PDA

View Full Version : Spell Help?

Milo v3
2010-12-16, 03:00 AM
This is my new spell. I was wondering if it was balanced, the mechanic's work, ect.

Naïlo's Repulsion
Enchantment [Fear, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V,S,M
Casting time: 10 minutes
Range: touch
Effect, or Area: One Humaniod
Duration: Permanent (D)
Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

Upon casting this spell you must touch a person and impose this spell upon them (the Target). During casting the caster must select a gender (the Aversion Gender), this is the gender that the spell will effect. Unlike most spells this has no effect on the target except a weak enchantment Aura. If any humanoid of the "Aversion Gender" touches the target in an act of passion, the effect will activate (They will be called the Secondary Target). The effect makes the secondary target instantly feel afraid and feels an Aversion towards continuing the act of passion and further acts of passion. The caster can make themselves immune to the fear and aversion caused by this spell. Note: Despite the name of the spell the secondary subject is not repulsed in any way. Emotionally or physically.

Material Component: Piece of the targets hair.

It is roleplaying spell (In that I can't think of any uses in combat)

AugustNights
2010-12-16, 05:50 AM
Attacking can be considred an act of passion, because it can be done in hot blood.

Milo v3
2010-12-16, 05:14 PM
I used the words "Act of Passion" because of the Succubuses entry in the monster manual:

Drains energy from a mortal it lures into some act of passion

So by passion I mean an act of "Love".

Gamer Girl
2010-12-16, 05:36 PM
Naïlo's Repulsion
Enchantment [Fear, Mind-Affecting]

I'm not sure this should be a 'fear' effect. Repulsion is not 'fear'.

Why so long for such little effect?

Duration: Permanent (D)
Woah, Permanent duration is powerful

Saving Throw: None (harmless)
Spell Resistance: No

Why not? The spell should have a save. Note that the spell is not harmless. After all Charm Person is not 'harmless'. And the spell should have spell resistance, it's a spell that effects people.

The effect makes the secondary target instantly feel afraid and feels an Aversion towards continuing the act of passion and further acts of passion.

Again, I'm not sure 'fear' fits with the 'aversion'. But even if you want to keep fear, set the level of fear, as per the DMG.

Material Component: Piece of the targets hair.

That is a fine component for a normal spell. A permanent spell however is going to need to cost a lot more. Look at the cost for the spells under the spell 'Permanency'.

Milo v3
2010-12-16, 06:19 PM
I will try and address the answers to your statements in the best way I can.

Descriptor

I'm not sure this should be a 'fear' effect. Repulsion is not 'fear'.

This spell specifically states that it doesn't actually repulse it is just the name. And the reason I made it a fear spell is because the Aversion is evoked via fear. Next!

Casting Time

Originally Posted by Milo v3
Why so long for such little effect?

It has a large casting time because of the Permanent duration.Next!

Save

The spell should have a save. Note that the spell is not harmless. After all Charm Person is not 'harmless'
This spell has no combat effects at all. It is completly for roleplay. How in any way is this spell able to directly do any harm?

Spell Resistance

And the spell should have spell resistance, it's a spell that effects people.
Yes it does effect people. But in the PHB it says:
The terms "Object" & "Harmless" mean the same thing for spell resistance as they do for saving throws

Fear

Again, I'm not sure 'fear' fits with the 'aversion'. But even if you want to keep fear, set the level of fear, as per the DMG.

The aversion is created by the fear. The fear is actually so minimal though that they would stop & might not ever do that again. It has no effects other than roleplaying.

Analytica
2010-12-16, 07:04 PM
I think the Secondary Target (but not the first target) should get a Will save, and that it should be considered a fear/mind-affecting effect relative to them, but not relative to the primary target.

Milo v3
2010-12-16, 07:15 PM
I guess I could make it the secondary target has to make a save.:smallfrown:
It should be hard to not get affected by if ask me. Or maybe the save only half negates it (in that it only makes the target want too stop. But not enough fear to make it not want to do it again).

Lateral
2010-12-16, 07:21 PM
Hah! Screw someone's sex life with a 2nd level spell!

Anyway, yeah, it's probably best to give the secondary target some kind of will save. Other than that, though, Gamer Girl is overstating things. This is a perfectly decent RP spell. Helps Vow of Chastity, too.

@V: Yeah, but one that takes 10 minutes for a minor (unless you're using BoEF) RP effect. Seriously, compare that to the insanely rules-vague (read: easily breakable) Bestow Curse spell.

Analytica
2010-12-16, 07:22 PM
It is a second-level mind-affecting fear spell. You could make it something like Will half for the secondary target as you suggest. But in that case, it becomes stronger than most other spells of that level, as it can permanently change what someone wants to do. Of course, it is still dispellable, but can the effect on the secondary target if they failed their save also be dispelled? If not, what spells could be used on them to undo it? Break Enchantment? Remove Curse? Remove Fear? Wish? Fear- or Mind-affecting-immune secondary targets also likely should be unaffected, if you want to stay within what second-level spells typically can accomplish.

Come to think of it, this is kind of like a Bestow Curse effect...

Milo v3
2010-12-16, 09:51 PM
No saddly I don't have BoEF (Yes I know what it is:smallwink:). Next, I think I'll place a will save on the secondary target. The thing is the spell is permanent to the target And has no effect at all to the target the effect on the secondary target is instantaneous And only creates a mild fear effect

Also what will succeeding the will save do to you?

PS. How can this spell not be harmless? Thier no way it can be used to cause damage.