PDA

View Full Version : Wooo! College!

Jallorn
2010-12-15, 04:22 PM
I just learned today that I got into my first choice college. I'm excited.

Assuming we can afford it, I'm going to Earlham next year!

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Anybody on these forums go there?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-12-15, 04:23 PM
Congratulations, Jallorn!

Form
2010-12-15, 05:04 PM
Congratulations indeed! :smallsmile:

Lycan 01
2010-12-15, 05:07 PM
Congrats, man! College is awesome! You're gonna love it! :smallbiggrin:

Comet
2010-12-15, 06:22 PM
You're gonna love it! :smallbiggrin:

You're also going to hate it, every now and then.
There's no free lunch in this world :smalltongue:

Lillith
2010-12-15, 06:34 PM
Congratulations! Good luck with everything!

Dr.Epic
2010-12-15, 06:50 PM
Congratulations!

Sneak
2010-12-15, 07:05 PM
Co(llege)ngratulations, man!

Savannah
2010-12-15, 09:40 PM
Congratulations! What are you planning on studying? You must be younger than I thought....

Perenelle
2010-12-15, 09:42 PM
Hip hip, Hooray! :smallbiggrin:

Congrats :smallsmile:

Jallorn
2010-12-15, 09:51 PM
Congratulations! What are you planning on studying? You must be younger than I thought....

I have no idea.

Savannah
2010-12-15, 10:13 PM
I have no idea.

First year or so of college is good for that :smalltongue:

unosarta
2010-12-15, 10:38 PM
I know several (2 or 3) people who go to Earlham, and it is a great school!

I hope you have an awesome time there.

Demon 997
2010-12-15, 10:44 PM
Congratulation! What kind of school is Earlham?

unosarta
2010-12-15, 10:49 PM

From the people I know who go there, it is a really good language school. In specific, there is a degree that allows you to essentially major in two languages, and then do a comparative study of those languages linguistically as your thesis. It sounds fascinating.

Jallorn
2010-12-15, 10:50 PM

Tiny liberal arts college.

Demon 997
2010-12-15, 11:02 PM
From the people I know who go there, it is a really good language school. In specific, there is a degree that allows you to essentially major in two languages, and then do a comparative study of those languages linguistically as your thesis. It sounds fascinating.

That does sound cool. And a language degree in say Arabic or Chinese is a pretty valuable job skill right now.

Liriel
2010-12-15, 11:17 PM

Ok, I'm running off to research this school RIGHT NOW! *swoons*

Dr.Epic
2010-12-15, 11:35 PM
I have no idea.

You could get a PhD in Epicness.

fimzo
2010-12-15, 11:45 PM
I don't have any idea who you are, but congratulations nonetheless! I can't give you any reliable advice, as I still have years before college, but I'll wish you good luck.

unosarta
2010-12-15, 11:50 PM
Ok, I'm running off to research this school RIGHT NOW! *swoons*
Yeah, the graduate I know (who did Japanese and French, oddly enough) loved it as a college, and she has worked at many others as both a student and a teacher.

Jallorn
2010-12-16, 12:09 AM
I don't know that it has any particular reputation for languages, so much as it has a unique global outlook.

It's a Quaker school, and quite liberal. It's hard for me to articulate a lot of the philosophy since for me (raised a Unitarian Universalist) it's so... common sense-ish. But it definitely has a global eye with a lot of things, and I imagine that that would lead to a better than average language school. It is Liberal Arts, however.

The main reason I want to go there though, is because the people are fricking awesome!:smallcool:

You could get a PhD in Epicness.

That's already a mandatory part of the curriculum.:smallbiggrin:

ForzaFiori
2010-12-16, 12:21 AM
Congratulaions! I can't say I've ever heard of Earlham (I go to Clemson myself), but tiny liberal arts colleges tend to be cool. You'll love and hate college though. Especially your first semester. I just finished mine, and it was... intense. Both the most fun I've ever had and the most miserable I've ever been. Though more good than bad.

Kiren
2010-12-16, 05:58 AM
Congratulations!

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-16, 06:07 AM
I have no idea.

So in (I assume) America, you pick where you're going first, then choose what to study? How odd.

Congrats Jallorn.

Dsurion
2010-12-16, 07:42 AM
So in (I assume) America, you pick where you're going first, then choose what to study? How odd.

That's because diplomas aren't really as valued here as they probably should be, and most of the time, having that piece of paper say you're from a big name school like Harvard is more important than what you actually studied, except in the case of very specialized fields like teaching, medical, law, etc. Almost every single one of my friends went into universities not having any idea what they wanted to do with themselves.

Liriel
2010-12-16, 12:17 PM

Most students do it that way, yup. Some know what they want to study and find the best school for their degree. But generally, school choice comes first. I'd say it is because of the ^ and the insanely high cost of uni. Gotta find some place you can afford that will let you in.

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-16, 12:21 PM
Most students do it that way, yup. Some know what they want to study and find the best school for their degree. But generally, school choice comes first. I'd say it is because of the ^ and the insanely high cost of uni. Gotta find some place you can afford that will let you in.

Oh yeah, no student loans over there. Guess that makes sense.

Worlok
2010-12-16, 12:51 PM
Congratulations, Jallorn - Have fun at college! :smallsmile:

Liriel
2010-12-16, 02:26 PM
Oh yeah, no student loans over there. Guess that makes sense.

We have student loans. But they're expensive (read: high interest rates) and practically impossible to get rid of. (Bankruptcy can get rid of credit card debt, but not student loans.) There's very few ways to lose student loans - mostly through service work, such as teaching in inner city schools (can be dangerous), nursing/doctoring to a needy community (little to no pay), etc. So you have to be very very smart about how much loans you take.

(Note: I am not advocating to not pay back student loans. I have taken them out and expect to pay them back....course, I can't yet....but I do plan on it. I just know it is very difficult with the interest continuing to accumulate as you attempt to pay them off...)

Kobold-Bard
2010-12-16, 02:28 PM
We have student loans. But they're expensive (read: high interest rates) and practically impossible to get rid of. (Bankruptcy can get rid of credit card debt, but not student loans.) There's very few ways to lose student loans - mostly through service work, such as teaching in inner city schools (can be dangerous), nursing/doctoring to a needy community (little to no pay), etc. So you have to be very very smart about how much loans you take.

(Note: I am not advocating to not pay back student loans. I have taken them out and expect to pay them back....course, I can't yet....but I do plan on it. I just know it is very difficult with the interest continuing to accumulate as you attempt to pay them off...)

Ok let me rephrase: no student loans that you won't notice like we have in Britland.

Strawberries
2010-12-16, 06:44 PM
I just learned today that I got into my first choice college. I'm excited.

Assuming we can afford it, I'm going to Earlham next year!

:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

Anybody on these forums go there?

Hey, I didn't notice this thread! Congrats Jallorn! :smallbiggrin:

Rockphed
2010-12-16, 10:23 PM
It's a Quaker school, and quite liberal. ... It is Liberal Arts, however.

Just remember that The Liberal Arts have almost nothing to do with American Liberalism. Well, I don't see how Rhetoric, Logic, Grammar, Astronomy, Geometry, Music and Arithmetic relate to the liberal movement, but then I am neither studying the liberal arts nor am I versed in liberal principles, so it could be something I just don't see. This actually sounds like a fun thing to explore, but I am in the midst of finals right now, so I have not the time.

Good job getting accepted to your school of choice. I don't think I knew I was accepted until the middle of February, which made things...interesting.

As to those wondering at the American method of choosing a school and then choosing a field of study, at the early universities, the first while was spent studying the structure and expression of knowledge(grammar, logic and rhetoric), and resulted in the awardation of a Bachelor of Arts degree. It was only after that that the content of knowledge was studied. Now, early universities started teaching pupils at the ripe age of 14, so we should probably hold 18 year old college freshmen to a higher standard. However, I think if I ramble too much longer, I will end up crossing the line of politics, which I do not want to do.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-12-17, 10:21 AM
Congratulations Jallorn! I hope you have a great time in college.