PDA

View Full Version : Fangirl Swarm

Mythestopheles
2010-12-10, 04:56 PM
I'm thinking of making a fangirl swarm for a campaign I'm running, and I'd like to see what ideas the forum has.

A few ideas I have:
- Squee could either be a mind effecting ability, relating to confusion/insanity or perhaps just plain sonic damage (I don't like pure damage though, less interesting)
- Something relating to strength in the face of opposition towards the one they fawn over.
- Perhaps fanfics could be a kind of magic item creation (scroll perhaps?)
- Inspire fear/hatred in some way I'm thinking.

Any other ideas? I'm sure someone has made/thought about this before. Hit me with your ideas people!

Pyromancer999
2010-12-10, 05:11 PM
I'm pretty sure there's a hobo swarm somewhere, you might be able to use that for inspiration.

Here's an idea or two of what the abilities would look like stated up:

Squee:Once per two rounds, the fangirl swarm may unleash a massive squee whose likes have never been heard before. This deals xd6 sonic damage in a cone. Additionally, if those hit by Squee have been hit by Squee before, they have a 15% chance of being affected as though the spell Confusion had been cast on them. Should the subject of this ability already be under such an effect, the effect changes to that of an Insanity spell.

Fanfic: A Fangirl swarm usually has at least a few fanfic writers in it. The fangirls' love of the fanfics written makes these fanfics come to life. This means that the Fangirl Swarm effectively have 1d6 divine scrolls on it when first encountered. Roll 1d4 for each of the scrolls to determine the level of the spells on them. Spells may be selected from the Cleric and Druid Spell list.

The Great One: The Fangirl Swarm exists for a reason: to shower its love upon the object of its affection. At the start of the encounter, the Fangirl Swarm designates one being in the area as its Great One. The Great One is not affected by the Fangirl Swarm's special abilities except for the confusion/insanity effect of Squee. Additionally, the Fangirl swarm must end its turn by moving at least 10 feet towards the Great One.

So, what do you think?

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-10, 05:13 PM
The swarm should be immune to all forms of damage. :smallamused:

(Brownie points if you get the reference. :smallwink:)

gkathellar
2010-12-10, 05:14 PM
Like, regular fangirls? Not, like demon fangirls or fangirls from the Far Realm or elite fangirl assassins or something?

Valameer
2010-12-10, 05:40 PM
I don't think Squee should have a cooldown. It's consistency is one of it's most unsettling effects.

AugustNights
2010-12-10, 05:44 PM
Unless they are Tiny fangirls, you'll probably want to check out the Mob template from the DMG II. And you'll probably want to improve it. But it's basically swarms for Small+ sized creatures.
The only ability I can think that fanpeople should definately have is something like: Cosplay: Functions as Disguise Self spell. Possibly alter self.

Fans... what do fans do... Commandable? Their glorified object can use Command on them at will, so long as it is not used to lose the crowd?

Leader of the Mob? King/Queen Fanperson? You know, the one who has the movies in the original language, and has read all of the fanfics, half of which this person has written themself?

Bonus to Knowledge checks with Glorified Object.

Immune to Fear while in presence of Glorified Object.

Trample?

Pyromancer999
2010-12-10, 06:00 PM
The only ability I can think that fanpeople should definately have is something like: Cosplay: Functions as Disguise Self spell. Possibly alter self.

There are literary fangirls, but for the most part, I think Cosplay could work, but only as Disguise Self. With Alter Self, you'd have to limit it to Monstrous Humanoids, human-shaped aberrations, and/or Outsiders. Otherwise, they could just turn into a cat or something.

Trample?

YES.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-10, 09:45 PM
If you mention Death Note in its presence, then it must succeed a Will save or EXPLODE. :smallamused:

Pyromancer999
2010-12-10, 10:02 PM
If you mention Death Note in its presence, then it must succeed a Will save or EXPLODE. :smallamused:

Oh! That could cause it to explode into its component fangirls! And in order to know about Death Note, the character would have to make a DC 15 Knowledge(Manga) check!

Jarrick
2010-12-10, 10:30 PM
Has anyone thought to ask Astralfire about this? :smallamused:

Serpentine
2010-12-11, 04:28 AM
A Glomp attack is required.

Zeta Kai
2010-12-11, 09:33 AM
A Glomp attack is required.

Wow, I had to look that one up (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGlomp). An appropriate ability, though.

Yora
2010-12-11, 09:38 AM
Glomp must be done as part of a charge and works only on the glorified object. Though I'm unsure what it does.

Debihuman
2010-12-11, 09:45 AM
This whole thread is just too darn funny. The Leader of the Fangirls would be Mary Sue.

Debby

Serpentine
2010-12-11, 10:16 AM
works only on the glorified object.And cosplayers of the object.
And I think it'd have to involve a Trip attack.

Pyromancer999
2010-12-11, 10:43 AM
The Leader of the Fangirls would be Mary Sue.

Debby

Holy Moley, we're all gonna die. (I mean, our characters, but some of us are very attached):smalltongue:

Debihuman
2010-12-11, 11:12 AM
They all have Keen Senses (bonus to Spot and Listen in regards to Glorified Object only).

Debby

Zeta Kai
2010-12-11, 11:24 AM
And cosplayers of the object.

Yeah, grapple + trip + -2 morale penalty sounds about right.

Angry Bob
2010-12-11, 01:13 PM
How exaggerated are we getting here? This (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp11192008.shtml) could work. Add a Frenzy-like(as FB) ability that triggers when someone badmouths the glorified object. Warning about link: It gets... gruesome.

Pyromancer999
2010-12-11, 01:43 PM
How exaggerated are we getting here? This (http://www.somethingpositive.net/sp11192008.shtml) could work. Add a Frenzy-like(as FB) ability that triggers when someone badmouths the glorified object. Warning about link: It gets... gruesome.

What do you think I was thinking of when I made (some of) my suggestions?:smalltongue:

Bhu
2010-12-11, 02:25 PM
omg you soo have to make this

Mythestopheles
2010-12-11, 04:30 PM
Wow, I'm kinda surprised at the number of responses. I'm not terribly skilled at the art of homebrew, but using all the ideas put forth, I think I could work this out. I'm thinking I'll have a mob version (small or larger fangirls) and a swarm version (pixie fangirls for example).

Fangirl Swarm
When someone or something becomes popular, they inevitably attract fans. When these fans group together, they can become a terrible force to behold.

Abilities for all Groups of Fangirls
(All save DCs are equal to [10+1/2 HD of Group + charisma modifier])

Glorified Object: All Fangirl Swarms have an obsession towards someone or something. The target of said obsession is known as a Glorified Object. Such is their devotion to their Glorified Object, that they receive a +2 morale bonus to knowledge, listen, and spot checks relating to their Glorified Object. In addition, the Glorified Object is immune to all the Fangirl Swarm must

Squee: When a Fangirl Swarm is in sight of their Glorified Object, they begin to make loud squealing sounds. Listeners take Xd6 sonic damage and make a fortitude save or be affected as if by a confusion effect for as long as they continue to Squee. A successful saving throw causes immunity to this ability for 24 hours. Objects within the area take double damage.

Fanfiction: No Fangirl Swarm is complete without several Fanfiction writers, these fangirls are known for creating written works of terrifying power. These works are always relating to their Glorified Object. It takes 1 round to read a piece of Fanfiction and have several effects, depeding on the reader. A fangirl swarm typically has 1d6 Fanfics written at any given time.

When a fangirls reads a Fanfic, it functions as a divine spell chosen from the list below
When read by someone who is neither a member of them nor an enemy, the reader must make a will save or become frightened for 5 rounds, or until they immerse themselves in brain bleach or a similar substance. If the reader succeeds on their will save, the effect is lessened to Shaken.
When read by a direct enemy of their Glorified Object, the reader is affected as if by [HD dependent effect]

Not sure how much damage Squee should cause, though I think it should stack with HD.

Also I'd appreciate imput on what spells are available at any given HD for Fanfiction. I'm thinking spells such as Rage, Prayer and the like.

There's my first batch of abilities. Hope they're alright, but I'm sure you guys can find some issues with it, so feel free to let me know of what could be improved.

Pyromancer999
2010-12-11, 08:07 PM
Squee: When a Fangirl Swarm is in sight of their Glorified Object, they begin to make loud squealing sounds. Listeners take Xd6 sonic damage and make a fortitude save or be affected as if by a confusion effect for as long as they continue to Squee. A successful saving throw causes immunity to this ability for 24 hours. Objects within the area take double damage.

It could deal just 1d6 per HD. Minor fan swarms(little more than casual fans of the Glorified Object) could be around 3 HD and Large, then regular ones(just big fans of the Glorified Object), could have 6-7 HD and be Huge, and then a major Fangirl Swarm(you know, the kind of fan who stalks the Glorified Object relentlessly, obsesses over the Glorified Object every moment of the day, buys hair on Ebay because it rumoredly came from the Glorified Object :eek:) could have anywhere from 10-14 HD, be Collossal or something ,and have some kind of a tracking ability, a Detect Glorified Object if you will.

Fanfiction: No Fangirl Swarm is complete without several Fanfiction writers, these fangirls are known for creating written works of terrifying power. These works are always relating to their Glorified Object. It takes 1 round to read a piece of Fanfiction and have several effects, depeding on the reader. A fangirl swarm typically has 1d6 Fanfics written at any given time.

When a fangirls reads a Fanfic, it functions as a divine spell chosen from the list below
When read by someone who is neither a member of them nor an enemy, the reader must make a will save or become frightened for 5 rounds, or until they immerse themselves in brain bleach or a similar substance. If the reader succeeds on their will save, the effect is lessened to Shaken.
When read by a direct enemy of their Glorified Object, the reader is affected as if by [HD dependent effect]

Also I'd appreciate imput on what spells are available at any given HD for Fanfiction. I'm thinking spells such as Rage, Prayer and the like.

There's my first batch of abilities. Hope they're alright, but I'm sure you guys can find some issues with it, so feel free to let me know of what could be improved.[/QUOTE]

Good abilities so far. The spells for Fanfiction seem good so far, and even though it's an arcane spellcasting class, you might want to take a look at the Bard's spell list for some inspiration. After all, telling stories IS sort of their gig. Hope this helps. :smallbiggrin:

Angry Bob
2010-12-11, 11:01 PM
... And now I want to throw a Sephiroth clone at my players with a mob of these as a meat shield.

Debihuman
2010-12-12, 06:50 AM
Should it be a Swarm or a Mob? Mob rules are in DMG II pages 59-61. Would they be known as a Stalk of Fangirls?

Just how dangerous should a mob of fangirls be? Squee could cause 1d6 points of damage for every HD the mob has.

Debby

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-12, 08:08 AM
Should it be a Swarm or a Mob? Mob rules are in DMG II pages 59-61. Would they be known as a Stalk of Fangirls?

Just how dangerous should a mob of fangirls be? Squee could cause 1d6 points of damage for every HD the mob has.

Debby

Is 1d6 per HD dangerous enough? I'd be tempted to increase this to 1d8 or maybe even 2d4

Serpentine
2010-12-12, 08:16 AM
Should it be a Swarm or a Mob? Mob rules are in DMG II pages 59-61.I'm pretty sure that the Mob is just a version of Swarms adapted for larger creatures. Dunno that either term is quite right for this, though...

Coidzor
2010-12-12, 08:39 AM
^: Mob template is the best fit unless they're Tiny or smaller, I believe. Even then if they're humanoid-in-shape, then elements of mob and swarm blended together probably fits those best.

And cosplayers of the object.

Combined grapple, bull-rush, and trip, only activated on a charge with a successful jump check or from at rest with a higher jump check.

Have you taken a look at this effort to improve the mob template (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129179)?

I'm thinking come up with the abilities of the individual fangirl, and maybe add some abilities they only have in the mob, and you're done.

So. Fangirl. Humanoid, Fey, Outsider?

So, food for thought, let's say, a 2 HD fey with a deafening Squee(will save vs. stun, fort save vs. deafen?), Glomp special attack (charing, AoOless grapple with free 5' bull-rush and trip attempts), and the Yaoi* special quality.

*Upon starting round in square shared with fangirl mob, Will Save vs. shaken. Upon starting subsequent rounds regardless of previous Will Save, make a Fort Save vs. sickened. If sickened, roll higher Fort Save vs. Nausea.

Serpentine
2010-12-12, 08:44 AM
Have a look at the Bacchinalia(sp?) I reckon.

Coidzor
2010-12-12, 08:49 AM
Have a look at the Bacchinalia(sp?) I reckon.

There one with stats already or are you just talking for inspiration? Because those maenads (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maenad)probably have INA: Claw rather than a 1/day energy ray.

The ability to make themselves less intelligent and wise in exchange for strength seems appropriate though. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/maenad.htm)

hmm. Now here's a question, would the fangirls meenlock female humanoids they got their hands on? :smallconfused:

Morph Bark
2010-12-12, 09:44 AM
I'm pretty sure that the Mob is just a version of Swarms adapted for larger creatures. Dunno that either term is quite right for this, though...

Mobs are ruled prettymuch as "groups of at least 50 Small, Medium or Large creatures of the humanoid, monstrous humanoid or giant types" if I recall right.

Debihuman
2010-12-12, 10:46 AM
Mobs are ruled prettymuch as "groups of at least 50 Small, Medium or Large creatures of the humanoid, monstrous humanoid or giant types" if I recall right.

Not quite right. All Mobs have 30 HD. A mob is comprised of 48 Small or Medium creatures or 12 Large creatures. See DMG II pg 59.

Debby

Morph Bark
2010-12-12, 11:24 AM
Not quite right. All Mobs have 30 HD. A mob is comprised of 48 Small or Medium creatures or 12 Large creatures. See DMG II pg 59.

Debby

Aha. I was under the assumption the number 50 had been used (though of course not for Large creatures).

Debihuman
2010-12-15, 08:48 AM
So does anyone actually have time, inclination and talent to actually make a Mob of Fangirls?

[Edit] I may try to stat this out. However, since these are fangirls, all their abilities be 10 or 11. Not having to deal with modifiers -- priceless.

Debby

Serpentine
2010-12-15, 09:35 AM
Not a higher Charisma?

Coidzor: No, there's actually a bacchinalia statted out. Not sure where, though.
edit: And now the easiest way for me to check has been sunk with the closure of the Crystal Keep index :smallannoyed:

Eldan
2010-12-15, 09:41 AM
Fiend Folio, I think.

Serpentine
2010-12-15, 09:46 AM
Well done. Yep, Bacchae, page 18 of the Fiend Folio. Apparently they're statted as individuals, though. Could still be good for inspiration.

Debihuman
2010-12-15, 09:59 AM
The Mob Template drops Int, Wis and Cha to 10. I'm fairly sure a mob of fangirls is overwhelmingly average in many respects. BTDT.

Debby

Coidzor
2010-12-15, 10:20 AM
Not a Higherlower Charisma?

Fixed that for ya. :smallwink:

Debihuman
2010-12-15, 10:29 AM
This fangirl mob has Human as its basis. It's not particularly exciting, but it is adequate. The Rules regarding Mobs are found in the Dungeon Master's Guide II. Please become familiar with them before critiquing as they do not follow many traditional monster creation rules.

Mob of Fangirls
Gigantic Humanoid (mob of Medium Humans)
Hit Dice: 30d8
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 6 (-4 size), Touch 6, Flat-footed 6
BAB/Grapple: +22/+34
Attack: Mob 5d6 (bludgeoning)
Full Attack: Mob 5d6 (bludgeoning)
Space/Reach: 20 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Expert Grappler, Glomp, Squee, Trample (2d6)
Special Qualities: Glorified Object, Mob Anatomy
Saves: Fort +10, Reflex +17, Will +12
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 11, Con, 10 Int, 10 Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Disguise (Cosplay only) +2, Knowledge (glorified object) +4, Listen +6 Spot +6
Feats: Alertness, Improved Bullrush (B), Improved Overrun (B), Iron Will
Environment: Science fiction conventions, anime conventions, livejournal
Organization: Solitary, pair or gang (3-12 mobs)
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Fangirls are a rabid breed of human females who are obsessed with either a fictional character or an actor. Similar to the breed of fanboy, fangirls congregate at anime conventions and livejournal. They have been known to glomp, grope, and tackle when encountering said obsessions. In large numbers, they can become dangerous.

Combat

A mob deals 5d6 points of bludgeoning damage to any creature who space it occupies at the end of its move, with no attack roll needed. Mob attacks ignore concealment and cover. In order to attack, it moves into an opponent’s space, which provokes an attack of opportunity. It can occupy the same space as a creature, since it tramples over it and moves around its victim. A mob can move through squares occupied by enemies, and vice versa, without impediment, although a mob provokes an attack of opportunity if it does so. A mob can move through openings large enough for its component creatures. See DMG II for further details.

Expert Grappler (Ex): A mob of fangirls can maintain a grapple without penalty and still make attacks against other targets (normally, attacking other targets while grappling imposes a -20 penalty on grapple checks). A mob of fangirls is never considered flat-footed while grappling.

Glomp (Ex): A mob of fangirls will try to attach itself to the Glorified Object and render it immobile for as long as possible. A recipient of the Glomp is entangled by the mob and moves at half speed, cannot run or charge and takes a -2 penalty on all attack roles and a -4 penalty to Dexterity. An entangled character who attempts to cast a spell must make a Concentration check (DC 15 + the spell’s level) or lose the spell.

Glorified Object (Ex): A mob of fangirls is inordinately attracted to things they collectively deem worthy, regardless of whether it is a person or object. The mob obsesses and covets anything regarding the glorified object. A mob has +2 competence bonus to Knowledge relating to its Glorified Object, and to Listen, and Spot checks.

Mob Anatomy (Ex): A mob of fangirls has no clear front or back and no discernible anatomy, so it is not subject to critical hits or sneak attacks. A mob of fangirls cannot be flanked, tripped, grappled or bull rushed. See additional rules regarding this in DMG II page 60.

Squee (Ex): This ear-piercing shriek of joy that finding the Glorified Object (or its representative) causes. Once per two rounds, the mob of fangirls may unleash a massive squee whose likes have never been heard before. This deals 1d6 points of Sonic damage in a 30-foot cone. Additionally, if those hit by the squee attack have been hit by the squee before, they are affected as though by a confusion spell, causing them to either babble incoherently or flee as quickly as possible for 1 round.

Trample (Ex): A mob of fangirls that simply moves over a creature and doesn’t end with its movement with that creature in one of its occupied squares can trample the creature. A trampled creature takes damage equal to 2d6 points +1½ times the mob’s Strength modifier. The victim can either make an attack of opportunity or make a Reflex save (DC 25 + the mob’s Strength modifier) to take half damage.

Debby

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-15, 11:51 AM
Alternatively, there is a homebrewed variation of the mob template here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129179)

Drakonzeta
2010-12-15, 12:40 PM
This is hilarious. Might I suggest that when an enemy reads a fanfic, they are subject to an effect as Hideous laughter (Caster level=HD of fangirl swarm)

Kurtmuran
2010-12-15, 01:43 PM
a question this mob follows the rules of leader ship or followers ?

Dust
2010-12-15, 04:32 PM
As a supernatural psychic ability, the Fangirl swarm knows your entire history perfectly, down to even the most minute details. Frighteningly, they can probably recite this information better than you could.

Mercenary Pen
2010-12-15, 05:46 PM
As a supernatural psychic ability, the Fangirl swarm knows the Glorified object's entire history perfectly, down to even the most minute details. Frighteningly, they can probably recite this information better than the glorified object could.

This is more likely than yours, because it's always possible that you might not be the glorified object, it might be another member of your party, or it could be someone else and you're just in the way and get trampled.

Debihuman
2010-12-15, 11:38 PM
a question this mob follows the rules of leader ship or followers ?

Neither. It is treated as a single entity (see Mob Template in DMG II).

As a supernatural psychic ability, the Fangirl swarm knows your entire history perfectly, down to even the most minute details. Frighteningly, they can probably recite this information better than you could.

I didn't think that needed to be a supernatural ability. I merely put in the Mob of Fangirl stats as Knowledge (Glorified Object). It makes it a lot easier for the DM to adjudicate.

Debby