PDA

View Full Version : Underdark Races

Milo v3
2010-12-12, 11:55 PM
For my D&D grop I'm making a campaign revolving around the races of the Underdark trying to take back the surface. And I was trying to think of Underdark version of the surface races. I know the obvious one like Duegar and Drow, but I need help with these:
- Kobold (Yes I know they live underground (But they don't like in the Underdark).
- Lizardfolk
- Humans
- Centaurs
- Catfolk
- Sarli
- Gear Actua
- Goblins (See Kobolds)
- Pangoloid
- Warforged
- Alumaril (Two armed Variant is the one cannon for my campaign and the 4-armed doesn't exist)

Note: Some of these are hombrew and can be found on D&D Wiki.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-13, 12:42 AM
- Kobolds, Goblins and Lizardfolk are all found in the Underdark.

- Humans--Vaious books have 'deep humans', such as the Imiaskari(FR Underdark) or the Skulls(Races of Destiny) and Underfolk(Races of Destiny). And Dark ones(Fiend folio)

- Centaurs-Minotaurs? Scorpion folk(MM2)
- Catfolk-Quaggoths(FR Underdark)

-Warforged-artificial life can be created underground..
- Sarli, Gear Actua, Pangoloid-Have no idea what these are...

You can also use Mongrelfolk, or gnolls or orcs.

Milo v3
2010-12-14, 05:58 AM
Firstly "Gamer Girl"
- Kobolds: Yes I know they live underground. But thier is a difference between the Underdark and underground. Are all dwarves underdark races... No only the Duergar are. This is because they live so deep underground that it considered the underdark.

Now to the other races:
- Humans: I have nothing agianst your ideas for Humans, but saddly I don't own any of those........

- Centaurs: I think I'll use the Minotaur idea (Why didn't I like of that?). But no way for the scorpionfolk. They live in the desert and under the sand.

- Catfolk: See humans

- Warforged: Yes I realise but in my campaign they are a lawful good nation of Warforges and are only "forged" by the King, so they can't be the Underdark versions (But how would you know that? So I should've posted notes about my campaign first).

- Sarli, Gear Actua, Pangoloid: Read my initial post again and notice this
Note: Some of these are hombrew and can be found on D&D Wiki.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-14, 02:15 PM
Kobolds-In all cannon Underdarks, kobolds are present. Often as slaves. But if you want a replacement, use Grimlocks(MM).

Underdark humans-just use orcs or hobgoblins?

Catfolk-just don't live underground much. Bugbears(MM) work if you want a 'mammal animal race'.

Warforged-You can't add history? How about an evil twin brother who makes evil warforged in the Underdark? How about the Underforged are created by the deep gnomes? Or created by the Illithids? Or have a rouge warforged who fled underground and started his own race? Or have them be relics of a lost civilization that 'sank' underground?

Tanuki Tales
2010-12-14, 02:27 PM
Warforged-You can't add history? How about an evil twin brother who makes evil warforged in the Underdark? How about the Underforged are created by the deep gnomes? Or created by the Illithids? Or have a rouge warforged who fled underground and started his own race? Or have them be relics of a lost civilization that 'sank' underground?

I'd just like to throw my two copper pieces in and say that I personally like the final suggestion.

That way you can make them any alignment you want and have them act really any way you want and simply say that they're being true to their civilization's concept on alignments rather than the modern ones. (Note this only works explicitly in an Eberron styled campaign since many players can have a hard core belief that the multiverse when ground down to sand can be measured out explicitly based on alignment and that's just the end of it.)

Should this really be in the homebrew section by the way?

Milo v3
2010-12-14, 05:41 PM
Kobolds: For the last time :smallfurious:, in my campaign the Kobolds are considered an underground race. They aren't used as slaves in the Underdark.... They are xenophobic miners of Mountains with dragon decendances. Next!

Grimlock: Maybe for the humans. But they cann't be Kobold equivelent as they are Medium size. Next!

Orc and Gobliniods: Mountain races. Next!

Bugbears: Bugbears are gobliniod races. Next!

Warforged:
- Evil Twin: They don't have twins. They are constructs. And if you mean "forged" on the same do by the same mage and materials, then thier would be thousands of twins. Any way the "King" is the only warforge made fully of pure gold. Thus no twin.

- Created By gnomes: In my campaign gnomes don't use magic they use science instead. Thus no Warforges.

-Made by another race: They can only be crafted by the king in a royal cerimony now. Because of a spell created by Jacob Shadowborn (Count of Boneclaw). Note: Only the King and Jacob knows how to do this ritual. And it is done by them alone. No one else ever see the ritual as is is glamered and has tonnes of illusions over it.

-Rogue Warforged: Read "made by another Race".

-Relics: That is a good idea I might use it but make it a different construct...... Maybe the ancestor to the Warforged (Metaphorically). Maybe the Aegis Hands (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Aegis_Hands_(3.5e_Race)).

Last but not least:
- Sarli (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Sarli_(3.5e_Race))
- Pangoloid (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Pangoloid_(3.5e_Race))
- Alumaril (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Alumaril_(Two-Armed_Variant)_(3.5e_Race))

Iferus
2010-12-14, 05:57 PM
You should be a bit more clear on what you want from us. Do you want us to point you somewhere in the books? Or do you want us to marginally edit some existing race and give it a new name?
Or do you just want the fluff?

Underdark kobolds, deep down (pun intended) are just kobolds.

Milo v3
2010-12-14, 06:35 PM
I was hoping for an existing race in a sourcebook. I have most of the 3.5 books. So really I want something similar to the surface race (Or near-surface for dwarves, gnomes and KOBOLDS) but a different species and not just a subrace.

LOTRfan
2010-12-14, 07:08 PM
Underdark Lizardfolk
Troglodytes are deeply religious xenophobic raiders that live in the slimiest, murkiest underground areas of the Underdark. Tren are a magical crossbreed that are tougher, but less intelligent and not as religious. Forgotten Realms:Serpent Kingdoms

Underdark Goblinoids
The Vrill (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20070504a) are a race of Goblinoids descended from Goblins enslaved by the Drow. Now, they are more bat-like in appearance and can naturally change the consistency of their flesh.

Milo v3
2010-12-14, 09:16 PM
Thanks for the Vrill LOTRfan:smallsmile:. But saddly I do not own a copy of "Serpent Kingdoms".
Note: Is serpent Kingdoms about Yuan-ti and the Creator races?

Pokonic
2010-12-14, 09:53 PM
Note: Is serpent Kingdoms about Yuan-ti and the Creator races?

Yes, most of the fluff is FR only, but it is a good book with some good info on the yuan-ti and others , and has some decent spells to boot.

LOTRfan
2010-12-14, 10:06 PM
No problem. Yes, Serpent Kingdoms is mostly about the Scalykind Creators. I don't particularly like Forgotten Realms, though, so I use what little general fluff there is and roll with it. Monsters are awesome, though. :smallsmile:

Anyways, Troglodytes are in the SRD here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/troglodyte.htm) Tren are basically a crossbreed race between Troglodytes and Lizardfolk who had profane rituals performed on them while in the egg state. For a homebrewed variant, I'd just double the Troglodyte HD, get rid of stench and give it +8 strength. Please note that I do not have Serpent Kingdom with me at the moment, so I can't tell you how quick-homebrew Tren compare to the actual race.

Gamer Girl
2010-12-14, 11:16 PM
I was hoping for an existing race in a sourcebook. I have most of the 3.5 books. So really I want something similar to the surface race (Or near-surface for dwarves, gnomes and KOBOLDS) but a different species and not just a subrace.

Most of the books, except:Underdark, Races of Destiny, Fiend folio, and Serpent Kingdoms?

kobold-Chitines(spider folk), Bainligor(bat folk), Myconids, Pech or Meenlocks.

Humans-Aranea can pass as humans or how about Gargoyles

CatflokKoa-toas or Desmodu or rakshasa

AlumarilGloamings would work for them or you can just use Fey.

PangoloidDerro or magmin or azer

SarliGrigs or wererats or weremoles

Milo v3
2010-12-15, 12:47 AM
Locked In
These are the Ones I have selected so far and thier equivalents:
- Drow (Dark Elf)
- Duergar (Gray Dwarf)
- Svifneblin (Deep Gnome)
- Kenku (Halfling Equivalent)
- Chitines (Kobold Equivalent)
- Troglodytes (Lizardfolk Equivalent)
- Grimlock (Human Equivalent)
- Minotaur (Centaur Equivalent)
- Koa-Toa (Catfolk Equivalent)
- Derro (Pangoloid Equivalent)

Still needed
- Sarli
- Goblins
- Warforged (Might Choose Aegis Hands but would prefer something else)

Gamer Girl
2010-12-15, 11:15 PM
- Sarli--I think the best might be a were race here, unles you want an underdark fey
- Goblins--jermlaine or Gremlins
- Warforged--are a bit unique, but rogue modrons could work as replacements. Or use elemental earth creatures like Xorn or rock-like creatures like Bi-nou(living stalactites)

Milo v3
2010-12-16, 01:55 AM
Sarli
Can't be Werecreatures as they are not a race. Just as vampires are not a race, they are a template. Also if you read the racial traits of the Sarli you would see that if they battled a wererat they would hypnotise it, kill it, & raise its corpse. Also Fey? Why Fey?

Goblin
Aren't gremlins size tiny. If not then I think may be perfect. Except Gremilins aren't really the warrior type.

Warforged
Firstly do you know what book Monodrone stats are in? Secondly why would mechanical beings of Law be warriors for the Underdark? But I think I'll look into rock creatures.
No longer in my campaign setting so its not needed.

Alumaril
Tieflings will do. (I guess. But any other ideas?