PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an outdoorsy hobby

didub
2010-12-09, 10:39 AM
For strange reasons, I need to burn what will probably be about $250 on something active and outdoorsy. What do you guys suggest?

Cyrion
2010-12-09, 10:51 AM
Does this need to be an ongoing hobby, or a one-time event? Are you going solo or with a group?

I get a lot of mileage out of kayaking (if you'll pardon the pun) and backpacking. These can be expensive if you invest in all of the gear, but they can also be something that can fit your budget through rentals, especially if you're looking for a one-off.

How about juggling? (That's an indoor sport you say? Not so, when you're passing clubs between people or if something's on fire, or both, which I've also done.)

Comet
2010-12-09, 10:52 AM
Airsoft will take you outside and have you running a lot and such. It will also eat your wallet in a flash. Not my thing, but perfect for your needs.

didub
2010-12-09, 11:13 AM
Preferably this will be an ongoing hobby. I'm considering kayaking, since I know a fair number of people that already do it pretty often. I've already got a fairly nice airsoft gun, so that's probably not what I'll be going for.

Thanks for the suggestions so far :)

Haruki-kun
2010-12-09, 11:19 AM
Parkour? A friend of mine really likes it. That would be VERY active, and you might save the $250, unless you need to buy shoes.

drakir_nosslin
2010-12-09, 11:22 AM
Parkour? A friend of mine really likes it. That would be VERY active, and you might save the $250, unless you need to buy shoes.

Exactly what I was going to say. Use the 250 to buy some clothes instead and go with parkour. All you need is... No, not even that. I train mostly barefoot nowadays,.

Crow
2010-12-09, 11:24 AM
I'll [third] parkour, but depending on the shape you're in it might not be the best choice. Spend the money for a good pair of shoes and put the rest into the bank.

Wouldn't recommend training barefoot to start.

Dr.Epic
2010-12-09, 12:24 PM
For strange reasons, I need to burn what will probably be about $250 on something active and outdoorsy. What do you guys suggest?

LARPing? You could get a costume, weapons, and some outdoors stuff for that cost.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-09, 12:30 PM
Love me some parkour and hiking. What's fun is mixing the two. Take off into the woods and you have to go up and over EVERYTHING. Tree, waterfall, cliff, just do it. My sister and I did that together years ago.

I do both barefoot. Or did until I got Plantar fasciitis. Once my physical therapy is done I'll continue :smallsigh:

I'd go either for a compound bow or a kayak. Can paddle around any lake, river, creek, you name it. Awesome fun. Compound bow if you just enjoy that kind of thing.

I've practiced with it, and not a bad shot, but have yet to afford one.

Adlan
2010-12-09, 12:40 PM
I'd go either for a compound bow or a kayak. Can paddle around any lake, river, creek, you name it. Awesome fun. Compound bow if you just enjoy that kind of thing.

I've practiced with it, and not a bad shot, but have yet to afford one.

I was gonna suggest archery, though I'm a Traditional Gear guy, rather than a Compound shooter. Nothing like going out for some stump shooting, and depending on your location, it dosn't get more out doorsy than Bowhunting.

Kayak and canoes are also win.

Winter_Wolf
2010-12-09, 02:04 PM
I'd say hiking. I'd probably invest in a compass and some good shoes if you don't have them already. Maybe a backpack, but honestly I've gone on a lot of hikes with a simple pack that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and it's been fine. Then again I tend to do day trips and mountain hikes instead of say forest trips. Otherwise stay on the river, but that's a different beast altogether where I come from.

Maybe you'd want a machete, hatchet, and good pocket knife too. Chances of using the first two is slight, but better to have and not need, I say. You always need a pocket knife. ALWAYS.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-09, 02:11 PM
Then again I tend to do day trips and mountain hikes instead of say forest trips. Otherwise stay on the river, but that's a different beast altogether where I come from.
Where I come from you don't have much choice between forest/mountain/river hikes :smallwink:

Forest is on the mountains, and there is 'always' running water nearby. Seriously, my parents have but 10 acres. Has two creeks, a spring and a waterfall. Can't hardly move for them.

Winter_Wolf
2010-12-09, 02:44 PM
Where I come from you don't have much choice between forest/mountain/river hikes :smallwink:

Forest is on the mountains, and there is 'always' running water nearby. Seriously, my parents have but 10 acres. Has two creeks, a spring and a waterfall. Can't hardly move for them.

Fair enough. Back in Alaska, there was a pretty definite distinction between "mountain", "forest", and "river". The tree line is pretty low even as far south as Anchorage, so it's entirely possible to be out of the forest in less than two hours from the start of a hike. Even my hometown which technically has only "hills" based on elevation has a tree line that's about half to two thirds up. Likewise my definition of "river" was more along the lines of too wide, too deep, and too swift to cross without a boat or skiff of some sort.

But you know, I'm not picky. Taking a walk out in nature is good pretty much no matter where you go.

Mephibosheth
2010-12-09, 08:51 PM
This isn't perhaps the best suggestion given that you live in Michigan, but I can't recommend rock climbing highly enough, especially if you have friends or acquaintances you could climb with. For $250 you should be able to get a beginners harness/belay device/chalk bag package and a low-end pair of shoes fairly easily, with enough to spare for some safety training and day passes at a climbing gym. Learn the basic safety aspects (knots, belaying, etc.) and meet some other climbers indoors and head out to the crags when you get the chance. Climbers are, in general, very receptive to introducing new people to the sport.

As far as real rock goes, there are a couple of options in the area. The Ledges just west of Lansing is supposed to have some excellent routes. I've also heard of some good spots in the UP. There's more information about Michigan gyms and climbing spots here (http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Michigan/). There are also a number of great climbing spots within a day's drive, especially in Kentucky and New York.

Climbing perhaps requires a bit more initial effort than hiking or parkour, but it's totally worth it. Definitely make sure you get good instruction on the safety aspects of the sport before you head to the crags. If you get into climbing and make your way to central Wisconsin some time, shoot me a PM. I'd be happy to show you around what Wisconsin has to offer.

Mephibosheth

Amiel
2010-12-10, 12:01 AM
Have you considered spotlighting? It's a hobby, it's outdoors and it's educational while being fun.

A couple of the more high-powered torches and batteries will set you back quite a fair bit.

snoopy13a
2010-12-10, 12:13 AM
Running is a very cheap hobby as long as you don't buy the expensive toys (personal GPS, tech shirts/shorts, etc).

An Enemy Spy
2010-12-10, 12:25 AM
First thing is, stop hanging around on internet forums and go do something!

THAC0
2010-12-10, 01:09 AM
Backpacking = best thing in the world

Amiel
2010-12-10, 01:15 AM
First thing is, stop hanging around on internet forums and go do something!

Alternatively, buy a laptop for $250 and bring it with you on your "trips to the outdoors" :smalltongue:
Engage in active typing.

Demon 997
2010-12-10, 02:24 AM
I'd second rock climbing. You'd probably want some instruction to start, and the gear would set you pack some. There might not be good rock in you're area though. Some of the best fun in my life has been at Joshua Tree National Park/Monument (not sure which). If only I could get some friends to play hide and seek or tag with down there.

Rock climbing would probably also involve some hiking, as you usually have to hike to the crag.

Archery could also be quite a bit of fun, through I've never really done it myself.

An Enemy Spy
2010-12-10, 03:03 AM
Alternatively, buy a laptop for $250 and bring it with you on your "trips to the outdoors" :smalltongue:
Engage in active typing.

Laptops are for the weak. If you can't be bothered to carry around a PC, monitor and all the various cords and attachments with you at all times, thaen you have no business owning a computer. :smallwink:

Amiel
2010-12-10, 04:26 AM
And then you find nowhere to plug in the battery :smalltongue: and wonder why all channels feature a nature documentary.

308HTR
2010-12-10, 08:45 AM
I was gonna suggest archery, though I'm a Traditional Gear guy, rather than a Compound shooter. Nothing like going out for some stump shooting, and depending on your location, it dosn't get more out doorsy than Bowhunting.

Kayak and canoes are also win.

while archery is fun...

250 can get you a Mosin-Nagant
a can of ammo
eye+ear protection

This is assuming you can pass a form 4473 and live in a community where such actions are permissible and firearm ownership is within in your personal moral/ethical/political schema.
Simo Häyhä > Robin Hood

xPANCAKEx
2010-12-10, 09:28 AM
climbing - good fitness and a positive community

Liffguard
2010-12-10, 10:05 AM
Climbing
Kayaking/canoeing
Mountain biking
Mountain boarding
Power kiting
Hiking
Running
Paintball
Airsoft
Parkour
Caving
Surfing

Just off the top of my head. There's loads of potential stuff out there.

Elfin
2010-12-10, 10:59 AM
I'm of course pretty biased, but cross-country running is really fun. All you really need are shoes, but those and running clothes can run you $250 if you get the good stuff.

blackfox
2010-12-10, 11:08 AM
I'll second? third? rock climbing. $250 will get you a harness, shoes, chalk bag, and probably a gym membership somewhere. It will also probably get you hooked. :smalltongue:

Erloas
2010-12-10, 12:17 PM
I would suggest looking into the SCA. What $250 will get you would entirely depend on what you want to do and the people doing it in your area.

I find it a lot of fun and there is a very wide range of things you can do, though fighting is the primary really active part (though I know a lot of the behind-the-scenes things at events take a tremendous amount of activity too).

Its also something you can do forever.

Eldan
2010-12-10, 01:40 PM
Use those 250$ to pay your tuition for a semester and start studying field ecology?

smellie_hippie
2010-12-10, 01:49 PM
Just dropping by to say "thanks" for the inspiration. I think I need to dust off my hiking boots and backpack and get outside again very soon. Just reading some of your recommendations has been helpful, and I have been neglectful for far too long.

*makes plans for Christmas vacation hikes*

THAC0
2010-12-10, 02:00 PM
while archery is fun...

250 can get you a Mosin-Nagant
a can of ammo
eye+ear protection

This is assuming you can pass a form 4473 and live in a community where such actions are permissible and firearm ownership is within in your personal moral/ethical/political schema.
Simo Häyhä > Robin Hood

Probably for less than that, actually. I think our Mosin was under $100. Mil-surpuss ammo is dirt cheap too.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-10, 02:15 PM
Probably for less than that, actually. I think our Mosin was under $100. Mil-surpuss ammo is dirt cheap too.

i could never get into mosins, i prefer my Kar98k

on tpic, fishing is always good

Shyftir
2010-12-10, 02:33 PM
You might try geo-caching.

THAC0
2010-12-10, 08:57 PM
i could never get into mosins, i prefer my Kar98k

on tpic, fishing is always good

Oh, I hate'm too. But they're cheap and the Husband collects WWII era guns.

I'll take a shotgun any day.

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-10, 08:58 PM
Oh, I hate'm too. But they're cheap and the Husband collects WWII era guns.

I'll take a shotgun any day.

same. but i prefer slugs

didub
2010-12-11, 09:36 PM
I love all of these ideas! Backpacking, archery, and kayaking are probably the most practical choices, so I'll probably go with one of those.

Do anybody have specific tips for those things in Michigan, like favorite trails/rivers? Edit- or North Carolina, I vacation there several times a year.

Just to clear something up, that money is only to be used for outdoor stuff, so saving money isn't really much of a plus, unless it's enough to also get into another hobby.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-12-11, 10:52 PM
There are some great suggestions here. But if I lived in Michigan and had $250 to spend on (and only on) outdoor equipment ... I'd buy a parka, boots, and a snow blower and call my new hobby: winter trailblazing.

You could make that $250 back in about two hours, I bet. Plus get immediate outdoor exercize. :smallwink:

CynicalAvocado
2010-12-11, 10:58 PM
of course if you're willing to shell out more than $250 then an AK-47 is fun to shoot. kicks like a bitch though

Amiel
2010-12-12, 03:58 AM
Have you considered spotlighting? It's a hobby, it's outdoors and it's educational while being fun.

A couple of the more high-powered torches and batteries will set you back quite a fair bit.

And by spotlighting, I mean nightspotting (none of that hunting business). An activity wherein you trek and hike about through parks, preferably national parks or equivalent, at night with a powerful hand-held or backpack-contained torch looking for all the nocturnal animals that roam about therein.
It's rather enjoyable.