PDA

View Full Version : Let's make a video game!

Maxios
2010-12-16, 07:18 PM
((This OP will update at random))

The game is going to be set in The Nexus, the center of the multiverse, as seen in the FFRP section of these boards. The game is going to be an RPG, possibly using The Hub 0.5 Rules written out by me, and will be done in the style of classic RPGs, like Baldur's Gate. A large section of the game will be set in The Town. Numerous orginizations, such as HALO and LANTERN (Renamed RAP just for this game!), will appear.

Methos H is going to programm the game. Pink-Haired August is going to draw the characters. We are currently in need of more Programemrs & Animators.

Characters that will appear:
Maxios Baxterofski
The Courier
The Mask

The Original Post

I was reading through previous threads, and found a thread with a sole purpose of making a video game.

Anyway, I decided I want to do a similar project, with Playgrounds working together to make a video game. I'll be coming up with a plot and the characters.
Anyone interested?

((Note: When I say make a video game, I am not actually referring to making a video-game you buy in stores. I mean a game, you download))

Worlok
2010-12-16, 07:22 PM
Well, if you provide plot and characters, this is essentially a request for others to help with the actual programming, right? In that case you should probably look into the RPG Maker series, that's a good way to make simple games at about early Gameboy levels of graphics and sophistication for almost no cost.

However, the idea of the community making one is an intriguing one. Depending on how much interest this eventually gets, I'll probably assist. :smallsmile:

Maxios
2010-12-16, 07:25 PM
Well, if you provide plot and characters, this is essentially a request for others to help with the actual programming, right? In that case you should probably look into the RPG Maker series, that's a good way to make simple games at about early Gameboy levels of graphics and sophistication for almost no cost.

However, the idea of the community making one is an intriguing one. Depending on how much interest this eventually gets, I'll probably assist. :smallsmile:

Alright. :smallsmile:
It would be more of a community plot and story, where everyone decides the plot and characters, but I write them out into one big story.

Worlok
2010-12-16, 07:30 PM
Oh, alright, my bad. In that case I reckon we'll have to wait for more interest - I think I'm quite good with characters, but I brutally fail at storytelling most of the time. :smalleek:

Maxios
2010-12-16, 07:34 PM
Oh, alright, my bad. In that case I reckon we'll have to wait for more interest - I think I'm quite good with characters, but I brutally fail at storytelling most of the time. :smalleek:

Okay. If MethosH was still active, he might have been able to do all the coding

super dark33
2010-12-17, 03:26 AM
Charecter, plot and gameplay are things im good at,
i already have a charecter fitting.
if it will be OOTS style art it would be better.

behold! my first 'creation' for a game!

Kevin Eyebane!!!!!

a melee warrior, with a longaxe (like a greataxe, but blades are smaller and the pole is longer, but still the same) he has armor protecting half his body (in combat stence, it guards the front) and an awosome helmet with horns.
his hair is black, skin is fair, and his nemesis is a large beholder.

leakingpen
2010-12-17, 10:01 AM
i could toss in on this, sure. What genre of game we talking about to start?

Maxios
2010-12-17, 11:47 AM
To superdark: Good character idea, and it will be OOTs style

To leakingpen: Either a Nexus-style game (allowing endless replay), a fantasy setting, or a superhero one.

super dark33
2010-12-17, 11:55 AM
We got a charecter, now gameplay:

ROAMING

1.played from bird eye?
2.Side-scrolling?
3.FPS?- hardest to make, but will be good
4.camra is behind and above the charecter?

FIGHTING
turn based RPG or real action RPG?
options inside them are endless

Maxios
2010-12-17, 12:04 PM
We got a charecter, now gameplay:

ROAMING

1.played from bird eye?
2.Side-scrolling?
3.FPS?- hardest to make, but will be good
4.camra is behind and above the charecter?

FIGHTING
turn based RPG or real action RPG?
options inside them are endless

A first-person superhero game would be really interesting, and could work. Bird's Eye could work as well

It would also be Real Time

super dark33
2010-12-17, 12:09 PM
It would also be Real Time

Real time is a must

Maxios
2010-12-17, 12:11 PM
Real time is a must

Indeed it is. If it's Bird's Eye, you should be able to go into 3rd person view every once & a while, like Desperados 2.
If we can't make it go into 3rd person, then we may have to use Turn Based combat (Like Baldur's Gate)

super dark33
2010-12-17, 01:28 PM
now, we need an artist to make the charecter, and later to put joint on its limbs, so the animator will be able to make the hands move more easily

Maxios
2010-12-17, 01:37 PM
Right. I may be able to make a basic drawing of the character using Inkscape, but I don't know if it may be able to use for gameplay purposes.
I think the game should be set in a place similar to the Nexus (or the Nexus itself), and the PC can join various factions, build a party, like Baldur's Gate but with Sniper Cats

Dvandemon
2010-12-17, 01:48 PM
It helps to consider the kind of gameplay you'd like. I've recently tried developing a Puzzle/Side-scroller with RPG elements

super dark33
2010-12-17, 01:55 PM
for main art, ill post our charecter in the avatar requests

Maxios
2010-12-17, 01:55 PM
Dvandemon: That's an interesting concept.

To superdark: Good idea :smallbiggrin:

This is my idea for the game: Bird's Eye View, Role-Playing Game using a modified D20 system, if do-able.
It wouldn't just use D20 classes, it would only have a couple, then have original classes (Because who wouldn't like to play an Orc Jedi? :smallamused:)
Of course, it doesn't have to be a D20 system, any RPG system could probably work

leakingpen
2010-12-17, 04:26 PM
what do we mean by nexus like?

Maxios
2010-12-17, 04:27 PM
What I meant is it could either be set in the Nexus (the hub of the universe and a large FFRP) or it could be set in a location very similar to the Nexus. By making the game in the Nexus, we might be able to get the backing of all the FFRPers, get permission to use actual Nexus characters, etc.
Basically, using the Nexus is like choosing a pre-published D&D setting. It's all there, but you can change it around anyway you like

super dark33
2010-12-17, 04:59 PM
no.. that would be too difficult, its either no choice or little choice.
maybe a litte choice between four ultimate races of orc humen dwarf and elf, but nothing more than that, and think of the copyrights....

Maxios
2010-12-17, 05:06 PM
Good point.
If somebody can contact MethosH, he may be able to program and code the game. There was also somebody in the OOTS Online Game forums who also is a video game designer. With them working on this, the game could come out pretty good, and possibly be able to be in the Nexus due to their pro-game making.

super dark33
2010-12-17, 05:09 PM
maybe we can make the player chose between four charecters.
one is my creation, outer is a magey, a roguey and a clericy

Maxios
2010-12-17, 05:14 PM
maybe we can make the player chose between four charecters.
one is my creation, outer is a magey, a roguey and a clericy

That could work. I think though, that Character Creation should be in the game, or choosing one of the four characters (a la Fallout 2)

super dark33
2010-12-17, 05:21 PM
item and armor customization will be nice,
your weapon and armor dont change throughout the game, so you can get them to look the way you want, you can give them enchantments but no more.

birds eye view RPG is the most typical to the genere, we need somthing innovative!
and te plot, if you chose a charecter instead of makeing, you will get a better plot, but lesser options and freedom.
oh and the party system! you make your charecter, and the fitting roles for a 4 members party will be genarated! (of course the pre-made carecters are one party)

Maxios
2010-12-17, 05:24 PM
item and armor customization will be nice,
your weapon and armor dont change throughout the game, so you can get them to look the way you want, you can give them enchantments but no more.

birds eye view RPG is the most typical to the genere, we need somthing innovative!
and te plot, if you chose a charecter instead of makeing, you will get a better plot, but lesser options and freedom.
oh and the party system! you make your charecter, and the fitting roles for a 4 members party will be genarated! (of course the pre-made carecters are one party)

1. Of course item and armor customization will be in the game!

2. [bird's eye view] You can switch to a third-person view in battle!

3. The plot? It must not be a generic one! It can involve ninjas, intriuge, Dark Knights!

4. A randomly generated party (besides from your character) would be really interesting

super dark33
2010-12-17, 05:32 PM
the nexus world is too copyrighted and involving too many races and classes,
its easy to say that the party will fight kobold ninjas of the demon cat cult, but think that each will need animation,programing and hard work of at least 4hours! now think of combinations of outer races and classes

Maxios
2010-12-17, 05:35 PM
the nexus world is too copyrighted and involving too many races and classes,
its easy to say that the party will fight kobold ninjas of the demon cat cult, but think that each will need animation,programing and hard work of at least 4hours! now think of combinations of outer races and classes

1. By tweaking some names, the Nexus will be do-able, by just doing passing references to existing works, which is allowed

2. ...Good point. But, we may limit the races to a few ones

Anyway, I do see your point

leakingpen
2010-12-17, 05:57 PM
Yes.... I was asking what the Nexus is? :sweet innocent smile:: I get the feeling its a multiple dimension setting?

So, at this time we are set on a medieval campaign?

we want a long, interesting, but not normal plot line?

hmmm, i got one off the top of my head.

The king has gone insane. his advisors know it, the people know it, you know. Hell, the king knows it, but refuses to admit it. He sends you, his trusted adventurers, on a series of "quests" such as picking flowers, walking the dog, cooking him a meal in the volcano by the sea and returning it, ect. WHILE doing that, other things crop up, and also his advisors each have quests for you to do, some contradictory, thus allowing a flow of being more or less liked and helped by different advisors, and creating different storylines. In addition, you are constantly pursuing a cure to the king's madness.

(personally, i like the idea that the king is MAGICALLY mad, and all his advisors are actually magically created shards of his mind, representing different aspects of his personality. but thats open)

Hows that sound?

Maxios
2010-12-17, 05:58 PM
Yes.... I was asking what the Nexus is? :sweet innocent smile:: I get the feeling its a multiple dimension setting?

So, at this time we are set on a medieval campaign?

we want a long, interesting, but not normal plot line?

hmmm, i got one off the top of my head.

The king has gone insane. his advisors know it, the people know it, you know. Hell, the king knows it, but refuses to admit it. He sends you, his trusted adventurers, on a series of "quests" such as picking flowers, walking the dog, cooking him a meal in the volcano by the sea and returning it, ect. WHILE doing that, other things crop up, and also his advisors each have quests for you to do, some contradictory, thus allowing a flow of being more or less liked and helped by different advisors, and creating different storylines. In addition, you are constantly pursuing a cure to the king's madness.

(personally, i like the idea that the king is MAGICALLY mad, and all his advisors are actually magically created shards of his mind, representing different aspects of his personality. but thats open)

Hows that sound?

That sounds good

((And the Nexus is basically the Hub of the Multiverse, making it the most chaotic spot anywhere, where sniper cats eat with brave jedi, etc.))

super dark33
2010-12-17, 06:18 PM
That will be the plot for created charecters, the made up charecter is in search of a giganatic beholder who did somthing to him.that beholder is the right hand of his father who told it to him when he sent him to adoption to a far corner of nexus, to be raised by vikings! it will begin by his childhood, then the crisis with the beholder and then his quests.

(if you need a charecter for the father, im in his role cuz im kevin's 'father')

anybody can feel free to creat made up charecters by yourselves!

Maxios
2010-12-17, 06:20 PM
That will be the plot for created charecters, the made up charecter is in search of a giganatic beholder who did somthing to him.that beholder is the right hand of his father who told it to him when he sent him to adoption to a far corner of nexus, to be raised by vikings! it will begin by his childhood, then the crisis with the beholder and then his quests.

(if you need a charecter for the father, im in his role cuz im kevin's 'father')

anybody can feel free to creat made up charecters by yourselves!

Good idea. I still vote for character creation though, and the plots described are lenghty 'sub-plots' earned by getting certain party members.
I'll have a character concept up soon

But seriously though, great ideas guys :smallsmile:

super dark33
2010-12-17, 06:28 PM
i say both creation and made up! both has advantages and disadventeges

Maxios
2010-12-17, 06:31 PM
i say both creation and made up! both has advantages and disadventeges

Right

Creation:
Pros
Makes players feel more invested in their characters
The game can be more open-ended, something all gamers love

Cons
Will take more programming to come up with every possible sceanario for characters (but as a pro, may end up making the game more enjoyable, giving many possible choices)

Made Up
Pros
Allows multiple plots
Allows few scenarios (also a con)

Cons
Players won't feel as character invested
Players may feel like there's only a couple options to do per situation

super dark33
2010-12-17, 06:37 PM
it will be like oblivion, but the made-ups are more fixatated to the quest,more powerfull then the created and will have a spicey and enjoying plot. unlike the created who can kill whoever they want, and will do quest as they want.

Maxios
2010-12-17, 06:38 PM
it will be like oblivion, but the made-ups are more fixatated to the quest,more powerfull then the created and will have a spicey and enjoying plot. unlike the created who can kill whoever they want, and will do quest as they want.

In my book, anything like Oblivion is good :smallbiggrin:

Also, great idea

Maxios
2010-12-18, 06:39 PM
Stats for a companion, based off one of my PCs in the Nexus

Maxios
Fighter/Rouge Human/Male/Normal/Lawful Good
STR: 12
CON: 20
DEX: 16
INT: 14
WIS: 8
CHA: 13

HP: 27
AC: 16, Reflex 13, Will 11, Foritude 15
Speed: 30 FT a round

Armor: Wears LANTERN Uniform (Treat as a Chain-shirt, but without any penalties)

Weapon: Wields an Energy Sword (treat as regular Long-Sword)

Skills
Knowledge (History) +3
Repair +2
Open Lock +5
Stealth +3
Knowledge (Religon) +3
Knowledge (HALO) +5
Knowledge (LANTERN) +6

Factions
LANTERN (Leader): Idolized
HALO (member): Accepted
WATCHTOWER: Shunned

Must have all his quests done before joining your party
((Also, his Power Ring will be described later))

((I think we should use a Fallout New Vegas style reputation system for Factions))

Kris on a Stick
2010-12-18, 09:41 PM
Except that WATCHTOWER wouldn't be a faction. I refused to give permission for that, remember?

Maxios
2010-12-19, 12:05 AM
Except that WATCHTOWER wouldn't be a faction. I refused to give permission for that, remember?

Sorry, I wrote out the stats before you said that :smallfrown:

leakingpen
2010-12-20, 02:37 AM
i would say open character creation for your prime character, open quests based on skills chosen, or classes, ect, plus the plots from unlocking pregenned characters.

super dark33
2010-12-20, 09:30 AM
pregennd charecters are:

Keving Eyerage

a fighting-type with a longaxe (like a greataxe, but blade is smaller and lighter and pole is longer)

Bast Of iyon

a heavy armor fighting-type with a greatsword and a buckler (he still holds the greatsword in two hands)

Nilia feather-whistle

Elvish ranger type wit bow and sword

Rachel oaksword

Power Caster, thats all

and more yet to come! make your own!

littlekKID
2010-12-20, 11:40 AM
pregennd charecters are:

Keving Eyerage

a fighting-type with a longaxe (like a greataxe, but blade is smaller and lighter and pole is longer)

Bast Of iyon

a heavy armor fighting-type with a greatsword and a buckler (he still holds the greatsword in two hands)

Nilia feather-whistle

Rachel oaksword

Power Caster, thats all

and more yet to come! make your own!

How about...

Malai Goldmoon

an half-elf Mage that specialize in fire-type spells

I hope that's okay :smallsmile:

Maxios
2010-12-20, 12:54 PM
Good character ideas everyone :smallbiggrin:

Grognak
A kobold ninja that specializes in using a katana, and stealthily taking out his foes

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-29, 11:58 AM
I can do the character art and design if you specify enough and give me instructions on what you specifically need.

Maxios
2010-12-29, 12:17 PM
I can do the character art and design if you specify enough and give me instructions on what you specifically need.

Great! The game will be done in the OOts style, just to let you know.

Maxios
Human/Male, has brown hair
LANTERN Uniform, always has an energy sword in his left hand (the energy sword is his primary combat weapon)
Wears black boots

The Mask
Human/Male, has black hair
Wears a red mask that only covers his eyes (Like Robin's, from Batman). Wears a bowler hat, and grey bodysuit. He also wears Boxing Globes (His primary weapon)
Wears grey boots

If you need more info, or have questions, please ask :smallbiggrin:

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-29, 02:12 PM
Great! The game will be done in the OOts style, just to let you know.

Maxios
Human/Male, has brown hair
LANTERN Uniform, always has an energy sword in his left hand (the energy sword is his primary combat weapon)
Wears black boots

The Mask
Human/Male, has black hair
Wears a red mask that only covers his eyes (Like Robin's, from Batman). Wears a bowler hat, and grey bodysuit. He also wears Boxing Globes (His primary weapon)
Wears grey boots

If you need more info, or have questions, please ask :smallbiggrin:

Two Questions only.
Pose - You need it in neutral pose (like my current avatar), something more angry and active but still facing the camera or something giving the sensation of perspective (More than 3/4), this is the part were I need the most descriptive text possible.

Eye/Skin Color: By Default I work with brown eyes and use Caucasian skin.

Maxios
2010-12-29, 02:28 PM
Two Questions only.
Pose - You need it in neutral pose (like my current avatar), something more angry and active but still facing the camera or something giving the sensation of perspective (More than 3/4), this is the part were I need the most descriptive text possible.

Eye/Skin Color: By Default I work with brown eyes and use Caucasian skin.

1. The neutral pose should be standing, hands at the sides. If the character is holding a weapon, it'll be seen, sheathed or holstered (depending on the type of weapon.) The facial expression of this pose should seem well...neutral. When combat begins, the pose will change and so will the facial expression, becoming angrier. Some characters have unique neutral poses, such as Maxios.
Of course, you're the artist, and can change the pose to however you see fit.

2. Alright. I'll let you know if a character has a different eye color and skin type.

From now on, this will be the default template for how a character is described, to make things simpler:

Hair Color
Skin Color
Eye Color
Species & Gender
Clothing and Items
Weapons
Poses
Misc

Maxios' Description

Hair Color: Dark Brown
Skin Color: Caucasian
Eye Color: Brown

Species & Gender: Human Male

Clothing and Items: Wears a green LANTERN uniform. He also has brown boots

Weapons: He has an Energy Sword sheathed. In combat, he'll use this in battle unless given a better weapon

Poses: In his neutral pose, he has a book in his left hand marked "Of Law and, Of Order".
In his combat pose he puts his book away and draws his energy sword (or whichever of his weapons is better).
If he wins a battle, he'll give his team-mates a thumb's up.

Misc: If Maxios is killed, he reappears as a green-tinted ghost

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-29, 02:57 PM
1. The neutral pose should be standing, hands at the sides. If the character is holding a weapon, it'll be seen, sheathed or holstered (depending on the type of weapon.) The facial expression of this pose should seem well...neutral. When combat begins, the pose will change and so will the facial expression, becoming angrier. Some characters have unique neutral poses, such as Maxios.

2. Alright. I'll let you know if a character has a different eye color and skin type.

From now on, this will be the default template for how a character is described, to make things simpler:

Hair Color
Skin Color
Eye Color
Species & Gender
Clothing and Items
Weapons
Poses
Misc

Maxios' Description

Weapons: He has an Energy Sword sheathed. In combat, he'll use this in battle unless given a better weapon

Poses: In his neutral pose, he has a book in his left hand marked "Of Law and, Of Order".
In his combat pose he puts his book away and draws his energy sword (or whichever of his weapons is better).

With Lantern you mean green lantern uniform or other type of LANTERN Uniform of some other source,?

Maxios
2010-12-29, 03:00 PM
With Lantern you mean green lantern uniform or other type of LANTERN Uniform of some other source,?

Sorry about not describing it:

Maxios has a a regular Green Lantern uniform. However, instead of having the traditional Lantern symbol on his chest, he has M written on the chest instead

littlekKID
2010-12-29, 04:23 PM

Hair Color
Skin Color
Eye Color
Species & Gender
Clothing and Items
Weapons
Poses
Misc

Maxios' Description

I'll try to do Malai Goldmoon with it :smallsmile:

Hair Color: red, not "orange", really, really RED
Skin Color: Dark
Eye Color: normal, somethimes glowing yellow
Species & Gender: female half-elf
Clothing and Items: orange and blue robes,
Weapons: none, fight mostly with fire type spells
Poses: combat pose-eyes glowing, victory pose-jumping in the air-doing the V symbol with her hands
Misc-magic Aura: yellow-orange with blue lines

How's that? :smallsmile:

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-29, 04:42 PM
Sorry about not describing it:

Maxios has a a regular Green Lantern uniform. However, instead of having the traditional Lantern symbol on his chest, he has M written on the chest instead

I'll try to do Malai Goldmoon with it :smallsmile:

Hair Color: red, not "orange", really, really RED
Skin Color: Dark
Eye Color: normal, somethimes glowing yellow
Species & Gender: female half-elf
Clothing and Items: orange and blue robes,
Weapons: none, fight mostly with fire type spells
Poses: combat pose-eyes glowing, victory pose-jumping in the air-doing the V symbol with her hands
Misc-magic Aura: yellow-orange with blue lines

How's that? :smallsmile:

I'll have them ready either by tomorrow or by REALLY late today.

Maxios
2010-12-29, 05:03 PM
I'll have them ready either by tomorrow or by REALLY late today.

Great :smallcool:

Also, I have an idea for a city in the game called
"Civilization." Civilization is under leadership by the Coucil of Seven. Civilization is broken up into various district.
A story arc set in Civilization revolves around the mysterious assaasin's/ninja's guild called EON

super dark33
2010-12-30, 07:41 AM
Ok, we ave pre-made charecters,now plot and gameplay.

PLOT

you need to stop a powerfull warmonger warlock/sorcerer (*cough* me *cough*) who acquired a powerfull weapon, which is a very large ballista with many bows pulling the arrow and magic orbs giveing powers to the arrows, and you can get to high ranks in each orginasation in the nexus.
and the reason W.A.T.C.H.T.O.W.E.R wont be there is becuse it was destroyed by the weapon, and becuse it wasnt approved to be on the game.
each charecter can help the plots of the pre-mades plot (like giveing a special orb, or giveing a massage)

GAMEPLAY

first, you DRAW your own charecter, using oots charecter as templete. you draw your weapon, showing where the blade/spike/blunt is, with your cursor you control the weapon, moving it to attack and defend,game will be 2D art, so stick figurs will be practical. you get magic orbs to enchant your weapon.

later we will discuss about plot for the pre-made charecters (all are the sons and daughters of the main villian, who sent letters to them each week, and after they were born, he scatterd them throughout the nexus)

Maxios
2010-12-30, 03:31 PM
Ok, we ave pre-made charecters,now plot and gameplay.

PLOT

you need to stop a powerfull warmonger warlock/sorcerer (*cough* me *cough*) who acquired a powerfull weapon, which is a very large ballista with many bows pulling the arrow and magic orbs giveing powers to the arrows, and you can get to high ranks in each orginasation in the nexus.
and the reason W.A.T.C.H.T.O.W.E.R wont be there is becuse it was destroyed by the weapon, and becuse it wasnt approved to be on the game.
each charecter can help the plots of the pre-mades plot (like giveing a special orb, or giveing a massage)

GAMEPLAY

first, you DRAW your own charecter, using oots charecter as templete. you draw your weapon, showing where the blade/spike/blunt is, with your cursor you control the weapon, moving it to attack and defend,game will be 2D art, so stick figurs will be practical. you get magic orbs to enchant your weapon.

later we will discuss about plot for the pre-made charecters (all are the sons and daughters of the main villian, who sent letters to them each week, and after they were born, he scatterd them throughout the nexus)

I also have a story arc idea (a sidequest one, but still)

A mysterious assasin is targteting members of Civilization's (or Town's, depending on what we decide). After inestigation, the PC discovers that the mysterious guild known as EON (Elite Orginization of Ninjas) is behind the attacks.
I don't know about having to draw your character though, that may take up to much data space that can be used for quests, locations, etc.
I think we should use a character creator system (if the player doesn't choose a pre-made PC) where you can make your character using something similar to the OOTs Online thread.

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-30, 05:20 PM
Okay, I've finally uploaded them.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/MarxioAvatar.png

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/MalaiAvatar.png

I made three poses for the two Characters that were completely developed and explained.
-#1 Upper Left - Neutral Pose
-#2 Lower Left - Combat Pose
-#3 Upper Right - Victory Pose
-#4 Lower Right - Alternative pose for any of the other 3

I'm sorry for the delay, I've actually had everything ready since yesterday.
BUT I'm using free public internet that's REALLY crappy since I'm away from home until Monday, and it refused to even allow me to use it, much less upload stuff.

I have them in a 1200 x 1200 per pose resolution, BUT if I wanted them to get uploaded before the Internet kicked me out I had to scale them down, now they are 120x120 per pose, don't worry, when I get better internet, I will upload them in all of their Hi-Res glory.

Keep posting characters though, sometimes Internet is mercfull with me and loads the boards, in those ocations this is the first thread I update so I will get to read what you post, I won't be able to reply back, but they will get done.

Also, tell me if those are enough poses or if you had a different focus or perspective for any of those.
I suggest having five skintones available for every pre-made character, since the editing for that is EXTREMLY easy and would give more customization to the Pre-Mades.
Also eyecolor and Haircolor alternatives could also be done to the pre-mades.
And a character generator could be designed by using pieces to assemble a character.

And now something that is not quite an FAQ, but a PreFAQ for the time being:

-Can I use any of those as an avatar?
If you are the one who proposed it, I don't see why not, but remember to sig please.

-Can I ask you to modify it since it doesn't suit my idea?
Yes you can, in fact, do so, either here or pming me (less probable to be read for the time being), I will probably post the corrected version in my next update.

-What format is the original?
PNG

-What program/which kind of program do you use?
Fireworks, Vector and Bitmap editing, the Originals are entirely made of Vectors.

Always working, not always able to update, your humble artist - araveugnitsuga.

Maxios
2010-12-30, 05:25 PM
Okay, I've finally uploaded them.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/MarxioAvatar.png

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/MalaiAvatar.png

I made three poses for the two Characters that were completely developed and explained.
-#1 Upper Left - Neutral Pose
-#2 Lower Left - Combat Pose
-#3 Upper Right - Victory Pose
-#4 Lower Right - Alternative pose for any of the other 3

I'm sorry for the delay, I've actually had everything ready since yesterday.
BUT I'm using free public internet that's REALLY crappy since I'm away from home until Monday, and it refused to even allow me to use it, much less upload stuff.

I have them in a 1200 x 1200 per pose resolution, BUT if I wanted them to get uploaded before the Internet kicked me out I had to scale them down, now they are 120x120 per pose, don't worry, when I get better internet, I will upload them in all of their Hi-Res glory.

Keep posting characters though, sometimes Internet is mercfull with me and loads the boards, in those ocations this is the first thread I update so I will get to read what you post, I won't be able to reply back, but they will get done.

Also, tell me if those are enough poses or if you had a different focus or perspective for any of those.
I suggest having five skintones available for every pre-made character, since the editing for that is EXTREMLY easy and would give more customization to the Pre-Mades.
Also eyecolor and Haircolor alternatives could also be done to the pre-mades.
And a character generator could be designed by using pieces to assemble a character.

And now something that is not quite an FAQ, but a PreFAQ for the time being:

-Can I use any of those as an avatar?
If you are the one who proposed it, I don't see why not, but remember to sig please.

-Can I ask you to modify it since it doesn't suit my idea?
Yes you can, in fact, do so, either here or pming me (less probable to be read for the time being), I will probably post the corrected version in my next update.

-What format is the original?
PNG

-What program/which kind of program do you use?
Fireworks, Vector and Bitmap editing, the Originals are entirely made of Vectors.

Always working, not always able to update, your humble artist - araveugnitsuga.

Those are VERY good :smallbiggrin:
But, can you please make a walking pose for the characters?

super dark33
2010-12-30, 05:57 PM
You shoud 'explode*' the picturs, so the animator will be able to animate them

* make parts of arms,legs head and body separated

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-30, 07:43 PM
You shoud 'explode*' the picturs, so the animator will be able to animate them

* make parts of arms,legs head and body separated

I could give the animator the files themselves through megaupload
I do group the extremities

Those are VERY good
But, can you please make a walking pose for the characters?

Of Course.

Maxios
2010-12-30, 07:44 PM
Of Course.

Now we just need to find an Animator, and a Programmer...

leakingpen
2010-12-30, 11:59 PM
I can play with animating.

The art is awesome.

Im not sure what i think of the storyline. I like that its not a super end theworldweapon, but some of the other stuff is a little... hackneyed?

As for the main character, I'd suggest that they not be a kid of the main baddy, but a soldier who has proved their worth to the king in "quiet operations
' before, with a family who is mentioned, and definitely their family, just someone doing their job.

araveugnitsuga
2010-12-31, 01:35 AM
I can play with animating.

The art is awesome.

Im not sure what i think of the storyline. I like that its not a super end theworldweapon, but some of the other stuff is a little... hackneyed?

As for the main character, I'd suggest that they not be a kid of the main baddy, but a soldier who has proved their worth to the king in "quiet operations
' before, with a family who is mentioned, and definitely their family, just someone doing their job.

Great, welcome on board.
Thanks.

Which program will you use, and which format do you prefer for animating.
Also, which system of of file transferall will you want (megaupload, mail, etc.)
And finally, in which state would you prefer me to hand you the art (every independent vectors, extremities grouped, exploded pieces to be assembled, etc.)

One note, I am still working on the walking poses, this may take some time since my laptop has ganged up with the internet in their coordinated attack against me.

Edit: Internet has been merciful to me, and as a new year gift allowed me this (that and a family member with those internet USB thingies).

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/Marxio.png

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/Malai.png

And what super Dark33 posted on the request thread, he actually was the one who made me check out this thread, and for that I thank him. He also guided me in the process to get the result you now see.

http://i581.photobucket.com/albums/ss257/araveugnitsuga/SuperDark.png

super dark33
2010-12-31, 04:47 AM
the art is good, more work for you!

Keving Eyerage

a fighting-type with a longaxe (like a greataxe, but blade is smaller and lighter and pole is longer) you already did that

Bast Of iyon

make heavy heavy armored, with the usual bucket-helmet

Nilia feather-whistle

yknow what to do

Rachel oaksword

Power Caster, thats all
yknow what to do

Maxios
2010-12-31, 12:31 PM
(The Mask and Maxios are NPCs, btw)
The Mask
Hair Color: Brown
Eye Color: Blue
Clothing and Items: He wears a red mask, like Robin. He also wears a black bowler hat, and wears a grey bodysuit, that has a red M on the chest. He also wears Red Boots.
Weapons: He has no weapons (in stats, he's a monk)
Poses: Neutral Pose shows Mask reading a comic book.
Combat pose shows Mask, ready to punch out any and all evil do'ers
The Victory Pose show's Mask taking off his hat, revealing his brown hair

Also, for Maxios:
Can you make a pose of him flying, with a green glow around him (His power ring allows him to fly)
Also, can you make a pose of him shooting lasers out of his hand (another ability of his power ring)

Maxios
2010-12-31, 05:43 PM
Joke idea:
In Trog's, there's a Bard (who looks like a hippie) who's sitting in the corner. Unless you're a bard, the only thing he says is "Dude, I'm in a band".
If you're a bard, you can reply 'Dude, I'm in a band too", to which the Bard replies "That's pimpin', dude," and the conversation ends

leakingpen
2011-01-01, 12:17 AM
By, I can play with the animating, I mean, its something I've been meaning to learn to do for a while anyways, it would be good to have a reason! Lol. so I will get back to you on all those.

Maxios
2011-01-01, 01:20 AM
By, I can play with the animating, I mean, its something I've been meaning to learn to do for a while anyways, it would be good to have a reason! Lol. so I will get back to you on all those.

Great! All we need is a programmer, and someone to make the backgrounds, and we're all set to go :)
Can someone email MethosH?

Also, Cyborg Upgrate ideas:

Clampjaw
By replacing the lower half of your face with a metal jaw, you'll be able to bite foes (+3 to hit, 1d8+1 Damage). 2,500 GP

Detector Eye
By replacing your left eye, you'll be able to see the invisible. 3,000 GP

Perception eye
By replacing your right eye, you'll get a +5 bonus on all Perception checks. 1,000 GP

To get these upgrades, you'll have to find either The Professor or Riv (If Third Emperor gives permission, or a generic mad scientist

ThePhantom
2011-01-01, 01:35 AM
Did I read someone making a video game with the setting being the Nexus? Interesting.

Maxios
2011-01-01, 07:31 PM
Did I read someone making a video game with the setting being the Nexus? Interesting.

Yup, :smallbiggrin:

Also guys, I was planning on telling you later but...

When the game is finished, there's a very small (Read as: 2%) chance that I'll get THQ to publish the game. I have no plans to make this published. I was trying to say is that we could. But I don't want it to be published, though

super dark33
2011-01-07, 02:14 PM
then whats the point of a game if its not published?

Comet
2011-01-07, 04:16 PM
then whats the point of a game if its not published?

Making it an independently produced, free game. Like Maxios mentioned, it could be either downloadable freely or playable as a Flash game on some website. Publishing, in this context, would mean that it would be a commercial game published by an actual company with the intent of making some money out of it.

Making money out of this project should not be among its goals, I think. Just make a good game and share it around on your own. No publisher needed, lots of fun for everyone involved and you'll get a wider audience since no one needs to fork out cash for a product that they can't be sure is worth the money.
A lot of people are making games like that and it's awesome.

leakingpen
2011-01-07, 04:55 PM
ahh, that makes more sense. to me, publishing means making the game available for people to play, in one way or another.

Maxios
2011-01-23, 10:12 PM
By not publishing, I mean I'm not going to sell the game for money. I will make the game free-to-play for all.

Gimliggamer
2011-01-23, 11:54 PM
This sounds intersting......I should totally break out my C+ coding book.
>.>

Ninjaman
2011-01-24, 01:15 AM
Looks cool, i hope you can create it.

Maxios
2011-01-24, 11:03 PM
Looks cool, i hope you can create it.

I started playing Fallout 2 again. I think we should base the "Shop" system off the one in there.

Also, I read the Fallout 2 guide (More specifically, the part about how the game was created.) It gave the three stages of video game creation:

We are in the "Doodling in your Head" stage.

leakingpen
2011-01-25, 09:42 AM
btw, anyone looking to build a video game should watch every video by these guys.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/extra-credits

Maxios
2011-01-29, 10:16 PM
^: Thanks for the link :smallsmile:
Guys, we need someone to design the game's areas. Is anyone interested in doing so?

Maxios
2011-02-01, 11:33 PM
This is what I think the game's opening menu look should like:
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/maxios5/Nexusgamestart1.png

I'll post what I think the Options Menu and Character Screen will look like later :smallbiggrin:

Edit:

Loading Screen 1
http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy59/maxios5/Nexusgameload1.png

araveugnitsuga
2011-02-02, 01:38 AM
For the Title screen I was thinking more of something along the lines of this:

http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee492/araveugnitsuga1/TheNexusTitleScreen.png

Remember, it's a videogame, so it has to fit on a computer screen, the ideal resolution to work with is 1440x900 pxls.

Maxios
2011-02-02, 01:10 PM

Remember, it's a videogame, so it has to fit on a computer screen, the ideal resolution to work with is 1440x900 pxls.

That's proably the coolest Title Screen I've ever seen :smallbiggrin:

I was thinking the game can have various loading screens, so that way the Player doesn't have to always look at the same one

Tengu_temp
2011-02-02, 04:02 PM
I have a question: do you honestly intend to actually make this game, or are you just playing around and having fun with ideas? The advice I want to give you in each case is very different.

Maxios
2011-02-02, 04:06 PM
I have a question: do you honestly intend to actually make this game, or are you just playing around and having fun with ideas? The advice I want to give you in each case is very different.

We're honestly going to make it :smallbiggrin:
Currently, we're coming up with ideas

Tengu_temp
2011-02-02, 04:21 PM
Then there's a long road ahead of you. Road that, don't take it personally, you probably won't finish, because making video games is much harder and time-consuming than it seems.

What you need is a script. This script must describe, in enough detail that the programmer(s) will know what you're talking about, everything in the game. And I don't mean just the characters and the plot - the game mechanics, interface, all the small technical things must be there.

This doesn't mean the story is unimportant. You need to figure out what your game is about, and keep it consistent. If you just throw some random ideas together, it will never work.

Do you even have any programmers? Programming is what takes most of the time and effort in a videogame. Even if you use a game maker.

I made a video game together with my brother. It was simple, but it still took much more effort than it would seem from its complexity.

Maxios
2011-02-02, 04:24 PM
Then there's a long road ahead of you. Road that, don't take it personally, you probably won't finish, because making video games is much harder and time-consuming than it seems.

What you need is a script. This script must describe, in enough detail that the programmer(s) will know what you're talking about, everything in the game. And I don't mean just the characters and the plot - the game mechanics, interface, all the small technical things must be there.

This doesn't mean the story is unimportant. You need to figure out what your game is about, and keep it consistent. If you just throw some random ideas together, it will never work.

Do you even have any programmers? Programming is what takes most of the time and effort in a videogame. Even if you use a game maker.

I made a video game together with my brother. It was simple, but it still took much more effort than it would seem from its complexity.

1. I'll start working on the script right away
2 Right. The game will be very consistent, and everything will tie together
3. We're currently trying to contact MethosH to program

leakingpen
2011-02-02, 06:05 PM

You do know there ARE more old school crt's in use today then widescreens still, right?

araveugnitsuga
2011-02-02, 06:15 PM
You do know there ARE more old school crt's in use today then widescreens still, right?

It easier to shrink then to expand images.

Maxios
2011-02-02, 07:26 PM
The Mask
Hair Color: Black

Clothing and Items: Wears a black jumpsuit with a red M on his chest. Mask wears a bowler hat, a red domino mask, and also wears a red cape

Weapons: He uses boxing gloves in battle. He will use a Boomerang in ranged combat

Poses: In his neutral pose, he holds a comic book in his hand.
In his combat pose he puts his book away and puts on his boxing gloves [or takes out the boomerang] If he wins a battle, he laughs triumphantly
Misc: No misc

araveugnitsuga
2011-02-02, 07:29 PM
As of now, I won't be doing any art until a coder is obtained and you get the script fleshed out to decent levels. I really need to know how the game works, the core mechanics, and more importantly, the level of sophistication that the game will take.

Maxios
2011-02-04, 10:14 PM
As of now, I won't be doing any art until a coder is obtained and you get the script fleshed out to decent levels. I really need to know how the game works, the core mechanics, and more importantly, the level of sophistication that the game will take.

How the game works: The game works similar to other PC games that use the DnD 3.5 rules, like Neverwinter Nights 2

The Core mechanics: The game is nonlinear. The game is designed so the player can ignore the Main Quest, and explore and complete side quests. Or, the player can focus on the Main Quest. The game will be designed so the player can do whatever he wants.

Also:
The Nexus Video Game Tutorial Level Enemy Stats & Cut Scene Scripts
Cut Scene after Character Creation

Scene One
The Nexus is seen floating through space. Various meteorites are floating about, as well as a Spaceship or two.

Narrator
The multiverse is a wondrous place. There is only one place even more wondrous.

The camera begins zooming in on The Nexus.

Narrator (CON’T)
We call it the Nexus…the center of the Multiverse

Scene Two
The scene changes, and the city called Town is seen. Various buildings [Some modern, some from ancient history] are seen.

Narrator
Today is a very interesting day. The Town, the oldest and largest of cities is under attack by an unknown force…

Fires are seen in various places of The Town.

Narrator (CON’T)
And most importantly, today is the day an unlikely hero, The Chosen, appears

Cut Scene after Tutorial
Scene One
The ruins of a street in The Town are seen.

Narrator
The Town was saved by The Chosen and the city’s Militia. The enemy was revealed to be the Association of the Malicious, Evil, and Nefarious, AKA AMEN.

Scene Two
The scene changes, showing a volcano. On the side of the volcano is AMEN Headquarters.

Narrator
The reason for AMEN’s attack is unknown. Clearly, there was a reason for the assault. Clearly, this is stage one in AMEN’s master plan.

The volcano erupts, and the screen goes black.

AMEN Minion (Level One, 7 XP)
HP: 6
Bloodied: 3

AC: 15
REF: 12
MIN: 10
FORT: 12

STR: 13
DEX: 15
CON: 14
WIS: 10
INT: 11
CHA: 10

Low-Powered Energy Rifle: 1d8+1 Energy Damage. +3 vs AC. Range 50 ft.
10 Energy Cells

AMEN Helmet: +1 AC
AMEN Minion Armor: +2 AC

Combat Taunts
“All who oppose AMEN shall be elimanted!”
“AMEN’s army is unstoppable!”
“Et tu, [PC Name]”
“I have a dozen clones that will avenge me!”

+1 Spot, +1 Move Silently, +3 Tumble

Handlebar (LV. 2, 22 XP)
HP: 20
Bloodied: 10

AC: 16
REF: 13
MIN: 10
FORT: 12

STR: 14
DEX: 15
CON: 14
WIS: 10
INT: 14
CHA: 13

Handlebar’s Shock Baton: 1d8+1 Shock Damage. +4 vs. AC

AMEN Helmet: +1 AC
Metal Shoulder Pads: +1 AC
Metal Kneepads: +1 AC
Handlebar’s Armor: +4 AC

Combat Taunts
“Death to those that oppose AMEN!”
“I’ll be back with vengeance!”
“My mustache is better then yours!”

Edit: The AMEN plot mentioned above isn't the Main Plot in the game. It's a side-quest story arc

Prime32
2011-02-05, 08:36 AM
How the game works: The game works similar to other PC games that use the DnD 3.5 rules, like Neverwinter Nights 2That's nowhere near enough detail. If it worked exactly like NWN you wouldn't even have character art, you'd have 3D models. And an orchestral score. And professional voice acting. Etc. etc.
EDIT: And your statblocks use mechanics from 4E. :smallconfused:
EDIT: At another point you have said "First-person real-time OOTS style where you can draw your own character". Which contradicts itself.

"Story in a video game is like a story in a porn movie. It's expected to be there, but it's not that important."
Sure, he makes games like Doom, but he has a point there. Even in a game like Final Fantasy you could completely remove the story and it would still be playable, if not as enjoyable.

The story is the last thing you come up with when you make a game. LOZ Twilight Princess? Before it came out they were saying it took place between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. That was because they had most of the dungeons made but hadn't decided on the story yet. And all it took to change the story was a few lines of text.

For an analogy, consider that a bunch of you have decided to build a car from scratch, and have received a set budget... then everyone decides to focus on the paintjob and buys a few buckets of paint each in different colours.

EDIT: In addition, you are using a bunch of content belonging to (among others) DC Comics and Hasbro, both of whom will sue anyone to death who so much as mentions something belonging to them. And other parts of the plot you want to use have been denied by their creators directly.

You have no clearly assigned roles. At best you have a dozen or so directors. You can't just handwave the task of actually making the game.

I am seconding Tengu here, making a game is hard work. As you are now, this project will never produce anything.

It easier to shrink then to expand images.Incorrect. Finding the average colour of the surrounding pixels requires quite a bit more math than just repeating a pixel. And you could just use black bars at the sides anyway.

Maxios
2011-02-05, 01:45 PM
That's nowhere near enough detail. If it worked exactly like NWN you wouldn't even have character art, you'd have 3D models. And an orchestral score. And professional voice acting. Etc. etc.
EDIT: And your statblocks use mechanics from 4E. :smallconfused:
EDIT: At another point you have said "First-person real-time OOTS style where you can draw your own character". Which contradicts itself.

Sure, he makes games like Doom, but he has a point there. Even in a game like Final Fantasy you could completely remove the story and it would still be playable, if not as enjoyable.

The story is the last thing you come up with when you make a game. LOZ Twilight Princess? Before it came out they were saying it took place between Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker. That was because they had most of the dungeons made but hadn't decided on the story yet. And all it took to change the story was a few lines of text.

For an analogy, consider that a bunch of you have decided to build a car from scratch, and have received a set budget... then everyone decides to focus on the paintjob and buys a few buckets of paint each in different colours.

EDIT: In addition, you are using a bunch of content belonging to (among others) DC Comics and Hasbro, both of whom will sue anyone to death who so much as mentions something belonging to them. And other parts of the plot you want to use have been denied by their creators directly.

You have no clearly assigned roles. At best you have a dozen or so directors. You can't just handwave the task of actually making the game.

I am seconding Tengu here, making a game is hard work. As you are now, this project will never produce anything.

Incorrect. Finding the average colour of the surrounding pixels requires quite a bit more math than just repeating a pixel. And you could just use black bars at the sides anyway.

1. Bloodied in this is just the determination of when an enemy would flee
2. I never said you would draw your own character
3. We decided on isometric, not 1st Person
4. The game will be a mixture of real time

Also for the NVN 2, I just meant how the game itself would controlling characters would work, not 3D Models and stuff

Maxios
2011-02-06, 04:52 PM
Sorry to double-post, but what I have to say is too important to edit it in:
Prime & Tengue were right. I've decided we have to split up into teams. That's the only way this game can be made. We have to make a team for each area. That area's team comes up with who's in the area, what quests are in there, etc. Then after that team comes up with ideas, we make sure it fits into the pre-established canon.
There's a universal team as well, that includes progammers, artists, etc. This universal team helps to make sure everything makes a great game experience.
You can also be in multiple teams

Universal Team:
Maxios [Creative Designer]
Superdark [Creative Designer]
araveugnitsuga [Character Artist]

spectralphoenix
2011-02-07, 08:09 AM
Are you still planning on making this in flash? This sounds complicated (and high-resolution) for a flash game.

If you're doing an isometric game with 2d images, you're going to need several different versions of each character - if you want the game characters to be able to face in eight directions, you'll need five or eight (depending on whether you mirror-image or not) sprites for every character. You'll probably want to split the humanoid characters up into different parts (head, torso, and arms) to allow for some degree of customizability (so putting on leather armor doesn't require an entirely new character, just the leather armor.)

You should probably figure out how the game works and the details of your system. I don't understand the details of how the OGL works, but you might want to make sure you can do this sort of thing before you get started, as well as figure out which parts you want to implement and how. 3.5 is complicated. Your programmer can't do much without knowing what to program.

Tengu_temp
2011-02-07, 02:59 PM
Are you set on the game mechanics? I really think this project would have the highest chance of success if you did it in RPG Maker or a similar tool.

Maxios
2011-02-12, 12:44 PM
To Spectral: I think the game is going to have to be downloadable. You're right about how they have to be done in several directions, and about the armor and customization.
The game is going to use the majority of the D20 System. Attacks of Opportunity however, will only happen when moving next to an enemy character.
The game will also use custom elements as well, such as new skillls & feats.

To Tengu: I am somewhat set on the game elements. However, I will try to find something that allows us to make RPGs, while using the D20 System

Prime32
2011-02-12, 03:33 PM
To Tengu: I am somewhat set on the game elements. However, I will try to find something that allows us to make RPGs, while using the D20 SystemUm... that's kind of like saying "I will try to find a kind of brick that allows us to build houses with multiple bedrooms, without asking the owners of the land." :smallconfused:

Look, if you want something like NWN, why not just make an NWN mod? Far less work than making a game from scratch, and less technical knowledge required.

Maxios
2011-02-12, 06:49 PM
Um... that's kind of like saying "I will try to find a kind of brick that allows us to build houses with multiple bedrooms, without asking the owners of the land." :smallconfused:

Look, if you want something like NWN, why not just make an NWN mod? Far less work than making a game from scratch, and less technical knowledge required.

Because if it's a NWN Mod then all the users that don't have it can't play it, I downloaded the game on steam and it doesn't come with the editor, and we can't use the OOTs style characters that Pink Haired August made

Galdor
2011-02-21, 05:45 PM
What about Game Maker? It depends on how in depth you want to go with the programming, because I've found the quality of the games you can make with it is directly proportional to how much experience you have with it.

Also, it can export .exe's!

Maxios
2011-02-21, 06:51 PM
What about Game Maker? It depends on how in depth you want to go with the programming, because I've found the quality of the games you can make with it is directly proportional to how much experience you have with it.

Also, it can export .exe's!

Game Maker? I'll look into that :smallsmile:

MethosH
2011-02-28, 12:53 PM
OMFG! A RANDOM ENCOUNTER!

Err... Hey guys... I heard somebody called be about... programming a game? :smallconfused:

Maxios
2011-02-28, 05:40 PM
OMFG! A RANDOM ENCOUNTER!

Err... Hey guys... I heard somebody called be about... programming a game? :smallconfused:

Methos! You're back :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I started a project, in which we create video games. We were wondering if you'd be able to program, or at least help, make the game

MethosH
2011-03-01, 10:21 PM
Methos! You're back :smallbiggrin:

Anyway, I started a project, in which we create video games. We were wondering if you'd be able to program, or at least help, make the game

Sure. I do enjoy programming a good game. :smallsmile:
What kind of game? *too lazy to read the post*

Maxios
2011-03-02, 05:26 PM
Sure. I do enjoy programming a good game. :smallsmile:
What kind of game? *too lazy to read the post*

The game is an RPG done in the style of Baldur's Gate and other classic RPG games.

MethosH
2011-03-03, 03:24 PM
The game is an RPG done in the style of Baldur's Gate and other classic RPG games.

Oh god d... I hope I'm not the only programmer. Sounds like a hard work for a single guy. Are we doing it in flash? C#? Any idea?

Maxios
2011-03-03, 04:24 PM
Oh god d... I hope I'm not the only programmer. Sounds like a hard work for a single guy. Are we doing it in flash? C#? Any idea?

I'm going to try to see if there's any other Programmers on the boards. I know there was someone on here who worked on an MMO, he could help out. Also, on the choice of what we're doing it in, whichever works better for you, since you're the Programmer :smallsmile:

Also: Maybe we could use The Hub RPG, an RPG system I wrote out, for the game. It's some similar to D&D 3.5, but it's simpler in several aspects. That way, it'd be easier to program. But I'm fine with D&D 3.5 being used

MethosH
2011-03-03, 06:15 PM
I'm going to try to see if there's any other Programmers on the boards. I know there was someone on here who worked on an MMO, he could help out. Also, on the choice of what we're doing it in, whichever works better for you, since you're the Programmer :smallsmile:

Also: Maybe we could use The Hub RPG, an RPG system I wrote out, for the game. It's some similar to D&D 3.5, but it's simpler in several aspects. That way, it'd be easier to program. But I'm fine with D&D 3.5 being used

You are implying... full D&D with all the feats and stuff? Ask Bioware how much work that idea end up given them :smalltongue:
Lets aim for a more simpler scenario, with a very modular system, suitable to upgrades and addons, and go from there.

About tech... Well... I think we may wait for the other programmer to show up before deciding it. We need to be sure its something we both are comfortable with.

Maxios
2011-03-03, 06:39 PM
You are implying... full D&D with all the feats and stuff? Ask Bioware how much work that idea end up given them :smalltongue:
Lets aim for a more simpler scenario, with a very modular system, suitable to upgrades and addons, and go from there.

About tech... Well... I think we may wait for the other programmer to show up before deciding it. We need to be sure its something we both are comfortable with.

Alright. Do you think I should start a thread in Friendly Discussion about how we need programmers, in the hopes people will want to help?

Lemonus
2011-03-05, 08:06 PM
I've been reading through this thread, and I'd love to work on it, but there are a few issues:
We can't use D&D things like Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses/saves, or anything else too D&D related, because then WotC probably would sue us, and we can't use Green (or any other color) Lanterns, because then DC Comics would sue us.

Other than that, this looks great and I'd love to help!

Maxios
2011-03-05, 08:17 PM
I've been reading through this thread, and I'd love to work on it, but there are a few issues:
We can't use D&D things like Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses/saves, or anything else too D&D related, because then WotC probably would sue us, and we can't use Green (or any other color) Lanterns, because then DC Comics would sue us.

Other than that, this looks great and I'd love to help!

1. Great!

2. That's why I suggested we use The Hub RPG system I wrote out.

3. I already came up with an alternate name for LANTERN, and how it works. Rings of Almighty Power, or RAP. The Rings are ancient magical items made by the firest Denizens of the Nexus. When worn, they grant the wearer great power with a price.

Lemonus
2011-03-05, 08:19 PM
2. That's why I suggested we use The Hub RPG system I wrote out.

3. I already came up with an alternate name for LANTERN, and how it works. Rings of Almighty Power, or RAP. The Rings are ancient magical items made by the firest Denizens of the Nexus. When worn, they grant the wearer great power with a price.

Sweet! What should I start working on? I can do anything except art or programming.

Maxios
2011-03-05, 08:28 PM
Sweet! What should I start working on? I can do anything except art or programming.

Would you be interested in working on The Town, as in coming up with ideas & quests? Also, would you be interested in working on one of the Orginizations (HALO, AMEN, GLOG, RAP/LANTERN)?

Lemonus
2011-03-05, 08:35 PM
Would you be interested in working on The Town, as in coming up with ideas & quests? Also, would you be interested in working on one of the Orginizations (HALO, AMEN, GLOG, RAP/LANTERN)?

I'll work on quests. I have an idea for a lvl 1 quest right now:

Somebody asks you to clear their basement of "a few bugs". Thinking it'll be easy, the player goes into the basement, only to find out that "a few bugs" means several monster spiders and scorpions, although it's not that hard. When they kill all the monsters, the person refuses to reward you because " it was only a few bugs". It is possible to kill this person. They have a reward on their person (probably just some money) if you kill them.

Maxios
2011-03-05, 08:38 PM
I'll work on quests. I have an idea for a lvl 1 quest right now:

Somebody asks you to clear their basement of "a few bugs". Thinking it'll be easy, the player goes into the basement, only to find out that "a few bugs" means several monster spiders and scorpions, although it's not that hard. When they kill all the monsters, the person refuses to reward you because " it was only a few bugs". It is possible to kill this person. They have a reward on their person (probably just some money) if you kill them.

That sounds like a good idea. Heck, that might be something we could implement into the tutorial, to teach you combat. Also, Quests Idea:

We should incorporate "Time Travel" Missions, taking you back to major events in the history of the Nexus. The first of these events would be the Arena Battle that led to The Town.
Another one of these events would take you to War Island, a place where all of the groups battled each other.

Tengu_temp
2011-03-06, 04:35 AM

Dude, you're making* a free fan game. Not only are you most likely allowed to use those things under the Fair Use Rights, I also doubt if large companies will even notice you, much less spend time and money to sue you.

* - I still doubt that this project will ever get finished, no offense intended.

Maxios
2011-03-06, 03:07 PM
Dude, you're making* a free fan game. Not only are you most likely allowed to use those things under the Fair Use Rights, I also doubt if large companies will even notice you, much less spend time and money to sue you.

* - I still doubt that this project will ever get finished, no offense intended.

*You are right about that, but I still say we use The Hub system.

*No offense taken

Maxios
2011-03-06, 03:08 PM

*You're right there, but I still say we use The Hub rules.

*- No offense taken

Lemonus
2011-03-06, 04:10 PM
I have an idea for how the tutorial will work:

You appear in the Town. A message comes up, telling you "Welcome to the Nexus Video Game! Let's get started. See that man over there?" [The man in question is the guy who gives you the quest to clear his basement. He has exclamation mark over his head.] "That mark over his head means that he is a Questgiver. Quests are [Insert definition of quest]. Move over him by [However you move]!" Once they are next to him the message says: "Ok then! select him by [However you select people]." [The guy asks you to clear out his basement] [The player goes into the basement, and the combat tutorial starts.]
When the basement is cleared the message says: "Now select the man to get your reward!" [The man refuses to give a reward.] Ok then... hmmmm... OK! that brings me to the next part of the tutorial: Killing NPCs! To kill an NPC, attack them like a monster! However, not all NPCs are killable, and bad things may happen if you kill them. But this guy is ok!"

Maxios
2011-03-06, 06:00 PM
I have an idea for how the tutorial will work:

You appear in the Town. A message comes up, telling you "Welcome to the Nexus Video Game! Let's get started. See that man over there?" [The man in question is the guy who gives you the quest to clear his basement. He has exclamation mark over his head.] "That mark over his head means that he is a Questgiver. Quests are [Insert definition of quest]. Move over him by [However you move]!" Once they are next to him the message says: "Ok then! select him by [However you select people]." [The guy asks you to clear out his basement] [The player goes into the basement, and the combat tutorial starts.]
When the basement is cleared the message says: "Now select the man to get your reward!" [The man refuses to give a reward.] Ok then... hmmmm... OK! that brings me to the next part of the tutorial: Killing NPCs! To kill an NPC, attack them like a monster! However, not all NPCs are killable, and bad things may happen if you kill them. But this guy is ok!"

That's a good idea. I have a Side-Quest storyline idea, involving a secret acro-group (EON), that's attempting to assasinate The Town's council.

Trazoi
2011-03-06, 07:29 PM
Dude, you're making* a free fan game. Not only are you most likely allowed to use those things under the Fair Use Rights
Morbo: FAIR USE DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. GOOD NIGHT!
*ahem*
If you start stomping on other people's IP, especially if you start stomping on trademarks which need to be defended, then you're opening your project to be shut down. "Fair Use" is a tricky defence especially for fan projects, because it can only be used in court and fan projects almost certainly cannot take it that far. Basically, the rule of thumb for fan projects using someone else's IP is that if you aren't prepared to pull it without regrets, it isn't worth putting in the effort.

That said I'm not sure if stuff as basic as Will saves are covered by IP. I'd avoid Green Lanterns though; put in a rebadged version instead.

I still doubt that this project will ever get finished, no offense intended.
No offense guys, but I have to agree with Tengu_temp. I think you're going off on the wrong foot. You're overloaded with creative directors working on the fine details like the specifics of the tutorial when you haven't nailed down your technology yet or even fully got a programmer on board.

If you're planning on having fun designing a game then that's fine, but if you're serious about getting this game made I'd start making decisions on what tech base you're going to use. I'd highly recommend using something like RPG Maker or make a NWN module, because the system is already there. You're almost certainly going to have to do the bulk of the programming/scripting yourselves, at least to begin with. Once you've got a playable prototype working you'll get a lot more attention.

Lemonus
2011-03-06, 07:32 PM
Can I have a link to The Hub rules so I can look at it?

Maxios
2011-03-06, 07:37 PM
Can I have a link to The Hub rules so I can look at it?

An abridged version of the rules can be found in The Untamed Hub PbP Game Recruitment Thread & OoC. The full version has a lot more rules, including rules for lighting, eating, sleeping, etc. The full version also has different stat/skill names & Spells

Zefir
2011-03-07, 03:07 AM
That's a good idea. I have a Side-Quest storyline idea, involving a secret acro-group (EON), that's attempting to assasinate The Town's council.

I think the best way to lead the player would be a good redline like.

- In the starting region your will be trained for the military or such.
- Then they lead you to different Areas to assist the troops there including Sidequests like women miss her cookies etc.
- To cause people to Level again there could be at some way a split of the path or a choose your side quest.

Just a few thoughts.

Zeb The Troll
2011-03-07, 05:11 AM
{bug fix post}

spectralphoenix
2011-03-07, 12:15 PM
Before you start worrying about the tutorial, I think you should probably come up with the overarching story. Who is the character? What does he want to accomplish? Who are his enemies? What do they want to accomplish?

Maxios
2011-03-07, 06:52 PM
To Zefir: That's a good idea.

To SP: I have several ideas. My ideas are: The Hero/Heroine (Or Villain/Villainess depending on how you play the game) is a figure from a long-forgotten prophoecy. Normally, I would say AMEN could be the villains, but the problem with that, is Evil PCs will likely work with AMEN. As suggested earlier in the thread, perhaps the Villains (Whoever they are), are trying to find an ancient weapon that can cause great harm. Perhaps the PC is the son/daughter of the Main Villain.
The game will also have several other, 'minor', storylines, such as the EON Plot mentioned before.

I also think a large part of the game should be set in The Town, and perhaps another part of it set in the Undercity (A great city built benath the ground).
I will also post The Hub rules on this thread. It won't be the full version of the rules, more of a 0.5/Basic Version.

Maxios
2011-03-08, 02:14 PM
And I've just been trolled on my IC Nexus Formsprings about this project. Which means I'm mad. Which means I'm determined. Which means that today, I will be posting a LOT of ideas.

Maxios
2011-03-08, 11:41 PM
Maxios Baxterofski
A hero dedicated to the preservation of law, and the founder of RAP

Maxios can be found in Rings of Almighty Power Headquarters. He will join the party if all the RAP Quests are complete, and the PC has an Idolized Reputaion with RAP. If the PC commits any evil actions, Maxios warns the Player not to do it again. If the PC commits another evil action, Maxios will inform the player that (s)he is now a criminal in Maxios' eyes, and Maxios will attempt to bring the PC to justice.

Class/Level: Rogue 2/Fighter 3
Race: Human
Aligment: Lawful Good

Hit Points: 64
Bloodied: 23
Hit Dice: d6+d10

Muscle: 12
Agility: 14
Endurance: 18
Intelligence: 13
Charisma: 15
Wisdom: 10

Armor Class: 16
Constitution: 18
Mind: 13
Reflex: 14

Melee-Attack-Bonus: +5
Ranged-Attack-Bonus: +4
Spell-Attack-Bonus: +3

Skills:
Lockpick 4
Disable Device 5
Diplomacy 2
Heal 3
Lore (Laws) 6
Lore (The Town) 5
Lore (RAP) 8
Interrogation 3
Investigation 5
Spot 3
Search 3

Features:
Backstab
MAB +3
Weapon Profincency (All)
Armor Proficency (All)
Diehard

RAP: Idolized (Leader)
HALO: Liked (Member)
Town: Famed

Spells:
Of Shadows: A unique form of Invisibilty. Can be cast Three Times a day. The effect vanishes when Maxios is exposed to Bright or Better light, but can't be detected by Heat-vision or anything similar. Casting Time: One Round

Duplication: Maxios can duplicate himself at will. However, each time he clones himself, is health is divided into the clones. At Two Clones, each has 1/2 of Maxios' normal health. At Three Clones, each has 1/3 of Maxios' normal health, and so forth. The max number of clones at one time is five. When all the clones are killed or KOed, they all merdge back into Maxios. All the damage taken by the clones is then taken by the normal Maxios.

Equipment:
* The Halo (Energy Sword) One Handed, Five Pounds, 2d8+3 Damage
* The Beamer (Laser Pistol) One Handed, Three Pounds, 3d6+1
Damage, Range 150 Ft, Uses one Energy Cell/Shot
* Padded Green RAP: +3 AC
* White Power Ring
* Padded Pants: +1 AC
* Steel Boots: +2 AC

Zefir
2011-03-09, 02:40 AM
ONe question Maxios:
Is this going to be Like Baldurs gate with a single player campain that can be played in coop mode or is this going to be an Single player game or a MMORPG?

A side note:
You got many informations over the thread a good idea will be, if you sum them up in the first post. Makes it easy for new people to follow the progress.

Maxios
2011-03-09, 05:07 PM
ONe question Maxios:
Is this going to be Like Baldurs gate with a single player campain that can be played in coop mode or is this going to be an Single player game or a MMORPG?

A side note:
You got many informations over the thread a good idea will be, if you sum them up in the first post. Makes it easy for new people to follow the progress.

1. The game will be primairly single-player, but the campaign can be played in Multiplayer Mode. However, if Multiplayer Feature is NOT included in the game's base version, it will be put in by an update.

2. Good idea, I shall edit the OP in a couple minutes. :smallsmile:

Also, could your characters Andy & Zefir appear in the game? You'd help write out their stats and their dialouge, if you say yes.

Zefir
2011-03-09, 05:14 PM
I have to say a clear no to Andy and a half no to Zefr.

Reason Andy is my favorit char and until now he isn't that worked out I would ike him to be.
About Zefir: His kind of fighting could only be used at some kind of endboss either way I'm not really sure how to fit him into DnD based stats. I made him free head and he grows if it fits in.

I could give you an other Idea that may work as a capter boss or such depending how you go with this.
Will there be a free to do Area where a player can do things with a small redline or is it a chapter story where the char needs to clear the red string to expand the world?

Maxios
2011-03-09, 05:19 PM
I have to say a clear no to Andy and a half no to Zefr.

Reason Andy is my favorit char and until now he isn't that worked out I would ike him to be.
About Zefir: His kind of fighting could only be used at some kind of endboss either way I'm not really sure how to fit him into DnD based stats. I made him free head and he grows if it fits in.

I could give you an other Idea that may work as a capter boss or such depending how you go with this.
Will there be a free to do Area where a player can do things with a small redline or is it a chapter story where the char needs to clear the red string to expand the world?

The character can go nearly anywhere in the world (A la Fallout 2), but some areas will be a lot tougher then others.

Trazoi
2011-03-09, 11:51 PM
1. The game will be primairly single-player, but the campaign can be played in Multiplayer Mode. However, if Multiplayer Feature is NOT included in the game's base version, it will be put in by an update.
Uh... are you dead set on that? Multiplayer isn't something you can throw in as an afterthought. If you set that as a requirement it's going to affect the design of the entire game, and IMO raise the difficulty of development by at least an order of magnitude.

As hobby developers you're going to be extremely limited by the amount of manpower at your disposal. You're going to have to compromise quite considerably. Once again, I'd highly advise looking into what engines are out there already that can give you a head start. They'll limit you somewhat in what you can do, but it's better to have something to work with than be stuck with nothing. Have a look at RPG Maker, Game Maker or if you're ambitious Unity 3D and see what you can do with them. I promise you, if you can get a prototype up and running - even a very simple prototype - you'll get a lot more attention from prospective hobby developers.

Maxios
2011-03-10, 06:18 PM
Uh... are you dead set on that? Multiplayer isn't something you can throw in as an afterthought. If you set that as a requirement it's going to affect the design of the entire game, and IMO raise the difficulty of development by at least an order of magnitude.

As hobby developers you're going to be extremely limited by the amount of manpower at your disposal. You're going to have to compromise quite considerably. Once again, I'd highly advise looking into what engines are out there already that can give you a head start. They'll limit you somewhat in what you can do, but it's better to have something to work with than be stuck with nothing. Have a look at RPG Maker, Game Maker or if you're ambitious Unity 3D and see what you can do with them. I promise you, if you can get a prototype up and running - even a very simple prototype - you'll get a lot more attention from prospective hobby developers.

Tell you what, if you (Or anyone for the matter) can find a game maker that allows us to use The Hub 0.5 Rules and the character designs that were earlier in this thread, we will make a Prototype using it

Prime32
2011-03-10, 06:25 PM
Tell you what, if you (Or anyone for the matter) can find a game maker that allows us to use The Hub 0.5 Rules and the character designs that were earlier in this thread, we will make a Prototype using itAny game maker will allow you to do that, save the most plastic-looking and limited. It's like asking for a language that can be used for poetry.

Maxios
2011-03-10, 06:28 PM
Just about any game maker will allow you to do that. It's like asking for a language that can be used for poetry.

Fine. I'll look into RPGMaker, Game Maker, and other Game-Creators as well

MethosH
2011-03-11, 01:54 PM
making a prototype is a good idea. It will help you sell it. And believe.. You need all the help u can get. To do what u want u need at least 5 good programmers working on it for at least 6 months. Stop dreamming and go find me a team.

Maxios
2011-03-11, 06:13 PM
making a prototype is a good idea. It will help you sell it. And believe.. You need all the help u can get. To do what u want u need at least 5 good programmers working on it for at least 6 months. Stop dreamming and go find me a team.

That's the problem Methos. I don't even know if there's any other programmers on the forums. I'll start a thread in Friendly Discussion Arts & Crafts, advertising our need for Programmers

Trazoi
2011-03-12, 12:29 AM
That's the problem Methos. I don't even know if there's any other programmers on the forums.
I'm a programmer. :smallsmile: And I know there's plenty more around. I'm afraid I'm plenty busy with my own projects though. I'm offering my advice here because you seem keen and I'd like to give your project a shot at success.

From the perspective of a programmer, when the team lead starts throwing around terms like "it's primarily a single-player RPG, but it has to be extended to be multiplayer" like it was nothing, we tend to get mighty nervous. From your perspective it's "This would be cool", but from ours it's another year of work. :smallwink:

Have a look at the game makers. I don't know of a single hobby project where the team leader didn't put in the most amount of work, so chances are it going to have to be you doing the bulk of the coding. It's a heck of a lot easier to script than learn how to write a game engine from scratch. And I've seen plenty of games around made by artists with no prior programming experience who picked up a good game engine and spent a month learning the ropes. Every year the tools out there for game making get better, so it's a great time for hobby development. Get cracking and start making that game! :smallbiggrin:

Maxios
2011-03-12, 03:20 PM
I'm a programmer. :smallsmile: And I know there's plenty more around. I'm afraid I'm plenty busy with my own projects though. I'm offering my advice here because you seem keen and I'd like to give your project a shot at success.

From the perspective of a programmer, when the team lead starts throwing around terms like "it's primarily a single-player RPG, but it has to be extended to be multiplayer" like it was nothing, we tend to get mighty nervous. From your perspective it's "This would be cool", but from ours it's another year of work. :smallwink:

Have a look at the game makers. I don't know of a single hobby project where the team leader didn't put in the most amount of work, so chances are it going to have to be you doing the bulk of the coding. It's a heck of a lot easier to script than learn how to write a game engine from scratch. And I've seen plenty of games around made by artists with no prior programming experience who picked up a good game engine and spent a month learning the ropes. Every year the tools out there for game making get better, so it's a great time for hobby development. Get cracking and start making that game! :smallbiggrin:

1. No Multiplayer in the game. The first cancelled feature...ah the memories :smallamused:

2. The problem with that is the only coding experience I have is when I use Smilies and Spoilers on this forum :smalleek:

MethosH
2011-03-12, 06:51 PM
1. No Multiplayer in the game. The first cancelled feature...ah the memories :smallamused:

2. The problem with that is the only coding experience I have is when I use Smilies and Spoilers on this forum :smalleek:

I'm voting for XNA. Do the basics XNA tutorials at the XNA creators club and you will learn the basics of game programming even if you don't know how to program. They have a great basic tutorial.

I do believe that if we get programmers they won't be the best programmers ever, but new coders... So... XNA have a really nice community and its full of great user made tutorials.

Maxios
2011-03-12, 06:58 PM
I'm voting for XNA. Do the basics XNA tutorials at the XNA creators club and you will learn the basics of game programming even if you don't know how to program. They have a great basic tutorial.

I do believe that if we get programmers they won't be the best programmers ever, but new coders... So... XNA have a really nice community and its full of great user made tutorials.

Alright. I'll look in XNA.
Also Methos, I have a question. Would it be possible for you to program an application of some sort that allows us to make character templates quickly? Like some sort of character creator, but one in which you only make how your character looks? Then after doing this, you could safe your character's picture as a PNG?
I'm sure Pink-Haired August could make some base templates, like different hair styles or races.

MethosH
2011-03-14, 01:53 PM
I think i can work it out this weekend. Ask the artist to pm me.

super dark33
2011-03-14, 02:00 PM
so you realy think that the nexus is a good game idea/ i mean, its not that we are making a sandbox game like Elderscrolls, but its not even that we are makeing a Do-it-your-own-way like in crysis, so i still think that a nexus idea is not good, mosly because there are LAZER guns, which are nearly invinceble aginst weak mooks, so it turns the game pretty confused.
maybe the game settings would be in the Fantasy area of the nexus, so no uncomfortable incidents with spaceship and lazer aginst knights and wizards will happen.

also: if there is a main villian, please make it me, my avatar, as i helped this game develop?

Zefir
2011-03-15, 02:46 AM
Super Dark seems like you haven't been in the Nexus.
Yes there are Laser guns and such but the got beat sometimes by a man with a sword . And in a game you have enougth things to make them equal. The only thing against the Nexus is the permission thing, because the ideas of GloG AMEN and such are not related to Maxios so he normaly isn't alloed to use them. But this was discussed befor.

I'm not a good programmer, learned Java a bit, but I may help with making the red line if needed.

Maxios
2011-03-15, 01:31 PM
To methos: I'll let him know right away :smallsmile:

To superdark: Laser Guns and other weapons won't be obtained until late until the game. And even then, ammo for them is scarce, and costs a lot. And don't worry, your avatar will appear as one of the main villains

To Zefir: Good point. However, when AMEN or GLOG does appear in the game, the only characters in those groups that will appear are those who gave us their permission. And I'll probably make up a bunch of members, as well

Lemonus
2011-03-15, 04:15 PM
Sorry I haven't come up with any quests for a while, the creative juices have been running a bit slow lately, and I haven't had a lot of time.

Maxios
2011-03-15, 04:18 PM
Sorry I haven't come up with any quests for a while, the creative juices have been running a bit slow lately, and I haven't had a lot of time.

It's ok, Lemon :smallsmile:

MethosH
2011-03-17, 02:36 PM
Due to time differences between me and the artist I can't estimate yet how long it will take to finish the char creator... But soon I hope. :smallsmile:

Maxios
2011-03-17, 03:21 PM
Due to time differences between me and the artist I can't estimate yet how long it will take to finish the char creator... But soon I hope. :smallsmile:

All that matters Methos is that it gets done :smallsmile:

Lemonus
2011-03-17, 03:25 PM
I have an idea for a quest. (This is just a general idea.)

Person A hires you to kill Person B. After fighting your way through Person B's minions, Person B hires you to kill Person A. You then have to pick who to kill. (One person could be good, the other evil, and who you kill affects if you're good or evil.)

Maxios
2011-03-17, 03:28 PM
I have an idea for a quest. (This is just a general idea.)

Person A hires you to kill Person B. After fighting your way through Person B's minions, Person B hires you to kill Person A. You then have to pick who to kill. (One person could be good, the other evil, and who you kill affects if you're good or evil.)

That sounds like a good quest, Lemon. Perhaps Person B is some sort of AI, and Person A feels threatened by him. And perhaps B's minions are robots

Maxios
2011-03-20, 03:17 PM
Methos, how's the Char Creator going so far?

Gimliggamer
2011-03-20, 10:09 PM
My idea for the story: You're a new addition to a team of adventurers. You start a quest to save the planet, only for your team to be killed one by one, in the end, leaving you to defend the planet on your own until you die. Wait a minute, that sounds familiar......:smalltongue:

Maxios
2011-03-20, 10:11 PM
My idea for the story: You're a new addition to a team of adventurers. You start a quest to save the planet, only for your team to be killed one by one, in the end, leaving you to defend the planet on your own until you die. Wait a minute, that sounds familiar......:smalltongue:

Genius idea! And the team is made out of super-soldiers called SPARTANS! And the planet can be named Reach! It's the most original videogame idea ever :smallamused:

Gimliggamer
2011-03-21, 10:35 PM
Genius idea! And the team is made out of super-soldiers called SPARTANS! And the planet can be named Reach! It's the most original videogame idea ever :smallamused:Not only SPARTANS!, but also cheap remakes made to die anyways called SPARTAN III's!, and just for fun, give them a SPARTAN II that is stronger than master chief, but instead sacrifices himself for you, even though he is clearly superior and has a larger chance of winning, except for the fact that he bogs himself down with a heavy chaingun the whole game.:smallannoyed:

Maxios
2011-03-21, 10:48 PM
Not only SPARTANS!, but also cheap remakes made to die anyways called SPARTAN III's!, and just for fun, give them a SPARTAN II that is stronger than master chief, but instead sacrifices himself for you, even though he is clearly superior and has a larger chance of winning, except for the fact that he bogs himself down with a heavy chaingun the whole game.:smallannoyed:

Seriously, maybe a SPARTAN will appear in the game as a companion.

Gimliggamer
2011-03-21, 11:41 PM
Seriously, maybe a SPARTAN will appear in the game as a companion.umm...copyright laws probably are against you here, unless you wanted to put one of the original mideval spartans into the game, like the ones famous for the battle of 300.

Maxios
2011-03-21, 11:45 PM
umm...copyright laws probably are against you here, unless you wanted to put one of the original mideval spartans into the game, like the ones famous for the battle of 300.

Right. I'll probably put in an ancient Spartan, and a futuristic Space Marine that is NOT related to WH 40k or Halo.

Maxios
2011-03-26, 11:18 PM
Yo Methos, how is the Character Creator going so far?

Maxios
2011-04-04, 06:47 PM
Idea: I have an idea for Plot in the game. A nefarious warlock (Superdark's avatar) has stolen an Ancient Magic Artifact, and plans on using it in a ritual to summon The Beast, ancient embodiment of evil.
The PC goes through his tower in a standard dungeon crawl, and reaches the top where the player defeats the wizard. However, the Artifact shatters into five pieces, and the player must find the Five Pieces, working together with HALO. At the same time, AMEN is hunting them down in an attempt to use their power to conquer the Nexus, and then, the Multiverse. Evil PCs may work with AMEN.
The PC finds the Shards, and the Artifact is fixed. However, it has lost it's magic potent, and the PC is sent off to try to find the Ancient Wizard who could bring it's power back.
In a last attempt, AMEN (Or HALO) summons the ghost of the warlock in an attempt to get it back. After fighting the Warlock's ghost, the Player manages to return the Artifact.

super dark33
2011-04-07, 04:11 PM
Thats nice, though i like it tis way:A ranageade warlock who was in service of a powerfull order, stolen some artifects:a magical lazer cannon,which he uses for threatening the nexux, a Conjuring stick, which he uses to create His floating fortress and his army of dark servents, and an amulet,which gives him immense power.
PC crawls to the top of the fortress, fights him (AMEN and HALO are helping the player undercover) then, the warlock flees to somwhere, not before he fires the magic lazer cannon at WATCHTOWER, which is the reason why they wont appear in this game, then, AMEN ans HALO reveal their true intentions:get the artifects and use them to rule the nexus.
then, the player coses what to do:help AMEN, help HALO or try to find the warlock and work with him, and rule the nexus as his right left hand! (hes lefty)

Gimliggamer
2011-04-07, 04:19 PM
Thats nice, though i like it tis way:A ranageade warlock who was in service of a powerfull order, stolen some artifects:a magical lazer cannon,which he uses for threatening the nexux, a Conjuring stick, which he uses to create His floating fortress and his army of dark servents, and an amulet,which gives him immense power.
PC crawls to the top of the fortress, fights him (AMEN and HALO are helping the player undercover) then, the warlock flees to somwhere, not before he fires the magic lazer cannon at WATCHTOWER, which is the reason why they wont appear in this game, then, AMEN ans HALO reveal their true intentions:get the artifects and use them to rule the nexus.
then, the player coses what to do:help AMEN, help HALO or try to find the warlock and work with him, and rule the nexus as his right left hand! (hes lefty)Um, that will not work out. HALO is an organization for law and good, AMEN is evil and chaotic. Firing the laser at WATCHTOWER would still have it mentioned in the game. HALO would never try to take over the Nexus, and HALO and AMEN would never help the same person.

super dark33
2011-04-07, 04:23 PM
HALO will take over the nexus for 'good and prosperity for evryone'
AMEN will for fun and profits.

And they both think they are the only side helping him

HALO captain:WHAT?! AMEN?! DEFEND YOURSELVES!
AMEN captain:HALO?! <player name> you said that no outer side was involved!

Gimliggamer
2011-04-07, 04:25 PM
HALO will take over the nexus for 'good and prosperity for evryone'
AMEN will for fun and profits.But HALO doesn't work that way. And it would be nice if you at least made an attempt to fix spelling mistakes.

Maxios
2011-04-07, 04:35 PM
Perhaps HALO's trying to get the shatterd artifact to banish AMEN and other evil do'ers away to another dimension, and AMEN is trying to banish HALO and other good guys to the same dimension. This dimension could be called "The Null Zone" or "The Omega Dimension"

To Superdark: Perhaps you have to get other artifacts, like the ones you mentioned, to try and get all the shattered pieces.

super dark33
2011-04-08, 03:49 AM
Or ''The plane of suck'', renamed to ''the plane of the mighty superdark'' cuz he was banished to there first, and if the PC finds a way to be banished, he can help him to get out and conquer the nexus!

Maxios
2011-04-08, 12:44 PM
Or ''The plane of suck'', renamed to ''the plane of the mighty superdark'' cuz he was banished to there first, and if the PC finds a way to be banished, he can help him to get out and conquer the nexus!

Now that's a good idea. Banishing the warlock only made him stronger because he now has his own plane...:smallbiggrin:...and the player can get banished there if they switch alignments when working with a certain group (HALO, AMEN)

TheLaughingMan
2011-04-08, 02:06 PM
Right. I'll probably put in an ancient Spartan, and a futuristic Space Marine that is NOT related to WH 40k or Halo.

ROMANS, perhaps? :smalltongue:

Maxios
2011-04-08, 02:16 PM
ROMANS, perhaps? :smalltongue:

I do plan on some time-travelling Romans making an appearence. :smallamused:

Maxios
2011-04-17, 06:23 PM
I know this goes against our previous gameplay ideas but...how about we make this a total-conversion mod for Fallout New Vegas, set in a post-apoctolyptic Nexus.
Thoughts?

super dark33
2011-04-18, 09:30 AM
I know this goes against our previous gameplay ideas but...how about we make this a total-conversion mod for Fallout New Vegas, set in a post-apoctolyptic Nexus.
Thoughts?

nahhhh, we need a game for ourselves, not a mod for anouter games.

Tengu_temp
2011-04-18, 02:42 PM
Do you have any experience with making mods for Fallout 3? Making a total conversion mod is almost as much work as making a full game, and more work than making a simple flash game, because you need to work with 3d graphics. You will do as much progress with it as you did with the original idea. Look what you have 4 months after the project started: a bunch of extremely loose ideas and some DND character sheets with barely any actual character info attached to them. In comparison to what's needed to make even a simple game, this is nothing. At this rate this project will never go anywhere.

You might think that I'm being overly harsh, but remember - I asked should I treat this as a serious project and give my advice accordingly, and you said yes. If you decide you're just playing around with ideas and pretending you're making a game after all, tell me.

Maxios
2011-04-18, 05:09 PM
Well, I consider me making six seven mods since yesterday experience making New Vegas Mods :smallwink:

Prime32
2011-04-18, 05:14 PM
Well, I consider me making six mods since yesterday experience making New Vegas Mods :smallwink:How many new models, animations, and gameplay mechanics in each?

Maxios
2011-04-18, 05:18 PM
Five of which add new characters, the sixth changes the Skillbooks. The seventh changes all the characters in Goodsprings and dialouge. The one I'm currently working on adds a whole new area to the game.

Prime32
2011-04-18, 05:19 PM
Five of which add new characters, the sixth changes the Skillbooks. The seventh changes all the characters in Goodsprings and dialouge. The one I'm currently working on adds a whole new area to the game.So... zero?

Maxios
2011-04-18, 05:26 PM
So far, yes. But, I'm going to read up on making Perks & Traits, Weapons, and other things before making something that changes gameplay. Making NPCs and Areas is (somewhat) simple, making weapons and changes to gameplay is NOT.

JessGulbranson
2011-04-21, 04:26 PM
Are you kids going to need some music? I would love to take a stab at it once you get in position.

Maxios
2011-04-21, 04:28 PM
Are you kids going to need some music? I would love to take a stab at it once you get in position.

Great! :smallbiggrin:

On another note, I haven't heard anything else from Methos about the Character Template creator. Anyone care to PM/Email 'im?

Prime32
2011-04-21, 05:39 PM
Great! :smallbiggrin:

On another note, I haven't heard anything else from Methos about the Character Template creator. Anyone care to PM/Email 'im?...you want an OotS-style character creator for a Fallout mod?

Maxios
2011-04-21, 07:26 PM
It was decided it won't be a 'Vegas mod.