PDA

View Full Version : It's like Blackjack. But with DICE.

Creed
2010-12-07, 07:42 PM
So, I didn't know if anyone has ever come up with this before, so I sat down and engineered a brand-new system for playing BlackJack in and RPG, with only dice.
Here it goes.
Comments are appreciated.
It goes for saying that all rules of blackjack apply, this is only about the mechanics for drawing hands.

Deciding Suit
I know this isn't neccessary for Blackjack, but I prefer a touch of realism:

Roll 1d4:
1: Spades
2: Clubs
3: Hearts
4: Diamonds

Deciding Number:
Roll 1d13:
1: Ace
2: 2
3: 3
4: 4
5: 5
6: 6
7: 7
8: 8
9: 9
10: 10
11: Jack (Knave, for roleplaying purposes. It's my understanding that that is the oldie term for a Jack.:smalltongue:)
12: Queen
12: King

Once a card has been rolled, it cannot be rolled again unless multiple decks are used. If the same card is rolled twice, then the player rerolls until he gets a valid card.

On a pen and paper RL game, this is overcomplicated and redundant.
But in a format such as GiTP, any real PbP game, or an email game, this could help.
Hope you guys enjoy!

/Creed

The Antigamer
2010-12-07, 07:54 PM
In a PbP format, why not just roll a d13 to decide card, right now face cards have a lower probability of appearing.

arguskos
2010-12-07, 07:55 PM
My only concerns are as follows:

1. Yeah, for PnP, this is kinda silly. Still, ok then.
2. This is mathematically unsound. See, the issue is that getting a "10" is now 1/10 chances, instead of 4/13. These are different odds than real Blackjack. I'll wait for a mathematician to roll up in here and tell us exactly what the probability effects are, but I think they're not good. This may even change Blackjack into a positive expectation game, though I'm unsure of that. This should be addressed, though I'm unsure how to do so. Just wanted you to be informed of the issue. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Since this is almost certainly aimed at forums, this could just use a d13 instead of a d10. Why doesn't it?

Toothpaste
2010-12-07, 08:16 PM
Ooohhhh.. here i was thinking by blackjack you meant a sap or something knock people out with...

Creed
2010-12-07, 08:17 PM
In a PbP format, why not just roll a d13 to decide card, right now face cards have a lower probability of appearing.

My only concerns are as follows:

1. Yeah, for PnP, this is kinda silly. Still, ok then.
2. This is mathematically unsound. See, the issue is that getting a "10" is now 1/10 chances, instead of 4/13. These are different odds than real Blackjack. I'll wait for a mathematician to roll up in here and tell us exactly what the probability effects are, but I think they're not good. This may even change Blackjack into a positive expectation game, though I'm unsure of that. This should be addressed, though I'm unsure how to do so. Just wanted you to be informed of the issue. :smallsmile:

EDIT: Since this is almost certainly aimed at forums, this could just use a d13 instead of a d10. Why doesn't it?

Ah yes d13.
Sorry for my brain being unmathmatically sound, but I didn't put a whole bunch of effort into this because I was fairly sure the first comment would be a link to something someone else already did that was better. That's usually how things go with my homebrew.
Thanks for the comments, sorry for idiocy, editting.

arguskos
2010-12-07, 08:20 PM
Ah yes d13.
Sorry for my brain being unmathmatically sound, but I didn't put a whole bunch of effort into this because I was fairly sure the first comment would be a link to something someone else already did that was better. That's usually how things go with my homebrew.
Thanks for the comments, sorry for idiocy, editting.
Well, I've not seen a Blackjack conversion for PbP before, though it's not super complex. Blackjack's a simple game after all. Still, this is clean and functional, just what it needs to be. Beyond the die issue, now solved quite well, it's all good.

Though... it's worth noting that this technically allows for a full table to get all Aces or something silly. Perhaps a d50 + a list of all the cards in the deck in order, 1 through 50, would be ideal. That's clunky though, and the chances of everyone getting the same card is slim.

Creed
2010-12-07, 08:23 PM
Well, I've not seen a Blackjack conversion for PbP before, though it's not super complex. Blackjack's a simple game after all. Still, this is clean and functional, just what it needs to be. Beyond the die issue, now solved quite well, it's all good.

Though... it's worth noting that this technically allows for a full table to get all Aces or something silly. Perhaps a d50 + a list of all the cards in the deck in order, 1 through 50, would be ideal. That's clunky though, and the chances of everyone getting the same card is slim.

That's why I included the clause about a card being removed from the list (a.k.a. "burned") after it is rolled. See at the end of the opening post, second to last section.
If this is not what you are talking about, I apologize.

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-07, 08:28 PM

surely this would be a d52, there being 52 cards in a standard deck?

Toothpaste
2010-12-08, 09:43 PM
surely this would be a d52, there being 52 cards in a standard deck?

Most versions of blackjack don't use the jokers.

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-08, 09:48 PM
Most versions of blackjack don't use the jokers. :P

Yes, but with 13 cards per suit and four suits, I think you'll find that adds up to 52 cards without the jokers- it certainly always used to... I didn't include the jokers in my count, because I've never played a card game where they have been relevant...

Toothpaste
2010-12-08, 09:50 PM
WOW im dummmb!