures around.

The volcano fist is a +1 gauntlet with a constant meteoric strike effect on it, dealing 3d6 fire damage to creatures struck, and half that to creatures within 5 feet of the original target. The surrounding creatures receive a DC 17 Reflex saving throw to halve the damage again. In addition, the wielder may release an explosion of lava from its end once per day, dealing 7d6 fire damage to all creatures in a 60-foot cone as a standard action. After this lava has spewed out, it lies on the ground for 3 rounds, dealing half the original fire damage every round in which a creature stands in the area.

Strong transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, meteoric strike; price 74,302 gp; 37,302 gp + 2,960 XP.

Melting Death

Melting death is unlike most other scythes. At the end of its curved blade drips an endless flow of lava, seemingly melting the scythe blade, but the metal restores itself just as the melted piece falls off, forever keeping it in perfectly sharp condition. More odd than that, though, is that there is a volcano opening at the bottom of its red-veined black metal shaft for the wielder to stick an arm inside. As soon as the wielder does this, lava starts dripping down the scythe's shaft, and therefore, the wielder's arm, which restores itself as soon as it melts and falls down.

Melting death is a +1 vorpal scythe that instead of decapitating its enemies on a natural 20, melts them with and into lava. Enemies killed in this manner are reduced to a puddle of lava equal to their size, which deals 2d6 fire damage per round in which a creature stands in it. The puddle melts into the ground after 3 rounds. Wearing the scythe over an arm grants the wielder 5 fire resistance, as well as the ability to rain lava as a swift action once per round in any spaces they are standing, which deals 2d6 fire damage per round of exposure to all creatures who stand on it. If the wielder does not move out of the affected spaces in the same round they become covered in lava, they take fire damage as normal.

Strong transmutation; CL 19th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, keen edge, heat metal; price 96,318 gp; 48,318 gp + 3,840 XP.

Roc Ness
2010-12-06, 03:33 AM
:eek:

Meteor Swarm?

Buh-buh-buh, even if it is once per day, on a critical, $52000 is a bit cheap...

Koury
2010-12-06, 04:02 AM
:eek:

Meteor Swarm?

Buh-buh-buh, even if it is once per day, on a critical, $52000 is a bit cheap...

I don't know that I'd agree with that. At 52k its not likely to see play until around level 13 (the point where its equal to half your WBL). The fact that its a once/day ability that you have no control over when it activates (and is likely to harm allies, perhaps including yourself and your mount?) plus the fact that lances aren't high crit weapons keep this in the realm of sane.

In my opinion, that is. :smallsmile:

Roc Ness
2010-12-06, 05:22 AM
Huh. Well, I guess that makes sense.

Morph Bark
2010-12-06, 12:34 PM
Is the meteor swarm effect like the full meteor swarm (as in, four spheres, right?) or just one sphere (one meteor)?

Lateral
2010-12-06, 04:46 PM
Also, it says 'at the wielder's choice'. Does that mean that the wielder chooses the target, or just that the wielder chooses whether it activates or not but it activates at the guy you just hit?

Temotei
2010-12-06, 06:35 PM
Is the meteor swarm effect like the full meteor swarm (as in, four spheres, right?) or just one sphere (one meteor)?

Full swarm POWAH!

Also, it says 'at the wielder's choice'. Does that mean that the wielder chooses the target, or just that the wielder chooses whether it activates or not but it activates at the guy you just hit?

If the wielder gets a critical with the lance, they can choose to have the lance erupt. They can also choose to have it not erupt. It's a way to have an option when using the weapon instead of absolutely demolishing a bunch of kobolds versus badly damaging a BBEG or something.

As for the price, I did this: 18,310 for a +1 flaming burst lance. Fairly standard. Add 2,000 for a limited endure elements. Then, 1/10(9*17*2000) for the spell effect (9th-level spell, caster level 17th, 2,000 for use-activated, 1/5 for once per day, 1/2 for "limited use.") Total is 20,310 + 30,600 = 50,910 gp. I subtracted 600 because of endure elements being limited, and then added 2,000 for balance reasons and...just because. :smalltongue:

Convoluted, I know, but I do that for every magic item I make.

Lateral
2010-12-06, 07:47 PM
Okay, but does it shoot all four meteors at the guy you just critted, or do you shoot at targets of your choice?

dgnslyr
2010-12-06, 08:52 PM
For a moment, I thought there would be some Lava-Lamp based punnage involved. A fun weapon, nonetheless.

A bit of a clarification on the Meteor Swarm effect would be nice. It seems that the user can decide whether to activate the Meteor Swarm effect or not, which seems fine, but when it does go off, do you get to decide what or where to aim it at? That would make a bit of difference in creating the most optimal blast.

Anxe
2010-12-07, 01:40 AM
Is the Meteor Swarm damage multiplied by the Lance's crit multiplier?

Temotei
2010-12-07, 08:34 PM
Okay, but does it shoot all four meteors at the guy you just critted, or do you shoot at targets of your choice?

Hmm...I'm not sure, honestly. It would be kind of cool to have it centered on the original target (if the wielder of the lava lance was immune to the effect), but I'm going to make it just like the spell.

That is, better.

Is the Meteor Swarm damage multiplied by the Lance's crit multiplier?

No. Meteor swarm deals enough damage.

Koury
2010-12-08, 05:46 AM
No. Meteor swarm deals enough damage.

Technically there is nothing stopping you from scoring a crit with your Meteor Swarm attack, should you hit them directly, right?

Temotei
2010-12-08, 05:13 PM
Technically there is nothing stopping you from scoring a crit with your Meteor Swarm attack, should you hit them directly, right?

I'm not sure I understand your meaning.

Lateral
2010-12-08, 05:26 PM
I think he means that if, say, you roll a natural 20, get a critical hit, and fire off that Meteor Swarm and then one of the meteors hits someone and gets a natural 20 on the touch attack, is that still a critical hit.

Temotei
2010-12-08, 05:46 PM
I think he means that if, say, you roll a natural 20, get a critical hit, and fire off that Meteor Swarm and then one of the meteors hits someone and gets a natural 20 on the touch attack, is that still a critical hit.

Ah. I'm running on next to no sleep and an empty feeling right now, so I'm a bit off.

The meteor swarm effect is completely separate from the attack itself, though the attack activates the meteor swarm effect. So, if meteor swarm can get a critical hit, it deals damage as such.

Icewalker
2010-12-08, 05:57 PM
Balancewise, seems fine, and it's a quite awesome functional idea. Thing is, while it can be very fun to have a chance of once per day having a single ENORMOUS blast, it's often nicer to be able to have less ridiculous impacts more often. With this, one lucky crit ends a dramatic final battle before it starts, you know?

So, I like it, but a possible alternative would be that it happens whenever you crit, not 1/day, but it only fires one meteor rather than four. (Would probably mean lowering the price slightly, but not much? Not sure.)

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-08, 06:22 PM
I love this item and I plan to steal it!

"The Blackgaurd rides down on you on his nightmare a glowing cracked molten lance in his hand! A single blow explodes in fire and knocks the fighter from his feet! A rumbling sound comes from the lance and he laughs maniacaly, raises it over his head and the deafening explosion blasts you backward and lava is all around him! His horse trots on the charred corpse of the fighter and his gaze turns to the rest of you......"

He needs some serious fire protection items though.

byaku rai
2010-12-08, 07:22 PM
A fighter walks out of a store with this in hand, thinking "dude, sweet!". His DM, being a merciless god, immediately pits the party against a red dragon. The fighter attempts to wet himself, but the heat from the lance evaporates it. Everyone immediately dies.:smallbiggrin:

For real, though, this is a very nice item.:smallsmile: I might just inflict it on my players.

Icewalker
2010-12-08, 07:46 PM
Be very careful giving this to a villain. That makes the luck setup even worse, because it means either it never goes off and what was the point, or it means one unlucky roll and you have one or more dead PCs, who are rather appalled by the abruptness of it, without any way they could've predicted it or defended against it.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-08, 08:25 PM
Perhaps a 3 round rumble before the blast? And with this kind of item i would never make him without crit enhancers.

dgnslyr
2010-12-08, 09:44 PM
Maybe you get 4 rounds to discharge it as a swift(free? standard?) action any time after a crit. When you have a Meteor Swarm stored, the lance glows brilliant red, trembling with burning power, a clear indication that it contains a great power.

Temotei
2010-12-08, 10:24 PM
Balancewise, seems fine, and it's a quite awesome functional idea. Thing is, while it can be very fun to have a chance of once per day having a single ENORMOUS blast, it's often nicer to be able to have less ridiculous impacts more often. With this, one lucky crit ends a dramatic final battle before it starts, you know?

So, I like it, but a possible alternative would be that it happens whenever you crit, not 1/day, but it only fires one meteor rather than four. (Would probably mean lowering the price slightly, but not much? Not sure.)

Hmm...maybe. Or maybe I could allow for options. You get four meteors per day, unleashed on criticals, and you can choose how many to unleash at a time when you do get a critical...

Maybe you get 4 rounds to discharge it as a swift(free? standard?) action any time after a crit. When you have a Meteor Swarm stored, the lance glows brilliant red, trembling with burning power, a clear indication that it contains a great power.

...and the lava lance seems to shake and prepare to erupt before the wielder chooses to UNLEASH THE FURY!...should they so choose.

Be very careful giving this to a villain.

This is a good plan. Don't completely annihilate the whole party because it would be sweet. :smalltongue:

I raised the price slightly to go with the new option. Is that alright, do you think, or would it be better to leave it at 52,310 gp/26,310 gp, 2,080 XP?

Icewalker
2010-12-09, 12:08 AM
I'd say if you can choose how many to loose then that would raise the price significantly. Because it lets you have enormous burst damage, or spread it out evenly, depending on circumstances.

Temotei
2010-12-09, 12:28 AM
I'd say if you can choose how many to loose then that would raise the price significantly. Because it lets you have enormous burst damage, or spread it out evenly, depending on circumstances.

Still, the potential for destruction is no higher. At the highest, I think it would warrant a 5,000 gp increase. Comments?

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-10, 01:17 PM
I think 5000 gp would be acceptable and it would probably be best to make it 1 meteor 4/day (same cost really, no need to recauculate). Then you won't TPK and it will give them a chance to retreat and buff up on fire resist and for my villan to switch for his "Lance of the Blizzard"!:belkar:

Temotei
2010-12-10, 02:42 PM
I think 5000 gp would be acceptable and it would probably be best to make it 1 meteor 4/day (same cost really, no need to recauculate). Then you won't TPK and it will give them a chance to retreat and buff up on fire resist and for my villan to switch for his "Lance of the Blizzard"!:belkar:

I'm not convinced that it would be a good change. If I did that, I might as well make it a fireball effect. It would be far cheaper--that's for sure. It would only be a 20-foot radius affected, but it would do more damage.

I'm going to go in search of a lava-/magma-based spell.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-10, 03:39 PM
Rock to lava? its in PHB2.

Temotei
2010-12-10, 04:19 PM
Rock to lava? its in PHB2.

Mmm...that's the only one I found.

Maybe I'll just limit it to four meteors per day, two maximum per critical hit. Done. I've lowered the price accordingly, as the potential for destruction has been vastly lowered. How's the price look?

Also, WeLoveFireballs, you should cut down on your signature space (There's a twelve-line maximum rule.). I recommend putting those quotes in spoilers.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-12-10, 05:12 PM
Rock to lava doesn't quite fit for a lance but a magma hammer with that would be awesome.
Slam the ground and kill everything. Maybe an artifact if it has that kind of power. It could stop armies and collapse cities.

Temotei
2010-12-11, 04:30 PM
Rock to lava doesn't quite fit for a lance but a magma hammer with that would be awesome.
Slam the ground and kill everything. Maybe an artifact if it has that kind of power. It could stop armies and collapse cities.

I think I'll make that later. For now, I've made a gauntlet. I'm really not sure on the price, so any feedback on that is especially appreciated.

Lateral
2010-12-12, 10:36 AM
That gauntlet is epic. My next evil PC is TOTALLY going to be a TWF knight pouncer with a Lava Lance and a Volcano Fist plus Demon Armor.

Temotei
2010-12-13, 08:57 PM
Added an action for the gauntlet's eruption and added "Melting Death."