PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody considered converting 2e Class Kits to 3.5?

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-12-13, 12:01 AM
Basically as it says in the title. Has anyone considered converting the Kits from 2e into 3.5 ACFs/Alternate Classes? I'm specifically interested in the Gallant and Blade Bard Kits, but the Cavalier Fighter Kit and others would be cool too.

Temotei
2010-12-13, 12:34 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8898668&postcount=4)'s a conversion of buggy downloadable content for Baldur's Gate II--specifically, prestige classes.

You can see the rest of the conversion in the rest of the thread, but that's the most relevant post.

Otherwise, I don't know of any conversions.

arguskos
2010-12-13, 12:39 AM
Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8898668&postcount=4)'s a conversion of buggy downloadable content for Baldur's Gate II--specifically, prestige classes.

You can see the rest of the conversion in the rest of the thread, but that's the most relevant post.

Otherwise, I don't know of any conversions.
Wow, someone actually reposted that failure of a project. :smalleek:

Also, yeah, I don't know any either. I've thought of doing it before, but it's time intensive and I've got other, better, stuff to do. Most kits can be duplicated by the library of 3.5 material anyways.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-12-13, 01:26 PM
I'll check out the link. I'm sure most kits can be duplicated, but I'm having trouble with the Blade and Gallant. Those are my two favorite kits, and there doesn't seem to be an adequate method of reproducing them using official 3.5 material, as far as I can see.

Maho-Tsukai
2010-12-13, 01:39 PM
While these are not the kits your looking for there is a third party PDF called "Encyclopedia Arcana: Necromancy, Beyond the Grave which dose a pretty good job of replicating some of the necromancer build options from the 2e complete necromancer handbook. While it dose not turn any kits into ACFs it dose replicate those special necromanctic powers which the archtypal necromancer kit from the complete necromancer handbook got acssess too as feats. Animation by touch and many of those powers from the complete necromancer handbook show up as new feats selectable only to arcane casters and just like the powers in the complete necromancer handbook these feats come with potentinal negative effects that you can gain from using them. I also have found a pdf(I forget where) thats completely free that converts the wizard spells from the 2e complete necromancer handbook to 3.5e so those spells combind with the spells and feats from the pdf I mentioned earler can give you something very close to a 2e wizard with the archtypal necromancer kit in 3.5e.

So, seeing this, I personally think that instead of making ACFs to replicate kits that homebrewing feats that give you some of the signature powers and abilites of said kits is an easier route. You may not get ALL the abilites of said kit but you will get enough of them to feel like a 2e character with that kit and not have to spend so much time homebrewing. In addition, converting 2e spells to 3.5e is quite easy and alongside "kit" based feats can give a nice 2e feeling to your 3.5e without having to add tons and tons of PrCs and ACFs.

Mulletmanalive
2010-12-13, 03:43 PM
The Gallant can probably be replicated by taking a flaw requiring you to wear bling rather than efficiency and then taking the following two OGL feats:

Dashing and Daring [General]:
You have an impecable sense of style when you fight, making you a magnet for the ladies.
Prerequisites: Dex 13+, Cha 13+, BAB +4
Description: You may opt to fight in a dashing manner. Doing so adds your Cha bonus to your defence as an untyped bonus. You also gain a +2 bonus on Cha based checks against those who have witnessed you fight in this manner and find your combination of sex/gender attractive.

Remain Conscious [General]:
You always have time to comment on the worthiness of your death for love. Perhaps in sonet form.
Prerequisites: Con 11+
Description: You may remain active and stable until you hit a negative number of hit points equal to your constitution score. If taken below this threshold, you remain conscious for one round but are Immobilised [this is often used for last words, or perhaps resurrection instructions].
Note: I've changed this one a bit because it's frankly a lame duck otherwise...

I'm struggling to remember what the Blade could actually do...it wasn't a universal kit, i'm pretty sure of that. Best i can recall is that it was basically just the Invisible Blade but with a Flurry of Knives thing, which can also be had from Swashbuckling Adventures in the form of the Boucher style.