PDA

View Full Version : Pseudodragon Savage Progression (PEACH)

LOTRfan
2010-12-08, 11:09 PM
Yeah, so he's my first attempt at creating a Savage Progression for a monster (specifically, the Pseudodragon). Any critiques would be helpful, and appreciated. Anything I should spread out more, for example?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG210.jpg
Pseudodragon Monster Class
{table=head]Hit Dice|Base Attack Bonus|Skills|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1d12|
+1|
(2+INT) x4|
+2|
+2|
+2|Starting Racial Traits, Feat, +1 natural armor

1d12|
+1|
-----|
+2|
+2|
+2|+2 Wis, Sting (1d3 damage), +1 natural armor

1d12|
+1|
-----|
+2|
+2|
+2|+2 Con, Telepathy 40 ft., +1 natural armor, SR 5, Fly 30 ft.

2d12|
+2|
(2+INT)|
+3|
+3|
+3|Blindsense 30 ft, Poison, SR 10, +1 natural armor

2d12|
+2|
-----|
+3|
+3|
+3|SR 19, Blindsense 60 ft., Telepathy 60 ft, Fly 60 ft.[/table]

Starting Racial Traits
• +4 Dex, -4 Str
• Tiny Dragon: As tiny creatures, Pseudodragons get a +2 bonus to armor class and attack rolls, and a +8 bonus to hide checks. Pseudodragons take a -8 penalty on grapple checks. Its lifting and carrying limits are ˝ that of medium creatures. As dragons, they are immune to sleep and paralysis effects.
• Base Speed 15 ft., Fly 15 ft (average)
• Bite Attack (1 damage)
• Bonus Feat: Weapon Finesse
• Telepathy 20 ft.
• Lowlight Vision
• Darkvision 60 ft.
• +4 bonus to Hide checks (+8 in forested areas)

Class Skills
A Pseudodragon’s class skills are Diplomacy (Cha), Hide (Dex), Listen (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), and Survival (Wis).

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A Pseudodragon is proficient with no manufactured weapons or armor.

Natural Armor: At 1st level, a Pseudodragon gains +1 to natural armor. This increases by +1 for each level except for 5th.

Ability Increases: At 2nd level, a Pseudodragon begins to the world in a wider, clearer perspective, gaining +2 to Wisdom. At 3rd level, a Pseudodragon becomes tougher, gaining +2 Constitution.

Sting: At 2nd level, Pseudodragons can use their prehensile tails to perform stinging attacks. This deals 1d3 points of damage. At 4th level, it develops a poison that can be injected via the stinger.

Telepathy (Su): At 3rd level, the range of a pseudodragon’s telepathy increases to 40 ft. It increases to 60 ft. at 5th level. They can use telepathy to talk to any creature that can speak either Common or Sylvan.

Spell Resistance: At 3rd level, a Pseudodragon gains Spell Resistance 5. It increases by 5 at 4th level, and again to 19 at 5th.

Fly Speed: At 3rd level, the Pseudodragon's flight speed doubles, becoming 30 ft. At 6th level, it increases to 60 ft., and maneuverability becomes good.

Blindsense (Ex): At 4th level, a Pseudodragon gains Blindsense 30 ft. It increases to 60 ft. at 5th. This is done by nonvisual means (mostly hearing and scent, but also by noticing vibration and other environmental clues). Opponents the pseudodragon can’t actually see still have total concealment against the pseudodragon.

Poison (Ex): The dragon develops a poison in its stinger at 4th level. Injury, Fortitude save, initial damage sleep for 1 minute, secondary damage sleep for 1d3 hours. The save DC is Constitution-based and includes a +2 racial bonus.

LOTRfan
2010-12-09, 05:29 PM
Made a couple of minor changes. Any comments?

Pyromancer999
2010-12-09, 07:04 PM
Does it really need 5 levels? Otherwise, I like it. Always fun to play a pseudodragon, it is.

LOTRfan
2010-12-09, 07:13 PM
Well, it is listed as LA +3 in Draconomicon, so yeah, sort of. I wanted to make it like the classes in savage species.

Thanks for the complement! :smallsmile:

So, no problems with the ability spacing?

EDIT: I completely forgot about the flight speed :smallsigh:. Added that in. At 1st level, they have flight speed 15 ft. (average), and eventually reaches 60 ft. (good). Is this balanced?

NineThePuma
2010-12-09, 10:27 PM
It looks alright, though I don't know about balance. I'm not the best person to ask about that. I'd organize the abilities according to level, though.

LOTRfan
2010-12-09, 10:47 PM
Where, in the abilities descriptions? For the most part it is according to level, except the flight speed (which was added after the initial class because I stupidly forgot about it. I'll go change that now.