View Full Version : Feathers... Feathers Everywhere... [3.5 Monster]

Admiral Squish
2010-12-08, 04:56 PM
Cucco Swarm
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs12/f/2006/338/7/c/Four_Cucco_Birds_by_SMeadows.jpg
It begins with few...
Tiny Animal
HD: 12d8+12 (66 HP)
Speed: 40 Ft (8 Squares), Fly 60 Ft. (Good)
Init: +7
AC: 17 (+3 Dex, +2 Size, +2 Natural), Touch 15, Flat-footed 14
BAB/Grapple: +9/+1
Attack: Swarm (4d6)
Full-Attack: Swarm (4d6)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./ 0 ft.
Special Attacks: Distraction, Harry
Special Qualities: Low-Light vision, Half damage from slashing and piercing, Swarm Traits, Disperse
Saves: Fort +9 Ref +11 Will +6
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 16, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 6
Skills: Survival +17
Feats: Ability Focus (Harry), Improved Initiative, Track, Dodge, Mobility
Environment: Warm Villages
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 6
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

A nearby chicken crows out suddenly, and at once, you hear a chorus of bucks and clucks, and from all around, several dozen chickens descend upon you, from above and from all sides, talons and beaks ready.

Cuccos are often mistaken for chickens, which they are nearly identical to. However, cucoos differ in that when a chicken is attacked, the other chickens flee. But when a cucco is attacked, the cuccos descend upon the attackers as a single unit, claws flashing. Cuccos can be found in any number of villages. Often, the owners of a cucco don't even recognize the difference until someone mistreats their fowl.

Combat:

A cucco swarm is a relentless enemy. Normally docile, a single call from any one of their number can stir them from their placid state into a murderous frenzy that lasts until the offender is dead or gone. Cucco swarms are known to chase fleeing offenders for days at a time if necessary.

Distraction:
Any living creature that begins its turn with a swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.

Harry:
A cucco swarm attacks with such violence, the targets are thrown to and fro in the cloud of feathers and talons. A creature that takes damage from a cucco swarm's swarm attack must make a DC 18 reflex save or be knocked prone. The save DC is str-based.

Disperse: Cucco swarms are fickle. When not attacking, they rapidly disperse back to where they were when they were summoned by the call of the attacked and act as though nothing happened. It takes a DC 25 knowledge (Nature) check to realize that a cucco is not a perfectly normal chicken. After a cucco crows, the swarm arrives on the following round.

---------------------------------
I don't think I really need to say anything about this one. All I need is a CR for these beasties. Suggestions?

flabort
2010-12-08, 05:49 PM
How many times have I fallen to these demons in disguise? :smalltongue: I couldn't say.

Probably the reason the CR is so hard to decide upon is the Immune to Weapon Damage bit. Even a 20th level fighter couldn't harm one. But... a first level wizard could. :smallannoyed: doesn't mean it could kill the swarm, but he could do what the fighter couldn't. 12 HD is fairly balanced... Harry and Distraction work...
I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to say CR 10 would be right.

This is also proof that Link didn't read the Tome of Battle.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-08, 07:04 PM
Actually, only Fine/Diminutive swarms have immunity to weapon damage. Tiny-sized just take half-damage from piercing and slashing, but not bludgeoning.

I'd give it a CR 6 or so. Certainly not above that.

I really like the Harry ability. Need to introduce that to future swarms...

Why are cuckoos chickens btw? :smallconfused:

Edit: The ability to fly faster and better than a hawk also seems a bit unusual.

Lateral
2010-12-08, 09:20 PM
Ouch. Next you have to make single, deadly Cucoos that transfer bodies with you when you hit them. You know, a la Twilight Princess.

In other news, this is kewl. Same as what VT said, but maybe to fix the hawk thing you could give them a speed of 10 feet (fly 20 feet), but changes to 40/80 when provoked. They're awfully slow, until you attack the buggers.

Admiral Squish
2010-12-08, 10:11 PM
How many times have I fallen to these demons in disguise? :smalltongue: I couldn't say.

Probably the reason the CR is so hard to decide upon is the Immune to Weapon Damage bit. Even a 20th level fighter couldn't harm one. But... a first level wizard could. :smallannoyed: doesn't mean it could kill the swarm, but he could do what the fighter couldn't. 12 HD is fairly balanced... Harry and Distraction work...
I'm probably wrong, but I'm going to say CR 10 would be right.

This is also proof that Link didn't read the Tome of Battle.

My version, however, doesn't lose interest when you enter a house. BE AFRAID. *evil smile*

Link is freakin' impossible to stat with D&D rules. No armor, but he's got a shield and a longsword, plus he's got 'magic power' which is exceedingly vague...

Actually, only Fine/Diminutive swarms have immunity to weapon damage. Tiny-sized just take half-damage from piercing and slashing, but not bludgeoning.

I'd give it a CR 6 or so. Certainly not above that.

I really like the Harry ability. Need to introduce that to future swarms...

Why are cuckoos chickens btw? :smallconfused:

Edit: The ability to fly faster and better than a hawk also seems a bit unusual.

They do? Huh. I shall go fix that.

CR 6 would be good with the half damage from weapons and all.

I'm rather proud of Harry. :smallbiggrin:

Not cuckoos, Cuccos (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Cucco). Different.

Ouch. Next you have to make single, deadly Cucoos that transfer bodies with you when you hit them. You know, a la Twilight Princess.

In other news, this is kewl. Same as what VT said, but maybe to fix the hawk thing you could give them a speed of 10 feet (fly 20 feet), but changes to 40/80 when provoked. They're awfully slow, until you attack the buggers.

Alas, I kinda missed out on twilight princess. Never managed to get my grubby mitts on a Wii.

Well, there's on rule saying you HAVE to move at your speed. They're just chillin' when they're not fleeing from or murdering you. I might tone down the fly speed, though, just notch.

Lateral
2010-12-09, 07:59 AM
Actually, Link's clothes have a chain shirt beneath them in most of the newer games. I'd say Link is probably a Warblade//Factotum, considering his fighting style and how many things he uses to kick ass. In the earlier games, it's probably more like Fighter/Bard tho-- less versatile fighting style, more overt magic powah.

flabort
2010-12-09, 11:03 AM
Well, with the half-damage, it's now possible for even a commoner (of sufficient level) to kill one. But link still can't.
Huh. I've no idea what that makes him anymore.

Fizban
2010-12-09, 10:11 PM
Twilight Princess was also released on Gamecube later, that's what my copy is.

Link is actually easy to stat in a number of different ways, the hardest part is picking what game he's from and how powerful you want him to be.

And of course Link can't kill them, he never can, hence the running away :smallcool: (except he can kill this just fine, could even shield bash for full damage if he wanted to). Cuccos with the knock down from OoT that chase you into houses sound terrifying indeed. I don't know about these body switching things in TP though. Are you talking about the talking things that teleport you out of the dungeon, or did they change the cuccos when I wasn't looking? After learning not to attack them years ago I stopped even looking for them, I could have sworn there weren't any in TP.