PDA

View Full Version : Headphones/sets

Wandiya
2010-12-16, 11:56 AM
Hey, I've been looking around for a new set of gaming headphones for my computer and was wondering if the playground could help. Durability is a must as last headset broke after a month or so. Preferably closed ear. 3.5 mm jack. Lack of a microphone doesn't worry me, neither does cord length. Looking for a price < $100 Aus. Note, I'm not in a big city, we only have Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi, EB games as stores likely to stock them.

Castaras
2010-12-16, 12:08 PM
If Amazon is available to you. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Plantronics-GameCom-Closed-Gaming-Headset/dp/B001E42QYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292519280&sr=8-1)

Very nice set, used it for about 9 months and is still going strong. Cheap as well.

shiram
2010-12-16, 12:17 PM
One of the most recommended gaming headphones over at headfi.org is the ath-ad700 from audio technica.
It is usually sold for around 100$, but i think AUS$ are worth less than American currency, so they might be out of your range.
But, it is an open design, so sound will leak out, but it affords a bigger soundstage, and allows you spacial recognition of sounds, ie: where the sounds are coming from. It doesnt do 5.1 though, but i heard 5.1 on headphone is usually lacking.
It's also the best sounding headphone i ever had.

Anyways if it doesnt do i recommend heading over to headfi.or and search the forums, there is a ton of information in there.
Good luck.

Tricycle_Knight
2010-12-17, 08:22 AM
If in-ear headphones aren't your thing, then I would say Sanheiser is the best way to go, specifically the 280 Pro (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-Pro-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1292591831&sr=8-4), but lower end Sanheisers will do you a serviceable job as well.

If you can deal with in-ear, I've had these Bose (http://www.amazon.com/Bose--Ear-Headphones-Carrying-Case/dp/B000UVM0ES/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292591990&sr=1-5) earbuds for about a year; I've used them every day at my job to listen to my Mp3 player, and they do an outstanding job. They won't completely drown out sound around you (they do a pretty good job), but I hold that I get better quality from these than I do with my car stereo.

Hope that helps! :smallbiggrin:

Kastanok
2010-12-17, 09:40 AM
I've asked for a set of gaming headphones for Christmas. Something like that Plantronics set would be great - I might have to point people that way if they haven't bought them yet. Or I do still have a £20 Amazon voucher from my birthday...

Anyway, thanks Wandiya for bringing up the subject and thanks Castaras for the recommendation.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-12-17, 09:48 AM
I don't know if they count, but I have a pair of 'Skullcandy' brand earbuds. They've lasted 3 years and are still going strong, and I jog with them, so they go through more than most usually do.

They are very comfortable and clear sounding and practically silent unless I'm playing really friggin' loud music. Even then can only hear it maybe two feet away, tops, and then only as white sound.

Edit: Apparently the company also produces totally ear-covering, large-sized ones to.

shiram
2010-12-17, 10:31 AM
I didnt catch the closed ear part, sorry about that! Usually open headphones allow better sound and larger soundstage which might be important in gaming.

I have the sennheisers hd280 pro headphones, and while they are great studio headphones, they might feel a bit laid-back or blend, as they are studio headphones they dont have a colored sound, I have not used them for gaming though.
Some dislike their comfort too, but the headband can be stretched out some.

The ath-a700 is the closed version of the headphone i recommended in my first post, i have not heard it, but it gets great reviews. They are a bit more expensive though.

Again, you should look at headfi.org its where i learned most of my headphone knowledge.

thubby
2010-12-17, 07:25 PM
gigaware makes a headphone that's pretty solid on all counts, ~50 usd
little on the heavy side, but otherwise perfect.

Dispozition
2010-12-19, 03:54 AM
This. (http://headphones.com.au/)

Pretty much where I compare everything audio related before I buy. Read up on the comments, look at the forums, and order from there since it's essentially the cheapest audio place in Aus (:

I'd advise the Shure headphones since mine is still going strong about 8 months after getting them and abusing them near daily thanks to uni. They're also great for gaming since they block out noise and have a *great* range.

Wandiya
2010-12-19, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the link. Pity I live on the opposite side of the country and can't visit the store. :smallfrown:

Currently tossing up between the ATH AD300'S and the Shure 240's.

Moff Chumley
2010-12-19, 12:59 PM
In general, if the company also makes professional audio gear, like microphones or especially monitors, they'll make good headphones. Audiotechnica, Sennhieser, Shure, are all good. JBL is terrific, but they tend to be pricier. Really, what I'd say, is see which ones you can try on, see what's most comfortable.

Dispozition
2010-12-19, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the link. Pity I live on the opposite side of the country and can't visit the store. :smallfrown:

Currently tossing up between the ATH AD300'S and the Shure 240's.

They have a 21 day try them period, so if they're quite terribad or somesuch you can send them back.

IonDragon
2010-12-19, 07:08 PM
Personally, I love my skullcandys (http://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Hesh-Headphones-S6HECZ-060-Shattered/dp/B003KN2K2K/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292803507&sr=1-4), but for my computer I use wireless (http://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-SPK-9110-900MHz-Wireless-Headphones/dp/B001Q3M2Z6/ref=sr_1_28?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292803543&sr=1-28) headphones. While I do have an iPod, for around the house nothing beats these. Put on Pandora and go do whatever. They have something like 150 ft broadcast range with high signal quality so you could even be a couple houses down without having to worry. Plus my roommate has the same pair. They can be adjusted to different frequencies or tuned to the same one so we can both be listening to the same thing if we want, or different things.