PDA

View Full Version : Bugbolds (3.5e Race, PEACH)

Lateral
2010-12-06, 09:32 PM
Okay, so I just posted on this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9910504#post9910504), which is about whether a hybrid goblin/kobold race should be called 'Koblins' or 'Gobolds'. I came up with the word 'Bugbold' (Bugbear+Kobold) in my post, and I just find it so hilarious that I have to make it myself, even though I suck at homebrewing my own stuff.

I mean, just say it.
'Bugbolds'.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/d/d4/Bugbear_Dark_Alliance.jpg+http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/eo_kobold_med.jpg=WIN

Bugbolds
Medium Humanoid (Goblinoid, Reptilian)
3d8+2 (15 HP)
Speed 30 ft. (6 squares)
Init: +2
AC 17; touch 12; flat-footed 16
(+2 Dex, +4 Natural, +2 leather armor)
BAB +3; Grp +5
Attack Greatclub +4 melee (1d10+1, 20/x2) or Javelin +5 ranged (1d6+2, 20/x2)
Full-Attack Greatclub +6 and Javelin +4
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks-
Special Qualities Darkvision 60 ft, scent
Saves Fort +6 Ref +5 Will +1
Abilities Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 9
Skills TBD
Feats Weapon Focus (Greatclub), Power Attack
Environment As Bugbear or Kobold
Organization Solitary, gang (3-6), or band (11-20 plus 150% noncombatants plus 2 2nd-level sergeants and 1 leader of 2nd-5th level)
Challenge Rating 2
Treasure Standard
Alignment Usually NE
Advancement by Character Class; Favored Class: Rogue
Level Adjustment +1

Bugbolds As Characters
Bugbold characters possess the following racial traits.

+4 Dexterity, +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.
Medium size.
A bugbold’s base land speed is 30 feet.
Racial Hit Dice: A bugbear begins with three levels of humanoid, which provide 3d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +3, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +3, Ref +3, and Will +1.
Racial Skills: A bugbear’s humanoid levels give it skill points equal to 6 × (2 + Int modifier). Its class skills are Climb, Craft (trapmaking), Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, and Spot.
Racial Feats: A bugbear’s humanoid levels give it two feats.
+4 natural armor bonus.
+4 racial bonus on Move Silently checks.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent.
Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic, Goblin. Bonus Languages: Elven, Giant, Gnoll, Orc, Undercommon.
Favored Class: Rogue.
Level adjustment +1.
Well?

Edit: Okay, description. Picture a bugbear. A standard bugbear. Now, give it orange scales, with thick brown hair coming out between and covering the scales so that you can just see them. Now, elongate the jaw a bit- not into a reptilian snout, but just a bit longer. Enlarge its eyes, give it a slightly thinner build, and add three ridges with small spikes going up the back, coming together and cresting at the brainstem. Now, switch the morningstar for a greatclub, give the whole thing a dark tan leather jerkin, and you're done.

Siosilvar
2010-12-06, 09:41 PM
There's... nothing to comment on. Okay, you have a relatively bland (but decently effective) 3HD monster.

AugustNights
2010-12-07, 10:19 AM
Bugbears are tactical combatants, if I recall correctly, capable of putting together complicated battle strategies beyond the capabilities of normal Goblinoids.

Kobolds are expert trappers, and if you believe certain individuals *cough Tucker's Kobolds cough* Kobolds are tactical geniuses who can use their numbers and size to amazing advantage.

What happens when you mix the two?
A better mouse-trap says I.
I'm certain you can come up with some Bugboldian items, and Special Qualities or Attacks that can combine Strategical Genius and Trapmastery.

Morph Bark
2010-12-07, 12:27 PM
I'm certain you can come up with some Bugboldian items, and Special Qualities or Attacks that can combine Strategical Genius and Trapmastery.

The last time my players encountered Kobolds, they carried around instant-traps that they just had to thrown down or against a wall to make it stick and then wait for someone to trigger them. Such things might fit Bugbolds in this manner much better even.

AugustNights
2010-12-07, 01:15 PM
The last time my players encountered Kobolds, they carried around instant-traps that they just had to thrown down or against a wall to make it stick and then wait for someone to trigger them. Such things might fit Bugbolds in this manner much better even.

Like an alchemical Quick Trap (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118348)? Or a magical one? That gives me... evil ideas.

Satyrus
2010-12-08, 12:36 PM
While I'm not sure I want to think of the implications of such a race :smalleek: I have a soft spot for both kobolds and bugbears.

Any chance of getting a Bugbolds as characters section in the post?

Lateral
2010-12-08, 02:46 PM
Yeah, I get that this is kinda bland, but come on. Bugbolds. Never gets old.

Yeah, I can give it a character section.

Icewalker
2010-12-08, 06:26 PM
I like it. Simple, but fine. I'm a little unsure of whether it should be LA +2 instead of +1, but with 3 RHD it should be fine.

But, you haven't answered the most important question. What do they look like?

LOTRfan
2010-12-08, 07:30 PM
Also, it says in the monster entry that its favored class is Fighter, while in the monster entry it is Rogue. Do you get to choose which one at character creation, or is it a mistake? :smallconfused:

Lateral
2010-12-08, 09:11 PM
Fail. No, it's s'posed to be rogue.

If I could find a good picture of Bugbolds, you can bet I'd have them up there, but I'm a terrible artist and I have no skill at photoshop. Unless someone is willing to draw one, this is the best I've got.

Icewalker
2010-12-09, 12:11 AM
Describe it! Gotta be able to write descriptions. :smallbiggrin: