PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Player Background Options

Dakaran
2010-12-10, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to compile an easy list of player background options for myself and some other new D&D players to take a look at. I know that based on your background you can get small bonuses like +2 to a skill check or something. Here's a quick list of some bonuses. Are there some obvious ones that I'm missing right now or some cool ones that I should look at?

Thanks!
Dakaran

#1 - Gain a +2 bonus to checks with a certain skill
#2 - Add a skill to your class’s skills list before you choose what skills to train in
#3 - Choose an additional language that you can speak, read, and write in
#4 - Gain Resist 5 to a certain type of damage

Oracle_Hunter
2010-12-10, 11:51 AM
There are backgrounds that grant an inherent Resist 5? H4x! :smallyuk:

tcrudisi
2010-12-10, 11:56 AM
More like: Resist x damage (Akanul gives resist 2/3/5 to 3 different types of damage).

Also, there is: "use highest score for hit points".

Zaq
2010-12-10, 12:16 PM
Some (my character's is Luruar, I think? Something like that. My group chooses backgrounds strictly for mechanics and makes up our own, more interesting backstories) let you reroll certain skills, though you have to take the second roll.

Mando Knight
2010-12-10, 12:37 PM
Most backgrounds (starting with the ones in PHB2) have the following setup:
+2 to one of two skills, or one of the two skills as a class skill, or one bonus language.
Some give out other minor bonuses instead, such as +1 damage to undead or something.

However, the first two sets of backgrounds, Scales of War and Forgotten Realms, are much more diverse and powerful:
Backgrounds with associated skills gave you both skills as class skills, as well as a +1 bonus to both skills (or a +3 bonus if there's only one associated skill). Others have more varied effects, such as using stats other than CON for HP, letting you multiclass into two classes (useless for Bard, of course), or giving you access to creation rituals even if you don't have Ritual Caster, and one gives you proficiency in a single military weapon of your choice (such as a bow if you're a Paladin who wants a long-range RBA, even if he can't use any of his good stats on it, or if you're a Rogue who wants to take advantage of the Rapier getting moved to Military melee from Superior).