PDA

View Full Version : Demons Redux (PF)

Amiel
2010-12-07, 08:36 AM
Demon Subtype: Possessed of a limitless capacity for destruction, demons embody and incite indiscriminate, unending violence and passionate vice. Arising from the very matter of the Abyss itself, they spread across creation like a fecund and weeping sore.
Demons possess a particular suite of traits (unless otherwise noted in a creature's entry) as summarised here:
* Summon (Sp) Demons share the ability to summon others of their kind, typically another of their type or a small number of less powerful demons.
Demons are loathe to expend this power, preferring to ravage and soil upon their enemy.
* Telepathy 100 ft.
* A demon's natural weapons, as well as any weapon it wields, is treated as chaotic and evil for the purpose of resolving damage reduction.
* Rage (Ex) Demons debase in excessive hatred and conflict. As noted in a creature's entry, this innate rage manifests itself a number of times per day as the demon loses itself to a corrupted madness.
* Ravaged (Ex) Warped and twisted by the Abyss, and inhabiting an infinity of layers, demons differ in their spiritual make up and immunities and resistances.
Typically, most demons possess:
* Immunity to electricity and poison.
* Resistance to acid 10, cold 10, and fire 10.
Some demons possess innate class abilities, usually to the balance of their hit dice.
* Demons do not need to breathe, eat or sleep.

Babau
Demon, Greater
Medium Outsider (Chaotic, Demon, Extraplanar, Evil)
Hit Dice: 11d10+55 (115 hp)
Initiative: +9
Speed: 30 ft.
Armor Class: 23 (+5 Dex, +8 natural), touch 15, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +11/+16
Attack: Claw +16 melee (1d6+5)
Full Attack: 2 claws +16 melee (1d6+5) and bite +16 melee (1d6+5)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Enfeebling gaze, sneak attack +6d6, spell-like abilities, summon demon
Special Qualities: Corrosive slime, damage reduction 10/cold iron or good, darkvision 60 ft., immunity to electricity and poison, rage, resistance to acid 10, cold 10, fire 10, spell resistance 22, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +14, Will +6
Abilities: Str 21, Dex 21, Con 20, Int 17, Wis 13, Cha 16
Skills: Acrobatics +15, Climb +12, Disable Device +19, Escape Artist +16, Intimidate +19, Knowledge (planes) +16, Perception +22, Sense Motive +21, Sleight of Hand +21, Stealth +22
Feats: Combat Reflexes, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Skill Focus (Stealth)
Environment: The Abyss
Organization: Solitary, pair, or gang (3–8)
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil

Corrosive Slime (Su) A layer of corrosive slime coats a babau's skin. Any creature striking a babau with a natural attack or unarmed strike takes 1d8 points of acid damage if it fails a DC 20 Reflex save. A creature that strikes a babau with a weapon must make a DC 20 Reflex save or the weapon takes 1d8 points of acid damage. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

Enfeebling Gaze (Su) Despair and doom is written within a babau's gaze. Any creature within 30 ft. that meets a babau's glowing, malicious orbs must succeed against a DC 20 Will save or be affected as though by a ray of enfeeblement. The gaze attack can only affect one creature per round. Demons are immune to a babau's enfeebling gaze. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Rage (Ex) A babau can rage for 9 rounds per day. While in a rage, a babau gains a +4 vile bonus to its Strength and Constitution, as well as a +2 vile bonus on Will saves. In addition, it takes a –2 penalty to Armor Class. A babau is not fatigued after a rage.

Spell-Like Abilities At will—darkness, detect good, dispel magic, fear, see invisibility, greater teleport (self plus 50 pounds of objects only), heat metal, silence, telekinesis. Caster level 11th.

Summon (Sp) Once per day a babau can attempt to summon 1 babau with a 40% chance of success. This ability is the equivalent of a 3rd-level spell.

Skills A babau has a +8 profane bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.

The Tygre
2010-12-07, 03:40 PM
Interesting. While I agree with the Ravaged trait (DiceFreaks gave it to the Tanar'ri in Horrors of the Abyss), are you sure about Rage? I mean, off the top of my head, I'm trying to imagine a succubus or a quasit using rage effectively.

Xefas
2010-12-07, 04:28 PM
I mean, off the top of my head, I'm trying to imagine a succubus using rage effectively.

Humpa, humpa, humpa - suddenly - Angry humpa, humpa, humpa!!

AKA - Death by snu-snu

gkathellar
2010-12-07, 05:27 PM
I can see a succubus or incubus* flying into a psychotic rage at being rejected, or at having their appearances marred, or some other petty thing. I mean, they're pretty much living mockeries of beauty and romance, portraying the worst, pettiest most horrible side of it should be no problem.

I can see a quasit flying into a rage at anything weaker than it, or especially against someone stronger than it who is currently helpless or unable to fight back.

*I know incubi are described as being a little more ... criminal ... in their approach, but I don't buy it.

LOTRfan
2010-12-07, 05:29 PM
Interesting project. Can't wait to see more.

I agree with the incubus thing. It seems odd that the males are more criminal about it.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-07, 05:44 PM
It doesn't actually specify in the Subtype what the effects of the rage are, so it would be perfectly within bounds to use different ones.

For instance, i'd expect a Nalfisheen to be using something more like a Spellrage from the Ragecaster, while i'd expect...actually, i'd be more inclined to expect a Babau to enter a Whirling Frenzy or a true Frenzy rather than barbarian rage...

The Incubi thing i've always found odd because the earliest stories have them doing very different things to succubi [both came in via dreams but the incubi beat the snot out of you and choked you in those dreams rather than hanky panky...]

Anyway, nothing to say that their rage couldn't grant a tasty bonus on Grapple and allow them to pin you down and consume that soul in a fit of temper...