PDA

View Full Version : [Exalted] Akuma Native Charms

Xefas
2010-12-07, 04:36 AM
In the vein of Ink Monkeys vol 9: Unleash Your Inner Monster Part IV, here are some Akuma Native Charms. I started with a few Terrestrial ones, but I'm slowly expanding...

General Akuma
The following charms are Native to any kind of Akuma, and are treated as general charms for their primary Exalt type (if they have one).

Omniscient Yozi Excellence
Cost: -; Mins: Essence 2; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Native
Duration: Permanent
Prerequisite Charms: Any First [Yozi] Excellency

The excellence peddled by the pathetic Incarnae or the Elemental Dragons is secondhand dreck compared to the awesome might of the Primordials, fallen though they are.

An Akuma that learns this charm is treated as if they had the First, Second, and Third [Ability] Excellencies in each of their Caste and Favored abilities purely for the purposes of qualifying for the prerequisites to learn other charms. They do not actually know those Excellencies and can not activate them.

When an Akuma learns this charm, he loses all First, Second, and Third [Ability] Excellencies that he possesses, which are converted into experience.

A second purchase of this charm at Essence 3+ extends its benefits to all abilities, even if they are not Caste or Favored.

Terrestrial Akuma
The following charms are Native to Terrestrial Akuma, and are treated as Terrestrial Charms of the corresponding ability.

Air Aspect Abilities

Demon-Skin Simar
Cost: -; Mins: Occult 6, Essence 6; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Native, Obvious
Prerequisite Charms: Mantle of Elemental Fusion, Demonic Primacy of Essence

This charm permanently modifies Mantle of Elemental Fusion such that the Terrestrial may target and fuse with demons just as he fuses with elementals. However, demons of the second or third circle must be willing participants and may automatically reject any intimacies thrust upon them from the Terrestrial.

While fused with a demon, the Terrestrial adopts markings and physical traits associated with the demon, allowing an (Intelligence + Occult) roll with a difficult of (demon's obscurity rating) to determine the exact kind of demon he is fused with. In addition, he automatically gains the Aura of Power mutation if he did not already have it, turning his anima banner the hellish green of Malfeas.

Furthermore, a Terrestrial fused with a demon lowers the attunement cost of any Hellforged Wonders in his possession by 2 (if he is bound to a first circle demon), 4 (for a second circle), or 6 (for a third circle). This may not reduce their cost below 0 motes.

Fire Aspect Abilities

Burning Comet Method
Cost: -; Mins: Athletics 4, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Native, Velocity, Obvious
Prerequisite Charms: Bellows-Pumping Stride, Death-Dealing Journey

As the Terrestrial streaks across the battlefield, the Silent Wind stokes the flames of his treasonous heart as a bellows on a forge. While he maintains maximum dashing speed, his flesh cracks and releases a nimbus of flames that wreath his entire body. Flammable material that he touches is instantly ignited but, more importantly, the cost of activating Falling Star Maneuver is lowered by 1m as well. If Bellows-Pumping Stride is currently active, the cost is reduced by an additional 1m (minimum 0m). An attack modified by Falling Star Maneuver while the Terrestrial maintains maximum dashing speed automatically deals lethal damage if it would normally deal bashing.

Ruinous Meteor Evasion
Cost: 5m; Mins: Dodge 5, Essence 3; Type: Reflexive (Step 9)
Keywords: Combo-OK, Native, Obvious, Counterattack
Duration: Instant
Prerequisite Charms: Hopping Firecracker Evasion, Green Sun Nimbus Flare

As his assailant's weapon speeds towards him, the Terrestrial does not dodge. Rather, he sees more delectable prey elsewhere and disengages his currently boring combat at an opportune moment so that he may sow far more enjoyable destruction.

This charm may only be activated after the Terrestrial successfully dodges an attack. Everything within (Essence) yards is subject to a (Willpower + Essence) attack that deals one level of unsoakable lethal damage on a successful hit, which may not be blocked without a stunt or charm, as the Terrestrial explodes in a torrent of scything green flames. If the attack succeeds in dealing damage, the Terrestrial may modify it with Green Sun Nimbus Flare as an innate ability at no additional mote cost. All damage dealt by this exchange is tripled against objects.

Following this eruption, the Terrestrial is rocketed upwards and careens up to (Essence x 10) yards away, but must be propelled at least 10 yards. If they cannot move at least this far, they go as far as possible before colliding with whatever barrier is in the way and falling prone. This movement must bring the Terrestrial closer to an enemy; he may not use it to simply run away.

As the Terrestrial lands, he leaves a burning crater, subjecting those around him to an eruption of flames (and the associated attack) identical to the one produced when he first activates this charm.

Armament of the Emerald Forge
Cost: 3m, 1wp; Mins: Melee 5, Essence 3; Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Native, Elemental, Obvious
Duration: One Scene
Prerequisite Charms: Refining the Inner Blade, Viridian Corona Endowment (x2)

The Terrestrial utters a brief prayer and extends his arm. A shaft of green light descends through a crack in the fabric between worlds, green flames erupt from the Terrestrial's hands, and a demonic artifact is scarred into existence within his grasp. He now wields a tool of destruction constructed by the Green Sun himself.

This armament may take the form of any single artifact weapon, replicating its statistics perfectly (except as stated below), though it has no attunement cost. The weapon may be of any magical material and is already baptized in vitriol. It automatically benefits from any purchases the Terrestrial has of Dragon-Graced Weapon, the Terrestrial may activate Green Sun Nimbus Flare as an innate ability during attacks made by the weapon, it deals aggravated damage to anything that is not a Creature of Darkness, and has Rate 5.

At the conclusion of this charm, the summoned weapon breaks free of anything holding it, shines with a brilliant green light, and abruptly disappears.

If the Terrestrial knows Dragon Blade Beneficence, they may commit an additional mote for each ally within (Essence x 10) yards (up to a maximum of Melee motes) to outfit them with weapons from Ligier's forge as well. These function exactly as described above, and each weapon granted may be of a different type and composition, but all of them must be baptized with vitriol.

With an additional purchase of this charm at Essence 4+, the Terrestrial may extend the duration of this charm to Indefinite, committing the motes as normal. He may only have one activation of this charm extended at a time. If the Terrestrial knows Dragon Blade Beneficence, the duration of weapons conjured for allies remains as one scene, and conjuring weapons for them still requires a separate activation.

Cataclysmic Confidence Obliteration
Cost: 10m; Mins: Presence 5, Essence 5; Type: Simple
Keywords: Combo-OK, Native, Obvious, Social, Emotion
Duration: (Essence) Actions
Prerequisite Charms: Unbearable Taunt Technique, Mocking Murmurs Retort

Black flames cascade from the Terrestrial's mouth, writhing like snakes, and entwine his body, hissing insults and blasphemous diatribes in faint, barely audible voices. With an illustrative gesture, he proclaims the utter worthlessness of his victim. He has never amounted to anything in his life, he is less than nothing, he is a burden on all of those around him, and his future is to be a pathetic shadow, laying at the feet of those of true importance and begging for their acceptance, which will never come.

The ground around the victim cracks and releases seething wisps of darkness from which serrated chains burst forth, an insult spoken by the Terrestrial inscribed upon each one. The chains dig into the flesh of the unfortunate target, and so long as they remain, he may do naught but believe the words written on them.

This is a perfect, undodgeable social attack that uses (Manipulation + Presence) for its dice pool. If the attack succeeds, the target is doomed to botch every single roll they make for (Essence) actions due to their own lack of self-confidence (this functions even if the target joins battle and actions begin being counted in ticks instead of long ticks - the fury of battle helps to clear the mind). By spending a virtue channel and a point of temporary willpower, they may shirk this effect for one roll.

Mouth-Watering Delicacy Temptation
Cost: -; Mins: Socialize 3, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Native, Compulsion
Prerequisite Charms: Sweeten-the-Tap Method, Locust Mana Plague

Those that lay eyes upon the dead locusts conjured by the Terrestrial's charms have their mouth stricken dry and then begin to water, their stomach rumbles, and they feel as if they have not eaten in weeks even if their belly was just filled moments ago.

Characters that do not already have an Intimacy of reverence towards the Terrestrial, and that have an MDDV less than 1/2(Terrestrial's Manipulation + Socialize + Essence), are subject to unnatural mental influence to eat the locust, which costs two willpower to resist.

A single person may not be subject to this charm more than once per hour.

Abyssal Akuma
The following charms are Native to Abyssal Akuma, and are treated as Abyssal Charms of the corresponding ability.

Oblivion Unleashed
Cost: -; Mins: Occult 3, Essence 3; Type: Permanent
Keywords: Native
Prerequisite Charms: Sorcerous Enlightenment of The Ebon Dragon, Wickedness Beyond Life

The capacity for Necromancy is inevitably purged from all creatures upon their transformation into Akuma, but by Ultimate Darkness Internalization, the Ebon Dragon may cheat those boundaries. However, an Abyssal is so close to the deathly essences of the Underworld that such methods are all the easier for them. They need not torment themselves phasing between life and death because they are already the perfect embodiment of both.

Upon learning this charm, an Abyssal regains their ability to learn the Abyssal version of Labyrinth, Onyx, and Void Circle Necromancy, though they are tainted by the Ebon Dragon and bear the same thematic alterations as the Sorcerous Enlightenment of The Ebon Dragon.

Primal Fury
2010-12-07, 07:28 PM
This... might not be good design space. Infernal Monster Style has the charms you mentioned because it's weird like that; it was specifically designed to be used by the corrupted servants of the Yozi. This is essentially giving every other Exalt access to their own Heretical charms, which takes away the uniqueness of such charms from the GSPs.

Also... Omniscient Yozi Excellence... What is it supposed to do?

Xefas
2010-12-07, 08:07 PM
This... might not be good design space. Infernal Monster Style has the charms you mentioned because it's weird like that; it was specifically designed to be used by the corrupted servants of the Yozi. This is essentially giving every other Exalt access to their own Heretical charms, which takes away the uniqueness of such charms from the GSPs.

I disagree. This isn't giving every other Exalt access to their own Heretical charms, firstly because a Heretical charm is one that mixes the concepts of two Yozi, which this does not, and secondly because it only functions for Akuma, which are Infernals - a single Exalt type.

Personally, I don't think Akuma are interesting enough right now, and they're not likely to ever get more official support, as they're mostly built for being NPCs. So, homebrew to the rescue.

Also... Omniscient Yozi Excellence... What is it supposed to do?

It's to fix scenarios like this:

I'm a Terrestrial Akuma. I've just shelled out five charms on First Malfeas Excellency, and maybe another on Second Malfeas Excellency. These are what I'm planning on using to modify my actions because that's awesome and thematic - I'm a servant of Malfeas, I'm doing Malfean things to gain power.

The problem is that, maybe I want some dodge charms. Well, crap, I gotta also buy a dodge excellency as a prerequisite for those dodge charms, even though I don't need that dodge excellency because I'm just going to be using my Malfeas Excellency. Hell, I don't even *want* other Excellencies, because I want to be defined by my Malfeas Excellency - by relying on other excellencies, I'm diluting the theme I want to express.

So, I pick up Omniscient Yozi Excellence and I can grab whatever charms I need that have a prerequisite of "Any Ability Excellency" or "Any Dodge Excellency" or "Any Two Lore Excellencies" or whatever, without having to waste my time with actually buying charms I'm never going to want or use.

Primal Fury
2010-12-07, 08:28 PM
I disagree. This isn't giving every other Exalt access to their own Heretical charms, firstly because a Heretical charm is one that mixes the concepts of two Yozi, which this does not, and secondly because it only functions for Akuma, which are Infernals - a single Exalt type.
I... guess I see where your coming from. It seems fine, so long as it doesn't change the power level of their native charms too much.

It's to fix scenarios like this:
So it's basically an XP hak. Okay, I can get behind that. Though I'm not quite sure about it removing all of their excellencies. It seems fine if you obviate the need to buy more than you have, but eliminating them altogether might be a bit extreme. At your core, you're still a Exalt of whatever type, so you should still be able to exercise your Exalted power, even within the grip of the Yozi.

And Abyssals can't become Akuma (not by canon anyway). The death-aspected essence does not mesh well at all with the still living Yozi.

Xefas
2010-12-07, 08:47 PM
So it's basically an XP hak. Okay, I can get behind that. Though I'm not quite sure about it removing all of their excellencies. It seems fine if you obviate the need to buy more than you have, but eliminating them altogether might be a bit extreme. At your core, you're still a Exalt of whatever type, so you should still be able to exercise your Exalted power, even within the grip of the Yozi.

Well, considering that there are extremely few Infernal charms that require you to know a Yozi Excellency, I figure buying the First Yozi Excellency is mostly for flavor anyway. You're choosing to incorporate more of your patron than the average Akuma, and forsaking a bit more of your Exaltation in the process. You don't have to do it that way. It's not better, mechanically, I don't think, either way. This charm is just to make that sort of character a bit more viable.

Given a bit more explanation, what do you think now? (I'm considering putting a little "Designer's Notes" field under everything I homebrew from now on to make my intentions a bit clearer and later discussion easier.)

And Abyssals can't become Akuma (not by canon anyway). The death-aspected essence does not mesh well at all with the still living Yozi.

I was worried about that. I'd heard that Abyssals and Alchemicals couldn't become Akuma, but as I scoured the Manual: Infernals, I didn't find anything about Abyssals, and even found a line specifically implying that Alchemical Akuma can happen (which floods my brain with campaign ideas just thinking about it).

Anyway, do you have a citation about Abyssal Akuma? It's kind of important to me, as I've already made mention of possible Abyssal Akuma in the game that I'm running, and this would help me decide whether it's just rumors or if it is, in fact, truth.

gkathellar
2010-12-07, 09:01 PM

Akuma are not Green Sun Princes. While Akuma have access to some Infernal charms, they are not actual Infernals.

Personally, I don't think Akuma are interesting enough right now, and they're not likely to ever get more official support, as they're mostly built for being NPCs. So, homebrew to the rescue.

I suppose it's your design choice to make Akuma something other than the shattered remnants of people stupid enough to sell their souls but ... that's sort of their point. Becoming an Akuma is The Wrong Decision.*

*Unless you have some kind of way to flip the whole process on the Yozi's head. But in that case, you're not an Akuma, you're someone who stole power from a Yozi.

EDIT:

I was worried about that. I'd heard that Abyssals and Alchemicals couldn't become Akuma, but as I scoured the Manual: Infernals, I didn't find anything about Abyssals, and even found a line specifically implying that Alchemical Akuma can happen (which floods my brain with campaign ideas just thinking about it).

Anyway, do you have a citation about Abyssal Akuma? It's kind of important to me, as I've already made mention of possible Abyssal Akuma in the game that I'm running, and this would help me decide whether it's just rumors or if it is, in fact, truth.

I can't recall a citation for this, but I do remember reading it. The idea being that one Primordial can't really enslave another Primordial's favorite. There's just not enough room in that town (human) for the both of them.

Xefas
2010-12-07, 09:06 PM
While Akuma have access to some Infernal charms, they are not actual Infernals.

Here is the exact definition verbatim from page 15 of the Manual of Exalted Power: Infernals.

"Infernal Exalt: A term that encompasses both the Green Sun Princes and the Exalted akuma. Basically, any Exalt who serves the Yozis and is reshaped body and soul to better do so."

Yes, Akuma are actual Infernals. They're exactly as much Infernals as the Green Sun Princes are.

gkathellar
2010-12-07, 09:19 PM
Fair enough. I was operating under a false impression.

Xefas
2010-12-07, 09:29 PM
Fair enough. I was operating under a false impression.

Whoops, I didn't see your edit. Well, while I understand reasons why Abyssals might not be able to become Akuma, I'd really like an official (or at least semi-official, like one of the developers stating it so on the White Wolf forums) reference on the matter.

In the game I'm running, the Reclamation is cranking into full swing, and in true Ebon Dragon fashion, the moment the Infernal Host gained a leg up on the Underworld's presence in Creation, he broke the truce the Yozi had with the Neverborn and Akuma-fied an Abyssal or two that were helping him out.

When the Neverborn questioned him about it, he just made this gesture until they left:http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad91/bluejanus/Negascott_win.gif

That's the rumor, anyway. At this point, it may or may not be true (which is why I want to know).

gkathellar
2010-12-07, 09:44 PM
Google-fu: activate! (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=List_of_Infernal_References)

No, looks like it's an entirely diplomatic restriction. Abyssals can technically become Akuma, so long as the Yozis are willing to make eternal enemies of the immortal, unstoppable Neverborn and their Essence 10 ex-Exalted devil ghost minions.

Alchemicals can't, though, as they're Primordial Exalts already.

Xefas
2010-12-07, 09:58 PM
Google-fu: activate! (http://wiki.white-wolf.com/exalted/index.php?title=List_of_Infernal_References)

No, looks like it's an entirely diplomatic restriction. Abyssals can technically become Akuma, so long as the Yozis are willing to make eternal enemies of the immortal, unstoppable Neverborn and their Essence 10 ex-Exalted devil ghost minions.

Alchemicals can't, though, as they're Primordial Exalts already.

I appreciate the link. Both rulings are from First Edition, though, which I guess is better than no ruling at all, and I'll take it as canon until I see something from Second Edition that contradicts it.

There is, however, a Second Edition ruling about Alchemical Akuma, I believe. A quote from the "Forging the Akuma" section of Chapter Two from the Manual of Exalted Power: Infernals, which covers the character creation rules for Akuma (specifically, page 54):

"In the case of a Lunar or Alchemical Exalt, the character must still have the minimum Attributes to meet the prerequisites for any Charms that have an Attribute minimum."

This seems to imply that an Alchemical Akuma is indeed possible, which would be a change from First Edition.

The Rose Dragon
2010-12-07, 10:04 PM
The Alchemical book says that Abyssal and Alchemical Exalted can't be made akuma. Page 233, for those wondering.

Xefas
2010-12-07, 10:08 PM
The Alchemical book says that Abyssal and Alchemical Exalted can't be made akuma. Page 233, for those wondering.

Ah, well, I guess that solves it. It's the most recent source. Which is sad, because I had a lot of Abyssal<->Ebon Dragon charm ideas.

aetherialDawn
2010-12-15, 03:40 PM
Now, just because it's against the rules doesn't meant to Ebon Dragon can't do it! He can't get Abyssal Akuma because they don't mesh with his living Essence. Fine.

The Ebon Dragon has a charm that turns him into a creature of death. If you want it - and it could be very cool - then that might resolve the essence difference enough for an Abyssal Akuma - who might have some interesting side-effects around the time the Ebon Dragon turns back. I'm thinking insanity, a fractured Urge, all kinds of nasty stuff that makes them still useful - but makes the Ebon Dragon think twice about trying it again.

I can totally see him stealing an Abyssal if he can get away with it... And given that the Neverborn know almost nothing about Malfeas compared to what they want to, I can even see them allowing it and, since it's the Ebon Dragon, getting next to nothing for giving him his new toy that can learn more Necromancy than anything else in Malfeas. Please keep in mind that this Abyssal is now capable of using Void Circle and Adamant Circle. At the same time, even. I recommend that you chop off one of them - or even both. The Yozis have enough magical backup if they desire it, and having access to the second circles of Necromancy and Sorcery is already pretty sweet for an Akuma.

I am afraid, looking at the alchemicals book, that Alchemicals really can't be made into Akuma by the Yozis, as far as I can tell - but it does not close one very awesome loophole, which is that a Green Sun Prince does not turn into a Yozi, he turns into a Primordial 2.0. A living, whole Primordial. He'll need high Essence to get the charm that allows his third-circle souls to use the investiture, but it can be done. Bonus points if he learns the appropriate Ebon Dragon charms and has an Abyssal Akuma and an Alchemical Akuma at the same time.

Xefas
2010-12-15, 03:50 PM
Meh, the more I think about it, most of these seemed either like an excuse for me to try making Terrestrial Charms at the Celestial level, or something that should just be an Infernal Charm anyway that an Akuma could pick up regardless.

I still think Abyssal Akuma would be cool (I had several Occult charm concepts ready to play off their Adamant+Void spellcasting), but whatever. I'm sure the folks at White Wolf knew what they were doing. ...heh

aetherialDawn
2010-12-15, 04:42 PM
Well, Akuma native charms does seem out-of-place overall, comparing them to Green Sun Princes.

But Abyssal Akuma are still interesting (even if nobody but the Ebon Dragon is likely to try it.)

Primal Fury
2010-12-15, 06:13 PM
The Ebon Dragon has a charm that turns him into a creature of death.

Investiture of Infernal Glory is a spirit charm, not a Yozi charm.